Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tom Holland, historian, of 'never voting Labour but say I'm not going to because of anti-semitism' fame:

This thread is from August 2018 and leads off from a thread with Owen Jones.

Several Jewish people comment in the thread disagree with him and are therefore completely dissed by Holland.

https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1027868586168274944?s=20

Holland is such a loving hack, nice to know he's just a pos in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen a few new buildings with wires up the side for climbing plants, presumably they try to encourage them to out-compete the ones that get into the cracks and gently caress poo poo up.

Barbican (and Tower Hill station) just use plants that come down from the top rather than up from the bottom which also works.

(I'm revealing that I know gently caress-all about what plants are called despite claiming to be a hobbyist gardener...)

I'm mostly drawing from mam's garage which she put a massive ivy on because she didn't want to look at it, which then took over about half of the building and has grown from a small bed in the middle of one wall, around the garage and onto the other side, and over most of the roof. She got sick of looking at that as well because it was blocking a lot of light into the garden so I got roped into cutting it back :v:

And the main thing i noticed is that creeper is perfectly designed for a: sticking to brickwork and b: digging into any little hole it can get and gently caress MY LIFE if it gets to the roof you might as well demolish the building because it gets under the shingles. DO NOT EVEN START with me about the guttering, I couldn't get it out of there at all, even the dead stuff just stays stuck there and some of the main stems are as thick as your thumb. If it wasn't a garage and thus not really important it'd probably need some hefty repairs.

Basically plants are lovely to look at but the bastards are nature's vengeance against buildings, so I dread to think how the maintenence profile of a high rise carpeted in plants is gonna go 20 years from now.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

This thing that didn't exist 72 years ago is fundamental to Judaism, says non jew. loving wild take that is basically antisemitic.
Eh, Israel, or the idea that there should be an Israel, has over 100 years in it.

But saying that saying there shouldn't is worse than calling Muslim women letterboxes, or saying that there shouldn't is blood libel is outrageously loving bad.

Blood libel is a whole different thing and there's a whole movement of Third Temple Jews who don't think that Israel should exist yet.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

look i'm completely anti-racist, thats why i don't like corbyn, the fact that i dismiss blatant racism totally inline with the leadership of the conservatives does not mean im doing this for political reasons

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

jabby posted:

Not a great set of polls for Labour today, but no worse than in 2017. And most will have just updated their methodology to take account of the Brexit party not standing.

Comparing a few like-for-like (i.e. YouGov 2017 to YouGov 2019) polls at the same stage of the campaign, the gap is around 4-5% closer than last time. And a lot of Labour's later progress in 2017 came after the manifesto.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

xtothez posted:

Comparing a few like-for-like (i.e. YouGov 2017 to YouGov 2019) polls at the same stage of the campaign, the gap is around 4-5% closer than last time. And a lot of Labour's later progress in 2017 came after the manifesto.

I don't think any will have covered the free broadband bounce yet either.

My favourite thing about this election so far is the Tory PR machine appear to have no answer for how to hide the total loving state of the Tory party in public.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Holland is such a loving hack, nice to know he's just a pos in general

To be a famous British historian you have to

A. Know about British history.
B. Be willing to ignore literally everything about British history.

So yeah, they're all cunts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cunts, Marxists, and a handful of both.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gonzo McFee posted:

To be a famous British historian you have to

A. Know about British history.
B. Be willing to ignore literally everything about British history.

So yeah, they're all cunts.

I'm not sure if it's possible to be a historian at all without being either two meals away from picking up an AK47 and waving the black flag, or so thirsty for the cock of the nearest authority figure (preferably one who got the position due entirely to birth) that you have to learn how to breathe out of your rear end.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

90% of the evacuation was completely unnecessary by what we know about radiation now, or at least knocks less time off of your life than living in London. It's still cool though, even if it did come at a massive human and political cost.

What did the terrible gas boilers look like? Most people where I grew up went straight from a free standing copper to twin tub and immersion heater.

I've definitely seen those walkways in your other picture in a couple of things in that genre.

They're a bit hard to explain and I can't find a good picture of one (given they were all torn out in the 60s) but basically imagine something half-way between a copper and a toilet cistern with a gas fire under it.

