Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Popete posted:

I bought a 500 GB SSD drive for my PS4 years ago and it makes a huge difference. When I play games online with my friends I load into matches in half the time or better than them which for some games Battlefield/Battlefront it makes a difference.

I expect it'll help with load times for Fallen Order too.

I will second this. Loading off my external SSD has helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Graphics aside, the acting, motion capture, and dialogue writing are phenomenal.

Main story is standard Star Wars fare, done well.

It probably helps that I don't care about Star Wars beyond liking the setting and aesthetic, so I have no oddly specific fantasy expectations for the game to fail to live up to.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thom12255 posted:

Trying to play No Mans Sky on a 7200RPM HDD was the worst experience of my life, playing it on an SSD was the 2nd.

lol

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Popete posted:

I bought a 500 GB SSD drive for my PS4 years ago and it makes a huge difference. When I play games online with my friends I load into matches in half the time or better than them which for some games Battlefield/Battlefront it makes a difference.

I expect it'll help with load times for Fallen Order too.

Doesn't Battlefield make you wait on X number of people per team before you can even move? That's how it works on PC and you still might have to wait depending on whether someone on the other team is using SSD or HDD. Maybe they didn't put the wait buffer in on consoles. Battlefront is the same way. I'm not sure how loading into a match faster so you can wait on everyone else's HDDs is beneficial. If that wait buffer is not in either of the Dice games you mentioned, then I guess congratulations on spending almost as much as a decent gaming PC solely to capture a flag before other people load into the game.

It may help with black screen loading times but SSDs won't help consoles with texture pop-in because 1.) 8GB shared RAM means it has to swap out data more often and 2.) the games are programmed with specific sets of hardware in mind, meaning the game likely doesn't know it can pull data faster. Definitely varies on a per-game basis. I'd argue that the overwhelming majority of console games are unaffected by an upgrade from HDD to SSD.

Look at Spiderman on PS4: Sony keeps talking about how fast the loading times (0.9 sec) are on the PS5's SSD but they sure as hell aren't that fast on your PS4's SSD, right? It's because there's some code telling Spiderman on PS5 that it can grab larger chunks of data more often from the storage.

External SSDs are even weirder because the enclosure has SATA-to-USB adapters instead of just using the perfectly good SATA II connection already on the console. SSDs are compatible with a PS4 but you're using less than half its total bandwidth due to SATA II port and a fraction of that because neither the system nor games are designed for it. Wasn't trying to poo poo on your SSD purchase. It'd be like buying a sports car but then never driving over 40 MPH because the roads you travel are too rocky and undevloped.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 15, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fallen Order is definitely a Metroidvania with light Souls combat and level progression and a dash of minor BotW platforming and physics puzzles.

SweetBro posted:

On a scale from Jedi Knight to Star Wars The Old Republic, how goes does hitting someone with a lightsaber feel?

When you're up against humanoids it's quite literally the best saber game, especially when you get more skills/styles.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Deflecting blasters back is an incredibly satisfying thing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Doesn't Battlefield make you wait on X number of people per team before you can even move? That's how it works on PC and you still might have to wait depending on whether someone on the other team is using SSD or HDD. Maybe they didn't put the wait buffer in on consoles. Battlefront is the same way. I'm not sure how loading into a match faster so you can wait on everyone else's HDDs is beneficial. If that wait buffer is not in either of the Dice games you mentioned, then I guess congratulations on spending almost as much as a decent gaming PC solely to capture a flag before other people load into the game.

At least in Battlefield you can pick your class/vehicle as soon as you load in so it is a huge advantage getting the load out you want before everyone else loads in.

It may help with black screen loading times but SSDs won't help consoles with texture pop-in because 1.) 8GB shared RAM means it has to swap out data more often and 2.) the games are programmed with specific sets of hardware in mind, meaning the game likely doesn't know it can pull data faster. Definitely varies on a per-game basis. I'd argue that the overwhelming majority of console games are unaffected by an upgrade from HDD to SSD.

The software isn't going to know anything about data transfer rates, it makes a call to load something into memory from disk and when it's done it's done. If that happens faster the game can move on to doing the next thing it was waiting on the transfer for, it's interrupt driven. An SSD should in general help with texture popping to some degree because it can load in those textures faster, you may still notice a popping effect but it should be resolved sooner than with an HDD.

There are some instances where an SSD may not help much but in general having a faster drive will always be better than a slower one. Also I'd be very suprised if an external USB drive SSD or HDD is ever faster than an internal SSD. SATA is far higher bandwidth than USB.

Also SSDs really aren't very expensive, if you're really on a shoe string budget I'd say get at least a hybrid drive but if you can afford it a 500GB SSD is like $60 these days.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The only thing holding me back from getting rid of my HDD and having two SSD's is because I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to install PC parts.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

At least in Battlefield you can pick your class/vehicle as soon as you load in so it is a huge advantage getting the load out you want before everyone else loads in.

