Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Still trying to get a feel for how much I like Hitman 2, but I was very pleased to win the first mission by tossing a jar of spaghetti sauce at the assassination target, who fell over in surprise and immediately drowned :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I figured that was the reason for the set BT zones and why they yoink you.

I'm actually wondering if (Chapter 3) just forcing a voidout in that BT-riddled zone between the Junk Dealer and Chiral Artist might make travelling between them much less of a headache.

That's a very homo demens thing to say, you monster

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's something kinda nice about keeping a pair of floating carriers in your truck in Death Stranding. Cant get a big load of supplies all the way with the Truck? Park it, unpack and load the Carriers, hike the cargo the rest of the way.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Fallen Order your little robot rides on your back and hides behind you and sometimes if you're standing there it pokes its head over your shoulder and looks around.

And also https://gfycat.com/consciousbelovedkob

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

In Fallen Order your little robot rides on your back and hides behind you and sometimes if you're standing there it pokes its head over your shoulder and looks around.

And his head lights up to be your flashlight in the dark! :awesomelon:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

And his head lights up to be your flashlight in the dark! :awesomelon:

Yes but you can also use your lightsaber for light which rules.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Yes but you can also use your lightsaber for light which rules.

Got a real Sophie's Choice here in terms of ways to light your path in the dark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

And also https://gfycat.com/consciousbelovedkob

Respawn continued their streak of good AI companions on this one. BD is one of the few star wars droids in a game where you actually feel like you can C-3P0 it and understand what they're saying, it's amazing. It works entirely off of tones and body language.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Respawn continued their streak of good AI companions on this one. BD is one of the few star wars droids in a game where you actually feel like you can C-3P0 it and understand what they're saying, it's amazing. It works entirely off of tones and body language.

At one point you ask it to tell you a joke and it beeps. You reply "I don't know, why?". It beeps again. You laugh.

You also get a large choice of ponchos.

Game rules.

Edit: I just killed an AT-ST. After that the pilot scrambles out of it and starts panic firing at you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got a real Sophie's Choice here in terms of ways to light your path in the dark.

You could always go with the Anakin solution to Sophie’s choice and use both.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

You also get a large choice of ponchos.

I wear an alpaca wool poncho around my apartment because I like keeping the heat low and bundling up, and seeing a "poncho" customization option was awesome. I keep hoping I find an unlock that looks like my own poncho.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Hygiene posted:

Still trying to get a feel for how much I like Hitman 2, but I was very pleased to win the first mission by tossing a jar of spaghetti sauce at the assassination target, who fell over in surprise and immediately drowned :effort:

Maybe I've grown but Hitman 2 feels way better about letting you do extra goofy poo poo.
I'm blasting through it in a really dry matter so I can do the weird poo poo later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I've grown but Hitman 2 feels way better about letting you do extra goofy poo poo.
I'm blasting through it in a really dry matter so I can do the weird poo poo later.

I ended up putting it on hold for now after getting in a cycle of just repeatedly failing the next training missions. I still love the setup, and it's great when your crazy plan works out, but something's just not clicking for me in getting my plans to work without just suddenly collapsing into chaos when somebody looks at me wrong. I'll give it another try, but it may just end up being one that's more fun to watch somebody more talented play.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I ended up putting it on hold for now after getting in a cycle of just repeatedly failing the next training missions. I still love the setup, and it's great when your crazy plan works out, but something's just not clicking for me in getting my plans to work without just suddenly collapsing into chaos when somebody looks at me wrong. I'll give it another try, but it may just end up being one that's more fun to watch somebody more talented play.

Try to follow the mission things they give you in game. They don't hold you hand, but they really nudge you towards interesting things. Plus you earn unlocks in mission to change things up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are some quirks that do take trial and error so once you figure those out, you're golden.

My #1 suggestion is to not worry about doing a pure ghost playthrough.
Even if you get engaged in combat, you can slip away, grab a new disguise and try something else.

