Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what that means, unless it's literal.

It's literal and Robert has a weird obsession with machetes. I think the schtick is that he gets so angry and whatever he's reporting on that he gets it out by hacking something up.

He's incredibly goony, but he's a great reporter. The latest episode is all about various uprisings around the world and is reported very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a half hour into the Kim episode, he hasn't thrown any knives yet...

I've never listened to a podcast with anyone besides BR Myers who could pronounce "Juche" correctly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a half hour into the Kim episode, he hasn't thrown any knives yet...

I've never listened to a podcast with anyone besides BR Myers who could pronounce "Juche" correctly

Oh there are like a hundred common words that he can't pronounce and it's one of the very few podcats where that annoys me. If your entire career is reporting about extremism and you can't pronounce "extremist", man.

The throwing stuff shtick comes later and yeah it's pretty boring doing long, long bits of visual humor on a podcast. There's not as much of it lately.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I like Behind the Bastards, but sometimes the "throwin bagels" poo poo gets old.
He's a great reporter and when he doesn't devote 10 minutes of the episode to "I'm going to throw these bagels and hit them with a knife" it's much better.

He also has a really good rotation of guests, my personal favorite is probably Billy Wayne Davis.

yeah. he and cody arnt that funny and his jokes get old really fast but i think he and his guests bring interesting insights to various things and his episodes for the most part are good.

on the civil war episdoes, its interesting and i think he is right in someways and wrong in others.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

COOL CORN posted:

It's literal and Robert has a weird obsession with machetes. I think the schtick is that he gets so angry and whatever he's reporting on that he gets it out by hacking something up.
Okay, I finally got to it and yeah, it adds nothing to the cast.

Speaking of which, BtB has the same problem as most "Informed Straight Man + Comedian" formats, which is that the comedian isn't very funny and doesn't contribute much. Very few are as good as Gareth Reynolds.

I finished the Kim Jong Un two-parter and it was pretty good, though there were a handful of things that stuck out to me as ill-informed. Comparing Juche to Hitler's desire for autarky in the 30s is way off-base. And small-scale, local market activity was normal in North Korea; it didn't begin with the famine.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, BtB has the same problem as most "Informed Straight Man + Comedian" formats, which is that the comedian isn't very funny and doesn't contribute much. Very few are as good as Gareth Reynolds.

Now I need Gareth to guest on btb

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The best duo is Dan and Jordan on the Knowledge fight podcast.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Firstscion posted:

The best duo is Dan and Jordan on the Knowledge fight podcast.

I'm hesitant to recommend a podcast that is essentially 7-9 hours a week of Alex Jones and space weirdos, but this is 100% correct.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I kind of want to pick Knowledge Fight up, but I don't know if I can stomach voluntarily listening to that much of Alex Jones a week.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I kind of want to pick Knowledge Fight up, but I don't know if I can stomach voluntarily listening to that much of Alex Jones a week.

Do it! and the wednesday episode is usually some sort of space weirdo instead.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The wacky Wednesday episodes are easy to pick out because the titles are something silly, while infowars based eps are just named after whatever date range they're covering.

That said, whichever "normal" episode it was that turns into a deep dive on frequent Infowars contributor Leo Zagami was the hardest I've laughed at something in a long time

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 1, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope he does like 12 hours on the battle of midway

Unless that is the last hour of the current episode

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are there any good podcasts about WW1, other than Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon?

I want something similar to The First World War on Youtube, but... audio.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tried listening to the audiobook of Dan Carlin's book and the voice is too much. He sounds normal when he's just improvising based on an outline, but here he ratchets up the voice to 11 and every sentence sounds like Don LaFontaine doing the 'In a World..." line.

I think I'll just read it instead.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Personally I find Dan Carlin's podcasts completely unlistenable due to his weird diction.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Megazver posted:

Tried listening to the audiobook of Dan Carlin's book and the voice is too much. He sounds normal when he's just improvising based on an outline, but here he ratchets up the voice to 11 and every sentence sounds like Don LaFontaine doing the 'In a World..." line.

he should hire comedians to do impressions of him for the next book

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Grevling posted:

Personally I find Dan Carlin's podcasts completely unlistenable due to his weird diction.

