Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The untitled goose in that artwork should really be running away with Harry’s gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If you inspect the novelty check from Evrart it mentions that he wrote on it telling Garte to waive all your bills. Does that work if you give it to him?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So, reviews for this are pretty solid- if I enjoyed the new Torment and Tyranny, should I just go ahead and buy this or wait for patches?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fruits of the sea posted:

So, reviews for this are pretty solid- if I enjoyed the new Torment and Tyranny, should I just go ahead and buy this or wait for patches?

you should just go ahead it buy it

if the reviews you're reading are only "pretty solid" then you're reading the wrong reviews

e: oh hey it's hit overwhelmingly positive on steam, aces high everyone

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 16, 2019

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
They've patched most of the showstopper bugs so I would say buy it and experience it now before you start passively picking up spoilers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

why are you sitting here asking us when you could be a hobocop *right now*

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, now I know what to do over the holidays.

Still don’t know anything about this game since I try not to read spoilers too much, but being a hobo seems like a pretty good justification for the random thievery and pestering of townspeople I tend to do in most rpgs, so that’s cool.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jeza posted:

The Witcher 3 dealt a terrible blow to my enjoyment of standard RPG fare, at least.

I guess I've always been hypercritical of open world games' filmsiness so I could just enjoy W3 for what it is - a believable open world game, and a very good RPG.

Thanks, now I know what to do over the holidays.

Still don’t know anything about this game since I try not to read spoilers too much, but being a hobo seems like a pretty good justification for the random thievery and pestering of townspeople I tend to do in most rpgs, so that’s cool.

For what it's worth, as someone who also enjoyed Numenera and Tyranny, I think it's a safe bet for you to jump right in if you're worried about spoilers.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 16, 2019

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The only warning I would give is to check what specific thoughts do in the Thought Cabinet because a lot of them are still bugged.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Min-maxing your thoughts? How moralist

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I'd just go for what sounds interesting. This game is best done not planning much out and then finding your character's "voice" through exploration of the environment. Maybe I got lucky, but even with all the weird interactions I didn't miss out on any skill checks I wanted by the end.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Jeza posted:

The Witcher 3 dealt a terrible blow to my enjoyment of standard RPG fare, at least.

I feel terrible selling Kim's spinners. Is there a reasonable way to avoid it, and if not, can I buy them back later?

in addition to what everyone else has said, you can significantly lower the amount of money you owe by passing an authority check after you tell Garte he's under arrest. which is still one of the funniest lines in the game imo

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
oh and my advice for someone just getting into it is to not to try and be too cool in the beginning. your character will be a wreck no matter what and like one of the loading tips says, you can get away with saying weird stuff because you're a cop. your partner also won't like you less for being weird because he's expecting it. you only get negative points with him for being truly corrupt, drugged out or violent. basically any time you intentionally hurt yourself or other people

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I beat the game, I solved the thing, I discovered a Large Reed Friend, I learned of the true fate of the world and its ultimate fate; the origins of its doom and what true caliber makes a man.

Dude this game has me hosed up like yo, but it's in the best way and I love it and I want more, I hope there's a continuation of some sort within the setting at least this poo poo fuckin' slaps my hams right off the dolly!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Devs said they're planning on making an expansion.

Also a sequel but that probably won't be for a long while.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 16, 2019

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think i want to do a 1 in every stat run

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

let me tell you (and others who are thinking about this) something about this loving game

Wait, no, that's not right. Not going to do goonposting for this. No, for real. I am going to be legit as possible here. When the game got released, I was in a bad spot. You see, I am putting my life back on track, so to speak - me and the ex agreed to end our relationship in the beginning of the year and while it was amicable, a lot of consequential effects kinda cascaded in my detriment. Essentially, got broke settling issues, had to be back at my mother's place for a while (and the consequential blow to self-dignity after being practically married), because of that couldn't care for the pets that we had adopted together, and all of this in a background of ongoing treatment for dysthymia, or persistent depression: no dark pits in the soul, but a baseline humor of dull gray has its cost in any human being.

