Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

HenryEx posted:

No, it's just that said exFAT driver from Microsoft (PrFILE2) is lovely, and doesn't handle errors well. It'll happen on any card, the only difference is whether or how quick you notice, depending on what and how much got corrupted.

Also not related to homebrew, the error can be replicated on Switch Lites, which cannot be homebrewed at all currently.

The error itself isn't homebrew-related, but the part where it kills your save data is. That's only possible if you moved your save files to the SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Guys I inserted my Pokemon Shield cartridge and my Switch lit up my house like Poltergeist then turned into a pile of slag. How's the Sword version?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jawdins posted:

Guys I inserted my Pokemon Shield cartridge and my Switch lit up my house like Poltergeist then turned into a pile of slag. How's the Sword version?
this is all part of gamefreak's plan to never let you use rattata ever again

they're doing this because they hate freedom gamers

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

this is all part of gamefreak's plan to never let you use rattata ever again

they're doing this because they hate freedom gamers

Not having Zubat is the biggest crime

all the caves are crying out in silence

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zubat was the best at being a bat Pokemon...

No! The SECOND best at being a bat Pokemon!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you don't want to redownload a ton of poo poo, archive your Sword/Shield game inside data management, clear about 10gb of space on the system, remove the SD card and perform the game download.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

If you don't want to redownload a ton of poo poo, archive your Sword/Shield game inside data management, clear about 10gb of space on the system, remove the SD card and perform the game download.
if the error is system-level, why would it matter where the game data is stored?

genuinely curious

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I adore the friendly Slimes in DQXI.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jawdins posted:

It made my Switch spit out a real sword, nearly took my head off.

Also some guy named Boris is now calling me all the time, claiming I'm now the king of some place called "Avalon". Apparently it's an island somewhere in the north? Weird bug, I should call my uncle at Nintendo and complain about this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Your Computer posted:

if the error is system-level, why would it matter where the game data is stored?

genuinely curious

the error is that it wipes the sd card, the quoted solution is for if you dont want to re-download the game if that happens

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

the error is that it wipes the sd card, the quoted solution is for if you dont want to re-download the game if that happens
but then aren't you just redownloading the game to avoid having to redownload the game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is Pokemon good or bad?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Your Computer posted:

but then aren't you just redownloading the game to avoid having to redownload the game?

You're redownloading one game to avoid having to redownload all your games.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mega64 posted:

Is Pokemon good or bad?

Yes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

The OS shouldn't access the SD card at all while playing Pokémon if all the game files are in on-board storage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Zubat was the best at being a bat Pokemon...

No! The SECOND best at being a bat Pokemon!

man, i need to watch Six String Samurai again

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The OS shouldn't access the SD card at all while playing Pokémon if all the game files are in on-board storage.
I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Funnily enough, the error underneath all the trouble doesn't have anything to do with the SD card at all.

SciresM posted:

The error code in question is "Software timeout in NAND access", and it's observed by the BCAT system module.
This timeout error occurs, and Nintendo's SDMMC driver resets a lot of state trying to recover.

This leads to the other stuff being handled by the SDMMC driver (SD card filesystem) getting messed up --> Nintendo's lovely exFAT driver corrupts the SD card, as tends to happen.
It's unclear why the timeout is happening when BCAT is trying to access savedata in nand. Could be bad game access patterns, or could be concurrency with accesses to read gamedata, or a bunch of other stuff. Not much evidence pointing to the cause.
Either way, don't use the exFAT driver and you should be fine/not lose data even if your console crashes.

I guess on Nintendo's end the action items are:

-Figure out why software timeout occurs for NAND access.
-Think about fixing prFile2, or using a less lovely exFAT driver.

Also, to be explicit: save data is not at risk at all. Saves are stored on the internal NAND, which uses FAT32/doesn't corrupt.
The only data at risk are downloaded games/other SD card files, and those can be redownloaded.
The absolute worst case is you lose some screenshots.

So, even if your SD doesn't get corrupted as a result of the bug, the bug will still occur in the background, probably resulting in your autosave not actually saving. Just in case you're relying on that.

Also, for anyone organizing a lynchmob on GameFreak:

SciresM posted:

Another clarification -- the crash in question may well not actually be Gamefreak's fault. The underlying error is an OS one (a NAND read is failing).Pokemon may be triggering it because its access patterns might be bad, but that's not for sure.

Even in the case where something about the way Pokemon's accessing NAND is triggering the problem (maybe frequent auto-saving + background content downloading causes concurrent access issues?), the game was approved by lotcheck, so its accesses would have been approved.
Frankly, I think the most likely case here is that documentation says it's safe to do whatever Gamefreak's doing, and so whatever bad sequences of accesses are happening got approved because they *should* be correct. In that case, it's an OS problem, not a Pokemon problem.

