Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If you don't have it yet, absolutely get the +50% for Yggdrasil's first fruit of every rebirth. It's utterly fantastic and I so regret getting it maxed as late as I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Omi no Kami posted:

Could I get some advice on spending PP? I have a decent haul after not looking at this for almost a year, the top row's maxed out (except for the rich jerks thing), and I bought all of the inventory/accessory spaces and one of the gold digger slots. Everything else kinda blurs together though, so I'm not sure where my points will have the most impact.

Get the Crappy Perk. It pays dividends forever. Dividends of poo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yoinked both! I still have like 1,000 PP sitting around so I'm probably going to bank it until I see something obviously useful, but holy crap coming back to this game after a while is overwhelming.

Speaking of which, is there a guide anywhere for exp distribution? I have a truly disgusting amount saved up, and I completely forget what the ratios are for spending it. (I'm at level 121 and idling to build the mega lands set if that's useful, but I assume exp is always spent in a mostly same-ish direction.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

Yoinked both! I still have like 1,000 PP sitting around so I'm probably going to bank it until I see something obviously useful, but holy crap coming back to this game after a while is overwhelming.

Speaking of which, is there a guide anywhere for exp distribution? I have a truly disgusting amount saved up, and I completely forget what the ratios are for spending it. (I'm at level 121 and idling to build the mega lands set if that's useful, but I assume exp is always spent in a mostly same-ish direction.)

how much is a disgusting amount, if you have like 1000 pp and are in the mega lands, you probably could get a bunch of the adventure QOL stuff + extra beard slot and then start sinking it into energy/magic

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

how much is a disgusting amount, if you have like 1000 pp and are in the mega lands, you probably could get a bunch of the adventure QOL stuff + extra beard slot and then start sinking it into energy/magic

Well, disgusting for the returns my brain was calibrated for pre-break. I'm sitting on a little over 1.4 million exp, and here are my guy's stats:

(Note that wandoos/ngu/augments/etc have been running for nearly a year, so the current totals are unrealistically high relative to what I usually get during a new rebirth.)

And yeah, I yoinked all of the adventure specials except for the Another Another Daycare Slot, and I'm waiting to buy new Yggdrasil seeds until my energy and magic are high enough to automate them.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
A lot of games have a regular prestige /ascension mechanic, and quite a few have a second prestige with things like transcendence, but has any game gone for the triple prestige / ascension yet?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

shs posted:

A lot of games have a regular prestige /ascension mechanic, and quite a few have a second prestige with things like transcendence, but has any game gone for the triple prestige / ascension yet?

Antimatter Dimensions has like 6 prestige layers, each one automating the previous layer.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Antimatter Dimensions has like 6 prestige layers, each one automating the previous layer.

Seems like just a more complicated way to derive NUMBER.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
what do I lose out on by closing NGU as opposed to leaving it open?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Saraiguma posted:

what do I lose out on by closing NGU as opposed to leaving it open?

Drops

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Buying adventuring stats with exp is schmuck bait, right? I'm better off doing the 1:40k:1 ratio to goose up my energy/magic until I'm literally swimming in unnecessary points?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Omi no Kami posted:

Buying adventuring stats with exp is schmuck bait, right? I'm better off doing the 1:40k:1 ratio to goose up my energy/magic until I'm literally swimming in unnecessary points?

I've found some success buying a few adventure stats to get over humps. For example from the forest to the sky if you buy like 100 offense and a regen point and you can make that jump. I also bought some more to make the jump from a very strange place to the mega lands. But you should only buy those stats for specific purposes. The jump from the Mega lands to Beardverse is a bit steeper and I basically needed NGU Adventure a and beards unlocked. That said at that point you can just rebirth for a quick 1000exp anyway.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Omi no Kami posted:

I didn't buy any until the evil-> sad hump and felt like I was never wanting

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay cool, that's good to know- thanks guys! :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Buying adventure stats is apparently really good for rushing through content and like doing speedruns or something. Because that's a thing that people do, apparently.

