Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

Neurion posted:

How'd you get a woman able to inherit with Iqta so early on?

Gender Equality: All game rule makes inheritance equal by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The North Tower posted:

I want to do the new Monarch's Journey, but I probably won't have any time to play this week. Will I still be able to do it next week after the 3rd one comes out?

I actually finished Konan after Llewellyn so you definitely can.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Complications posted:

Yeah, I don't understand the problem with having definitely-not-bastards in the line. If there was an event where the bastard heir could get found out and plunge the titles into a multisided succession war that'd be a real issue, but Paradox didn't see fit to add it. It was probably a bit too difficult to code, because that kind of thing is definitely up their alley. I hope it's in CK3 though.

I mean with cadet branches being a thing its the perfect time to implement it

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked being able to put your ruler or a son that you're trying to raise prestige for or at least train some nice commander traits in an army while being able to get a guy with high martial to do the real leading so that the whole army doesn't rest on your shoulders. Distributing the RNG also sounds like a good purpose.

I don't know if I have it in me to pay close attention to combat systems, but if advantage rolls up a lot of that into one number, that might help. Men at arms being smaller groups might also make it easier to keep track of.

I mean with the "knight" characters you'll still effectively have more than one character participating in a battle, it's just that there's only going to be one actual commander.

Only thing I really don't like about this is the "levies" unit type as "conscripted peasant meat shields" which is total ahistorical nonsense in relation to how medieval armies (and by extension society) functioned. I hope, though I guess the chance is slim, that they either change that or simply do away with it and have feudal levies consist of those men-at-arms they showcased which would actually be pretty accurate for the period. Especially so if it can be advantageous to transitition from demanding military service of vassals and instead efficiently get money out of them so you can hire mercenaries.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Neurion posted:

How'd you get a woman able to inherit with Iqta so early on?
This is still a bit early for that, but you can get to the required tolerance in ~150 years if you go hardcore hermetic learning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
trying to homogenize military traditions over the entirety of europe, let alone iberia, is going to leave a bad taste in someone's mouth somehow because there were tons of different military organization styles over those centuries over different locales so we might as well get used to them being crap somehow.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Coolguye posted:

trying to homogenize military traditions over the entirety of europe, let alone iberia, is going to leave a bad taste in someone's mouth somehow because there were tons of different military organization styles over those centuries over different locales so we might as well get used to them being crap somehow.

Sure, still no Medieval army was composed of "conscripted peasant rabble". Even in the case where peasants did perform military service it was (free) peasants who owned land and were wealthy enough to afford the equipment and could spare the time to train.

The idea of Medieval peasant rabble armies by now should be confined to the trash bin of history, especially for a game in a series such as this. It doesn't need to be completely accurate, but it should at least avoid blatantly false and outdated depictions of past (and foreign) societies.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's not like it's peasants with pitchforks. It's unprofessional militia who mostly does something else like farming. So it's not that important which specific equipment they hold. And men-at-arms are professionals who live to fight. Like in that scene from historical documentary "300".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

It's not like it's peasants with pitchforks. It's unprofessional militia who mostly does something else like farming. So it's not that important which specific equipment they hold. And men-at-arms are professionals who live to fight. Like in that scene from historical documentary "300".

They specifically call them "conscripted peasants" and "meat shields" though. In most cases feudal levies were mostly made up of professional and semi-professional soldiers (kind of the part-timers you're thinking of, but these would more often be from the lower ranks of the nobility who couldn't afford to be soldiers full-time, often we're talking about infantry armed with spears or missile weapons and cavalry outriders and such), serving under pretty restrictive terms which meant that over time rulers came to try to not rely on feudal levies so much and instead expand their own household troops and hire large mercenary forces.

Militias typically weren't part of feudal armies but were maintained for defense by urban communities (and then also typically drawn from the craftsmen and propertied citizens, i.e those who could afford the equipment). In some of the cases where you have militias that are large and well-organized enough to take the field you'll find that they are often quite capable of matching feudal/mercenary armies even without an advantage in numbers (and when you're talking about the wealthier cities and regions, the militias were indeed quite well-equipped and trained).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 14, 2019

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Randarkman posted:

Militias typically weren't part of feudal armies but were maintained for defense by urban communities (and then also typically drawn from the craftsmen and propertied citizens, i.e those who could afford the equipment). In some of the cases where you have militias that are large and well-organized enough to take the field you'll find that they are often quite capable of matching feudal/mercenary armies even without an advantage in numbers (and when you're talking about the wealthier cities and regions, the militias were indeed quite well-equipped and trained).