Also, thrown non-lethal objects are the most powerful tools. Bricks, crowbars and cans of soda are your friends.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll give it another try once I'm done Jedi-ing around. I definitely don't have a feel for what's not suspicious to run around with, I lusted after the crowbar every time but was too cautious to actually pick it up :sweatdrop:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Every item that illegal for your current disguise will have a really obvious red exclamation mark on it.

But that changes per costume, not really per location. If a security guard can have a gun, they can always have a gun in all places guards can access.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I wear an alpaca wool poncho around my apartment because I like keeping the heat low and bundling up, and seeing a "poncho" customization option was awesome. I keep hoping I find an unlock that looks like my own poncho.

Here's my handsome boy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a cute thing in the final room of Gnasty's loot in Spyro Reignited. In the original game it just had a giant picture of him at the back wall, but in the reignited version it's also got scattered fanmail strewn everywhere on the floor, a vault that you can't open that simply says "Keep Out" with a silhouette of spyro's head, and a bunch of motivational posters saying things like "Patience.... is for dragons" and "You don't need to be the best... you just need to destroy everyone else!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, IMO Gnasty was the best of the trilogy's bad guys. Even his fight was much different than the other two, and actually made you feel powerful in a way since you really only had to hit him 2 times (or was it 3? I don't remember if you also need to hit him before you chase him in the circuit).

vvv e: agreed on all counts

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Nov 16, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, IMO Gnasty was the best of the trilogy's bad guys. Even his fight was much different than the other two, and actually made you feel powerful in a way since you really only had to hit him 2 times (or was it 3? I don't remember if you also need to hit him before you chase him in the circuit).

He also had the best motivation, as the other dragons were being TOTALLY poo poo for no reason, calling him out live on the air with ad hominem attacks calling him stupid and ugly, which is just mean. At least Spyro threw him a bone during the ending by admitting he was a worthy opponent. I like to think Spyro learned from that experience not to be mean for no reason. At least the Sorceress and Ripto started it. I also like that it bigs up Gnasty from the moment you arrive on his doorstep, every dragon you save in Gnasty's world is the first one you saved in each homeworld. They tried to stop him while you were getting there, they just failed.

I also always thought that Heroes Tail made him too stupid. He's reactive, he's thoughtless, but he's not really dumb, more of a classical bully figure. Heroes Tail swung too far in a boring direction. Although I overall did enjoy it.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Nov 16, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Pokemon Sword and Shield uses British English instead of American English, because the game is set in Pokemon's version of the UK.

It was just such a weirdly sweet thing to notice that the player's mother is called 'Mum'.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Sword and Shield uses British English instead of American English, because the game is set in Pokemon's version of the UK.

It was just such a weirdly sweet thing to notice that the player's mother is called 'Mum'.

The bad guy team is also a bunch of soccer hooligans

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding: You can wing packages at bandits by letting go of them while swinging your fist.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RichBrightLarkMingLee

https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentKathishManateeTBTacoLeft

Sam's got a really strong throwing arm as it turns out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's been coming up over in the main thread, but one of the nicest little touches in Fallen Order is the sheer amount of battle dialogue for stormtroopers and other imperials, covering any number of scenarios. Bravado and taunts if you're heavily outnumbered, switching over to concern or amazement as you whittle them down, til the last one standing just shouts in a panic. Lots of good jokiness too, proclaiming that they have the high ground, or asking for just a second while they struggle to get their weapon reloaded. I think my favorite was the unexpected switch to an uncertain "...maybe we shouldn't be shooting him?" from the trooper blasting me with multiple RPG rounds as I just stood there trying to get down the timing for Force pushing the rounds out of the way.

e:

I love how when you're learning to wall run, if you gently caress up, your jedi master tells you "Faster, more intensity!". That was famously basically the only directors notes lucas would give people while directing Star Wars.
Hahaha, incredible. Sorry I missed that.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Nov 17, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's been coming up over in the main thread, but one of the nicest little touches in Fallen Order is the sheer amount of battle dialogue for stormtroopers and other imperials, covering any number of scenarios. Bravado and taunts if you're heavily outnumbered, switching over to concern or amazement as you whittle them down, til the last one standing just shouts in a panic. Lots of good jokiness too, proclaiming that they have the high ground, or asking for just a second while they struggle to get their weapon reloaded. I think my favorite was the unexpected switch to an uncertain "...maybe we shouldn't be shooting him?" from the trooper blasting me with multiple RPG rounds as I just stood there trying to get down the timing for Force pushing the rounds out of the way.

