Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

The only reason most people don’t like James is that he is a douchebag.

This is my reasoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it’s amazing how much of the viewing audience sees him as this “humble” guy, and are utterly convinced that he threw his original loss against Emma because he didn’t want to break Ken Jennings’ record or whatever because they don’t understand optimal betting. Guess that’s the power of a good edit (and most of the people watching being olds) for you.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 16, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It's this!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah this. Like I said before, good on him for having the luxury of spending a year preparing for this I guess? It just doesn't make for an entertaining game or a contestant you want to root for. I will continue to hold up Ken as the example of how you can be that good at the game and not come off as absolutely unrelatable and robotic.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, it’s amazing how much of the viewing audience sees him as this “humble” guy,

This, too. Especially given his background, it's hard to root for a guy who just wants another feather in his cap, as opposed to, say, a teacher where a single win could change their financial situation completely. I can respect the game he plays and still think he's a complete rear end in a top hat who I'm glad is gone again next week so we can get back to players who make me laugh, who visibly love playing the game. Bonus when you can see the shell shocked winners hearing Johnny read off their winnings.

He's not breaking any rules and good for him for winning a lot of money. I just don't get how anyone enjoys watching him or thinks he's an even remotely likable person. The closest he came was when his daughter made that get well card for Alex....but that's a little kid being adorable, not him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Most viewers probably didn't read about him saying dumb bullshit about how he can't imagine ever working a 9-5 as if people CHOOSE to do that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is annoying and lol at "I like it because it annoys people" but far worse is dorks avoiding sports categories like the plague.

You misread. Let me parse out my post for you.

I like it the way it is -and- I like that it puts a bunch of people in a tizzy because they think Jeopardy is being played dishonorably or some poo poo.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 16, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Emma's two day total broke the previous record for ToC finals yet still was not enough to win.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Nah. I like it how it is and appreciate how much it annoys people that players don't play Jeopardy "right".
It's not that it annoys me, so much as I don't get a lot of joy out of people switching between categories. It's not like the wagering that has drama to it and can be fun to play along with. And as a strategy it just kind of boxes people out. Runaways aren't actually fun to watch. Like James would have done well regardless, but potentially with more competition.

The bigger issue is that Jeopardy needs to spend more and cover people's travel costs so the second place two grand doesn't feel like a necessity. Consume Celluar needs to start paying up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not that it annoys me, so much as I don't get a lot of joy out of people switching between categories. It's not like the wagering that has drama to it and can be fun to play along with. And as a strategy it just kind of boxes people out. Runaways aren't actually fun to watch. Like James would have done well regardless, but potentially with more competition.

The bigger issue is that Jeopardy needs to spend more and cover people's travel costs so the second place two grand doesn't feel like a necessity. Consume Celluar needs to start paying up.

A. I would have loved to have my (wife’s) expenses covered, but honestly, they don’t need to. Sucks for the contestants, but for pretty much all of them they’re applying for the life long dream, not for the money.

I would have loved for my wife to have a ton of money, but it was totally worth it for the experience and bragging rights, whether you win or not, being on jeopardy is pretty drat hard to do.

So what I’m saying is I don’t think the low payouts for 2nd and 3rd lower the quality of the people applying

Evidence of this: around 70-80,000 people took the jeopardy online test in 2018.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Zesty posted:

Nah. I like it how it is and appreciate how much it annoys people that players don't play Jeopardy "right".

I too like when contestants either a) jump around trying to find the doubles, or b) start with the big money and work across.

I like both because I've come to detest the writers and their 'joke' clues. I especially love it when a jumper ruins some writer's special 'running joke' in a category.

But then I'm evil that way. ;-)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

A. I would have loved to have my (wife’s) expenses covered, but honestly, they don’t need to. Sucks for the contestants, but for pretty much all of them they’re applying for the life long dream, not for the money.

I would have loved for my wife to have a ton of money, but it was totally worth it for the experience and bragging rights, whether you win or not, being on jeopardy is pretty drat hard to do.

