Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pylons posted:

At some point they changed it so that your friend gets the weaker one and your actual rival gets the stronger one.

Ah, I kinda thought that was what they did. I guess I haven't gotten far enough to meet the real rival yet.

THE loving MOON posted:

Id be interested to see what percentage picked 420. I saw you get three digits to work with and I mean come on, is there even a real decision to be made there :2bong:

So you're a leaf-type trainer? :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Andrast posted:

Are you looking for a specific sweet?

There's one sweet just lying around in hammerlocke
I want the heart one in particular, so that I can evolve it into an alcremie who matches the color scheme of the cutest idol and trans zombie who's ever (un)lived

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Where's false swipe at?

You can buy the TM for it in the Pokecenter right next to the stadium the opening ceremony was at.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You can buy the TM for it in the Pokecenter right next to the stadium the opening ceremony was at.

Thanks!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

iospace posted:

Where's false swipe at?

pokemart inside the pokemon center by budew inn

oh turns out there was another page

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Saagonsa posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere

don't

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does the Leek boost Sir'Fetch'd too, or only Farfetch'd?

e: also, apparently all my favorite pokemon are in Shield, I picked the wrong version :negative:

I have a spare Farfetch'd if anyone wants to trade it for a Solosis or Larvitar :downs:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Bee posted:

Rock the control stick to match the ball's wiggling, then hit B when it changes color.

You're the only other person I've ever heard that does this

Ms Adequate posted:

Are the people finding Swoosh unusually easy (Even by Pkmn standards) running a single team they don't change around much? I'm curious because I'm switching most mons around all the time aside from my starter and Gyaradeez and this is honestly the 'toughest' Poke game I've played in ages.

Aside from fighting Hop though, lmao how is he so bad at this

Yeah the EXP is unfortunately too generous as predicted but if you just catch dudes who you want to use and cycle them around constantly to keep level parity the game gets real good. Hopefully they patch in an EXP toggle though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Trust me that's the long term plan

Also, more relevant: I'm extremely surprised at how well balanced the game has been so far around the exp sharing. I could definately see how someone could over level, but you'd have to put effort into it, and at that point why are you doing it if you dont want to be over leveled?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pyrotoad posted:

I ran into that same onyx with my own sobble, god bless the RNG for making it use Screech twice instead of attacking.

RE Curry, is there a timing element to it like poffin baking or are you just mashing and spinning buttons and sticks as fast as possible? And when you put your heart in do you get a better curry by waiting for the circle to nearly close?

I also had to join the 420 club, no regrets.

If you go absolutely apeshit fanning the flames your curry burns, and if you spin too fast it starts spilling. It's easy to spill it on your own but I've only managed to burn it when I was cooking with another player.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

X_ThePerfect posted:

May be confirmation bias, but having flash fire Pokemon in the lead might increase your chance of finding fire centipede on route 3.

I had got my new best friend vulpix and ended up immediately replacing it with a newer best friend this way, and ended up with two more sizzlipedes by the time I hit the mine.

This game is so good though, I haven’t even got to the first gym but have put hours in just strolling around the wild area and fighting raids.

Edit - flash fire, not flame body. I didn’t have my game open.

Can confirm. Ran into Sizzlipedes like no tomorrow with a Flash Fire lead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Araxxor posted:

Can confirm. Ran into Sizzlipedes like no tomorrow with a Flash Fire lead.

The one sizzlipede I ran into I too had a vulpix with flash fire running the lead (before I replaced it with said absolutely monstrous little flaming worm)

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

YggiDee posted:

If you go absolutely apeshit fanning the flames your curry burns, and if you spin too fast it starts spilling. It's easy to spill it on your own but I've only managed to burn it when I was cooking with another player.

The very first time I cooked curry with a random player, they immediately burned the curry and spilled it everywhere during stirring, but we somehow still got Milcery rank curry. I have a hunch that the only thing that matters is the final "put your heart into it" minigame, since I've only had bad curry the one time I missed the cue.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
That'd be a positive change, making it inline with Static and Magnet Pull's overworld effect.

Wonder if other abilities got that type-attracting perk.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

You're the only other person I've ever heard that does this

Yeah the EXP is unfortunately too generous as predicted but if you just catch dudes who you want to use and cycle them around constantly to keep level parity the game gets real good. Hopefully they patch in an EXP toggle though.

That is likely the very reason why they made exp share permanently on and made it much easier to pull Pokémon out of boxes when needed; to force gamers out of their comfort zone and manage a larger team than they otherwise would have. Because of that I highly doubt the toggle will come back.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

mikemil828 posted:

That is likely the very reason why they made exp share permanently on and made it much easier to pull Pokémon out of boxes when needed; to force gamers out of their comfort zone and manage a larger team than they otherwise would have. Because of that I highly doubt the toggle will come back.

Gamefreak does a lot of baffling things, but "force a single way of playing on people" is not something I think they'd do.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So far the only things I really don't like are the weird loud honk in the wild pokemon battle music and the lack of GTS. And maybe that none of my current team can learn false swipe, but that's more of a "me" problem.

seriously tho why is GTS gone

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon is easy pretty much no matter what so being over leveled doesn't significantly change the experience. If you want challenges it's better to do things like Nuzlockes.