If this is the case, Gamefreak can still probably mitigate crashes via a software update that changes the access patterns to not trigger the issue, however the underlying problem would require a switch firmware update to solve.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So obviously you can't do Ringfit in handheld, but is it possible tabletop or is the screen just too small?

I think I'd be lazy to do my whole docked set-up every time I want to use it and the instantaneity of tabletop would make it far more appealing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So obviously you can't do Ringfit in handheld, but is it possible tabletop or is the screen just too small?

I think I'd be lazy to do my whole docked set-up every time I want to use it and the instantaneity of tabletop would make it far more appealing.

You probably could. It’d be harder to see the onscreen examples while doing an exercise and you’d probably miss the random crates and stuff you can interact with while running around, but as long as you still have enough space to exercise I think you could manage.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just turn up the volume for battles, but if you're trying to get all the items in the background, you might have some issues if you aren't close up.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is there a lot of metroidvania stuff in Luigi's Mansion 3? I've never played a Luigi mansion before. I love the Mario ghost aesthetics.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

eric ciaramella posted:

Is there a lot of metroidvania stuff in Luigi's Mansion 3? I've never played a Luigi mansion before. I love the Mario ghost aesthetics.

Nope

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
That's bad imo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

American McGay posted:

Save data is stored in the balls.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Has anyone ever had error 2002-2663? Where cartridges brick the system? All my cartridges have always worked fine I was just playing Skyrim on it yesterday, I picked up Pokémon Shield, and like an hour in the game crashed and I was put in a reboot cycle it couldn’t get out of. I took the cart out and it rebooted ok, cart crashed again when I put it back in, so was like poo poo I put Skyrim in and that cartridge now crashes the system. So I feel at the moment Pokémon did some weird poo poo, and my system is useless now. Does Nintendo replace systems for stuff like that?

Edit: it’s Pokémon. I deleted the save data, and the game. I put Skyrim back in cartridge works fine. Guess I’m not putting Pokémon back in. So for some reason Pokémon and the data hosed up other game cartridges from working.

Edit2 cause why not. I got back to where it crashed, which was right around after I got the pokeballs, saved and reloaded a few times ran around and played more and so far it’s going good this time. So fingers crossed was a weird hiccup, back to hanging with Grookey.

Sir Simon Milligan fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 16, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i mean yea still run a lynchmob on gamefreak because this probably should have come up in QA somehow, even if it's not on them

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

eric ciaramella posted:

Nope. I'm a huge fan of metroidvanias and Luigi's Mansion is really fun to explore. It's a linear exploration of that makes sense. There seems to be very little, if any, backtracking to previous explored zones to open a new path with a skill.

I've been playing LM3 concurrently with Bloodstained so every exploration itch is being scratched.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
To be fair, there is a lot of backtracking to make the game longer, though. Unavoidable backtracking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So if Pokemon downloaded to my system and not SD I can safely use auto save, right?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy gently caress, Warframe is legitimately great. I remember someone comparing it to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and while I don't totally get that (yet), that's definitely a comparison to strive for.

Goddamn, I miss ME3's multiplayer. I've only done one mission outside of the tutorial; does it turn into that? Either way, I'm having a blast.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I've got some bad news, Switch thread.

The Pokemon game is actually good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

So if Pokemon downloaded to my system and not SD I can safely use auto save, right?

That appears to be the case, yes (same goes with buying a physical copy). Then again, I'm using an SD card (with autosave disabled) and haven't encountered any problems so far so who knows.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

So I've got some bad news, Switch thread.

The Pokemon game is actually good.

But it doesn't have 900 pokemon in it

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leal posted:

It's not the size, it's how you use it

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

asecondduck posted:

It's not the size, it's how you use it

This doesn't make four-foot tall Wailord OK.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

And the ladders

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy gently caress, Warframe is legitimately great. I remember someone comparing it to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and while I don't totally get that (yet), that's definitely a comparison to strive for.

Goddamn, I miss ME3's multiplayer. I've only done one mission outside of the tutorial; does it turn into that? Either way, I'm having a blast.

Everyone who likes action games should at least give Warframe a shot. It's pretty grindy after a bit, but in a good way if you like constantly upgrading things and building new gear.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

as a dumb simpleton about games I’ve just opened warframe and seeing the path notes at the start screen made it all look extremely confounding

but whatevs

jumping in and will roll with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gamerofthegame posted:

i mean yea still run a lynchmob on gamefreak because this probably should have come up in QA somehow, even if it's not on them
As they probably only have one or two titles installed on QA devices, they probably install them to internal memory and don't even have SD cards. And why would they? Clearly that's something that the game shouldn't affect.