Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Neuromancer (and the other Gibson books set in the Sprawl) are pretty explicit that all the wealth is concentrated in corporate zaibatsus who compete with each other on the open market and the occasional black ops operation - a plot in Count Zero involves a Blackwater-esque professional who takes contracts to poach staff who want to defect from one company to another - but never actually escalate into any sort of combat. The actual dynasties in his world start out big (Tessier-Ashpool is the main mover in Neuromancer) but end up dying to basically the same thing that always happens to inherited wealth, when someone gets a hold of it who's not as good as the main accumulator and then they get eaten by a corporation, etc.

also YT's mom works for the Federal government in the future, it seems reasonable that they'd have a law mandating that humans have to evaluate everything because it's half sinecure half CYA

It flips the power dynamic between corporations and dynasties, and also ignores the whole bit about how corporations farm goodwill to cash it in for scams until they get liquidated to make debt vanish while the profits go to the dynasties. Which, again, happens far less than cyberpunk setups would assume. It's less about being good at making profit or dirty tricks, and more just being born with the right skin color and last name.

Also given what's been happening to inherited wealth past 100 years - nah, the dynasties get eaten by other dynasties wearing the corporations.

... and also have you seen what governments around the world are doing now. If it's "evaluated" by humans the results are promptly ignored by everyone except when it comes to legitimizing harassment, and everyone knows as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Krankenstyle posted:

you forgot Kant

"if we live in hell and no rational being should want to be in hell then ending all life on Earth is a categorical imperative"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Paramemetic posted:

"if we live in hell and no rational being should want to be in hell then ending all life on Earth is a categorical imperative"

This checks out imo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

This checks out imo
:haibrow:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/elijahdaniel/status/1195374584804990976

the dreamcatcher in the background really makes it *chefs kiss*

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

what the gently caress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

actionjackson posted:

who is YT and YT's mom

YT is a young woman named "Yours Truly" and she works as a pizza delivery driver for Papa John who owns a country

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Watermelon posted:

YT is a young woman named "Yours Truly" and she works as a pizza delivery driver for Papa John who owns a country

this is just mean

EDIT: I mean I'm assuming you're giving wrong information on purpose

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

YT isn't a pizza delivery person, she works for an Amazon next day delivery service. the pizza boy is the other main character, the half-black half-japanese hacker who helped design the matrix and dual wields katanas, hiro protagonist

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just read Snowcrash

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

YT isn't a pizza delivery person, she works for an Amazon next day delivery service. the pizza boy is the other main character, the half-black half-japanese hacker who helped design the matrix and dual wields katanas, hiro protagonist

He also helped design the Matrix, and in fact the fact that people can sword duel in the matrix is all because of him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
With all this Snow Crash posting, I really am surprised that some startup hasn't created an Uber for holding cells yet.

Serf
May 5, 2011

snow crash is all right if you remember that its a satire of the hellish world of cyberpunk. the pedo poo poo is inexcusable tho. really neal stephenson shouldn't be allowed to write sex scenes, along with 99% of all other people to have ever written anything

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

this is just mean

EDIT: I mean I'm assuming you're giving wrong information on purpose

Can confirm it is 100% accurate.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Can confirm it is 100% accurate.

She's a courier not a pizza deliverygirl

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

snow crash is all right if you remember that its a satire of the hellish world of cyberpunk. the pedo poo poo is inexcusable tho.

snow crash owns otherwise but yeah

Serf posted:

really neal stephenson shouldn't be allowed to write sex scenes, along with 99% of all other people to have ever written anything

fat pink mast

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

She's a courier not a pizza deliverygirl

gently caress I am humiliated.

edit: She did deliver a pizza once, so technically

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
drat, hiro protagonist (is that greek?) sounds fuckin' awesome

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RaySmuckles posted:

drat, hiro protagonist (is that greek?) sounds fuckin' awesome

It's not Greek, it's a joke. Hero Protagonist.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

It's not Greek, it's a joke. Hero Protagonist.

