Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Was umming and arring about doing some door knocking for this election, read some of the stories in this thread and beginning to feel upbeat about it. Then tonight as I turn the corner to my road I meet a group of Labour door-knockers, said hello and signed up! Cheers UKMT.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkOAiyLHXM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be careful how you phrase it I guess but like, this is political, this is a political decision to turn over housing to private, profit seeking entities and to deregulate the sector practically or legally so they can build deathtraps that burn people alive, and then to say "that's just the way it is. We can't have anything else, that'd be ideological"

It is political, it is specifically political murder, and the bastards need to be made to defend that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Be careful how you phrase it I guess but like, this is political, this is a political decision to turn over housing to private, profit seeking entities and to deregulate the sector practically or legally so they can build deathtraps that burn people alive, and then to say "that's just the way it is. We can't have anything else, that'd be ideological"

It is political, it is specifically political murder, and the bastards need to be made to defend that.

Definitely, yeah. Openly suggesting that any potential deaths are good for Corbyn is dodgy phrasing best avoided though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Check my mentions on twitter, who are basically saying that Corbyn set the building alight himself
he was probably trying to set up the broadband and got into the mains wiring by accident

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/456054/response/1120216/attach/3/Post%20Grenfell%20Inspection%20Programme.xlsx

Post-Grenfell Inspection Programme posted:

Premises Title: THE CUBE 85 - 93 BRADSHAWGATE
Current Business Name: South Street Asset Management Limited
Borough: Bolton
Property Type: High Rise >= 18m (6 storeys)
Inspection Date: 31/07/2017 10:00:00
Inspection Type: Fire Safety Compliance Inspection
Inpsection Status: Completed
Compliance Check Outcome: Notification of Deficiencies

quote:

The South Street team worked with developers to ensure this refurbishment of an empty office block into high quality student housing reached full occupancy quickly.

This 221 bed development was delivered in two phases in 2014 and 2015 and our research showed the need for a high end alternative to the accommodation stock available at that time. With this in mind we focussed on wowing customers by introducing features such as our Skyline Studios with amazing views of the town and the surrounding countryside. The spacious studios overlook a central decking area which provides an exclusive leisure facility in the centre of this busy town. Bolton has a growing University and is situated really close to the Universities of Manchester and Salford so there is a large catchment area to work with.

The innovative design now sets the bar for students living in the town and as each phase has been released the property has enjoyed 100% occupancy.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

What happened with the inspections that happened after Grenfell? I seem to remember there were a bunch of cases where people paying insane leasehold rates were being told they had to pay to have the cladding on their buildings made safe because the leaseholders were refusing to handle it themselves, dismissing the one chance leasehold could ever have of being anything other than a free money scheme for parasites. But I haven't heard about any of the work actually being done, just stuff about people in very similar London towers living in absolute terror. Have any of these deathtraps actually been fixed?

e: Ah, perfect timing ^^

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

TACD posted:

he was probably trying to set up the broadband and got into the mains wiring by accident

on my second batch of training to fix printers, on the first day of the course I managed to get one to short circuit and smoke really badly. Even the trainer guy didn't know it was possible

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/nickscottuk/status/1195452308945018881

Christ alive the drat stuff's flaking off the building.

Obviously impossible to tell for certain but that looks a *lot* like molten aluminium which suggests it's the same kind of cladding as at Grenfell. Would explain why the fire's apparently jumping between buildings.

From the looks of it the fire started near the top of the building which would seem to be the only saving grace, and it seems like they managed to evacuate everyone safely, thank gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15375081.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"Students assured that flats at The Cube, in Bradshawgate, do not have same dangerous cladding as Grenfell Tower"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scikar posted:

What happened with the inspections that happened after Grenfell? I seem to remember there were a bunch of cases where people paying insane leasehold rates were being told they had to pay to have the cladding on their buildings made safe because the leaseholders were refusing to handle it themselves, dismissing the one chance leasehold could ever have of being anything other than a free money scheme for parasites. But I haven't heard about any of the work actually being done, just stuff about people in very similar London towers living in absolute terror. Have any of these deathtraps actually been fixed?

e: Ah, perfect timing ^^

One small data point, but the three ex-council blocks in Tower Hamlets with this cladding are now in the process of replacement*.

The problem is that the majority of this cladding is on new-builds and private refurbs, which is where you get these stories about leaseholders having to pay tens of thousands of pounds or the freeholders just straight-up refusing to replace them.

* "thankfully" LBTH stock was so poo poo they had to replace the outer panels on almost all of the blocks in the 90s and almost all of them got brick or concrete because no clever bastard had come up with the idea of flammable cladding yet.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pochoclo posted:

Where do they get that "STATE MONOPOLY = NO INNOVATION" poo poo?