But yeah, for sensible play it's probably nice but definitely unneeded,.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Omi no Kami posted:

yeah, though if you're also buying yggsdrasil automation, keep in mind that the barrier for automation is your current buffed cap and that once turned on, automation is permanent, even if your buffed cap drops below the 10c threshold

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

yeah, though if you're also buying yggsdrasil automation, keep in mind that the barrier for automation is your current buffed cap and that once turned on, automation is permanent, even if your buffed cap drops below the 10c threshold

I kept cap gear around specifically for this for While because lol at manually activating fruit

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I almost have the Mega Lands unlocked, 3mil energy, 1mil magic, GRB set is almost maxed. Should I bother with the sets from the next two adventure areas to keep at this point or just do as the guide suggests and push? I've got 3 acc slots as well, and the red, yellow, and blue hearts. And I'm currently planning on saving EXP for the daycare slot (just a bit under 7k XP currently.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Can I safely trash the ring of apathy once it hits 100? I'm really unclear whether autokill requires it in my inventory, or just maxxed out in the item list.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Can I safely trash the ring of apathy once it hits 100? I'm really unclear whether autokill requires it in my inventory, or just maxxed out in the item list.

Autokill only needs it to be maxed out, it's okay to trash once it's 100 and you have enough stats to casually autokill.

I still keep it in my inventory as a memento like a doofus.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

Autokill only needs it to be maxed out, it's okay to trash once it's 100 and you have enough stats to casually autokill.

I still keep it in my inventory as a memento like a doofus.

Awesome, thanks!

And yeah, I'm at the point where I have enough inventory space that I probably shouldn't sweat the odd slot or two, but my inner OCD guy constantly campaigns for a 100% clean inventory ready to be filled with goofy nonsense.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

I almost have the Mega Lands unlocked, 3mil energy, 1mil magic, GRB set is almost maxed. Should I bother with the sets from the next two adventure areas to keep at this point or just do as the guide suggests and push? I've got 3 acc slots as well, and the red, yellow, and blue hearts. And I'm currently planning on saving EXP for the daycare slot (just a bit under 7k XP currently.)

you should definitely go back and get them after the fact (they give respawn and item drop bonuses for maxing), but Spoopy Gear is probably the next major upgrade in regards to power tiers, plus you need it to farm the ITOPOD properly.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I'm working on the Clock Dimension set since it's almost maxed, so I'll push from there. Seems like the sensible progression. And grab some of the gear from the, I think Far Off Lands? To improve stats once the GRB set is maxed. So I can start working on Jake and the Mega Lands.

About what point also with equipment will it be a breeze to push through quick basic/24 hour ascensions? They still take me about 4-6 hours currently. Folk. On discord said to hold off on those for awhile.

My basics are almost all capped now at least, I think they need about 8 more ascensions there for the last one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well I'm working on the Clock Dimension set since it's almost maxed, so I'll push from there. Seems like the sensible progression. And grab some of the gear from the, I think Far Off Lands? To improve stats once the GRB set is maxed. So I can start working on Jake and the Mega Lands.

About what point also with equipment will it be a breeze to push through quick basic/24 hour ascensions? They still take me about 4-6 hours currently. Folk. On discord said to hold off on those for awhile.

My basics are almost all capped now at least, I think they need about 8 more ascensions there for the last one.

basic challenges/24 hour challenges? do a few to get stuff unlocked, then shelve them until you can afford to get a few thousand levels in the NGUs (which should happen after getting the 4th titan's secret ring which really kills NGU speed)

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Eldercain posted:

I kept cap gear around specifically for this for While because lol at manually activating fruit

You don't manually activate fruit?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gay Hitler posted:

the other benefit of automatically activating fruit is that it permanently waives the energy or magic cost of that type of fruit

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Speaking of keeping items, do i need to keep all the items used to unlock exile and his secret drop? Ive got that maxed for like 3 months now

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basic challenges/24 hour challenges? do a few to get stuff unlocked, then shelve them until you can afford to get a few thousand levels in the NGUs (which should happen after getting the 4th titan's secret ring which really kills NGU speed)

I've done at least one of each, but laziness and wanting progress has kept me from doing more.

