Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1195746417782001665?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Hello friends, today we scattered my aunt's ashes on the shores of the beach of Hayling Island under a swollen sky which threatened but didn't deliver rain while HMS Prince Of Wales made its first journey into Portsmouth. It was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sorry to hear that bud. Hope you're doing OK.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Hello friends, today we scattered my aunt's ashes on the shores of the beach of Hayling Island under a swollen sky which threatened but didn't deliver rain while HMS Prince Of Wales made its first journey into Portsmouth. It was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be.

Hope it went as well as could be expected, and you and yours are doing okay.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

radvice posted:

Went door-knocking for Labour this morning, first time doing it but the other folks were great and let me shadow for a while. My area's fairly safe Labour and most people were positive/friendly, had to explain that Labour is aiming for a 2nd referendum to someone who claimed he'd heard nothing about it, which left me blinking for a few seconds but it all felt very worthwhile. This thread really motivated me to head out and actually do something for the party. Next time, probably going to use that map and find a more marginal seat to help out in.

You weren't Bristol North West were you?

if so, hi you were shadowing me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Condolences, hope you're getting by. :glomp:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Barry Foster posted:

Even for the tories this is unbelievably monstrous. Utter wickedness.

How can anyone support this? How are there people this broke-brained and hateful?

It's because some of the children are probably brown skinned.

radvice
Jul 12, 2016

namesake posted:

You weren't Bristol North West were you?

if so, hi you were shadowing me.

Nah, I'm in Leicester South.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chuka Umana posted:

Apparently I made statements in class in favor of Islamic Jihad in Gaza which I have no recollection of. Hopefully this will all blow over.

Did you say ANYTHING in support of Gaza?
That's probably enough these days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

They often are, hope you're doing okay.

One small positive, at least it wasn't the HMS Duke of York.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

It's because some of the children are probably brown skinned.
'ISIS babies' is so loving gross too. How can they be ISIS if they don't even have loving object permanence? It's not an ethnicity.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

Even for the tories this is unbelievably monstrous. Utter wickedness.

How can anyone support this? How are there people this broke-brained and hateful?

terrorist children and theyr coming from the middle east

this is pretty straight forward and, at least according to the way the daily mail and BBC views the public, popular

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.nme.com/news/music/new-letter-supporting-jeremy-corbyn-2568734

Got the Incredible Hulk and Sonic Youth on side, comrades. Unity of the popular forces about to deliver the red dawn.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

As well as being a morally monstrous policy, refusing to borrow at a time when interest rates are basically zero is just monumentally loving stupid.

Even on their own idiotic credit-card understanding of the economy, they're promising that a LibDem government would always tax us more than it has any need to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The continuing tales of an extremely normal country.
Night mode: Giant iPhone advert blocking out daylight to poverty-hit families in London apartment block
:capitalism:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

They often are, hope you're doing okay.

I am, thank you friends. And if you'll indulge me for posting my own tweets...

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1195767814860222464

just got me a 12 hour twitter time out

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Simmer down, I would if for example they had an accent I didn't recognise.

Obviously it's often a form of racism where someone is like 'where are you really from' over and over again and not taking 'Birmingham' as an answer for very obvious reasons, but surely in the first instance sometimes it can represent just a genuine desire to know know about a person's social and cultural background. This is of course going to depend on where you are too and what the demographic makeup is like - asking it of a Polynesian guy you bump into working as a fisherman in northern Russia is very different to doing the same to random shopkeepers with brown skin in London. Also yes, I would agree that in no situation is it an acceptable thing to lead with, but could in some cases be alright once you've developed a rapport with someone?

I could be very wrong here of course, so please do tell me if I am!

"Where are you from?"

No, seriously, just ask "Where are you from?" and then take an interest in their answer regardless of if it's Liverpool or Punjab. If somebody wants to talk about their ethnic background and they feel comfortable with you, they'll probably answer that way. If not, then you might get to hear about somewhere in Britain you've never been before.

I mean, take this with a grain of salt, because I'm white, but you sort of have to accept there's almost no polite way to push that question further. In my experience though, if you show genuine interest, people are pretty happy to talk about where they came from, their family background, their cool accent, whatever, and I assume this is because it's pretty obvious when the question's being asked in good faith, vs being racist.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Funerals always are in my experience. I hope it's brought some peace, though.

EDIT ah good to hear it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Hungry posted:

"Where are you from?"

No, seriously, just ask "Where are you from?" and then take an interest in their answer regardless of if it's Liverpool or Punjab. If somebody wants to talk about their ethnic background and they feel comfortable with you, they'll probably answer that way. If not, then you might get to hear about somewhere in Britain you've never been before.

I mean, take this with a grain of salt, because I'm white, but you sort of have to accept there's almost no polite way to push that question further. In my experience though, if you show genuine interest, people are pretty happy to talk about where they came from, their family background, their cool accent, whatever, and I assume this is because it's pretty obvious when the question's being asked in good faith, vs being racist.