Like, what about NASA and the loving shitton of technological innovation it brought to the table?

don't be silly, nasa is part of the military-industrial complex, so obviously it's allowed and ok. unlike all the other govt poo poo that doesn't even kill people

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's very fortunate that the fire didn't start 2-3 hours later as people would probably be a lot more drunk / asleep and less likely to evacuate quickly at that point.

So this means that the owners of the building knew that it wasn't safe and haven't got round to fixing it? I'm assuming that's what "Notification of Deficiencies" means.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15375081.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"Students assured that flats at The Cube, in Bradshawgate, do not have same dangerous cladding as Grenfell Tower"
given it doesn't have weather protection which is the extruding cladding which had a combustible core involved in grenfell had that's not too surprising if strangely specific

full foi for that prior report: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/high_rise_compliance_checks_sinc

RabidWeasel posted:

It's very fortunate that the fire didn't start 2-3 hours later as people would probably be a lot more drunk / asleep and less likely to evacuate quickly at that point.

So this means that the owners of the building knew that it wasn't safe and haven't got round to fixing it? I'm assuming that's what "Notification of Deficiencies" means.
we don't know if anything happened since, but ya i doubt they changed a thing beyond the fire service giving them a warning

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

End of the day the evidence the building was unsafe is the fact that it went up like a loving Roman Candle.

That should never happen. Fire doors. Compartmentalisation. Sprinklers. We know this poo poo works, we've been able to build a virtually fireproof highrise for decades. For fire to spread that quickly and completely the building was most definitely not safe, regardless of what the fire inspection said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more going with the relevant point being the students being assured it was safe, when clearly it was not. Tories and their pals lying through their teeth and burning people alive to avoid the slightest hint of financial cost.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

I was more going with the relevant point being the students being assured it was safe, when clearly it was not. Tories and their pals lying through their teeth and burning people alive to avoid the slightest hint of financial cost.

Most of the pushback I've gotten is "Well it was a Labour Council who built it, so it's they're fault", and I'm pretty sure that building safety regulations are a national matter for national government but no, Corbyn built and torched this building

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Where's that infuriating video of a presenter saying "WELL THEN ISNT IT YOUR FAULT?!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There's going to be plenty of time to blame this fire on negligent developers and Tories when it inevitably comes out they're responsible, but I do feel like we should go through the motion of at least waiting for the evidence to appear first. I'm sure it won't be long.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/aprilgrierson_/status/1195498748627030017
I'm not an expert on fires but it's hard to see how you would get this intensity/uniformity if it was just the soft furnishings inside people's flats going up. It's absolutely pouring out of every window, I hope to God nobody was left inside.

EDIT: Even if this wasn't the cladding, I hope Corbyn goes hard on the Tory refusal to mandate sprinkler systems in high-rise buildings. There has *never* been a multi-casualty fire in a building protected by a working sprinkler system, but they continue to build schools and apartment blocks without them.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 16, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Have you ever set a sofa on fire?

I used to live on a poor estate. Someone had fly tipped a sofa into a bit of wasteland around here, and we had nothing better to do. I tell you now It's wild. Flames at least 15ft high.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Don't you get it, it's because the market is too regulated. We need more freedom and the invisible hand of the market will install sprinklers and remove the thermite cladding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joda posted:

Don't you get it, it's because the market is too regulated. We need more freedom and the invisible hand of the market will install sprinklers and remove the thermite cladding.

megan mcardle who bought you an SA account.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Have you ever set a sofa on fire?

I used to live on a poor estate. Someone had fly tipped a sofa into a bit of wasteland around here, and we had nothing better to do. I tell you now It's wild. Flames at least 15ft high.

Not on the modern stuff though, it's all fire-retardant now. Can't imagine many students have decades-old furniture as opposed to cheap (but safe) Ikea stuff.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One small data point, but the three ex-council blocks in Tower Hamlets with this cladding are now in the process of replacement*.

The problem is that the majority of this cladding is on new-builds and private refurbs, which is where you get these stories about leaseholders having to pay tens of thousands of pounds or the freeholders just straight-up refusing to replace them.

* "thankfully" LBTH stock was so poo poo they had to replace the outer panels on almost all of the blocks in the 90s and almost all of them got brick or concrete because no clever bastard had come up with the idea of flammable cladding yet.

It was present on Plymouth's 3 largest social housing blocks, Devonport Towers.

Despite the government swearing to fund any removal of the cladding immediately after Grenfell they refused to release the funds for over a year, instead trying to force the council to fund it (having already slashed their budget by over 40% at that point).

The local MP campaigned and raised the point at PMQs iirc, and eventually the government covered the full cost and work began this year.

Utter poo poo show, total disregard for tenant safety, standard procedure for Tory scum.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jabby posted:

Not on the modern stuff though, it's all fire-retardant now. Can't imagine many students have decades-old furniture as opposed to cheap (but safe) Ikea stuff.

