Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nina Turner or Rashida Tlaib.

Preferably Turner since we probably can't spare a single drat vote in either chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thoguh posted:

Did Buttigieg just not expect anybody to look at his list or something?

I think the buried lede here is that Pete isn't actually calling any shots

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

mormonpartyboat posted:

he's got the heart of a real boy

Like in a box or a shelf or on an infernal altar or what?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Feldegast42 posted:

AOC, with her gamer skillz, is going to take the coveted role of Shadow President

Can someone please post the gif? You know which one. Thanks.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bernie should name mike gravel as his vp

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I've said before that if not for the stupidity and paranoia of the rich, it would be remarkably easy to defang the left by just flat-out lying about support for left-wing ideas and blaming everything on the Republicans. But they can't help but be untrustworthy to an extent even normal people can notice.

they're worried that if the ideas are legitimized then the proles might start organizing to put in people who will implement them

this is exactly what we saw with obama and sanders. obama couldn't get poo poo done so now a major wing of the party is laser focused on someone they trust to fight for them

its much safer to nip that poo poo in the bud

its also kind of the inverse of the changes in the republican party. the donor class wanted their politicians to stop compromising and be more hardline so they orchestrated the tea party to ensure only people who will unquestionably submit to their will got elected

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

believe it or not, ilhan omar is 38 and would make an excellent vp

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Al! posted:

I believe it

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Did he get the heart from one of his victims in Afghanistan?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Al! posted:

Also not eligible :(

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Al! posted:

Not constitutionally eligible to serve as President, sadly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

Mayor Pete is a sociopath who has no problem stepping on people to advance himself. The idea of him being president is scary as gently caress. Like I can totally see him starting a few wars if it was politically advantageous.

Pete wants to become president so he can secure a steady stream of people to torture consequence-free. Every day Pete will walk into a sound-proof room and position secret service guards outside with the orders to let no one enter.

For his entire life, causing pain to others is the only thing that's been able to make Pete feel something. You can't blame him for taking measures to secure happiness in the only way he knows how.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

TheScott2K posted:

"John Roberts has made his decision; now let him enforce it!" - Bernie Sanders, 2020

Serf
May 5, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

what mechanism would prevent it, tho? like if there's anything to learn from trump its that nothing matters and you can do anything so long as you just ignore the rules

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
fishmech was an inside job

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh right, not born on american soil, that stupid rule

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I was wondering if Charlotte Clymer had any comment or reaction to Hillary's betrayal of trans women. looks like she doesn't! I'm shocked :wow:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
is America ready for a silver 4 Vice President?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Comparisons of candidates to The Smiler are old hat but Mayor Pete is the first one I can imagine pulling legs off a spider with a pen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Al! posted:

Not born a citizen, the soil thing isn't actually there.

The people saying "just ignore it, if nobody will shoot or impeach the President for it it's not illegal" are correct, so I'm now on board with her selection.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sojenus posted:

"John Roberts has made his decision; now let him enforce it!" - Bernie Sanders, 2020

In all honesty Bernie will have to pull one of these to get anything at all accomplished in his presidency

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Al! posted:

She was even naturalized at 17, that basically counts imo

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

What the gently caress

This is even more shocking to me than when I found out how old Mitt Romney is.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Al! posted:

i mean im not even kidding what she described is just renaming medicaid and having the federal government administer it instead of the states. sure, it's good because the states administering it means basically that chud states don't give anyone medicaid but it is so loving incremental it hurts (and literally kills)

thanks to the ACA, medicaid's been turned into a "public/private partnership" and led to record profits of private insurers hired to administer it). Bernie's M4A legislation has all of the good things (no costs) without the bad things (private insurers' profits).

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Serf posted:

what mechanism would prevent it, tho? like if there's anything to learn from trump its that nothing matters and you can do anything so long as you just ignore the rules

it's a good trumpian move too because it would attract endless outrage from the wonk class whilst doing nothing of any importance. meanwhile you dissolve ICE or something but do it on a Friday so it's weeks before anyone notices

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you're gonna do fantasy cabinets Omar as Secretary of State is (1) actually possible and (2) way better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Not born a citizen, the soil thing isn't actually there.