So what I’m saying is I don’t think the low payouts for 2nd and 3rd lower the quality of the people applying

Evidence of this: around 70-80,000 people took the jeopardy online test in 2018.
I'm arguing more that it sometimes feels like people become protective of their second place spot--since the the extra grand of winning second place versus does matter a lot in terms of covering travel costs--and often aren't as ambitious in their wagering.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm arguing more that it sometimes feels like people become protective of their second place spot--since the the extra grand of winning second place versus does matter a lot in terms of covering travel costs--and often aren't as ambitious in their wagering.

I'd almost argue more people play to not come last over the small difference in money between 2nd and 3rd. The story of being on Jeopardy and winning is great, coming in 2nd is honorable, being last place is a punchline.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can only speak for myself but exactly zero percent of my waging considerations were about whether or not I would end up in second or third place by making them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, my wife didn’t care at all about 2nd vs 3rd. And honestly, while I’d like the money, either did I (I do more of the finances for the house so I would be more likely to care).

There are three goals:
-don’t have a bad game (IE end up negative)
-try to win
-have fun

It’s an extremely intense day, this was a dream/life goal for her to be on jeopardy, etc, so one of the first things we decided was “just make the best of it, go in, go for it and just give it a shot. No pressure.” And I think that helped her perform better quite frankly.

vincentpricesboner posted:

I'd almost argue more people play to not come last over the small difference in money between 2nd and 3rd. The story of being on Jeopardy and winning is great, coming in 2nd is honorable, being last place is a punchline.

This statement obviously makes me upset, but I’m going to be polite and say you don’t know what you are talking about.

-to go back to what I said earlier, even getting on jeopardy is super hard, so if someone has a bad game, bummer, but it happens, it’s still impressive they got there.

-for fucks sake, even if we take this dumb statement at value, it depends on the game. In our example, my wife placed 3rd. However, Champ got 21 questions right, she got 19, contestant 3 got 8. 2 things happened: the champ was a super good opponent (ended up winning 4 games I think, 2 were runaways), and the final jeopardy question was 1940s history, a very not good subject for my wife. So contestant 3 passed her in final jeopardy (the champ knew it and got it right).

Based off your dumb statement , that’s a punchline. I can tell you that it’s almost never the case.

I can’t stress enough: pretty much everyone does not go on tv trivia shows every day (Spokes might be the exception). It’s like going into another dimension, it’s a bit mind jarring. So you don’t know how you’re gonna do in the ring, until you step into the ring.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

I can only speak for myself but exactly zero percent of my waging considerations were about whether or not I would end up in second or third place by making them.

Yeah, this. I tried to make the best bet I could with the amount of money I had going into Final. If I couldn’t outright catch the champ, I could at least play spoiler. Just didn’t work out that way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only embarrassing showing is if you don't make it to Final Jeopardy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Has any player ever confirmed laying off so someone can get out of the red to get into Final Jeopardy?

I feel like I would want to do that but be too stressed to actually do that.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Groovelord Neato posted:

Most viewers probably didn't read about him saying dumb bullshit about how he can't imagine ever working a 9-5 as if people CHOOSE to do that.

I actually liked James style of play and big wagers and didn't mind his personality on the show until I read this, wtf that's some dumb poo poo james

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zenguitarman posted:

I actually liked James style of play and big wagers and didn't mind his personality on the show until I read this, wtf that's some dumb poo poo james

It's even better because if I remember correctly the lead up was him talking about taking lengthy vacation trips whenever.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I know we all love Ken but people had a lot of the same complaints about him fifteen years ago. Runaways are no fun (he had like 30 locked games in a row). He's unlikeable! Smarmy! And so on.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, my wife didn’t care at all about 2nd vs 3rd. And honestly, while I’d like the money, either did I (I do more of the finances for the house so I would be more likely to care).

This statement obviously makes me upset, but I’m going to be polite and say you don’t know what you are talking about.