The software isn't going to know anything about data transfer rates, it makes a call to load something into memory from disk and when it's done it's done. If that happens faster the game can move on to doing the next thing it was waiting on the transfer for, it's interrupt driven. An SSD should in general help with texture popping to some degree because it can load in those textures faster, you may still notice a popping effect but it should be resolved sooner than with an HDD.

There are some instances where an SSD may not help much but in general having a faster drive will always be better than a slower one. Also I'd be very suprised if an external USB drive SSD or HDD is ever faster than an internal SSD. SATA is far higher bandwidth than USB.

The PS4's CPU doesn't have instruction sets for proper multitasking, making all bottlenecks interrupt driven. I do agree with all your other points, though. USB 3.0 ports allow for 5 Gbps bandwidth and SATA II tops out at 3 Gbps so depending on whether the external uses a SATA III adapter or SATA II, the USB enclosure could very well outperform the internal SSD, strangely enough. Pro has even more bandwidth with it's 3.1 port. I think the CPU is still the limiting factor in getting a 600 Mbps SSD to run at those speeds, though.

The only HDD/SSD speed data I ever looked into was from IGN and it didn't doesn't seem worth replacing the drive for what might be 10% faster loads in some games.

Edit: at least we can all agree that any drive is better than the stock drive. I'll shut up about hardware and stop derailing the thread though. I can't play any more until tonight so I don't have anything to add to the game discussion.

Dismemberment: there's way more in the game than people led me to believe. Almost every monster can get chopped into pieces. It's no saberrealisticcombat but it's better than I was expecting. I do wish you could chop off humanoid arms like in Jedi Outcast, leaving cloth or something to drape over the wounds to hide gore.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Don't tease dismemberment :o

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The PS4's CPU doesn't have instruction sets for proper multitasking, making all bottlenecks interrupt driven. I do agree with all your other points, though. USB 3.0 ports allow for 5 Gbps bandwidth and SATA II tops out at 3 Gbps so depending on whether the external uses a SATA III adapter or SATA II, the USB enclosure could very well outperform the internal SSD, strangely enough. Pro has even more bandwidth with it's 3.1 port. I think the CPU is still the limiting factor in getting a 600 Mbps SSD to run at those speeds, though.

What do you mean by instruction sets for multitasking? That's purely an operating system construct, the system has to have multitasking or it would run terribly. Depending on what is being loaded they may still be bottle necked waiting on data to transfer from the drive though, such as in the case of loading an entire level.

If the original PS4 has USB 3.0 directly to the CPU and not bridged to SATA somehow than I could see it being faster than just SATA II.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get home and watch Mandalorian and then play this game. Hurry up stupid clock.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
To help with black screen loading times (At least it feels like it helped) turn off data reporting in the Extras options menu

When/where do you get the item to open "locked" chests? Feels so annoying discovering a chest then arbitrarily getting denied its content.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why is Archie a Jedi now?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Popete posted:

I can't wait to get home and watch Mandalorian and then play this game. Hurry up stupid clock.

I’m still waiting for my game to be delivered because Amazon release day delivery loving sucks for me. The last 3 games I got delivered on release day came a day late.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m still waiting for my game to be delivered because Amazon release day delivery loving sucks for me. The last 3 games I got delivered on release day came a day late.

I cancelled my Steam pre-order and ended up getting it thru Amazon for the $10 off. But I did it on Wednesday which was a bit of a gamble and I was afraid they might not deliver it today but I have it sitting at my desk at work staring at me and making this day drag on forever.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Popete posted:

I cancelled my Steam pre-order and ended up getting it thru Amazon for the $10 off. But I did it on Wednesday which was a bit of a gamble and I was afraid they might not deliver it today but I have it sitting at my desk at work staring at me and making this day drag on forever.

Mine says that it got to the post office at 1 pm today and they have it scheduled for tomorrow so I might walk down there and get it. Usually I don’t bother hassling customer service but this is the third time in a row it won’t be delivered on release day and since I pay for Prime I’m going to let them know that their service hasn’t been adequate for me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm surprised this many people are still getting physical copies tbh.

You can just download it, guys!

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
I am a soft boy that misses quick save every day.

Also it occurs to me that we all may go to our graves without seeing Kyle Katarn's glorious beard again and I just don't know how good of a day I can have at that point :smithicide:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chomp8645 posted:

This game was paid for solely via return credit I wouldn't've gotten with digital games, it only felt natural to continue the cycle with another physical copy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

It's $10 off pre-order for physical copies with Amazon Prime.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I can't wait to get a Scomp link so I can open these Scomp link doors. I went to Zeffo as the first planet, was I suppose to go to the other one for the Scomp link? Or am i just supposed to be Scomplinkless???

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Popete posted:

Why not get an Origin Pass for one month? This is a one playthrough game. Maybe replay an especially good spot, but there's no branching story or anything that would warrant multiple playthroughs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dudeness posted:

I can't wait to get a Scomp link so I can open these Scomp link doors. I went to Zeffo as the first planet, was I suppose to go to the other one for the Scomp link? Or am i just supposed to be Scomplinkless???

