Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Well, I, I think that - ah *loud gulp* the best, the best yeah, the best answer I can give is that I, I - of course I've been very oh-ho very happy and wonderful life

Could have done without boris swallowing an entire packet of cream crackers asmr yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Well, I, I think that - ah *loud gulp* the best, the best yeah, the best answer I can give is that I, I - of course I've been very oh-ho very happy and wonderful life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXEuIHY9ic&t=112s

edit:

Seeing that UnHerd site made me think that surely this is some Policy think tank version of the Onion right?

Turns out no.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Braggart posted:

Real food is important for maintaining good mental health, though I recognise that it can be a difficult thing to organise. I also would never begrudge anyone their little comforts. But they should be had in addition to real food, not instead of ;)

I say this not to chide, but because skipping real food will necessarily have a negative impact on your mood and mental health. I find food preparation extremely difficult for mental health reasons, so I've come up with some strategies to minimise the faff for myself. Lidl soups are awesome. 99p and I just have to put it in the microwave, stagger back to bed, go back to the kitchen after five minutes or so, then eat :D I eat a few of their healthier ready meals as well, and I buy their beef offcuts to mix in to make it a heartier meal. This is only a tiny bit harder to prepare than the soup - it just adds a little mixing. I keep apples, carrots and peanut butter near my bed, so I can snack on whichever is most appropriate for the amount of sugar I want :D The peanut butter I eat with a spoon. It's a decent fat/protein combo in a pinch. Sometimes I keep nuts, tomatoes and oranges around as well. There is generally something around that I can face eating ;)

This is what works for me. I'm definitely not trying to tell anyone what to do, but maybe some of these ideas will help someone. At the very least, keeping some fruit within arm's reach can help get the blood sugar back to a sensible level :)

I've done quite well atm, made myself enough food to last me through till Monday in terms of Lunches and the next 9 days of tea as well.

Thanks pal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Batch cooking is very much the best idea, much more efficient in basically every way.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1195473141759447040?s=20

Grime4Corbs

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Josef bugman posted:

I've done quite well atm, made myself enough food to last me through till Monday in terms of Lunches and the next 9 days of tea as well.

Thanks pal.

Hi five! :)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Pochoclo posted:

Don't talk about burning fifties in front of homeless people, old boy! Most people can only afford to use fivers!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

this video ends before he says "I have no idea why I'm relatable" and starts huffing and puffing about what a ridiculous question it is

during the huffing he mutters "well how many relatives do I have?" which is a question you'd think he'd want to avoid raising, as the father of an unknown quantity of what I believe the tabloid press would term "love children"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

of what I believe the tabloid press would term "love children"
Many Tories are also the Latin version of that.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Block of student flats currently on fire in Bolton

quote:

A huge fire has broken out at a university student accommodation block.

Crowds of students have been evacuated from the building in Bradshawgate in Bolton and police have urged people to avoid the area.

One witness said the fire was "climbing up" the building and "bubbling from the outside".

Great Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said 25 fire engines had been at the scene since about 20:30 GMT. It is not known if there are any injuries.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
and apparently spreading to neighbouring buildings (or at risk of) if you believe this video
https://twitter.com/ace_love/status/1195455940952285186

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was watching something where an American (quite possibly on YouTube) was saying something about how Japanese people found compliments to be rude / awkward and they don't know how to deal with them, and it kind of touches on how English people are - more accurately - afraid of being seen as big headed if we accept the compliment.

If you watch Americans interviewing Americans it can seem very saccharine where the interviewer gives a compliment and the interviewee says 'thankyou, thankyou. You watch a Brit being interviewed by an American though and they tend to deflect by saying "Oh well really it was down to the director and writer and the wonderful lighting team" and so on, but won't accept the compliment themselves.

Very similar in real life. I've had friend groups I've hosed with in the past by just outright complimenting them and had to sit through about ten minutes of "are you taking the piss," then "It's just a shirt," then "yeah well it was on sale" before eventually I drag a begrudging "I like it, thought it looks smart" out of them.

God we're such a broken little nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbu-eMcEF3s
This one?
(It sounded very familiar)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

poo poo.

Are we about to answer the "what if Grenfell had happened before the election?' question?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

sebzilla posted:

poo poo.

Are we about to answer the "what if Grenfell had happened before the election?' question?

It's time to answer the 'what if the guillotines were rolled out before the election?' question.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Braggart posted:

I think that we don't get or give enough compliments. It's pretty unusual for most of us that any positive achievement or anything positive about us is recognised by others

I once heard of a theory that depressed people often need to learn how to elicit praise from others. And it seemed to match my own experience, where voluntary work (a situation where you can get a lot of grateful praise) helped a lot. So I do consciously try to dish out compliments, but it doesn't come easy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If labour has any sense they'll capitalize on it regardless, because even if they get everyone out and put it out it's only a matter of time before another one kills a load of people.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

sebzilla posted:

poo poo.

It's only six stories this time so hopefully everyone got out.. 25 engines is the same number as Grenfell iirc.

