Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this basically sounds like Life is Strange 3 in all but name. Assuming it’s not Xbox exclusive I might wind up checking it out.

Speaking of DontNod, do we have a release date for Twin Mirror yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, DontNod has announced a new game:

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1195080240307089423

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXqGQC9J2o

"Tell Me Why is described as an intimate thriller featuring twins Tyler and Alyson, who use their special bond to unravel mysteries of their loving but troubled childhood. The game is set in beautiful small-town Alaska, featuring true-to-life characters, mature themes, and gripping choices."

Speaking of new games, there still hasn’t been any further word in regards to Deck Nine’s new project yet has there?

This actually looks really cool, I like it a whole lot better than the Twin Mirror concept. I think you could do a lot in a narrative adventure game with psychic twins.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Looks like pretty standard DontNod fare but it seems unrelated to this, which means they have another unannounced project in the works.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Tyler's actor: https://twitter.com/august__black/status/1195085216148152320?s=19

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mom dead, so what

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame it looks like an Xbox exclusive

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, more than anything else they’ve done this basically looks like a spiritual successor to Life is Strange. But who knows, maybe it’ll be announced for/ported to other consoles eventually.

Apart from the monthly comic (which is good and more people should read) and maybe another prequel by Deck Nine later down the line it’s kind of unclear at this point whether or not the LiS series will continue in some capacity after Season 2 wraps next month so more games in the same vein are appreciated.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Shame it looks like an Xbox exclusive

It'll almost certainly be on PC too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't upgraded my PC since 2011

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Have any of you groovy cats and kittens encountered this weird bug from Episode 3?

When you get back to camp after your first visit to the weed farm, you can sit down with Hannah and lend her a hand with peeling some potatoes. When I did so in my last playthrough, the freshly peeled potatoes started levitating out of the pan where they were dumped and back into the basket they came from.

It was like being stuck in a time-loop.

An endless cycle of potato peeling.

Gradually it dawned on me that I actually was trapped, unable to get up from the log or interact with anything or anyone else around me. I wound up restarting from the last checkpoint. Which wouldn't have been that bad if the checkpoint didn't take me back to when Sean returns to the campsite and I'd not done everything else before peeling the potatoes...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 20, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nope that’s a new one for me. Also I’ve recently found that if Finn dies in episode 3 then Merrick will be in his hospital bed instead (you can’t talk to him though). Cassidy’s letter also changes depending on what you did in the previous episode as well (and some versions are a lot less nice, especially if you lied to her about taking part in the heist).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The final episode will be called Wolves. I imagine we’ll be getting a trailer sometime within the next week or so:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1197916507696762881?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

So I guess the naming gimmick of Season 2 is just that all the episode titles are one word then? I can’t really see any other connection between them anyway (for comparison, all of the episode titles in the first game had some loose connection to time and the ones from BtS were all lines from The Tempest).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 22, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a lot of expectations. For me it'll determine if LiS 2 was a game that managed to weave all its disparate narrative elements into something beautiful at the end or was just a thing that I kind of enjoyed.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Somebody joked that Season Two is doomed to land on one of those lists of great games that were under-appreciated when they were first released because the fanbase just can't bring itself to let go of Season One.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Somebody joked that Season Two is doomed to land on one of those lists of great games that were under-appreciated when they were first released because the fanbase just can't bring itself to let go of Season One.

Well to be fair if people want more of Season 1 that’s basically what the currently running comic is for (though it could be possible for us to get a BtS sequel one day).

I’ve been enjoying LiS 2 but it is kind of hard to get attached to any side characters when they keep swapping out the cast every episode. Hopefully we’ll get some return appearances in the finale (even if it’s just a big “where are they now” segment at the end).

I’m hoping now that Daniel’s back we get a chance to actually sit down and talk to Karen a bit more in Episode 5, allowing Sean to either try to mend their relationship or push her away entirely as the player sees fit.

Also why exactly did Chris warrant his own side game? He wasn’t really that important aside from giving Daniel a new friend and the stuff with his mom is barely mentioned in Episode 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s the usual recap that will play at the start of Episode 5 (parts of it will obviously be different in the actual game depending on your choices):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VXII3fhYPV0

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
A thought just popped into my head...how do the police find out so quickly if Sean calls Lyla while the wolf bros are hiding out in Beaver Creek? Are they tapping her phone?

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

A thought just popped into my head...how do the police find out so quickly if Sean calls Lyla while the wolf bros are hiding out in Beaver Creek? Are they tapping her phone?

Most likely yeah (I believe in both her texts and the two phone calls she mentions the police hounding her about the incident) as it wouldn’t really make sense for her to just suddenly turn us in like that.

While I wish they’d done more with her character I do like that they still let her have something of a presence in every episode (though in 3 it was just some optional text you could read on Sean’s laptop during the flashback at the beginning and in 4 it was a phone call during a dream sequence).

I still assume there’s going to be a big montage at the end of episode 5 showing everyone we met on our journey and what they’re doing now though so I imagine we’ll see see Lyla again in some capacity before it’s all over.

It’s been brought up before but I also hope the final ending is determined by your actions and decisions up to that point as opposed to it just coming down to a single choice at the end like was the case in the last two games.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eurogamer recently released a video showing off some gameplay footage of Episode 5:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xeq47XPF4h0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of which we may be seeing a familiar face pop up in in the finale

Note that the drawing that Max and Chloe did in their childhood is on the right laying against the trailer

Well, it’s not a character I particularly expected (or wanted) to come back but still kind of neat nonetheless.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 25, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Complete Season Trailer featuring a little bit of Episode 5 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i3hNIWaw9k

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well I'm glad that very soon I can finally play past Episode 1, and see if LiS2 actually ended up pretty cool or not

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just fair warning, the final episode apparently got leaked onto XBox early and there are already some screencaps floating around.

