Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

eBay is a gigantic pain in the rear end and everyone has their reasons for making GBS threads on it, but I've always been very satisfied with the results of auctioning Apple hardware. For locals on classifieds if you've got a really good item, like it has a fresh battery or has AppleCare remaining or is in pristine condition, convincing people to pay 'above market' is basically an upsell and I dunno how much sales everyone does in their day to day but I'm not good at it. Everyone's always looking for a deal, not a considered purchase. On eBay all you have to do is write an honest high-quality listing and people will convince themselves to pay above market ... in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks! I spread it out over Swappa, LetGo, and eBay at varying price points, because I can already tell I'm bad at this. OfferUp requires the app and I'm too stubborn for that. Hopefully someone takes notice that it's in immaculate condition with a recently replaced battery, because that's the only thing setting it apart from a sea of used MacBooks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Adorama is doing $200 off 16” MBP default configs with code APINSIDER and still not charging sales tax on sales outside NY/NJ.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/14/price-wars-heat-up-on-new-16-inch-macbook-pros-heres-where-to-save-the-most-money

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

Are there any good routes to selling older hardware besides Swappa? I bit on the Best Buy deal and am looking to unload my 2015 13" base model MBP. Apple is offering $380 in gift card form, but I'd rather not. On the other hand, that's really not that bad an offer for 4-year-old computer hardware that originally cost around $900 w/ a student discount.

SA-Mart

eames
May 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Adorama is doing $200 off 16” MBP default configs with code APINSIDER and still not charging sales tax on sales outside NY/NJ.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/14/price-wars-heat-up-on-new-16-inch-macbook-pros-heres-where-to-save-the-most-money

Interesting how many sales there are on this newly launched MBP. Amazon is also doing a ~10% discount on the preorder of all 16“ models in some european countries.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone ever bought from expercom?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s really ironic that they made the modern MBP so difficult to repair (especially the keyboard) and then proceeded to put a super lovely prone to fail keyboard in it only to eat the steep repair costs themselves. The bean counters and the ghost of Steve must have been going wild.

A benevolent mind would put scissor keyboards as replacements into failed butterfly units or else those machines will be destined for doom sooner or later repair program or not.

The touchbar also fails a ton & requires a complete topcase replacement. But a keyboard that wasn't just a few keys always required a topcase so it's really just the failure rate that's killing them I think.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone know what the perf boost of going from a 2015 15" rMBP to the new 16" would be? I have the 2.5ghz quad core. Also, is it worth the extra money to go up to the 2.4ghz machine from the base 2.3? Got that app I was whining about upthread running outside of Docker so I figure I can do the easy thing and buy another Apple laptop and that should hold me for another 3-4 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

prom candy posted:

Anyone know what the perf boost of going from a 2015 15" rMBP to the new 16" would be? I have the 2.5ghz quad core. Also, is it worth the extra money to go up to the 2.4ghz machine from the base 2.3? Got that app I was whining about upthread running outside of Docker so I figure I can do the easy thing and buy another Apple laptop and that should hold me for another 3-4 years.

So that’s going from 4 to 6 cores then? Probably a fair amount of improvement, but that’s honestly on a case-by-case basis. The upgrade models also go up to 8 cores.

Fortunately there’s tons of benchmarks out there comparing all the different skus. I’d probably look for benchmarks from 2018’s machines and then extrapolate from there, since people are claiming ~10-25% improvements from those with the new thermal management/battery/etc stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Eagerly awaiting the six-core/32GB LPDDR4/2TB SSD/Wifi 6 14" MacBook Pro. Maybe they'll even include a dGPU?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'd be going for the top end one, so either the 2.3ghz 8 core or the 2.4ghz 8 core. Not sure if the 2.4ghz is worth an extra $240 CAD though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Eagerly awaiting the six-core/32GB LPDDR4/2TB SSD/Wifi 6 14" MacBook Pro. Maybe they'll even include a dGPU?

Lol keep dreaming!

I want the same thing :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There'd be a chance of that if it were something that was in the top 5 list of demands regarding the 13-inch Pro series.

I mean do they really think that putting a dGPU in the 13-inch would eat into sales of 15-inch rMBPs? People are going to go for a certain size no matter what, IMHO. Maybe they think it's too expensive to support the extra cooling a dGPU requires?

You could point to the Surface Book 2 which has a 13.5 inch display AND has a GTX 1050 embedded; if Microsoft's fabricator managed to solve this, why the hell couldn't Apple?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I imagine that Apple would push you toward an eGPU as a better solution if you want 13” portability and power. I personally would also love a dGPU 13” but I also accept that apple’s tendency has always been to 1)under-deliver graphically 2) remove a gpu before they’d add one

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah but what about a 14" dgpu mbp.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Of course, if we are getting ARM processors, Apple will very likely be including their own proprietary GPU technology as well.