Yeah this is what i do, approach every game with a gimmick. I ran a ghost-type team in Moon, and now in Sword I'm running a Steel team. It's actually pretty fun and thematic. Working within these constraints gives me a few big weaknesses I need to plan around, and a limited set of tools that I can use to deal with them; for example, one of Steel's big weaknesses is to Fire, so I run a Coalossal with Steam Furnace to deal with that specifically. And Coalossal's biggest weakness is to water (Scald! :argh:), so there's a natural spot for Ferrothorn to cover him. For my ghost-type team in Moon, one of Ghost's most common weaknesses is Dark, so Mimikyu became a real MVP alongside Mismagius as a setup-sweeper and Trevenant as a leech/drain focused build. Running monotype is thematic, too, what with most gym leaders and many trainer types focusing on a specific type or theme, and you often wind up having some trouble with the one or two gyms that focus on your chosen weakness.

Has anyone discovered the secret to cooking good curry? How are you supposed to fan the flames, is it just button mashing?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It has been nice to be able to swap stuff out on the fly, and it’s encouraged me to use tons of different Pokemon, rather then settling in with just six or so. I’ve been keeping an ever growing rotation of at least 12 at any time, which has helped keep it from feeling too easy. Hell, I even got wiped by a gym leader yesterday, which I don’t think has happened to me since Ruby.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In the span of 10 minutes, I now have like 10 Farfetch'd, looking to trade them for any Shield version exclusives.

If you send me a Solosis or Larvitar I'll throw in a Leek for the Farfetch'd

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I can’t believe people haven’t played enough that they start to saturate the surprise trade with dreepies and starters with perfect ivs and natures

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah this is what i do, approach every game with a gimmick. I ran a ghost-type team in Moon, and now in Sword I'm running a Steel team. It's actually pretty fun and thematic. Working within these constraints gives me a few big weaknesses I need to plan around, and a limited set of tools that I can use to deal with them; for example, one of Steel's big weaknesses is to Fire, so I run a Coalossal with Steam Furnace to deal with that specifically. And Coalossal's biggest weakness is to water (Scald! :argh:), so there's a natural spot for Ferrothorn to cover him. For my ghost-type team in Moon, one of Ghost's most common weaknesses is Dark, so Mimikyu became a real MVP alongside Mismagius as a setup-sweeper and Trevenant as a leech/drain focused build. Running monotype is thematic, too, what with most gym leaders and many trainer types focusing on a specific type or theme, and you often wind up having some trouble with the one or two gyms that focus on your chosen weakness.

Has anyone discovered the secret to cooking good curry? How are you supposed to fan the flames, is it just button mashing?

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but no member of the Coalossal family is Steel.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Calaveron posted:

I can’t believe people haven’t played enough that they start to saturate the surprise trade with dreepies and starters with perfect ivs and natures

I did get a level 1 Dreepy though it, actually.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this as painfully easy as the older games. Is self imposed difficulty still the only way to get a challenge

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

my new dog posted:

Is this as painfully easy as the older games. Is self imposed difficulty still the only way to get a challenge

yes, it is the easiest one yet.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Gamefreak does a lot of baffling things, but "force a single way of playing on people" is not something I think they'd do.

It's not really that baffling, it's a subtle way of adding complexity to the pokemon formula without being explicit about it. It's probably the wrong approach though given the fanbase.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

is anyone around to help trade evolve my pumpkaboo? related: how do you trade with a specific person, i assume id

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I bought a uniform at one of the gyms. How do I change my gym challenger uniform? Whenever I go into a changeroom it just changes me into that uniform, I want to show up to the gym fight in this outfit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You don't. Those are just for wearing like any other clothes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Amppelix posted:

You don't. Those are just for wearing like any other clothes.

What a ripoff!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagined posted:

This is my six year old son (Victor)'s first Pokemon game. He nicknamed his starter Pokemon Victor Jr. :3:

And Victor's the "canon" (English) name of the male protagonist - congratulations!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

god drat hop, you suck. Someone get Hau a plane ticket, that boy at least knew to pull out poo poo like A-Raichu early on!

my new dog posted:

yeah, you do have to manage the difficulty yourself, but luckily, having PC boxes open anywhere means it's easy to constantly rotate out mons and not get overleveled

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

found this gem while scrolling through league cards on twitter

https://twitter.com/NincompoopEXE/status/1195415203376066560

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How do you join raids from the stamp system thingie? Always tells me that it can't find anything and YES I am connected to the internet.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do you join raids from the stamp system thingie? Always tells me that it can't find anything and YES I am connected to the internet.

I’m always told I can’t connect to the other console so same boat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Growing increasingly baffled by the lack of GTS

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not sure where the this is the easiest game yet thing is coming. I am playing on Set and swapping out some new pokemon once in a while. But other than at the start I have never been particularly ahead of the Level curve and things have been decently tough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I couldn't connect to any raids yesterday but I a manged to join two today, so keep trying I guess? Restart your Switch.

Also it occurs to me that the catch formula was probably changed so that players couldn't meander into the Wild Area and Quick Ball their way into something thirty levels higher than everyone else.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

does anyone know if you can change the bike outfit, like, at all

even if it's limited to the gym uniforms or whatever, I'll take it, it's better than being dressed like a clown :gonk:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not sure where the this is the easiest game yet thing is coming. I am playing on Set and swapping out some new pokemon once in a while. But other than at the start I have never been particularly ahead of the Level curve and things have been decently tough.
yeah, I swapped to set first thing and the game is better for it.

Ms Adequate posted:

Growing increasingly baffled by the lack of GTS
I guess they were tired of people filling out their pokedexes by breeding a couple dozen mareanie and leaving them overnight, and felt "only being able to trade directly with people" was more true to the original intent of trading or whatever

I'm assuming this is because they live in japan, where the population density and popularity means even local connection probably gets you a dozen hits easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only time I was able to join a raid was when a friend was hosting them, and even then on the two we did we were the only ones there.

People are either backing out too quickly or there's something wonky going on.