Sizeable mercenary armies weren't a thing in most of the Crusader Kings time frame too, that's more of 14th-15th century thing, while you can hire them in the 9th.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
CK3 has a starting date of 867 (I think?), I don't know much about composition of early medieval armies, but I am guessing that it might have been different and more primitive than what we know about composition of armies from high middles ages and CK3 will also have some kind of "technological" development from "mostly armed peasants and other rabble" cheap types of armies to "paid professionals, mercenaries etc." types of armies. Or maybe not, but it would make sense.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 14, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Sizeable mercenary armies weren't a thing in most of the Crusader Kings time frame too, that's more of 14th-15th century thing, while you can hire them in the 9th.

Mercenaries actually began to be quite important in the 12th and 13th century, as medieval kingdoms were becoming much more organized and wealthy. Then again more so in later 14th century and onwards when the worst of the collapse from the black death had was over. But yeah, in the early years no, mercenaries should not make up a substantial portion of medieval (european) armies and waging long campaigns should be very difficult and costly.

I don't expect this, but I always really wanted a potential CK3 to focus on the transition from the early decentralized and weak kingdoms in the early middle ages to the much more organized regional kingdoms in the high and late middle ages with permanent seats of adminsitration, records, efficient taxation and legal systems and all that good stuff.

Essentially that as you near the end of a Crusader Kings playthrough it should begin to slightly resemble Europa Universalis in some way. At least if you're playing in Europe.

Dwesa posted:

CK3 has a starting date of 867 (I think?), I don't know much about composition of early medieval armies, but I am guessing that it might have been different and more primitive than what we know about composition of armies from high middles ages and CK3 will also have some kind of "technological" development from "mostly armed peasants and other rabble" cheap types of armies to "paid professionals, mercenaries etc." types of armies. Or maybe not, but it would make sense.

The thing is that's not really how the transition went. The soldiers in the early Middle Ages might not have had as impressive armor and weaponry (as metallurgy made pretty great strides during the Middle Ages) but they were still mostly professional soldiers drawn from the aristocratic military caste. What changed (as a result of many factors such as population growth and the expansion of cities and foreign trade) was that in the later part of the High Middle Ages onwards was that you began to see states that had a much more impressive administrative apparatus begin to rely more on hiring salaried forces such as mercenaries and expanded royal household forces (the distiniction between these and mercenaries can often be unclear) and the old feudal levies taking a backseat because their terms of service were often too restrictive to be all that useful and rulers found that they could do make more use of cash payments from their vassals in lieu of feudal military service.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 14, 2019

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Mercenaries actually began to be quite important in the 12th and 13th century, as medieval kingdoms were becoming much more organized and wealthy. Then again more so in later 14th century and onwards when the worst of the collapse from the black death had was over. But yeah, in the early years no, mercenaries should not make up a substantial portion of medieval (european) armies and waging long campaigns should be very difficult and costly.

I don't expect this, but I always really wanted a potential CK3 to focus on the transition from the early decentralized and weak kingdoms in the early middle ages to the much more organized regional kingdoms in the high and late middle ages with permanent seats of adminsitration, records, efficient taxation and legal systems and all that good stuff.

Essentially that as you near the end of a Crusader Kings playthrough it should begin to slightly resemble Europa Universalis in some way. At least if you're playing in Europe.

And you should be able to seduce a horse too.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Randarkman posted:

Here we're getting into a part where "feudal" means "Western European". I'm more versed in Slavic tradition and I assumed it was like that everywhere (maybe at earlier times?..). There you had a clear division between professionals and peasants who were given some basic weapons and traders, and those went for campaigns with the regular army. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Russian_army#Before_the_Mongol_invasion) Note that after Mongols Rus has a system much closer to what you describe. So not knowing a lot about it I'd assume that you talk about a later, more developed system. It certainly looks like that with specialization and urbanization. So it's possible the system has a lot of peasants early on but later you rely mostly on men-at-arms.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

gonna raise a thousand unwashed peasant fyrds armed with reaping hooks so I can ruin history.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

and then seduce the horse.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

upgunned shitpost posted:

gonna raise a thousand unwashed peasant fyrds armed with reaping hooks so I can ruin history.