Isn't there a temperature where that stuff packs in? I don't mean the brand brand new stuff that youtubers like to attack with blowtorches for the views, but the old stuff that's just for preventing a few fagends on the sofa from starting a fire.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Azza Bamboo posted:

Isn't there a temperature where that stuff packs in? I don't mean the brand brand new stuff that youtubers like to attack with blowtorches for the views, but the old stuff that's just for preventing a few fagends on the sofa from starting a fire.

Anything will burn if it gets hot enough. Fire retardant stuff is a bit more resistant, but in a closed room it'll go up regardless after a while

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Who was that guy who came in and explained fire safety to the thread after Grenfell? We need him back.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Dunno really. I know it shouldn't sustain a flame by itself.

Basically I'm in the camp of really hoping the Tories take the blame for this even if it's nothing to do with them. Feels pretty bad to be thinking that while the place is still on fire and we don't know if anyone has been hurt, but that's where the current government has got me to.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pershing posted:

Who was that guy who came in and explained fire safety to the thread after Grenfell? We need him back.

Oh yeah I know who you mean, seen him around occasionally and I think they've still got the "Official UKMT Fire Marshal" av.

Just hoping we haven't got any loss of life in this, totally enraging but unsurprising that the Tories have continued to gently caress around and not do anything about this poo poo, and have lied and helped others lie about it.

e; ^^^ Even if the tories were somehow fully free of all blame for this particular incident, they've been playing fast and loose with national standards for decades and clearly give less than zero fucks about the literal lives of the paups. No need to give them any benefit of the doubt. (Also I mean they've had central government for nearly a decade now, they've had abundant time and power to take whatever measures are needed to get landlords and building companies in line)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 16, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/mr_elise__/status/1195511860784705536
https://twitter.com/_melissa2001/status/1195508250701119488
https://twitter.com/kateway_25/status/1195508064386002944

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving christ. If everyone makes it out alive it's gonna be a loving miracle at this rate.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"If our buildings regs are this bad wait till jeremy corbyns PM"
Tomorrows front page of the sun

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean with the occupants being students, i.e. the children of white, middle class people, this is going to be a lot tougher to ignore.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

love Corbyn, would vote for Corbyn if I wasn’t currently living in Yankeestan. Hope everyone in those towers ends up okay, and that they live long and Tory-free lives.

I’ve been lurking for a year and still don’t know how to get an avatar. Don’t want to see Trumps ugly mug when I sign in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The "new avatar" button at the top of the forum page.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

guess I’ll get when when I can afford it.

A coworker of mine is like, a former Tory and he says that conservative constituency campaign groups or whatever they’re called are either atrophied or filled with 50 year old purple party entryists, and that’s why he’s the only person I know who thinks Labour will win the next election.

Does campaigning really swing elections like that? It would be sweet if a little (whatever the foot version of elbow grease is) managed to stymie Murdoch and his media empire

PawParole fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also block the image using an adblocker, it's the same image for everyone.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Grenfell 2's got a nice ring to it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PawParole posted:

guess I’ll get when when I can afford it.

A coworker of mine is like, a former Tory and he says that conservative constituency campaign groups or whatever they’re called are either atrophied or filled with 50 year old purple party entryists, and that’s why he’s the only person I know who thinks Labour will win the next election.

Does campaigning really swing elections like that? It would be sweet if a little (whatever the foot version of elbow grease is) managed to stymie Murdoch and his media empire

Measuring exactly how much any particular issue, tactic, TV interview, etc. swings an election is an inherently near-impossible business, but the conventional wisdom is that a good ground game with enthused supporters knocking on doors and putting up fliers and so on can cause a huge upset - see 2017.

e; A lot of the time it comes down less to converting people to your cause and more firing up your natural base so they actually get out and cast ballots. This is why they like, carpool/bus people to polling stations. It's also why I think Broadband Communism is such a belter - Labour in this election lives or dies by getting young people out to cast their ballots, and that's a policy which looks perfectly primed to aid in that, without turning off anyone who wasn't already strongly opposed anyway.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Ms Adequate posted:

Measuring exactly how much any particular issue, tactic, TV interview, etc. swings an election is an inherently near-impossible business, but the conventional wisdom is that a good ground game with enthused supporters knocking on doors and putting up fliers and so on can cause a huge upset - see 2017.

e; A lot of the time it comes down less to converting people to your cause and more firing up your natural base so they actually get out and cast ballots. This is why they like, carpool/bus people to polling stations. It's also why I think Broadband Communism is such a belter - Labour in this election lives or dies by getting young people out to cast their ballots, and that's a policy which looks perfectly primed to aid in that, without turning off anyone who wasn't already strongly opposed anyway.

that’s pretty smart and I’ll have to ruminate on that for a while. I once read an article claiming that face to face campaigning swings more voters than tv ads do, and it seems to match up with what happened in 2017.