Things got a little better, managed to rent a room with a friend of mine, got some work through internship, then poo poo went sideways and was jobless again. Felt like poo poo. However, I paid my bills and had some spending money, so I got the game because I didn't spend anything in entertainment in what felt like forever.

It was a goddamned experience. Seriously. I didn't play it through again because I feel like I am processing some poo poo still. The devs of the game, ZA/UM, had a great line about the player character: "You get the chance to reapply to the job of a cop and of a human being". This poo poo right there. In many ways, I felt like this year was a cavalcade of disasters and I had some shut downs. In May, or June, I don't remember (memory hazes, of course, are a characteristic note of intensified depression), it was the first time in my life that I felt that perspective failed me: usually we tend to know that shitstorms end eventually, and we soldier on, but that moment almost did me in for I could not literally see any future from that point.

I revisited that stuff and much more playing the game. The PC is a broken man, and tragically and comically broken, of course, but extrapolation can be a form to create relatability in art: going for the banal to keep it real can be quite tricky, for we are all familiar with mundane tragedy to be resonated by art, a lot of times. So, in many unexpected ways, the PC offer new angles to explore some aspects of ourselves to think, laugh or cry about.

This infernal machine does not cease, a part of the brain will comment eventually in the game. Being in a bad moment, I immediately understood that feeling, "why go on?". This is when the game really shines. Your morale, your sense of self, your volition steps up and say: "Time to rise up, you got this. You are here. You can do something good."

How many games have moments like these? Not about some epic action sequence, but to get up from your bed amidst the complete shitstorm that the character's life has become? And even more importantly, to go forth and put some good in the world?

I cried a lot playing this game. I laughed and cried when my Rhetoric talked me about going back to do some communism, and was blasted by one of the greatest takes about the subject ever written in any media. I posted it here twice, I think. It is about failure. I felt confronted at first as I laughed about it, then thought about it, then cried a bunch. I cried because it is about failing, about struggling, about striving, because otherwise how would a better society be built? Nobody knows that! Do we keep from trying?

This is the great question that the game presents to you. The great thing? You can answer it. You can play the part and be a total shithead because, well, you can. You can not be one too. And well, it seems a better idea.

Which helped me realize that, maybe there is no such thing as "putting life back on track", maybe, the most important thing, the most fundamental thing, is to answer yourself as you rise from the bed: you can do this, go out there and do some good. There will be failure. There will be tears. There will be pain and suffering and sorrow, but there is always the moment to ask oneself to try again.

I finished the game, and honestly? I felt better. My situation at the moment was not materially improved, of course, but the true power of art lies in shifting your perspective, and thus, your way to deal with the world.

I am employed again, a good entry-level job with a lot of highly-skilled people helping me along. I have some debt still, but my basic needs are met and I could even buy some nicer clothes this month. I still dearly miss my pets, the home I have helped built and the company of someone I loved for a very long time, but I know that this is part of life, and is proper of a good heart to feel those things. Things have been darker. Today, though, I can do some good.

That's what Disco Elysium is all about, baby

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this is a good post

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Its Coke posted:

in addition to what everyone else has said, you can significantly lower the amount of money you owe by passing an authority check after you tell Garte he's under arrest. which is still one of the funniest lines in the game imo
The lowest you can possibly get your due payment (and there's a number of checks that can help) is 60. Unless you beeline directly for the money-making thoughts and thoroughly scour the entire starting area for cash, you will still need help with the payment.

As an aside, you can't open the container in the harbor on day 1. The check is literally impossible.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Xander77 posted:

The lowest you can possibly get your due payment (and there's a number of checks that can help) is 60. Unless you beeline directly for the money-making thoughts and thoroughly scour the entire starting area for cash, you will still need help with the payment.

As an aside, you can't open the container in the harbor on day 1. The check is literally impossible.

I was able to get the payment to 30 by threatening to arrest him and saying I won't pay for the window. that's still a tough amount of money to raise but it should be possible if you get hobocop and collect tare + pick up all the spare change you can

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

My cop had 3 in every stat and ended up passing basically every skill check thanks to preplanned point investment and clothing swaps

I regret nothing

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

it's completely in character to change into your tracksuit before attempting certain feats of athleticism

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Xander77 posted:

this literally isn't true, I did it without savescumming day 1

Rhetoric was my signature and I had 6 INT and my chance was still only 17%, but it definitely is not Inevitable Failure

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Finished the game.