The Anglo-Saxon fyrd were recruited from free land-owning farmers. They were decently equipped and trained.

ilitarist posted:

Here we're getting into a part where "feudal" means "Western European". I'm more versed in Slavic tradition and I assumed it was like that everywhere (maybe at earlier times?..). There you had a clear division between professionals and peasants who were given some basic weapons and traders, and those went for campaigns with the regular army. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Russian_army#Before_the_Mongol_invasion) Note that after Mongols Rus has a system much closer to what you describe. So not knowing a lot about it I'd assume that you talk about a later, more developed system. It certainly looks like that with specialization and urbanization. So it's possible the system has a lot of peasants early on but later you rely mostly on men-at-arms.

Note here that in this article, even though they mention poorly armed soldiers drawn from the peasantry they also mention how even these were pretty few in numbers and that about 3000 was a large Russian army, this most probably means that we are talking about a militia force drawn from the members of the peasantry who could afford to equip themselves as warriros (IIRC serfdom actually arrived quite late in Eastern Europe, even though we typically know it in history as having persisted there for way longer) probably either due to owning land themselves or a village community together providing for a number of warriors from their collective wealth. You're then probably talking about something closer to, though maybe less well armed than (don't know), the Anglo-Saxon fyrd or the later English yeoman-soldiery (who famously fought as longbowmen and light cavalry).

But yeah, you are right about the Western European part and one thing to remember here and with other societies where you have serfdom is that as a rule you did not arm the serfs. You might recruit your soldiers from the peasantry like the later Russian Empire would draw many of its soldiers from forcibly recruited serfs essentially serving in the army for life (though I don't really know of any medieval armies that recruited in this fashion unless you might perhaps be willing to count Islamic slave soldiers, though I'd say that's a pretty different case), though when this is lifetime service rather than conscription it essentially becomes something different.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 14, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Iberians and the English conscripted armies regularly due to religious wars against the moors and Viking depredation respectively. We even have records of decrees mandating that every adult male in English lands own and be proficient in the use of their own longbow, and be ready to organize when a marshal came to call. The local authority would even send bowyers around to random villages to run workshops on how to make and care for these bows. Owning and using a bow was as much a responsibility of adulthood as getting a job and getting paid.

They’re totally conscript levies of random peasants, I don’t disagree that they’re not as common as CK seems to say they are but they are not ahistorical.

Also, it’s stretching the truth to say any peasant owned farmland under a standard European feudal arrangement because the noble with the title to the area could pauper a family by reassigning their land at pretty much any time for pretty much any reason.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also Crusader Kings honestly has always been pretty heavy on the pop history side of the middle ages.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I just played a game starting with the Palaiologos restoration in 1261 all the way through 1453. Even after god knows how many hours in CK2, I think this was my first late Medieval game! It was fun and just as bonkers as usual, especially with my save scumming. I managed to retake Anatolia (very gradually because it drove the poo poo out of my threat-meter) and I married my daughter matrilinearly to the Catholic king of Egypt, then when I played as her, I became a satan worshipper, bearing the spawn of Satan himself. My son, who inherited Egypt, converted to Islam for some reason, despite the country being largely Catholic, and was invaded by French crusaders. I joined the war on my son's side, captured the king of France in a battle, and inducted him into the devil worshippers in my dungeon. When the war was over, he happily accepted vassalization. Also managed to take over all of Iberia with a claimant once it was nearly unified.

Unfortunately, there was something bugged about the Anatolian titles in my game, so I couldn't great anything larger than a dukedom - and I had to wage these slow holy wars wars for 2-3 provinces each since I couldn't get a Muslim claimant. I think I waged 30 wars against the Sultanate of Rum. Never made it to Italy.

A few fun moments. Here's King Arthur of Egypt.

Loved receiving this request for my daughter's hand in marriage:

And here's are the final maps. I wish the game didn't become such a slog when you get big.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
have i posted this before? I dunno

im stuck with an old Toshiba laptop as my main comp rn and im looking for ANY ways to increase performance. Ive taken off watee trees fx all that goofy stufd but once i hit unpause its no joke like 30 seconds per day tic on slowest and i get messages several days after the events have occurred.