I love how when you're learning to wall run, if you gently caress up, your jedi master tells you "Faster, more intensity!". That was famously basically the only directors notes lucas would give people while directing Star Wars.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

The bad guy team is also a bunch of soccer hooligans

They are styled that way, but they're a bunch of fanboys/girls of a specific trainer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So are football hooligans. They like their team, and will fight anyone who likes a different one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Someone from the Bureau in Control had the idea of making a kids' show with puppets to introduce their way of life to the children of their agents, albeit with only a small budget and doing most of the work themselves. The end result is a spot on creepypasta video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick9sTYT9jc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Someone from the Bureau in Control had the idea of making a kids' show with puppets to introduce their way of life to the children of their agents, albeit with only a small budget and doing most of the work themselves. The end result is a spot on creepypasta video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick9sTYT9jc

I love that so much, that kinda stuff is a big part of why that game turned out to be an all time fave despite some pretty substantial flaws.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Death Stranding, I just returned to a safe house after trudging through a snowy mountain, more or less lost. Had Sam take a shower and noticed that his toes and fingers were blackened from frostbite...hopefully not permanently. Makes me feel sorry for the guy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The water in the shower drain also becomes tinted based on what kind of goop you're covered in. Blood and BT tar mix to make a murky brown even. If you spend an extremely long time out carrying stuff, the bruises on Sam's shoulders will be tinted purple. The attention to detail for what is basically a 20 second cutscene of Norman Reedus naked is just crazy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its to balance out all the time in detailing the shower scenes in the third Parasite Eve game that doesn't exist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

In Death Stranding, I just returned to a safe house after trudging through a snowy mountain, more or less lost. Had Sam take a shower and noticed that his toes and fingers were blackened from frostbite...hopefully not permanently. Makes me feel sorry for the guy

The snow physics are frankly amazing, and look even better than they did with Horizon: Zero Dawn (same engine) when you're plowinging up the mountainside with a Truck.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

CJacobs posted:

The attention to detail for Norman Reedus naked is just crazy.

FTFY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dude's got some tight glutes, I can definitely see this game awakening something in unsuspecting players

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ring Fit Adventure is the most ludicrously fine-tuned skinner box I've ever experienced. It's astonishingly difficult to resist the urge to pick the game up for a quick session. The game turns doing squats into an urge.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a little something and also a request for other examples of this -

One of my favorite games on the Gamecube was PSO. The first area's boss is this dragon, nothing too special during the fight really (except I think it could burrow underground, kinda weird for a dragon thinking about it). However, when I first managed to defeat it, while celebrating as its body fell, I noticed that I somehow also died. Turns out I got squished by its toppling corpse. Oops!

Even my kid self with worse anger issues than now found it hilarious at the time.

What are some other games where you can die due to the corpse of the boss falling on you, or its death-flails or what-have-you? Now I'd want to differentiate between mindless death-flails/collapsing and a directed final 'gently caress you' attack. Examples of the latter are IIRC most bosses in Rondo of Blood, and the one boss in Ys Oath in Felghana that tries to suck you in and explode violently when you defeat it. If the boss is intentionally trying to kill you with its last breath then it doesn't count for me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

edit: gently caress, I misread and this doesn't count. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE4 the Gigantes can kill you by falling on you when they die. They also have a flail and might kill you animation if you kill one the alternate way but not sure if that counts.