While you are given a big final choice at the end like the previous games there are actually 4 endings, which set you get depends on how you raised Daniel throughout the game. Also a character from the first game makes a return here

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 29, 2019

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
One more day until the incredible journey comes to an end.

Sooooo...what time would you say the final episode should be available to download in the UK?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s the release timings for the finale:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1201547173193801729?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Also with one day left until release they pretty much have to give us the trailer later today (then again, the trailer for Farewell in BtS didn’t get released until literally the same day the episode came out).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 2, 2019

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Replaying episode 4 and even on my "good forgiving Sean" playthrough I can't bring myself not to throw Karen's bullshit rationalizations back in her face. If there are ending slides in the finale, I hope hers says "Karen remained devoted to emancipation from the strictures of family life. She died alone, missed briefly only by her numerous cats."

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
There are folks who've complained about the number of racist white people Sean falls foul of during his journey.

Look at it this way: Remember when the brothers were making their way through the woods all the way back in Episode One? How one of the things Daniel can say is that their search for an ideal place to make camp for the night is an epic adventure like The Lord of The Rings? How he even compares the two of them to Frodo and Sam?

At its heart, The Lord of The Rings is the story of two hobbits who are forced to leave behind everything they've ever known and brave the dreaded Mordor, homeland of the orcs who hate members of every other race outside of their own. Now try scratching out the words Mordor and Orcs and then write Trump's America and racist assholes in their place...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 3, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Eshettar posted:

There are folks who've complained about the number of racist white people Sean falls foul of during his journey.

Those were all white players that don't experience racism

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, so I guess we’re just not getting a trailer for this one then (either that or it’ll be released the same time the game is). That’s odd, was this the case for Episode 5 of the first game as well?

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Macaluso posted:

Those were all white players that don't experience racism

You know what blows my mind?

The prologue of the entire game depicts two innocent children being forced to watch their father get shot by a trigger-happy cop because his skin's not white. Just as Season One gave us a bitter taste of the crap women are forced to endure at the hands of men, Season Two is so clearly meant to demonstrate what it's like for non-white people living in America. Yet I can't shake the memory of one player scoffing "Ugh, it's way too early for something like that to happen!" when Sean walked into a gas-station out in the middle of nowhere and was accused of shoplifting, beaten up and had racial slurs spewed at him by the owner.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I wish they encountered more racist people. The most impactful expression of racism in this game was the scene in the Christmas tree farm where the guy clearly does not trust or want the boys there and tries to vaguely hide this. In a game chock full of actual literal hate crimes it really stuck out as a great example of micro aggressions that are difficult to express in media. Episode 2 really was the height of the game still for me for a lot of that stuff.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Are we talking about the guy who goes all Judge Dredd on Cassidy and Finn?

I agree that he managed to stand out as a distinctly rotten character despite his brief appearance. Though I doubt he'd pull anything like what Hank Stamper did, I've always had the feeling that it was him who recognized Sean and Daniel as the two fugitive brothers and tipped off the police to their location.

If you encourage Daniel to dump snow on his miserable head, he does make a point of giving the boys what struck me as a very nasty look before stomping away...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you don’t dump snow on him and talk to him afterwards (choosing the options that won’t piss him off of course) he’ll give you a flyer for some kind of organization that I don’t believe ever comes up again.

On another note, playing through Captain Spirit again I noticed that the game has references to every episode of LiS 2 (except maybe 5 but we’ll see):

Episode 1: There’s a newspaper on the counter at the beginning talking about a shooting in Seattle.

Episode 2: The game chronologically takes place during said episode

Episode 3: There’s an article you can find that talks about train hopping teens

Episode 4. Someone from Jacob’s former church calls near the beginning.

On another note, the final episode has now been released.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The fact that he is not unlawfully imprisoning you or calling you a racial slur is what makes him memorable and impactful to me. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, it is more difficult to write and portray microaggressions that folks need to deal with day in and day out than it is to portray a trumped up hate crime and the game is better when it is doing the former rather than the later.

Small scale character stuff is what made season 1 shine, and while that was a twee high school drama and this game is definitely not that the game is still at its best in those same situations.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Aaaaand I'm downloading the fifth and final episode riiiiight nooooow.

Soon it shall begin.

No.

This is where it shall end.

.........drat, what does it say that the odyssey of Sean and Daniel has sunk its hooks far deeper into my soul than the last three seasons of Game Of Thrones ever could?

Anyway, we've walked a long road to get here. Happy trails and I'll see ya'll at Journey's End.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This update feels like it's taking forever to download

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Um... Daniel is currently on a ledge and there's no prompt to help him down. He's not coming down on his own either. I can't move past this spot without his power. Uhh??

edit: Had to reload the checkpoint. Kind of annoying

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 3, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Clearly you should have looked in his room to find out his favorite bible verse

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Played a bit of it, I liked that in Episode 3 there was this whole community of people you could interact with and I'm glad they brought that aspect back for this one.

Also we finally see a familiar face pop up at one point, David Madsen. You can even see Max and Chloe's drawing that was formerly out in the latter's yard next to his trailer. Also if you're playing the Sacrifice the Bay route there will be a photo of the aforementioned duo inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uh, is the David scene different depending what you did in LiS1? In my game he mentions that his wife died, and all that was left was him and his step daughter. And that they eventually made peace. How does this play out if you don't choose Chloe? Does he still end up there at all? Does he mention that he had a wife and they're divorced and he had a stepdaughter who died?

edit: Did the game really just take us to the same spot from the beginning of the episode, but at night time? Guess they didn't want to model another area like that?. You think I wouldn't notice just because it was dark, Dontnot :colbert:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 3, 2019