I know there probably isn't much more i can do but if anyone has some ideas let me know!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PSA: do not expand further unless your borders are aesthetically pleasing, especially if you’re planning to show other people your pride and joy. :barf:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
My borders were heinous for sure. Even worse at the vassal level. How the hell are you supposed to keep that poo poo straight when everything is nearly identical shades of purple?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

verbal enema posted:

have i posted this before? I dunno

im stuck with an old Toshiba laptop as my main comp rn and im looking for ANY ways to increase performance. Ive taken off watee trees fx all that goofy stufd but once i hit unpause its no joke like 30 seconds per day tic on slowest and i get messages several days after the events have occurred.

I know there probably isn't much more i can do but if anyone has some ideas let me know!

Do you have the performance mod that turns off all nonessentials and removes India?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you have the performance mod that turns off all nonessentials and removes India?

Oh poo poo i forgot about that ill grab it and try it out

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So I started as the King of Hungary in 1066 and used my ability to raid to quickly build up military might and fund wars to retake Wallachia from the Pechenegs, married the queen of Croatia to unify the kingdoms and create the Carpathian empire. Over the years I've ensured that every victorious crusade results in a member of my dynasty becoming king/queen, I used marriages to get a member of my dynasty on the English throne (but allowed them to remain independent), and my current heir became King of Greece under the Byzantine empire... that is, until the Emperor died and now my current heir IS the Byzantine emperor. I've been doing my hardest not to blob into my own realm, but the game just wants me to rule everything.

Dynasty View:

Realm View:

And yes, my Emperor got stabbed really hard in a duel in his 20s but somehow managed to live to 69 with part of his chest missing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Neurion posted:

So I started as the King of Hungary in 1066 and used my ability to raid to quickly build up military might and fund wars to retake Wallachia from the Pechenegs, married the queen of Croatia to unify the kingdoms and create the Carpathian empire. Over the years I've ensured that every victorious crusade results in a member of my dynasty becoming king/queen, I used marriages to get a member of my dynasty on the English throne (but allowed them to remain independent), and my current heir became King of Greece under the Byzantine empire... that is, until the Emperor died and now my current heir IS the Byzantine emperor. I've been doing my hardest not to blob into my own realm, but the game just wants me to rule everything.

Dynasty View:

Realm View:

And yes, my Emperor got stabbed really hard in a duel in his 20s but somehow managed to live to 69 with part of his chest missing.

Absolutely beautiful character window in that second screenshot. I love it when my heir has a big ol wreath around them already and is younger. Same thing sorta happened in my 936 Arles game: won a crusade for egypt pretty early on, one of my dyansts became duke of Sinai, his daughter somehow became queen, and I married her to my own male heir. That heir died before he could inherit, so the grandson king of Egypt eventually inherited. In a blink of the eye the hot pink of the custom Arles empire doubled its encirclement of the Mediterranean.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Looks like Sword of Islam is free on Steam this weekend, if anyone doesn't have it.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bloodly posted:

He's talking about the two enclaves of Pict colour in the middle of Ireland. Are they not yours?

things were a mess lol

fwiw the immortal pictish king was eventually conquered by the Aztecs, carved out Kingdom of Scotland once again, and was ganked by some Finnish immortal jerk who was 1799 years old and did a murder-suicide

his grandson (from his 4th wife) did win independence and created a grand pictish kingdom, but eventually succumbed to the chronic diarrhea he was subjected to his entire adult life

meanwhile the shaman at the heart of it all is alive and doing well in a plumb bishopric position on a remote scottish island

ck2 is the nicest paradox game ftw

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Coolguye posted:

Iberians and the English conscripted armies regularly due to religious wars against the moors and Viking depredation respectively. We even have records of decrees mandating that every adult male in English lands own and be proficient in the use of their own longbow, and be ready to organize when a marshal came to call. The local authority would even send bowyers around to random villages to run workshops on how to make and care for these bows. Owning and using a bow was as much a responsibility of adulthood as getting a job and getting paid.

