Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Maybe I should just drop $4400 CAD on a new MBP 16" and then install linux on it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

prom candy posted:

Maybe I should just drop $4400 CAD on a new MBP 16" and then install linux on it :v:

You can't install Linux on Macs with the T2 chip. (It can boot but there's no support for accessing the onboard SSD so you'd need to keep your OS on an external drive which isn't exactly the most practical for a laptop.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh, no way! Can you still install Windows?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

prom candy posted:

Oh, no way! Can you still install Windows?

Yes, and Windows includes a Linux distro these days, so ...

2019 is weird.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I tried to get down with WSL for doing my dev work before I installed Linux but... I had problems with docker

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

prom candy posted:

Yeah I tried to get down with WSL for doing my dev work before I installed Linux but... I had problems with docker

Did you try WSL2?

WSL is a compatibility layer, like wine the other way. WSL2 is just straight-up a Linux kernel under Windows.

Still a poor use of a $4k Mac tho

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yes the game-changer of doing what windows hello has been doing since like 2012

Poorly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmmm, Apple is offering the 96W AC adapter via the online store, and at least it's still the same price ($79) as the 87W, so it's probably a good idea to pick one up as it will step down for lesser power draws on other rMBPs.

They won't be in stock until Dec. 3rd, though..

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pivo posted:

Did you try WSL2?

WSL is a compatibility layer, like wine the other way. WSL2 is just straight-up a Linux kernel under Windows.

Still a poor use of a $4k Mac tho

I'm not sure if I tried WSL2, I went through the exercise of provisioning WSL maybe a year ago? 6 months? I dunno, time flies when you're on the computer for 16 hours a day.

I think I might just see if I can get this stupid app running under MacOS without Docker.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Hmmm, Apple is offering the 96W AC adapter via the online store, and at least it's still the same price ($79) as the 87W, so it's probably a good idea to pick one up as it will step down for lesser power draws on other rMBPs.

They won't be in stock until Dec. 3rd, though..

Who are you talking to?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr.Radar posted:

You can't install Linux on Macs with the T2 chip. (It can boot but there's no support for accessing the onboard SSD so you'd need to keep your OS on an external drive which isn't exactly the most practical for a laptop.)

FWIW there’s been some progress this year on updating the Linux nvme driver to handle the nonstandard extensions which Apple implemented in the T1/T2 nvme SSD controller. These extensions seem to be Apple’s method of offloading encryption to the T1/T2 chip, but they break the normal Linux nvme driver even when not using encryption.

It’s all based on reverse engineering, so don’t expect rapid progress and integration into mainstream linux distros, just wanted to put it out there that booting Linux from internal storage is no longer seen as impossible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait are modern Macs internal SSD storage encrypted by default?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait are modern Macs internal SSD storage encrypted by default?

Yes. They use an arm coprocessor to handle it and remove any overhead from the CPU.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, that's the T2 chip that's handling encrypting/decrypting, its a variant of the A10 chip found in iPhone 7s and also the budget iPad. It also handles Siri, Apple Pay, SMC functions..

It first showed up in the iMac Pro in 2017, and it's now standard equipment on rMBPs, Mac minis, and MacBook Airs from 2018 and up.

It also happens to provide accelerated HEVC transcoding, supposedly up to 30x the speed over doing it in software routines.

It's pretty cool in the fact that before without the T2, turning on FileVault could take hours to finish encrypting; with the T2, turning on FileVault is literally instantaneous.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Salivating for a 14" Macbook Air, or they could just called it Macbook at this point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If the 'designed by Jony' era is truly over, the Retina MacBooks will (hopefully) never return. Geez, they were a pain to maintain, you needed a special stand, you had to keep doing flipflops with it to get to different components, and God help you if you sneeze during putting the antenna assembly on, those microscopic screws will disappear forever.

But yeah, giving the MacBook Air a 14" screen would be icing on the cake. Along with giving it the 'new' Magic Keyboard.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 15, 2019

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

If the 'designed by Jony' era is truly over, the Retina MacBooks will (hopefully) never return. Geez, they were a pain to maintain, you needed a special stand, you had to keep doing flipflops with it to get to different components, and God help you if you sneeze during putting the antenna assembly on, those microscopic screws will disappear forever.

But yeah, giving the MacBook Air a 14" screen would be icing on the cake. Along with giving it the 'new' Magic Keyboard.

Considering that both the 13” 2-port MBP and 4-port MBP exists, I don’t think we’ll see a 14” MBA soon. The 13” 2-port MBP and MBA are already too similar to each other today and especially so prior to September or so. If one of them is going to get “better” it’s not going to be the air.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

They should move the 2-port MBP down as the "Air Pro" and have a cleaner differentiation. As it is right now the machine kind of sucks and is dragging down the MBP 13" good name. It shouldn't be possible to buy "the wrong" Macbook Pro IMO.

iPad/iPad Pro
Mac Mini/iMac/Mac Pro
Macbook Air/Macbook Air Pro/Macbook Pro

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just have a Macbook and Macbook Pro.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

They seem dedicated to the Air line, but I agree that would be the easiest. They may not want to go back to that well so soon after killing off the previously named 12" Macbook though, they already hosed it all up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The screen size shouldn't be a factor whether something is pro. Back in the G4 days they had 12" and 14" iBooks and 12"/15"/17" Powerbooks.