If/when they do, it will be very interesting to see how it benchmarks against other industry GPUs, especially when the chip will be presumably scaled up for the desktop market.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zen 2 APU with a Vega 12 on 7nm.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
What we are actually likely to get: a 4-core 14" with Ice Lake and no dGPU.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15092/the-dell-xps-13-7390-2in1-review-the-ice-lake-cometh

Short version: Intel finally delivers an iGPU worth a drat, and the cpu cores are kinda kickass despite relatively low clocks

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BobHoward posted:

What we are actually likely to get: a 4-core 14" with Ice Lake and no dGPU.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15092/the-dell-xps-13-7390-2in1-review-the-ice-lake-cometh

Short version: Intel finally delivers an iGPU worth a drat, and the cpu cores are kinda kickass despite relatively low clocks

Yeah it will be interesting to see if they stick with a 15w CPU with the bigger chassis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m confused by something. Why do we all keep using “Retina” and “rMBP” monikers? Aren’t retina screens basically standard equipment across the industry at this point, let alone the Mac range?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The design hasn't changed much since the rMBP so the name stuck, I think. Apple hasn't called it that since 2016 added the touchbar and butterfly keyboard, but IMHO it wasn't such a big change to the design, and there wasn't a new name attached to it, so people who had been typing 'rMBP' for 4 years just continued to do so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Plus there was enough time after the introduction of the retina MBPs where 1) Apple was still selling at least one non-retina MBP 2) enough posters were using and discussing non-retina MBPs to make the distinction important.

And we still get people posting about dailying 2009-2011 MBPs or people who aren’t at all Mac-savvy coming in to ask troubleshooting questions about their parent/partner/family member’s unspecified Mac Laptop.

Just a lot of places to reinforce the habit.

It’s funny though- because now that I think of it, we internalized ‘rMBP’ and to a lesser extent ‘rMB’, but when the retina MacBook Air came out we never got into the habit of calling it the rMBA. Maybe because the Air went so long without a real update- we were just like “the new Air” when it finally dropped.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok, cool. I was wondering if there was some way still to accidentally buy a non-retina MBP I guess.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
You can still buy a non-retina 13" air in the base config at least in my enterprise portal.

Also lol no, Dell will still sell you a Latitude 5590 with this config. Anyone who purchases this computer should be arrested.

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-8350U
4GB 1x4GBDDR4 2400MHz Non-ECC
2.5" 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
15.6" HD 1366 x 768 Anti-Glare Non-Touch , Camera & Microphone, WLAN Capable

Weedle
May 31, 2006

charity rereg posted:

You can still buy a non-retina 13" air in the base config at least in my enterprise portal.

Also lol no, Dell will still sell you a Latitude 5590 with this config. Anyone who purchases this computer should be arrested.

8th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-8350U
4GB 1x4GBDDR4 2400MHz Non-ECC
2.5" 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
15.6" HD 1366 x 768 Anti-Glare Non-Touch , Camera & Microphone, WLAN Capable

How much do they charge for that Latitude?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Ok, cool. I was wondering if there was some way still to accidentally buy a non-retina MBP I guess.

Not from Apple, but eBay and all other used marketplaces yes. I know a few years ago, there was one seller who called everything "Pre-Retina", so it'd turn up in the results for Retina MacBook Pros. I digress.

Basically anything from Late 2012 to Mid 2015 would be a Retina MacBook Pro. Anything newer is one of the Thunderbolt 3 models (that comes with a Retina display), and anything older would not have the Retina display.

EDIT: Good point with the MacBook Air! You have get one 2018 or later to get a Retina display with that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My 2011 27” iMac (first iMac!) is finally feeling it’s age. Not so much in performance but when you hit the os cutoff it’s all downhill from there. I’m encountering games that no longer work, etc so it’s time for a new Mac. Unfortunately this time around I can’t go for a top dollar 27” again. Right now two interests are the $1,099 Mini vs $1,299 21.5” iMac. The iMac will obviously include a screen upgrade, though the smaller screen may be strange at first. With the mini I could use the iMac as a monitor but I have to wonder how much nicer the new iMac screen would look once I got over the smaller size. I can’t really tell which of these has the better specs for our needs. Storage wise the iMac wins easily. 256gb is stupid in 2019 but it’s doable. I’ve never had SSD so I won’t technically miss not having it. I want to do music production (nothing insane on the software end outside of drum software and some basic plugins), photo editing, some light video editing in the future, and the gf wants to play The Sims 4 and have it not look and run like garbage. Any advice?

e: drat I just realized that the 2019 21.5s aren’t easily ram upgraded. That certainly pushes me towards the mini.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Used market IMO. You could probably find a 2017 5K iMac for around 1300 USD, seems like they frequently sell for that much on eBay. You could also build a Hackintosh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pivo posted:

Used market IMO. You could probably find a 2017 5K iMac for around 1300 USD, seems like they frequently sell for that much on eBay. You could also build a Hackintosh.

I hear you but when I say new I really do want that. I’d rather go new even though I’m sure I could get a good deal. Appreciate the advice though, I suppose refurbs are a thing I should look into too. Hackintosh is a no go either.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Weedle posted:

How much do they charge for that Latitude?