It loving owns bones yo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fellatio del Toro posted:

it's completely in character to change into your tracksuit before attempting certain feats of athleticism

When Titus is talking about rumours they'd heard about you before you showed up, one of them is that you had "odd taste in clothing."

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Cicadalek posted:

If you inspect the novelty check from Evrart it mentions that he wrote on it telling Garte to waive all your bills. Does that work if you give it to him?

When I tried giving the check to Garte it didn't let me do it and Kim told me to go to the store to cash it in. I wonder if it's gated behind some dice roll.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Okay yeah that ending is spectacular. I don't finish games often but this one I needed to see how it concluded and it was loving goddamn perfect. Rolled up what I thought was gonna be a talky friendly cop, got skilled as sorry and normal and communist, got that technically clean as gently caress ending.

Now to roll up a proper worthless fuckup and ruin this thing.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Somfin posted:

Okay yeah that ending is spectacular. I don't finish games often but this one I needed to see how it concluded and it was loving goddamn perfect. Rolled up what I thought was gonna be a talky friendly cop, got skilled as sorry and normal and communist, got that technically clean as gently caress ending.

Now to roll up a proper worthless fuckup and ruin this thing.

I was initially kinda "that's it?" but two hours of continuing to think about it later I'm like "yeah, that was the perfect conclusion to the arc my Harry was, in fact anything else would have been a detriment"

edit: honestly I just want more of it I think. I could read these guys' writing for weeks

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Caufman posted:

Annette must have me confused with someone else - my poo poo is always ON

But is it apart ?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

You know, I read poo poo like this (and I mean it affectionately - great to hear things are looking up for you!), and I think back to that one interview with Kurvitz where he talked about the devs' vision and goals for both this game in particular and whatever else they may end up creating in general (and I probably posted it here ages ago, pre-release, but here it is again, now that the game is out and clicking with people):

Robert Kurvitz posted:

I want there to be fictional universes that talk about our own real life experiences. About the political problems we’re facing, the geopolitical structures around us, the problems of the modern world, etc. Universes which don’t leave us feeling numb, alone, and abandoned after we have finished exploring them. Universes which actually equip us with life tools and provide context for what’s happening to us. Which give us the strength to carry on with our lives, instead of making us feel empty to the point where we say, “Oh my god, I want to go back to the land of the Elves, but I can’t; I’ve already seen it all”.

The best aim behind this revolution in how worlds are built is that of changing how people interpret escapism. I want them to feel good when they return, better equipped, ready to accomplish things, with new tricks to use as they go about their business. <...> Fantasy worlds provide tools with which to face the world, but the wrong tools will render us incapable of doing that. I want us to build worlds which make us capable. Which help us deal with the world better.”

I remember being impressed by the ambition, but also thinking how much of a monumental task it would be to pull off; now, seeing write-ups (and I've seen a fair few in a similar vein) like the one from dead gay comedy forums, I'm even more impressed, because what people are taking from the game is exactly what was intended.

Death of an author and all that, but, really, how often do we see creators not only have a very strong vision of what they want to convey and what kind of experience they want to create, but also enough of an ability to communicate that so precisely that the players' impressions end up basically echoing their pre-release goals? That's definitely some kind of an achievement in and of itself.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Since I beat the game, I decided I should maybe go back and finish Planescape Torment (I got near the end of it 10 years ago then my hard drive crashed).

1) Disco Elysium makes any game's writing look dull, even Planescape's. I haven't read a book in decades (ADD so I have trouble concentrating for the long haul)... is DE's writing better than most books too?

2) I'm sure this isn't the scope of the thread but is there any way to make Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition play more like DE? In particular I have to click a *lot* in PT, especially micromanaging in battles. It would be nice if there were some basic keys like "tell all your party members to just attack the nearest enemies" so I could focus more on the story.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Death of an author and all that, but, really, how often do we see creators not only have a very strong vision of what they want to convey and what kind of experience they want to create, but also enough of an ability to communicate that so precisely that the players' impressions end up basically echoing their pre-release goals? That's definitely some kind of an achievement in and of itself.