And like I say, Samuda gets used a *lot* for "generic urban hellhole" because it's one of the few places with the right aesthetic that's just gentrified enough to stop the insurers having kittens about it. Also LBTH is pretty generous with the filming permits, and if you're being all heavy-handed you can film in Canary Wharf and Samuda on the same day.

The other place in Tower Hamlets that gets used a lot is actually a Corporation of London estate (like the Barbican) on Middlesex Street:

They're filming there, or in the adjacent Petticoat Lane, almost every week.

Probably the most generic "you're gonna get stabbed" filming location in London is ironically the most distinctive, the Alexandra Estate in Camden:

Wikipedia sez:

quote:

The brutalist architecture of the estate has been used as background or location in a number of films:

Scenes of the estate under construction can be seen in "Down to You, Brother", a 1976 episode of the TV series The Sweeney.
Setting of the 2000 ITV film A Christmas Carol.
Shown in 2003 at the beginning of "Spiders", an episode of the BBC drama Spooks.
Featured in “Mask of Sanity”, a series 6 episode of the BBC drama “Waking the Dead”
Given the fictitious name Marbatan Estates, the site served as a principal location in the 2014 episode "Undertone" of the TV series Silent Witness.
The home of the characters Miro and Amira in the 2006 film Breaking and Entering
The estate was used in the 2014 film Kingsman: The Secret Service. It is the housing Gary "Eggsy" Unwin (actor Taron Egerton) and his family resides in after his father's death.
In "Prime Suspect: The Final Act", series 7 of the British police procedural television drama series starring Helen Mirren, character Curtis Flynn is shown attempting to escape from police capture by jumping and scaling between apartment terraces in the estate.
Shown in Episode 7, “The Russian Cousin”, of the 12th and final series of BBC’s New Tricks, where Steve McAndrew (actor Denis Lawson) and DCI Sasha Miller (actor Tamzin Outhwaite) stroll down the central pedestrian walkway discussing the case.
Featured in BBC Two drama London Spy as the home of the parents of lead character Daniel Edward Holt.
The two-part Channel 4 TV movie Never Never with John Simm and Sophie Okonedo is set in the Alexandra Road Estate.
The estate features in the 2017 city symphony London Symphony, a fusion of silent film and classical music which offers a poetic journey through the capital.
In the 2017 Channel 4 sci-fi adaptation of Philip K. Dicks short stories, Electric Dreams, several night scenes of the first episode (titled "The Hood Maker") are filmed in the estate. Shots of A Block and the underground road feature.
The 2018 BBC TV series Hard Sun features the estate as the site of a brutal stabbing and the subsequent police investigation.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can someone give me a brief summary of why people say Corbyn is taking us back to the 70s, and why that's bad.

Honestly clueless.

I was not present then and neither were the people who always say that.

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 17, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Can someone give me a brief summary of why people say Corbyn is taking us back to the 70s, and why that's bad.

Honestly clueless.

Because in the 70s unions had power and the government owned things like utilities and the Tories had a 3 day week and rolling blackouts and this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably the most generic "you're gonna get stabbed" filming location in London is ironically the most distinctive, the Alexandra Estate in Camden:

Wikipedia sez:

I was about to say, I'm pretty sure I saw this in an episode of The Expanse the other day (S2E10, "Cascade")

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ratjaculation posted:

Honestly clueless.

Something about bins. Labour nationalising Dusty Bin I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible to be a historian at all without being either two meals away from picking up an AK47 and waving the black flag, or so thirsty for the cock of the nearest authority figure (preferably one who got the position due entirely to birth) that you have to learn how to breathe out of your rear end.

Reminds me of a meme I saw that was a nerd alignment chart, and for some reason put history nerds as neutral.

Which, uh, does not jive with my experience of history nerds one bit, they're either very good or very very bad, I don't think there are neutral history people out there because the only way you can be neutral on it is by not knowing anything about it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The other place in Tower Hamlets that gets used a lot is actually a Corporation of London estate (like the Barbican) on Middlesex Street:

See this and the other place actually look really nice to me? Because I'm used to middlesbrough which is waaaay more gritty and miserable looking on an overcast day :v: That poo poo's downright upmarket. It's got living trees and the shops are open.

This however is clearly a habitable storm drain.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And like I say, Samuda gets used a *lot* for "generic urban hellhole" because it's one of the few places with the right aesthetic that's just gentrified enough to stop the insurers having kittens about it. Also LBTH is pretty generous with the filming permits, and if you're being all heavy-handed you can film in Canary Wharf and Samuda on the same day.