:thejoke:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Gyro Protagonist would be a good username

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gyro "zeppelli" protagonist

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thank God.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Overly cute/goofy/dumb/implausible names in fiction (juvenile and adult) used to bother me but powerful people in real life having loving ridiculous names too so :shrug:.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

Overly cute/goofy/dumb/implausible names in fiction (juvenile and adult) used to bother me but powerful people in real life having loving ridiculous names too so :shrug:.

major double edged sword though

*sheds a tear for Reality Winner*

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
loving news going on about "whistleblowers have federal protection." Yeah? Then why is Chelsea Manning in prison? Why is Reality Winner in prison? "Good question," my parents reply. YOU FUCKERS KNOW THE ANSWER, GOD loving drat IT.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

loving news going on about "whistleblowers have federal protection." Yeah? Then why is Chelsea Manning in prison? Why is Reality Winner in prison? "Good question," my parents reply. YOU FUCKERS KNOW THE ANSWER, GOD loving drat IT.

whistleblowers only have federal protection if they report stuff to their boss, their boss's boss, the relevant regulatory agency (if any), or a member of Congress

in other words, the only kinds of whistleblowing that are protected are the ones that allow the government to do nothing and simply cover it up if the misconduct was actually an intentional policy

leaking to reporters or the public isn't protected

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah if you arent contacting an inspector general it's a crime pretty much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serf posted:

snow crash is all right if you remember that its a satire of the hellish world of cyberpunk. the pedo poo poo is inexcusable tho. really neal stephenson shouldn't be allowed to write sex scenes, along with 99% of all other people to have ever written anything

I literally can't recommend the rest of the book without feeling like a creep! Good job, Neal!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I literally can't recommend the rest of the book without feeling like a creep! Good job, Neal!

What's the one set decades later where the skater girl cameos as an old lady and there's data exchange orgies where the processing power causes a lady to heat up and burn to death after a guy downloads the info via his penis?

Police sound scanners could pick up the distinctive sound of aluminum nunchuks too!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Diamond Age. also owns.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Serf posted:

He crossed a lot of lines for that triple entendre. There's another part where he burns through a lot of words just to end with, "Magic Hooverpoon."

One of my favorite parts is when he's getting shot and his extremely expensive, top-of-the-line bulletproof motorcycle jacket is giving him exact real-time feedback through the integrated HUD on just how badly he's being injured and he has to turn it off.

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/elijahdaniel/status/1195374584804990976

the dreamcatcher in the background really makes it *chefs kiss*

how is this elf maiden complaining about how white she is

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Nov 16, 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The first chapter of Snow Crash is so loving fantastically good it makes you trudge through the rest of that garbage pile. If anyone's never read it, read the first chapter and stop exactly at the point where Hiro stops delivering pizza and the novel continues.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

The first chapter of Snow Crash is so loving fantastically good it makes you trudge through the rest of that garbage pile. If anyone's never read it, read the first chapter and stop exactly at the point where Hiro stops delivering pizza and the novel continues.

No way. Before you bail out, read the 3 paragraphs of Chapter 36 (page 271 of the kindle edition), which open with:

quote:

Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just read the whole thing cuz it's not that long and not that difficult and really it's the world building that shines. I guess you can skip the bicameral mind poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i will never read a book

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shear Modulus posted:

i will never download a book into my dick

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

how is this elf maiden complaining about how white she is
'Cause Elves is s'sposed to be green.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Stephenson is good in short bits but it's always chained together with long, forgettable stretches where nothing nearly as interesting happens

only read Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon all the way through, the latter has a cool scene where the protag is applying irl-theoretical van Eck phreaking, or listening in on someone's terminal session by analyzing the radiation given off by their CRT, in the next room over- that was neat but it's the only part of that book that stuck with me

couldn't finish Anathem, Diamond Age, or Seveneves

guy should write RPG sourcebooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Cryptonomicon is okay to read until it isn't and should then be thrown out a window. Guy can't write a consistent novel for poo poo