Latitude 5590 Laptop

List Price
$1,605.71

Total Savings
$486.71

Shipping
Free

Dell Price
$1,119.00

(This is not my org pricing, just public pricing)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hear you but when I say new I really do want that. I’d rather go new even though I’m sure I could get a good deal. Appreciate the advice though, I suppose refurbs are a thing I should look into too. Hackintosh is a no go either.

Or EDU pricing, yeah.

If you go with the Mini, you will have almost no GPU power. Sims 4 will run at about 30 fps at 1080p on Ultra (although Ultra from 2014 is not saying much) in Windows --- likely much lower in macOS. You should be able to hit 50-60fps+ at 1080p/Ultra with the Radeon 555X. The Radeon will also have far more compute available for video work or any other GPU tasks you want.

The iMac has an 8th gen quad-core i3 though. That's a pretty weak part. The 6-core i5 in the Mini is a much better part. Neither are hyperthreaded, so neither are actually 'good' for a desktop in 2019.

Look, quite simply, both of these products suck. The price is too high for the compromises you have to accept. If you are tight on money I am not sure why you are rushing to burn it.

edit: Uff, 8GB of RAM will hurt, too. Upgrading it on the 21" iMac is a PITA. And getting a Fusion drive for 1300 USD ... Gah.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 17, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

My 2011 27” iMac (first iMac!) is finally feeling it’s age. Not so much in performance but when you hit the os cutoff it’s all downhill from there. I’m encountering games that no longer work, etc so it’s time for a new Mac. Unfortunately this time around I can’t go for a top dollar 27” again. Right now two interests are the $1,099 Mini vs $1,299 21.5” iMac. The iMac will obviously include a screen upgrade, though the smaller screen may be strange at first. With the mini I could use the iMac as a monitor but I have to wonder how much nicer the new iMac screen would look once I got over the smaller size. I can’t really tell which of these has the better specs for our needs. Storage wise the iMac wins easily. 256gb is stupid in 2019 but it’s doable. I’ve never had SSD so I won’t technically miss not having it. I want to do music production (nothing insane on the software end outside of drum software and some basic plugins), photo editing, some light video editing in the future, and the gf wants to play The Sims 4 and have it not look and run like garbage. Any advice?

e: drat I just realized that the 2019 21.5s aren’t easily ram upgraded. That certainly pushes me towards the mini.

Costco has the mid-range 21.5" for $300 off, so $1149 gets you an i5, 560x GPU plus 2 year warranty from Costco (4 if you use their Citi card).

But even that it's still a 1tb Fusion drive which just plain sucks against a regular SSD.

eames
May 9, 2009

The whole desktop lineup would already be better off with Ryzen. You could fit a 16C/32T CPU (or custom APU) in the current Mac mini case without modifications to the formfactor.
I guess that would cannibalize into the iMac Pro/Mac Pro big time.

Speaking of which, the Mac Pro launching around the same time as the new Threadripper lineup.
What a lost opportunity there, though Apple is probably getting those Cascade Lake X CPUs for free at this point.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone posted these comparison images to Reddit which I thought were kind of neat. The 16" is basically like the old (2102-2015) 15" but a hair smaller in each direction.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just wait a bit longer and save. At this point the iMac is very likely due for a refresh. I know every year since like 2015 has been the year that we definitely get a refreshed iMac but the more time goes on the likelier that becomes.

If you expect it to last you as long as the current one then you’ll probably want more storage (at least 512gb SSD) and a ram upgrade pathway for the future.

And once you start adding SSD storage, the price gap between a quad core 21.5” (512gb, 16gb, iGPU) and a hex core 27” (512gb, 8gb- upgradable up to 128gb for half of what Apple charges, dGPU) becomes negligible enough that you’re better off spending the extra money imo if you plan on doing anything remotely taxing. At least that’s what I’ve been figuring out while helping my parents replace their ‘09.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The imac design feels ancient and they need thinner bezels. They are still a much better value than the Mac Mini.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Someone posted these comparison images to Reddit which I thought were kind of neat. The 16" is basically like the old (2102-2015) 15" but a hair smaller in each direction.

Isn’t the 15 actually 15.4 so really only a half inch bigger.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mu Zeta posted:

The imac design feels ancient and they need thinner bezels. They are still a much better value than the Mac Mini.

They need to be more repairable. It’s not like the backside is visible in 99.9999% of use cases and even then Apple could make a trap door look sexy.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Like everyone's saying here, best bet is to wait until you can get what you really want. Alternatively, I think you could run an eGPU and/or update to Catalina using the dosdude1 installer. It'd be an unpopular option around these parts, but it seems like any Mac would benefit from it these days. A more popular option might be to build a PC to play Sims 4 on (just remote in from your Mac). I don't know for a fact, but I imagine a Ryzen could handle the graphics load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I guess it was time to move on from late 2011 (which, sadly, still runs just fine, other than being unable to use the dosdude1 stuff).

I'm disappointed that it no longer comes with the extension cord for the power brick. Being able to scale down the retina screen to fit a bunch of poo poo on the screen is great, though.