Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
everquest is a hard game that once you know where to go, levels aren't that hard

I am just bored of green because I went to hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Makes me wonder how many on Green are still on vacation time, playing their hearts out to attain emulated eq glory.

Oh the humanity.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

moolchaba posted:

Makes me wonder how many on Green are still on vacation time, playing their hearts out to attain emulated eq glory.

Oh the humanity.

Or disability or unemployment...

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I'm not playing at this point so I can avoid these things.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv43UsG6fhY

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 7, 2019

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I can't seem to get this game to run. I install it, and unzip the p99 files, and then I get an error saying mss32.dll and DSETUP.dll are missing. The files are there, I have them excluded in the Windows anti virus thing,

Tried about every fix I could find via google. Nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? I'm on Windows 10.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Malaria posted:

I can't seem to get this game to run. I install it, and unzip the p99 files, and then I get an error saying mss32.dll and DSETUP.dll are missing. The files are there, I have them excluded in the Windows anti virus thing,

Are you using the right client? It should be an unpatched version of Titanium. I seem to remember that, switching from win7 to 10, the EQ icon had a little shield on it from windows defender or whatever shite it runs, and I changed something to make it go away - giving it the correct user rights or privileges or whatever.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Malaria posted:

Move the game folder directly under C:

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I played Blue at the beginning of the year and enjoyed the hell out of the experience, but I was unemployed at the time. I can't possibly imagine playing while working now and achieving any modicum of progress. I spent hours upon hours in waiting lists for groups only to spend even more hours grinding XP and not even dinging before I ended my session for the night, only to resume the process the next day; jumping onto a wait list so I can be drip fed XP again. Groups were fun, though, mostly due to the socializing, and moreso than soloing by far.

I remember solo camping Ro specters on my Necromancer, meticulously tracking the four spawns with a Google timer and grinding through a hell level. It took me dozens of hours, and I can't even fathom how many days that would take if I had to chop it up into casual play sessions; not even accounting for the fact that as a soloist some camps are flat out camped and you hike up your skirt and trek through the mud to another camp.

The nostalgic bliss that was P99 just can't be tapped by casual play, I don't think. I want to return, but realistically my sessions would feel like spinning my tires in the mud due to only having a few hours a night available to play.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Darkmoon2k posted:

I played Blue at the beginning of the year and enjoyed the hell out of the experience, but I was unemployed at the time. I can't possibly imagine playing while working now and achieving any modicum of progress. I spent hours upon hours in waiting lists for groups only to spend even more hours grinding XP and not even dinging before I ended my session for the night, only to resume the process the next day; jumping onto a wait list so I can be drip fed XP again. Groups were fun, though, mostly due to the socializing, and moreso than soloing by far.

I remember solo camping Ro specters on my Necromancer, meticulously tracking the four spawns with a Google timer and grinding through a hell level. It took me dozens of hours, and I can't even fathom how many days that would take if I had to chop it up into casual play sessions; not even accounting for the fact that as a soloist some camps are flat out camped and you hike up your skirt and trek through the mud to another camp.

The nostalgic bliss that was P99 just can't be tapped by casual play, I don't think. I want to return, but realistically my sessions would feel like spinning my tires in the mud due to only having a few hours a night available to play.

this is why I quit playing green

you cannot play EQ1 just one or two hours at a time

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Darkmoon2k posted:

This is exactly why I can’t get into a new p99 server. I’ll usually play new TLP’s as they usually have exp boosters.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
The experience difference between normal zones and zones with high ZEM is pretty ridiculous.

I mean I knew it always existed but you can really feel it on Green/Teal as a 40% exp penalty class.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Darkmoon2k posted:

I played Blue at the beginning of the year and enjoyed the hell out of the experience, but I was unemployed at the time.

The key is finding a cushy office job where you can play everquest while working, like any model employee. I brought a patched up p99 install to work on a thumb drive and play it all the time. "Yes hello client, I will have your google analytics data sent over later this afternoon as I am currently camping jboots lol"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Relayer posted:

The key is finding a cushy office job where you can play everquest while working, like any model employee. I brought a patched up p99 install to work on a thumb drive and play it all the time. "Yes hello client, I will have your google analytics data sent over later this afternoon as I am currently camping jboots lol"

I could see myself falling down this slippery slope. I used to have a designated work-from-home day which was normally spent in PC games, work email/chat on a second monitor, and actual work being done on a VPN'd laptop. We all lost that day earlier this year for bullshit managerial reasons. :argh: They claim it's coming back "soon" but I'm not holding my breath.