Right? There's not much media I've consumed that has actually left me feeling markedly more intelligent after finishing it like this game. I feel like a superstar detective IRL and my stats monologue to me now. The fact that Robert Kurvitz actually *meant* to do that must make him like, the smartest guy in the world or something.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 17, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

I could've sworn I got it open on day 1 on my second playthrough...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just play on Easy. They're also ingame cheats that I think the remaster still has. Also once you get Annah she can stealth by all the enemies and seeing is that you don't need to have your whole party present to scene transition you can use her to avoid a bunch of endgame fights

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Accordion Man posted:

Just play on Easy. They're also ingame cheats that I think the remaster still has. Also once you get Annah she can stealth by all the enemies and seeing is that you don't need to have your whole party present to scene transition you can use her to avoid a bunch of endgame fights

In between my post and yours I did find https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/892-cirerreks-ai-scripts-tseries/ which seems to be some AI scripts for Planescape, I'm trying to see if I can actually get them to work though...

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I mean, I guess DE is better written than most books in that books have a half a millennium head-start on games, so there's way more of them, so most of them are crap. There are also a ton of books that aren't written with any consideration given to the quality of their writing, technical book and textbooks and the like.

But broadly speaking, hmm, I dunno. It's a little bit like asking if an amazing screenplay is better written than most novels, they're pretty distinct skills and what qualifies as good for one form is very different from the qualities people value in a different medium. DE was only conceived of as a video game, and it uses the form and the assumptions of game-writing brilliantly.

I will say that DE has a quality that reminds me of (modernist?) literature. The quote perhaps a hamster pulled shows it's trying to do a fairly standard trick that's nonetheless incredibly hard to pull off - it wants to defamiliarize it's audience so they can see their reality differently. They talk about politics but I also feel there's a psychology / phenomonology bent in DE too, the way the protagonist's shattered mind works has given me real insight into the way my own (slightly) more healthy mind works.

Looking back on the novels I've read this year I think some of them have pulled off that trick, have left me feeling like I see something in the world with more clarity and a new perspective - and I don't think I've read a single work of literary fiction, they were all genre works. Still, I've read way more that didn't do that. That's what (some people argue) literature is supposed to do, but it's loving hard and even really good authors don't always pull it off, but the two media are hard to compare directly. I guess since that's been an explicit goal in novel writing for a while now there are plenty of books that would hit that spot - definitely more novels than video games that do - but DE is shockingly consistent in achieving that effect.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Is it likely this game will have content changes in a patch? Off the top of my head I'm thinking about stuff like not being able to progress if you haven't paid your tab on day 2 by 2am and adding auto-run

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Accordion Man posted:

instead of this, I recommend just using the console to give the Nameless One 18 in every stat and increasing the party limit so you can have everyone with you at once. I was able to beat the game like this no problem

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Its Coke posted:

instead of this, I recommend just using the console to give the Nameless One 18 in every stat and increasing the party limit so you can have everyone with you at once. I was able to beat the game like this no problem

This thing actually does solve most of my problems: https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/892-cirerreks-ai-scripts-tseries/

I installed it to the Planescape directory and now when I have the in-game "Party AI" enabled, the party actually does smart things like engaging the enemy, backing off if near-dead, using healing consumables, and casting spells, including your own character. They don't do any of that with the built-in AI. It feels less cheaty than just maxing all my stats.

The only other thing in Planescape that's super annoying is if a party member dies they drop all their poo poo at their feet including their equipped weapon? If you run out of uses of Raise Dead then you have to run back to town, rest, raise them, then go and hunt down what they dropped. For the most part though the AI makes it feel more like a modern RPG like FFXV where your party members fight properly and you go focus on conducting and storyline.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Where do I find the bullet traces at the boardwalk? I've been up and down and can't find anything to interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

eric ciaramella posted:

Where do I find the bullet traces at the boardwalk? I've been up and down and can't find anything to interact with.

Move on to other tasks, you'll resolve that as you follow the main quest.