Unless I missed something there isn't anything Scomp-opening-related on the other planet either and in fact there is a hard-stop on progression entirely after a bit until you get a new ability (which you might get on Zeffo but I haven't finished that part yet) so you can't do much there if you go first.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

Why not get an Origin Pass for one month? This is a one playthrough game. Maybe replay an especially good spot, but there's no branching story or anything that would warrant multiple playthroughs.

I'm really slow at video games these days and I don't like the idea of having the pressure to finish it in a month. I got the $1 Gamepass for Outer Worlds and I'm still only like 2 hours in, but admittedly it really hasn't hooked me so I doubt I'll renew Gamepass beyond this month to finish it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Chomp8645 posted:

I buy physical for single player games because I usually resell them to buy more games. It’s one of the ways I convince my wife to let me buy a lot :)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

What do you mean by instruction sets for multitasking? That's purely an operating system construct, the system has to have multitasking or it would run terribly. Depending on what is being loaded they may still be bottle necked waiting on data to transfer from the drive though, such as in the case of loading an entire level.

If the original PS4 has USB 3.0 directly to the CPU and not bridged to SATA somehow than I could see it being faster than just SATA II.

The PS4's Jaguar CPU, AFAIK, was the first CISC CPU in consoles and it is too old to handle SATA II speeds at even close to max bandwidth, which is why the loading times linked in that IGN article aren't 2x as fast or whatever you'd typically expect from an upgrade to solid state storage, even on a SATA II port. Maybe instruction sets isn't the correct terminology. They had to make cuts somewhere in the CPU's design and, understandably, they went "we can cut down on the storage interface because we're using a SATA II port with an HDD that will never get close to 100% utilization," probably not expecting people to put SSDs in there because, at the time, a 1TB SSD cost more than the entire console. Having the SATA II or III port is only part of the equation--your CPU also needs to be designed to utilize that bandwidth. Even with the beefed up CPU in the Pro and addition of a SATA III port, you're not gonna get anywhere near 300 Mbps speeds on an SSD inside the console, which is already less than half the total bandwidth that should be available on a SATA III port. Nearly every laptop and desktop CPU from 2008 onwards, on the other hand, can handle SATA II speeds at near max utilization. Some games, like GTA V story mode, will load in half the time on a PS4 Pro with SSD than it will load on a base PS4 with stock HDD. Other games, like Witcher 3, don't really see any difference at all regardless of drive or console type.

I think Fallen Order will probably load faster when traveling to another planet and staring at the black loading screen (maybe a couple of seconds per screen--not much), but asset streaming issues are so baked into UE4 at this point that I would be absolutely surprised if they can find a way to patch it out for consoles. Was Spyro ever patched for consoles? I played it on Xbox One X with tons of asset streaming issues and playing through it again on the PC was a wildly different experience in terms of both loading times and slow-loading textures.

BTW thread title is wrong this game is called Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which I can only take as an indication that Disney is about to pimp out a new spinoff Star Wars line called Star Wars Jedi.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: A better use of $15 than Anthem, to be sure: Colon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Star Wars Jedi: The Order's Fallen And It Can't Get Up

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Star Wars Jedi: The Order's Fallen And It Can't Get Up

My name is Dr. C Everett Koop and I recommend Imperial Life Alert

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Rad Valtar posted:

I buy physical for single player games because I usually resell them to buy more games. It’s one of the ways I convince my wife to let me buy a lot :)

Yep. I only buy digital if it's a game I know that I'm going to want to always have on hand OR if it's a crazy deal from an e-shop. For a game like this I'm sure I'll play through it once and trade it in.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

dudeness posted:

Kibayasu posted:

Unless I missed something there isn't anything Scomp-opening-related on the other planet either and in fact there is a hard-stop on progression entirely after a bit until you get a new ability (which you might get on Zeffo but I haven't finished that part yet) so you can't do much there if you go first.
You haven't checked Zeffo hard enough. Do it harder.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno what this threads talking about, the prequels were basically 5 hours of Ewan McGregor and whoever played Anakin chopping off limbs. It looks weird that doesn't happen here because its inconsistent, not because everyone is sick on the head

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seriously, did nobody here watch Gotham?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
or shameless

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ran into a game breaking bug where my droid is needed to proceed but he is gone from the game, multiple reloads haven't worked at all.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Ran into a game breaking bug where my droid is needed to proceed but he is gone from the game, multiple reloads haven't worked at all.
dunno if you can backtrack at this point, but supposedly moving planets can fix this. if you can't that fuckin sucks and I hate day 1 progression bugs like that

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Okeedokee about to play another two or three hours of this strap yourselves in for unbiased information.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
For those of you saying that playing the game from an external ssd on PS4 is the way to go, I really hope you’re wrong because that’s what I’m doing and the load times and performance are terrible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Okeedokee about to play another two or three hours of this strap yourselves in for unbiased information.

Please buy a can of compressed air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is why I purchase a maintenance plan through the dealership when I buy a console.