E - Maxed the Clock set, and working on getting some of the 2D set up a bit so I can push into the Battlefield, woo. Should I save to the 25k EXP for a daycare slot, or go for 30k for the accessory then. I'm thinking daycare so I can level two hearts at the same time would be the more prudent play.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 17, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Gay Hitler posted:

Nope, if you can't afford the auto usually activation is a big chunk of your em and I'm extremely lazy

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a point at which doing the troll challenges isn't awful? The benefits look great but I have a really low threshold of annoyance for NGU's troll stuff and really don't want to push through a bunch of nonsense.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Troll challenges are honestly the easiest of the scaling challenges, it's just a matter of playing actively and rebirthing right after the big troll.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Jabor posted:

Troll challenges are honestly the easiest of the scaling challenges, it's just a matter of playing actively and rebirthing right after the big troll.

Pretty much. If you can't reliably hit the target boss doing this, you just need more stats. Don't try to push troll challenges you're not ready for, you'll hate everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a point at which doing the troll challenges isn't awful? The benefits look great but I have a really low threshold of annoyance for NGU's troll stuff and really don't want to push through a bunch of nonsense.

One of the biggest power jumps that isn't a new feature unlock (like beards or gold diggers) is getting the Quicker Power Fruit Beta activation perk- assuming you've gotten some decent levels into the fruit, at 30 minutes you get another 2-3 or more bosses. And you really don't want to wait until 1 hour for the regular fruit activation.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You're rebirthing at 6min, tops, during Troll Challenges, Quicker Activation is useless.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Samuringa posted:

You're rebirthing at 6min, tops, during Troll Challenges, Quicker Activation is useless.

I think you can do the early troll challenges much earlier in game progression if you're doing a 15- or 30-minute reset. You can make good progression on average if you're only eating 1-2 big trolls.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Seeing the chat about rebirth speeds, I知 at boss 102 on Normal. How frequently should I be rebirthing? I知 tending to do it after my lvl 10 fruits have matured. Should I be doing it more frequently?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oodles posted:

Seeing the chat about rebirth speeds, I知 at boss 102 on Normal. How frequently should I be rebirthing? I知 tending to do it after my lvl 10 fruits have matured. Should I be doing it more frequently?

I'm about where you are boss-wise - I'm working on the seed bonus perk, and don't have any of the 'first harvest' perk. I think if you've gotten deep into first harvest perk, resets after you get you first harvest are fine.

I think 24-hour rebirths aren't THAT much less exp than 10-hour rebirths, since boss kills are less of your exp than Titan autokills. And I also need lots of hours of Advanced Training to let me idle Mega Lands which is my next item progression I'm working on.

So with low-to-moderate playtime, I spend the first day farming Rings of Apathy and boosting my advanced training for 12 hours, then spend a couple days on mega lands farming. I think 2-3 cycles of that will max it out and I can start looking at Uug.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oodles posted:

Normally people aim for a 24 hour rebirth, but if you don't have level 24 fruit going for your fruit timer is likely optimal. You can do speed runs for extra XP and with 10h fruit you are probably still in a position that it's viable if you want to. Normally for speed runs you aim for a break point such as 15m 30m or 60m.

The key is being able to get your NUMBER back up so you don't miss anything on your "long" run. Right now you have 2 10 hour runs and 4 hours of dead time. You probably want to cram as many 15 minute long rebirths into that time as possible without shifting your harvest time to something you can't do. (so you may end up with 10h-15m-15m-10h-15m-15m-15m-15m-11h or something similar). As you near 13 and 14 hour fruit you will actually end up with more dead time to play with. As you hit 24 hours though you are going to want to start entering a more ridged 24h only rebirth style.

The EXP from speed runs will help, but in no way actually required to progress. You will progress just fine without it if short runs aren't your thing. If you want to try going really fast 3 minute rebirths can be hectic and fun to play around if that is your kind of thing. They will tank your NUMBER fast though so have a plan on doing a small set of 30 or 1h runs afterwards to recover if you plan on going down that road. You will need a massive amount of bars if you want to do 3m runs. (I did them for a bit, 5/10m runs have a good balance for me, but most people prefer 15/30)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oodles posted:

Seeing the chat about rebirth speeds, I’m at boss 102 on Normal. How frequently should I be rebirthing? I’m tending to do it after my lvl 10 fruits have matured. Should I be doing it more frequently?

Only if you still havent gotten basic training down to minimum cost

if you're past boss 100, you should start working on getting beards unlocked, and start doing 24 hrs runs to power up the NGU/ITOPOD farm/Beard farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
1.002 coming out tomorrow.