There were indeed such decrees in England, but (as far as I am aware) we primarily interpret them as essentially another form of tax, now. The way it worked is a royal official tours around, finds the people in whatever community that don't have their bow (or sometimes it was other equipment) and so they collect a little fine. Things like this were at least arguably necessary in England because the monarch couldn't simply declare a new tax (requiring the assent of Parliament for most of the medieval period) so they found other creative ways of fluffing up the royal income.

There's really not any evidence of these decrees being used to raise armies that took the field.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Cheese strat for the "kill muslims or mongols" part of the latest challenge: invite to your court everyone who is one of these, then imprison and execute. You'll get this done very quickly and can then reroll and do the other two in a "real" run.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Paradox Interactive to players: kill muslims and mongols"

Now that would be a fun headline

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

KoldPT posted:

Cheese strat for the "kill muslims or mongols" part of the latest challenge: invite to your court everyone who is one of these, then imprison and execute. You'll get this done very quickly and can then reroll and do the other two in a "real" run.

There's a cheese strat for the other one with Jewish advisors too - convert to openly jewish, stock your council with decision-spawned nobles, and then use conversion to Sunni through wife, province or holy site in Baghdad. You have to be sunni/secretly Jewish for it to count but game doesn't track you were always that

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 17, 2019

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyromancer posted:

There's a cheese strat for the other one with Jewish advisors too - convert to openly jewish, stock your council with decision-spawned nobles, and then use conversion to Sunni through wife, province or holy site in Baghdad. You have to be sunni/secretly Jewish for it to count but game doesn't track you were always that

Was about to post exactly this.

Looks like the vassals-of-different-religion challenge also counts barony-level vassals, so having a fairly large demense goes a way towards helping it.

First thing you should do when you start is use the Decision to Offer Liege Help Managing Titles, and then take the titles he hands out for yourself. That should help go a ways towards countering your super powerful mongol vassal. I also murdered that vassal, too, so I got his poo poo. Get enough piety to wage a way to get one more county in Iraq and then you have enough territory to form the sultanate. Your liege should then transfer your large mongol ducal neighbor to your vassalage, and within a few short years you have a sizable chunk of territory under your control.

Get enough prestige and you can even convert to your liege's Mongol culture and go raiding, which I did, cuz I loving love to raid. Remember that even if you're of a culture/religion that doesn't get reduced boat maintenance costs you can get around it by raising your vassals' boats. They'll only get mad at you if the boats don't have any loot onboard, so raid the Indian coast to your heart's content and not have to pay a dime of boat maintenance!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 17, 2019

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

You know guys you don't *have* to cheese every Sweet Cheevo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

These are linked to CK3 content so it’s understandable that some people would want to just get them done

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

DrPop posted:

You know guys you don't *have* to cheese every Sweet Cheevo

It's not my fault the Manichean Church had a bunch of Jewish commanders just waiting to be invited. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Saw on social media that not only now the base game is free, but also Swords of Islam.
Call me self-entitled as much as you want, but I'm a person who has to work hard for his money and doesn't get his money in euros or dollars. I have acquired a large amount of the DLC and seeing in a short time things being given away freely, makes me wonder how loyal costumers, like myself, get rewarded for having paid for other people's free copy.
Sure, one can state that after having spent hundreds of hours, the cost benefit is interesting and one should not complain. It can also be said that Paradox can do whatever they want, yet if we go down that slippery road, EA is waiting at the bottom with their the Sims DLC packages.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread! I'm one of those filthy filthy casuals who picked up ck2 since it was free to see what all the hubbub was about. Previous experience in Stellaris, so I had an... inkling on what what to expect, especially polish-wise.

So, my game's run into two not-technically-game-ending bugs. One, my vassal antipope is loyal to himself and won't pay taxes. Hugely annoying but can be lived with. And two, my various Crown Authorities (Holding 3 kingdoms) absolutely love to randomly change: I can literally be clicking between the Kingdom Law tabs and watch them glitch out and go up and down. This second one is terrible as I see no reason to invest more time into the save if it keeps shoving inheritances out of the kingdom, forbidding me from revoking titles, all the while eating opinion penalties for high CA.

Of course, these are very well reported bugs on the paradox forums, from years and years ago to boot. Any known workarounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
New dev diary, about buildings this time.

It all sounds pretty good, getting kind of excited.