I've actually tried logging into P99 on my laptop during lunch breaks. The office network blocks the traffic. I have to use a VPN to play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea ZEM existed until over a decade after I stopped playing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Relayer posted:

this is a great post + avatar combo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DizzyBum posted:

I could see myself falling down this slippery slope. I used to have a designated work-from-home day which was normally spent in PC games, work email/chat on a second monitor, and actual work being done on a VPN'd laptop. We all lost that day earlier this year for bullshit managerial reasons. :argh: They claim it's coming back "soon" but I'm not holding my breath.

I've actually tried logging into P99 on my laptop during lunch breaks. The office network blocks the traffic. I have to use a VPN to play.

Yeah we have one dedicated work from home day :)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wtf Lake of Ill Omen had/has a poo poo ZEM? We all loved that zone!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm assuming any zone that you can fear kite in as easily as you can in Lake of Ill Omen has a poo poo ZEM on this kind of server?

As much as I'd like to, I'm not playing on it. I played from release until GoD on Fennin, and I know drat well there is no way I could play now that I'm old and have a family.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

As much as I'd like to, I'm not playing on it. I played from release until GoD on Fennin, and I know drat well there is no way I could play now that I'm old and have a family.

Hey I'm still waiting to see an episode of dateline that involves everquest so don't give up the dream.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm assuming any zone that you can fear kite in as easily as you can in Lake of Ill Omen has a poo poo ZEM on this kind of server?

Believe the chart I looked at was from live - it said P99 in keeping with the tradition of the original servers would keep the info hidden.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Groovelord Neato posted:

If the mob flow is fast enough the ZEM doesn't matter. LOIO had poo poo tons of mobs to kill and places like sarnak fort were non-stop.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Anyone move to Teal? How is it?

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Feedbacker posted:

Anyone move to Teal? How is it?

It's not terrible. You can typically find groups even during peak in popular zones. But the range is far shorter, by which I mean the players sticking around passed or just before peak is less. Also, the popular zones are still popular there. Expect to see "List cut short" for unrest and Guk. Weird thing is, MM is practically empty ( I was told when I talked to someone shortly after moving that MM was a "bring your own group" zone on teal).

I've been frustrated because I've slumped in my efforts to find groups. I don't think staying on green would have made any difference really. It just sucks spending hours running all over to find anything.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Is there a goon guild on green? 20 sham named Sabbra, I'd like to get guilded up if we have one

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
There is one but you have to reroll as a Daniel-faced halfling to join.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Relayer posted:

Is there a goon guild on green? 20 sham named Sabbra, I'd like to get guilded up if we have one

There are some non-daniel goons bumping around. I'm in Venerate, they seem chill, gotten me some good deals and some good groups. People from Castle have also seemed fine.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Lmao, okay. I knew about the daniel guild but I wasn't sure how exclusive it was. Makes sense though..

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
RIP Aradune

https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-and-pantheon-developer-brad-mcquaid-has-died/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Guess that new game is never coming out now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man....EQ was my first mmo. So many memories. That really blows :(.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I know I've made jokes about Pantheon never seeing the light of day because all of its backer money going straight up Brad's nose but this just makes me sad. Poor guy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
He’s doing the big coke rail in the sky :angel:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Burglar posted:

He’s doing the big coke rail in the sky :angel:

Pretty sure he was into the opposite, rocked out the roxy/oxy.

Sad to see Brad go as well, so much time wasted in EQ it's not even funny, really it's not....

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Red worth playing or is it a dumpster fire? Every year around the holidays I pick up EQ with work being slow. Thought maybe the apparent exp bonus would make leveling fast enough to be fun.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Red has a double-digit population 99% of the time. It is super dead.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Figures, bummer.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
"Red is dead" is both a meme and a real assessment. It's not just double-digit population, but low double-digits.

Despite slower experience rates your time is better spent on green, teal, or even blue.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

On that topic, where did Red is Dead come from? I always thought it was daoc. I am probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Kazvall posted:

On that topic, where did Red is Dead come from? I always thought it was daoc. I am probably wrong.

The Cold War?