Am I wrong or is that cladding on the building?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hopefully people will have been awake when it started but there are probably plenty of students who are black out drunk by this time on a Friday

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks very much like the kind they put up for teesside uni, big cladding panels on the outside, probably made of thermite at this loving rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/nickscottuk/status/1195452308945018881

Christ alive the drat stuff's flaking off the building.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sebzilla posted:

poo poo.

It's cool. Just another result of the Tories shredding any kind of regulation over a few more quid for their mates. Perfectly normal country. :suicide:

I hope no-one is injured.

This sorta poo poo is why Labour needs to loving get in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/nickscottuk/status/1195452308945018881

Christ alive the drat stuff's flaking off the building.
Aluminium is a very reactive metal which is stabilized by an outer oxide layer. Until a certain temperature.

gently caress, I hope everyone inside is okay.

XMNN posted:

hopefully people will have been awake when it started but there are probably plenty of students who are black out drunk by this time on a Friday
Hopefully they're blackout drunk somewhere outside of that, although flat parties are probably more common with alcohol pricing so gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I said it's made of thermite I wasn't meaning literally for fucks sake.

Every single one of these developer bastards and the loving tories wants feeding into a loving woodchipper feet first.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
is there any legitimate argument for not ripping this poo poo off literally every residential building tomorrow?

like, what are the practical consequences other than it looking uglier? I guess it might be bad for thermal efficiency (the heating kind, not the going up like a Roman candle kind)

not that that would justify leaving them as deathtraps, obviously, but just is there even half a reason not to do it other than cost/aesthetics?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

Hopefully they're blackout drunk somewhere outside of that, although flat parties are probably more common with alcohol pricing so gently caress.

Counterpoint - based on the student housing a friend stayed in in Maidstone, the flats are so tiny that you can't get more than two people into a room.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Josef bugman posted:

err. Does having one meal a day and it being just mcvities chocolate digestives count?

Might be sufficient energy if you eat a lot of them, but lacking in other things you need from food. Eating just once per day isn't great either, if that leaves you hungry for large parts of the day.

My unsolicited :goonsay: is breakfasts. Muesli + (plant)milk is a nice and low effort breakfast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

is there any legitimate argument for not ripping this poo poo off literally every residential building tomorrow?

like, what are the practical consequences other than it looking uglier? I guess it might be bad for thermal efficiency (the heating kind, not the going up like a Roman candle kind)

not that that would justify leaving them as deathtraps, obviously, but just is there even half a reason not to do it other than cost/aesthetics?

A lot of it is probably the only thing keeping the wind and water out too. Some buildings are retrofit with it but a lot of new ones are built with it from the start.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ms Adequate posted:

Sebastian Sato himself could learn a thing from me
You taught him everything he knows about getting mad at war dioramas :v:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This is why I shouldn't be an election strategist. I just immediately go to the cruel thoughts:

How many points will the election go towards Labour if there's a death?

How many austerity deaths does each death here prevent?

Or maybe, you know, this isn't hugely significant in the election at all and I'm just grabbing at anything that might be good for Corbyn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You and half of twitter, if it's any consolation, looks like people are immediately making the grenfell comparison and the political link.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

XMNN posted:

Do you expect rich people to have to see the hovels of the paups without them being covered with some sort of flammable shroud?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If it looks utilitarian and brutalist then they can't advertise it as luxury for additional rent in spite of the fact that it'd be no less functional or comfortable to be inside of (and of course less likely to burst into flames).

I'm telling you, the luxury student digs are just ordinary student digs with a bit more MDF and a lot more rent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They already look brutalist they're just brighter coloured and have more glass.

Or if you're teeside they bought it in the iron grey colour anyway.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Waiting for the sensible centrists to somehow argue that there's no possible way that anyone could predict that aluminium cladding is highly flammable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oops, sorry science was right is a very centrist take for a long time.

Azza Bamboo posted:

None, because they are austerity deaths.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

You see the landlord might make a smaller profit then and we can't have that now can we?
:torysay:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Already looking forward to every single Tory mouth wailing about Labour politicising this tragedy instead of focusing on the very real improvements that have been made since Grenfell, such as the rehoming of almost all the survivors

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is why I shouldn't be an election strategist. I just immediately go to the cruel thoughts:

Or maybe, you know, this isn't hugely significant in the election at all and I'm just grabbing at anything that might be good for Corbyn.

We need to be careful about this (by we I mean Labour and its supporters). It's so easy for the Tories to turn the attention away from themselves and point the finger at us for "politicising a tragedy" :barf:. The less ammo we give them for that poo poo the better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

It is significant. Bolton South East is safe Labour due to the students, but Bolton West is a Tory ultra-marginal and Labour target #20 while Bolton North East is Labour but a potential Tory target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

TACD posted:

Already looking forward to every single Tory mouth wailing about Labour politicising this tragedy instead of focusing on the very real improvements that have been made since Grenfell, such as the rehoming of almost all the survivors

Check my mentions on twitter, who are basically saying that Corbyn set the building alight himself