I personally can deal with it but yeah he has a very unusual presentation style.

You’d probably be able to take Hardcore Prophesy; his style works well in that context.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grevling posted:

Strange . He’s a pro and the podcast production is like S tier

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Grevling posted:

Half the fun of podcasts is how weird everyone talks. Their diction, their verbal tics, their go to metaphors, it all gets really obvious and really funny when you can listen to the same person for seven hours at a stretch. Dan Carlin is just more prominent because his episodes are all seven hours long, so you don't even have to binge it for the effect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The guy from Up and Vanished has. The most annoying way. Of breaking up all his sentences.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has anyone listened to the fall of civilizations podcast? It's pretty good

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yeah, it's great. The Rapa Nui one is my favourite so far.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

To me it sounds exactly like his "reading a quote (but not an ancient quote)" voice. I also gave up on the book partway through but I 100% expect the final lines to be "... end quote."

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SA is all over the 8 Chan episode of Behind the Bastards. Apparently Robert used to have an account here.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

To me it sounds exactly like his "reading a quote (but not an ancient quote)" voice. I also gave up on the book partway through but I 100% expect the final lines to be "... end quote."

Yeah, that's it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jack B Nimble posted:

"End Quote" would be a much better name for his mini series than "history blitz" or whatever its called but he's gotta pander to the wehraboos

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am sure History Dadness comes to him naturally and effortlessly.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

420 Gank Mid posted:

"End Quote" would be a much better name for his mini series than "history blitz" or whatever its called but he's gotta pander to the wehraboos

I thought he moved onto Adendums which were supposed to come out frequently and shorter, but are now basically just full length stand alone episodes

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought he moved onto Adendums which were supposed to come out frequently and shorter, but are now basically just full length stand alone episodes

Addendums were the current events/chat with Dan show iirc

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

420 Gank Mid posted:

Addendums were the current events/chat with Dan show iirc

No, that's Common Sense. Addendum is his shorter format history show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

SA is all over the 8 Chan episode of Behind the Bastards. Apparently Robert used to have an account here.

does he say good stuff or bad? havent listend yet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does he say good stuff or bad? havent listend yet.

He talks about how he was banned a decade ago for making lovely posts, but ultimately says that a pay wall and good moderation is the reason why it's still around and not associated with the alt right nowadays

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
90% sure he toxxed for Ron Paul.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

He talks about how he was banned a decade ago for making lovely posts, but ultimately says that a pay wall and good moderation is the reason why it's still around and not associated with the alt right nowadays

i mean he is right.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think I downloaded an episode of “The Worst People You Know” based on n Overcast ad and it was loving horrible: the worst bunch of mealy-mouthed :decorum: I’ve heard since the very very early Obama Administration (pre-TeaParty).

And I still literally listen to NPR.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's a weird podcast crossover: Dan Carlin is the guest on the most recent Mysterious Universe.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I really want to like Astonishing Legends, but they get so drat far into meaningless conspiracy/hocus pocus nonsense that their shows are many times longer than they need to be. The latest episode, they manage to cram numerology into the story of the death of James Dean.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I feel the same way about Our Fake History when he does things that are clearly bullshit. Like I don't mind when they're just about mythology like the Arthurian legends, but WHO BUILT THE PYRAMIDS is some seriously History Channel level of nonsense.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Appoda posted:

I feel the same way about Our Fake History when he does things that are clearly bullshit. Like I don't mind when they're just about mythology like the Arthurian legends, but WHO BUILT THE PYRAMIDS is some seriously History Channel level of nonsense.

And it took him 3 episodes to explain it and frankly didn't really explain it that well I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

I like Behind the Bastards, but sometimes the "throwin bagels" poo poo gets old.
He's a great reporter and when he doesn't devote 10 minutes of the episode to "I'm going to throw these bagels and hit them with a knife" it's much better.

He also has a really good rotation of guests, my personal favorite is probably Billy Wayne Davis.

I've just started listening to Behind the Bastards over the last few weeks and I definitely agree, the bagel poo poo loving sucks and really just drains my interest away. The latest episodes about Jerry Falwell felt like it reached critical mass with his lead weight of a bagel obsession. Which is a shame because I really like every other aspect of the podcast.