Also it can be about how you ask, right? Like if you think somebody has an interesting accent, ask "Where's your accent from?" 'cause it could be that they consider themselves as "from" Liverpool or wherever, but they have, say, Hungarian parents and maybe they spent some time there as a kid or something.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Stay in the circle, child. I haven't yet finished the incantations :getin:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Any manc goons with gently caress all better to do, I'm at Factory tonight playing 30(!) Biffy Clyro covers. I'll be the one in the hammer and sickle shirt (and then no shirt)

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Lightningproof posted:

Got the Incredible Hulk and Sonic Youth on side, comrades. Unity of the popular forces about to deliver the red dawn.

Good list there, including David Graeber (who is actually Jewish, holy poo poo that makes a change for this kind of letter).

Will enjoy the Guardian not publishing it, or publishing then suddenly removing it like the last pro-corbyn letter.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lightningproof posted:

Huh, Steve Coogan too. For some reason I wouldn't have thought he'd be a Corbyn supporter even though he was heavily involved in leveson. Glad he is though, I can appreciate Alan Partridge even more than I already do!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Lightningproof posted:

Jason Hickel and Brian Eno, good stuff

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Condolences mate :smith:

just got me a 12 hour twitter time out
I just got banned for "multiple accounts", I guess someone at twitter listens to the pod and put two and two together :v:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Huh, Steve Coogan too. For some reason I wouldn't have thought he'd be a Corbyn supporter even though he was heavily involved in leveson. Glad he is though, I can appreciate Alan Partridge even more than I already do!

Not sure whether Steve Coogan is a Corbyn fan but he is a massive fan of investment in education, when he lived near Brighton he was always campaigning for more funds for the local schools.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Communist Thoughts posted:

terrorist children and theyr coming from the middle east

this is pretty straight forward and, at least according to the way the daily mail and BBC views the public, popular

How do we even know that's a baby and not a bomb?

The right have spent decades cultivating monsters as their power base. Expect them to get worse and more fashy until we break the cycle.

Leveson 2 will be a very important step. Get rid of the two minutes' hate and people will spend less of their brain on hatred.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aphex- posted:

Have we found the non-melt 00s comedian?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Have we found the non-melt 00s comedian?

Isn't coogan more 90's than 00's

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Coogan is famously (I thought) a Corbynista.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BTW, somebody mentioned b3ta earlier; whatever happened to that site?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Not sure whether Steve Coogan is a Corbyn fan but he is a massive fan of investment in education, when he lived near Brighton he was always campaigning for more funds for the local schools.

The letter says 'I think Corbyn is an unfairly-smeared antiracist'. It's about the man himself, not Labour.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
One of the signatories of the Guardian letter was Tom Holland, are talking about Spider-Man Tom Holland?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chuka Umana posted:

One of the signatories of the Guardian letter was Tom Holland, are talking about Spider-Man Tom Holland?

No, Historian Tom Holland.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

I just got banned for "multiple accounts", I guess someone at twitter listens to the pod and put two and two together :v:

That seems odd, given that they literally let you have multiple accounts in the app and on Tweetdeck.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

So not the fantasy author?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Samovar posted:

it's still there. (the front page allows you a spacious 600 pixels horizontally now, phwoar.) I think it just gradually slowed over the years, people appear to still be posting. the newsletter came back a few years ago, even. Rob is still around, messing about on twitter. The programmer went on to co-found Slack, apparently. Tom Scott does youtube videos now. "mrandmrswheatley" are acclaimed filmmakers. soon my web hosting will run out and nobody will see that one time i got a front page in 2003 anymore. time moves on forever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More of a Tom Finland fan myself.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That seems odd, given that they literally let you have multiple accounts in the app and on Tweetdeck.
My previous account being banned for calling tories cunts might have something to do with it :v:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Samovar posted:

it's still trucking as a newsemailletter as I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just had a sharp reminder to self that many people are clueless about what I assume is 'common knowledge'. So easy to assume most people know the same things I do.
A labour person on my FB posted a list of Jo Swinson's voting record. Some other labour campaigners have commented variations on 'that's really useful, I didn't know any of that, good to know for when we're canvassing'.
I'm thinking 'how can you not know that?'
I have to admit I feel ashamed sometimes reading the thread or listening to the podcast when people use terms and don't explain them, and then when I look them up I find out it's like a module's worth of politics degree stuff. It's hard to pinpoint specific examples, but it's made so much worse when one or two of the more seasoned postets have a go at centrists who wander in here for not understanding how the nec or parliamentary voting works and i'm sat here thinking "i didn't know how the nec works"

Like to back to your point, I bet most people voting won't know about They Work For You, or the best way to google Jo Swinson without getting a page full of Lib Dem funded results.

I mean the podcast is usually pretty good - especially Naptime - at pausing to briefly explain what something is when it's a big or complicated concept, but I guess when you're constantly thinking your way round this kind of stuff you kind of forget that there are people who are still learning who might need stuff explained.

Reveilled posted:

The Sun did publish a piece claiming it was spiderman though.