Also it's weird how they sell a Mac Pro but there isn't just a product called Mac. Maybe if they made a larger Mac Mini.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It's not about the size, it's that the Macbook sucks incredible amounts of rear end.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So, there seems to be this one new component to the 16-inch 2019 rMBP that stands out from a service point of view, something called the Lid Angle Sensor. It's located by one of the hinges and uses a magnet to determine whether or not to wake/sleep. It's another part that must be calibrated before the whole shebang can go back to the user.

Doesn't exist on any other Mac laptop, but looks like it'll be the standard from now on, replacing the old Hall effect sensor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

charity rereg posted:

They should move the 2-port MBP down as the "Air Pro" and have a cleaner differentiation. As it is right now the machine kind of sucks and is dragging down the MBP 13" good name. It shouldn't be possible to buy "the wrong" Macbook Pro IMO.

iPad/iPad Pro
Mac Mini/iMac/Mac Pro
Macbook Air/Macbook Air Pro/Macbook Pro

The current model is actually within like 5% performance-wise of its 4 port sibling.

It’s weird- the lower power CPU is like virtually indistinguishable on most stress tests despite the on-paper spec difference. But once you start adding RAM and storage you end up with like $200 between them. I’d always just end up going with the nicer model at that point. More ports and way better speakers. But it’s not like last year where the worst MBP had half as many cores.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Won't the next 13" have a hex core?

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Won't the next 13" have a hex core?

Unlikely as it is probably going to run Ice Lake. 10nm, 20% IPC increase, decent iGPU, up to LPDDR4-3733 but only available as dual and quadcore because of yield problems.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The current model is actually within like 5% performance-wise of its 4 port sibling.

It’s weird- the lower power CPU is like virtually indistinguishable on most stress tests despite the on-paper spec difference. But once you start adding RAM and storage you end up with like $200 between them. I’d always just end up going with the nicer model at that point. More ports and way better speakers. But it’s not like last year where the worst MBP had half as many cores.

To me it's the "pro" moniker - the SSD is slower, it has significantly worse speakers (why??), has fewer and louder fans, a 2x2 wifi system ( the 2.4ghz model has 3x3) - there are cost and performance savings thoughout the machine which make it not at all "Professional" and are hidden behind the Macbook pro badge. It's a nicer air, it's not a Pro. I've made my peace with the ports and adapters long ago. It's just... not a Professional machine. It's the nicer everyday/office/home user machine and belongs a tier down. There are big hardware differences throughout.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

charity rereg posted:

To me it's the "pro" moniker - the SSD is slower, it has significantly worse speakers (why??), has fewer and louder fans, a 2x2 wifi system ( the 2.4ghz model has 3x3) - there are cost and performance savings thoughout the machine which make it not at all "Professional" and are hidden behind the Macbook pro badge. It's a nicer air, it's not a Pro. I've made my peace with the ports and adapters long ago. It's just... not a Professional machine. It's the nicer everyday/office/home user machine and belongs a tier down. There are big hardware differences throughout.

I agree on all counts- but it’s also not as bad of a downgrade as, like, the base model iMac. Or as much as the budget MBP was last year when everything above was true and it had a dual core.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ifixit did their 16" mbp teardown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Lyv0gpGak

one tidbit is that they found you can swap keys with the Magic keyboard, though the thickness is different. But it goes to show how similar the design is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So by "refined scissor mechanism" they mean "scissor mechanism"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Data Graham posted:

So by "refined scissor mechanism" they mean "scissor mechanism"

But less wobble. The only good part about the butterfly keys. So basically a perfect laptop keyboard. I can finally stop lusting over a thinkpad carbon for my next computer

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m glad MacBooks are good again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just did a HD and Memory swap in a 2012 MBP. I love how easy they are.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Typing this on a 16" MacBook Pro AMA.

I like the keyboard. My girlfriend is on the couch next to me tapping away at some work emails and her keyboard is much louder than mine as I type this (hers is a 2012?? 13" MBP). The screen is not noticeably bigger than my 2017 15", even with both side by side. The keyboard is loads better than the butterfly keyboard I very much hate. I've mapped CAPS LOCK back to CTRL the way g_d intended because I have a big beautiful escape key again. I really don't hate the touch bar I just hated the lack of escape. I can also find the arrow keys without thinking about it because of their T shape, too.

I've been playing with it for like half an hour installing apps and stuff, but so far it's good. 32 gigs of RAM will be nice for VMs. Beyond the keyboard and slightly bigger screen it is business as usual. I will be selling my 2017 MBP and keeping this one, I think.

My Apple store had a few base level display units out today, if anyone was planning to try and check them out. I ordered online and went into the store to play around with the displays before actually picking up my order.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
iFixit examined the 16" MBP keyboard and as far as they can tell, Apple's back to the same scissor mechanism as they were before, maybe ever-so--slightly different.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s really ironic that they made the modern MBP so difficult to repair (especially the keyboard) and then proceeded to put a super lovely prone to fail keyboard in it only to eat the steep repair costs themselves. The bean counters and the ghost of Steve must have been going wild.

A benevolent mind would put scissor keyboards as replacements into failed butterfly units or else those machines will be destined for doom sooner or later repair program or not.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are there any good routes to selling older hardware besides Swappa? I bit on the Best Buy deal and am looking to unload my 2015 13" base model MBP. Apple is offering $380 in gift card form, but I'd rather not. On the other hand, that's really not that bad an offer for 4-year-old computer hardware that originally cost around $900 w/ a student discount.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Craigslist is a pain to deal with but I always get the most money for my used stuff there. Always meet at a starbucks or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OfferUP works ok as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Yeah, I've always sold things on Craigslist without much issue. Definitely meet in public and count the cash before parting ways thought.