"Natural-born citizen" isn't really a well-defined term and we've all just basically decided it means that you have to be born in the US to run for President unless you're John McCain (Panama Canal Zone) or Ted Cruz (The Desolation of K'Thal).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If you're gonna do fantasy cabinets Omar as Secretary of State is (1) actually possible and (2) way better.

that is, unfortunately, too good

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Having to be born on US soil to be eligible to be president is some dumb motherfucking dark ages bullshit

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Am I going crazy? Is everyone else?
https://twitter.com/PramilaJayapal/status/1195440977441427456?s=20

Wtf

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

Having to be born on US soil to be eligible to be president is some dumb motherfucking dark ages bullshit

“Do the Con-Con!” He says Moulin Rougeishly.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WampaLord posted:

I'm legit curious what kind of Hail Mary tactic she's going to pull at the debate to try to grab the national spotlight back

I've given up any hope of Harris striking back and hurting warren or pete or anyone. Shes too focus tested and cowardly to do anything. She tried it once only because it had been written in advanced, focus grouped, t-shirts were made, and all she had to do was say the lines. When she tried it again it failed so she'll just never try again.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

abolish disctinction between citizenship and permanent residency

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

docbeard posted:

"Natural-born citizen" isn't really a well-defined term and we've all just basically decided it means that you have to be born in the US to run for President unless you're John McCain (Panama Canal Zone) or Ted Cruz (The Desolation of K'Thal).

Who's "we" here?

"Natural Born Citizen" is one of those terms where the wonks act like it's hard to figure out, but a two part test of "Are you a citizen? (Yes)" and "Were you naturalized? (No)" just about covers it.

The birther thing with Obama was especially funny because nobody was questioning his mother being American and, well, even if he was born in Kenya you can't really argue citizenship.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Like so many parts of the Constitution it made sense in like 1789 when they were worried about Lord Farthington Featherton VI showing up and running for president on the Definitely Not Agents Of The British Crown ticket but doesn't anymore

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The rationale for the natural born citizen clause is pretty funny in retrospect.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/March-April-2004/argument_amar_marpar04.msp

quote:

Why, then, did the generally pro-immigrant founders include a provision in the Constitution that would exclude immigrants from the presidency? The rule seems anti-egalitarian if one imagines a poor boy coming to America and rising through the political system by dint of his own sweat and virtue only to find himself barred at the top. But in 1787, the more plausible scenario was that a foreign earl or duke would cross the Atlantic with immense wealth and a vast retinue and use his European riches to buy friends and power on a scale that virtually no American could match. No such grandees had yet come to our shores, but it made sense to anticipate all the ways that European aristocracy might one day try to pervert American democracy.

Several months before the Constitution was drafted, one prominent American politician, Confederation Congress president Nathaniel Gorham, had apparently written to Prince Henry of Prussia, a brother of Frederick the Great, to inquire whether the prince might consider coming to the New World to serve as a constitutional monarch. Though few in 1787 knew about this feeler, the summer-long secret constitutional drafting sessions in Philadelphia did fuel widespread speculation that the delegates were working to fasten a monarchy upon America. One leading rumor was that the bishop of Osnaburgh, the second son of George III, would be invited to become America's king.

The natural-born clause clearly gave the lie to such rumors and thereby eased anxieties about foreign nobility. The founders also added a line stating that any presidential candidate must also have lived in this country for 14 years, but that alone wouldn't have been enough to quiet people's fears.

These anxieties had also been fed by England's 1701 Act, which, though it banned foreigners from all other posts, imposed no native-birth requirement on the head of state himself. In fact the 1701 Act explicitly contemplated foreign-born future monarchs—from the German House of Hanover, in particular. By 1787, this continental royal family had produced three English kings named George, only the third of whom had actually been born in England.

In repudiating foreign-born heads of state, the framers meant to reject all vestiges of monarchy. Their general goal was to create an egalitarian republic.

IWW Online Branch has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Nov 15, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

"an egalitarian republic"

wow, they really hit that one out of the park :downsbravo:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

abolish disctinction between citizenship and permanent residency

Abolish distinction between citizenship and non citizenship

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Like many stupid, stupid things about the constitution, it made more sense back in the 18th century when the Holy Roman Emperor winning the presidency and declaring America an Imperial territory was a legitimate threat.

AnoHito has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
But of course now we live in a time when the prince of Saudi Arabia is one of the most influential people in American politics so :shrug: