Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Except that it turned out that none of the Nier characters were the actual characters from Nier. The Nier 3 equivalent would be cameos from a number 2 and a number 9 unit that we hadn’t met before.

can confirm this is at least half true (unless you played Soul Calibur I guess??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

can confirm this is at least half true (unless you played Soul Calibur I guess??)

I think you may have misunderstood that post because the first half is about things which definitely were in Automata and the second half is speculating about a third Nier game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

I think you may have misunderstood that post because the first half is about things which definitely were in Automata and the second half is speculating about a third Nier game.

It's talking about the Final Fantasy raid. It's still unclear what it's about, but it has 2P from Soul Caliber, and a 9S who might or might not be "our" 9S.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When in doubt, blame Accord.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

chiasaur11 posted:

It's talking about the Final Fantasy raid. It's still unclear what it's about, but it has 2P from Soul Caliber, and a 9S who might or might not be "our" 9S.

Oh, so 2P is from Soul Calibur.
It's the name of her alt costume, isn't it? It's just "2nd Player", then, isn't it?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

i am tim! posted:

It's the name of her alt costume, isn't it? It's just "2nd Player", then, isn't it?

No it's Number Two Type Panasonic.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so if Nier is part of Final Fantasy which is part of Kingdom Hearts then 2B is a Disney Princess

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

i am tim! posted:

No it stands for "Panasonic".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so if Nier is part of Final Fantasy which is part of Kingdom Hearts then 2B is a Disney Princess

That means Zero from Drakengard 3 is also a Disney Princess.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Disney Princess Kaine.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
So there's one thing I never figured out after playing this game.

Why does the machine intelligence (as represented by the red girl) hate 9S so much, anyway? Like, there's defeating all the YoRHa androids, which is all well and good and I can see why the machines would want to do that. But the poo poo that happens to 9S--- the taunting messages on treasure chests, the fight against a bunch of 2B replicas, things like that--- seem personal. Do they really hate 9S that much? I get that machines can hate, since certainly Eve does, but I don't really know why the central intelligence would.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

he poses the biggest threat to them probably

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

The mental image is killing me, thanks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nrook posted:

So there's one thing I never figured out after playing this game.

Why does the machine intelligence (as represented by the red girl) hate 9S so much, anyway? Like, there's defeating all the YoRHa androids, which is all well and good and I can see why the machines would want to do that. But the poo poo that happens to 9S--- the taunting messages on treasure chests, the fight against a bunch of 2B replicas, things like that--- seem personal. Do they really hate 9S that much? I get that machines can hate, since certainly Eve does, but I don't really know why the central intelligence would.

Honestly?

I'm pretty sure it likes him. Just in a very pulling on pigtails way. He's smart, and he's interesting and Adam got a look right in his head to see all that potential.

It hates A2. Nines, it wants to spend some quality time with.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Priestly posted:

The mental image is killing me, thanks.

this means by extension Two is a disney Princess and so is Dude One. (And so are One, Three, and Five)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

All I know is: going back into the area afterwards opens up an area that seems to be where 9S was holed up and it's full of 2B corpses/spare bodies/replicas , so whatever's going on it's definitely :yokotaro: driving.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

a kitten posted:

All I know is: going back into the area afterwards opens up an area that seems to be where 9S was holed up and it's full of 2B corpses/spare bodies/replicas , so whatever's going on it's definitely :yokotaro: driving.

It seems like we should be asking "where's 2B?" considering this and the numbers used for the pods.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Thanks, now I can't stop thinking about Goofy saying, "Gawrsh, front and back?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It seems like we should be asking "where's 2B?" considering this and the numbers used for the pods.

One: 2B needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I'm giving this game a try because the FFXIV raid was so good and my kitty cat looks awesome in 2B's outfit. How long does it take to get to the parts of the game that are good and that everyone raves about? I did the introduction and it didn't really grab me. The atmosphere and music were good, but the combat was underwhelming. I'm intrigued and everyone raves about the game and how it ends. I just sorta don't want to play a game right now that I have to invest a few dozen hours in before it gets good (because FFXIV already occupies that slot).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's good from the beginning

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I first knew the game was something special when I got to the amusement park. It's been a while since I've played but that can't be more than 2 hours in.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I first knew the game was something special when I got to the amusement park. It's been a while since I've played but that can't be more than 2 hours in.

Pretty sure you can get there in like an hour?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I feel like this is the best answer. The beginning is solid, but the park and the boss fight are really where the game starts to shine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Personally this cannot continue at the end of the previous area was my big hook.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the boss fight of the desert is when the game starts showing of just how weird it can get.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally this cannot continue at the end of the previous area was my big hook.

Same.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I feel like this is the best answer. The beginning is solid, but the park and the boss fight are really where the game starts to shine.

This is the best answer, because the context of it is really surreal/offputting and introduces the tone that the rest of the game is attempting to convey.

But the significantly more spoil-y answer is After the second ending, which is where the plot really picks up steam

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The game gets good at the title screen. but which?

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

The title drop 20 hours in was when I truly fell in love with the game, but I concur that the amusement park is great. The combat is never amazing but the bosses especially get much more interesting from that point on. The introduction of weapon types other than "sword" and "longer sword" doesn't hurt either.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I played thru this cold and agree with everything above.
It also does the very rare thing of having a really really cool ultimate ending.

I was sad to finish this game but when I had done, and had made my choice, and made my mark, it did feel satisfyingly finished.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
"This cannot continue" is where you decide how you feel about the game.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Not sure why but running through the desert on the way to 'This Cannot Continue' completely sold me. It's still one of my favourite audio/visual combos in the game.

Edit: all games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would also say, after you get ending A, do not stop playing even if your first impression of route B is that it’s boring. Route B is at first a retread of places and moments you saw in route A but you have not finished the game’s story, keep going

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Ainsley McTree posted:

I would also say, after you get ending A, do not stop playing even if your first impression of route B is that it’s boring. Route B is at first a retread of places and moments you saw in route A but you have not finished the game’s story, keep going

Alternatively, if you still have questions regards 2B or 9S; or if you feel like they're acting inconsistently/flat or haven't been fleshed out enough. Keep playing, any questions you can have about those two will be answered.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
I've been considering purchasing this game, but I recently broke my main laptop and my backup laptop only has Intel integrated graphics. I know that on Steam at the very minimum they recommend a dedicated gpu, but do you think I could make it work on my backup laptop? Or should I just wait until Thanksgiving and get a new laptop?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly?

I'm pretty sure it likes him. Just in a very pulling on pigtails way. He's smart, and he's interesting and Adam got a look right in his head to see all that potential.

It hates A2. Nines, it wants to spend some quality time with.

This actually makes total sense. The game is pretty clear that hacking is a two-way street, so even before Adam gets him, various machines have spent a lot of quality time with 9S. In contrast most of the other YoRHa units basically only interact with machines by trying to kill them. So the relationship with 9S is way more intimate than with most of the machines' other enemies.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cergos posted:

I've been considering purchasing this game, but I recently broke my main laptop and my backup laptop only has Intel integrated graphics. I know that on Steam at the very minimum they recommend a dedicated gpu, but do you think I could make it work on my backup laptop? Or should I just wait until Thanksgiving and get a new laptop?

Well, with the specs you've shared I think the game will run flawlessly!

Anyway, if you aren't sure if you like the game, beeline the MSQ. You can always go back and do sidequests later. (and some of them you really should!)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I used an older gaming laptop and the game did not run very well at all on my computer, even with the Far patch. I would say in your case, it probably wouldn't be a very good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
Got it. Well, I'll try it out first and if it runs poorly I'll just wait until I get a new computer.