Sorry, I in no way to trying to diminish the achievement of your wife or anyone else in this thread. Poor choice of words in my metaphor.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

vincentpricesboner posted:

Yeah, this is justly wholly incorrect. as long as you don't channel wolf blitzer, just getting on the show is an accomplishment and if you don't win then it doesn't matter where you placed. nobody is getting jeered for "last place" in a 3-player game where only first matters. I think people play suboptimally re: DD betting and such because, you know, they're trivia fans and jeopardy! fans and they didn't devote their life to grinding out every edge in a silly game show you only get to play once. None of it has to do with wanting to finish second instead of third. Sure, it's worth taking a minute to figure out betting for second in a runaway scenario because there's a thousand bucks on the line, but there's really no other difference between the two also-ran places

Duckman2008 posted:

I can't stress enough: pretty much everyone does not go on tv trivia shows every day (Spokes might be the exception).
123 days until i'm eligible again!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/GaryMLevin/status/1196480040822804481?s=19

Well it looks like we won't have to wait long for Ken/Brad/James after all!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Oh, poo poo yeah. Surely Brad can't win *again*.... right?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Emptyquoting my prediction for this:

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: Hot take :siren:: Brad wins, Ken comes in third, everybody continues to forget that Brad exists and talks about how James finally beat Ken.

Bonus hot take: Alex announces his retirement at the end of the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

James just don't smile dude.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Cockblocktopus posted:

love it. Brad really does have the sweetest gig. He just plays four or five games every few years and they give him a million dollars

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Winner takes over as host.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'm old enough to remember the last time they were on network tv

it was another mega tournament of champions with four contestants playing at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQX68S6XZoc

e: oh my god james invoked scott steiner math (thread)

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1196484094542131200

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1196491859859628032?s=19

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm with you on this being Alex's last hurrah. My guess is that he's not doing too hot and requested this as his way of going out. The timing is too early to be anything else. :smith:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vertical Lime posted:

i'm old enough to remember the last time they were on network tv

it was another mega tournament of champions with four contestants playing at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQX68S6XZoc

e: oh my god james invoked scott steiner math (thread)

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1196484094542131200

How can anyone not love James after that thread.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryMLevin/status/1196480040822804481?s=19

Well it looks like we won't have to wait long for Ken/Brad/James after all!

imagine how funny it would have been if James whiffing on that last daily double had hosed up all their plans for this

e: I mean they could obviously still do it based purely on regular season earnings, but it would look real weird to go into this coming off of a loss

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cockblocktopus posted:

I was already thinking this event is happening because Alex probably pushed for it as a bucket list item. I think you’re spot on.

:drat:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Well, this was definitely something incredible to wake up to. Can’t wait to see James taken down a peg if Brad continues playing the way he normally does. Never beaten by a human opponent and all that. Now if only there was a Watson rematch.

:boom:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

quote:

But the GOAT tournament will be anything but typical: It consists of a series of two back-to-back games, airing weeknights (8 EST/PST) beginning Jan. 7. The player with the most combined winnings from the two games wins the “match,” and the play continues on successive nights (except Monday) until one of them has won three matches and takes home a $1 million prize. (The other finishers get $250,000 apiece). That means the tournament can last anywhere from three to seven days.

I hope it goes the full seven but it would also be kind of funny if somebody swept and it was super obvious from the beginning based on the schedule.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Poque posted:

I hope it goes the full seven but it would also be kind of funny if somebody swept and it was super obvious from the beginning based on the schedule.

Yeah I'm not sure how they're going to avoid spoiling results with the TV listings, even if it's not a sweep.

edit: I really like this format though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 18, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

wa27 posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how they're going to avoid spoiling results with the TV listings, even if it's not a sweep.

edit: I really like this format though.

Four days vs Watson and Alex to round out Super Jeopardy II.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

GhostStalker posted:

Now if only there was a Watson rematch.

It's been almost a decade. Deep learning in its modern sense essentially didn't exist when Watson first played. I'd put pretty good odds on a modern Watson answering 60 questions in a row and entering Final unopposed.

But humans are more fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
TOM HANKS???