I can definitely remember at least a couple of TV movies or series where the walkways and car park bit of

was where most of the action was taking place, and probably the interior shots were filmed somewhere entirely different, but I can't remember the names, only that presumably camera crews camped out in that middle bit to get good shots of appropriately London people milling around outside.

e: I assume it's at least in part because those walkways are good scenes for people to dramatically shove past one another.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another weird urban planning thing I like is the ghost estates.

Which is where they knock down an estate but don't redevelop the site, so you get the old pavements, roads, and drives, but none of the buildings.

Also a still operating care home in the middle of that one :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

This however is clearly a habitable storm drain.
I actually rather like these. Used to walk or take the bus past them on the regular. They are right next to the train line and have these thick concrete walls facing the trainline and the north and these open windowed facades facing south You can't really see those from the angle the photo is taken from though, you only get the concrete banisters of the balconies which don't look that friendly... Also this is taken in autumn so all the flower boxes and greenery are bare.

That said never been in and I don't know what it is like to actually live there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Another weird urban planning thing I like is the ghost estates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOS_UAu3CRQ&t=90s

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Also a still operating care home in the middle of that one :v:

Obviously the mayor dezoned the area but forgot to move the other buildings, common oversight. Now it won't get electricity anymore

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a few of those bits in boro and I will say one thing and that's that they make great training courses for learner drivers, all the fun of a dense street layout, none of the traffic or vision blockers :v:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Munin posted:

I actually rather like these. Used to walk or take the bus past them on the regular. They are right next to the train line and have these thick concrete walls facing the trainline and the north and these open windowed facades facing south You can't really see those from the angle the photo is taken from though, you only get the concrete banisters of the balconies which don't look that friendly... Also this is taken in autumn so all the flower boxes and greenery are bare.

That said never been in and I don't know what it is like to actually live there.

Yeah they almost always looked rather nice when I went past on the bus

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

90% of the evacuation was completely unnecessary by what we know about radiation now, or at least knocks less time off of your life than living in London. It's still cool though, even if it did come at a massive human and political cost.
Re-reading my comment, I realise I meant the stuff like the whole forest that was downwind of the reactor, where tour groups are not allowed because they absorbed huge amounts of radiation and are still slowly releasing it.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-chernobyl-disaster-might-have-also-built-a-paradise/

You also get cool stuff like the mall in Bangkok which was abandoned, got overgrown and then flooded.

http://www.barcroft.tv/abandoned-shopping-mall-sees-return-of-fish-on-bottom-floor

Amd also as I said, I loving love Indonesian temples overgrown by generations upon generations of trees and vines.

https://www.experiencetravelgroup.com/cambodia/exp/ta-prohm-temple

Stuff looks so much cooler without people, even normally heavily populated areas, there's a photoshop function where you can take a shitload of photos and it'll go through processing out the people and you could (in theory) get empty photos of places like Times Square, Westminster Bridge and so on.

https://toomanyadapters.com/how-to-remove-people-travel-photos-photoshop/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Architecture chat: I like any tower block that looks like something out of a Gerry Anderson show :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
very much enjoying modernist communist cop simulator 2019, extremely on point for a videogame

(Disco Elysium endgame spoilers):

Just a shame you had no choice but to take him in. I wanted let the old man go/have a dignified death. Good game in many ways but too many parts where you're railroaded and a few bits where you need specific skills to advance because there's no alternative, so you basically have to savesum the check if you haven't put any points in that particular one (and it doesn't give any indication at the beginning that you'll need it)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maybe this has been posted already:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195628070138531843?s=20

Veeeeeeery misleading ad here.

"Taxpayers will, on average, pay £2400/year extra tax under Corbyn, that's equivalent to working an extra month a year to pay for tax!"

Except unless you're earning more than £6,666.66/month (£80k/year) you'll pay nothing extra. And even at £80k you won't pay £2400/year extra.

Just pure, pure bullshit.

E:

Also, jesus loving christ:

https://twitter.com/divaeharris/status/1195337444759146496?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 17, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Related to brutalism chat the thread will probably like this video and channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFF0UIUb8gs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Did Socrates have autism :/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

very much enjoying modernist communist cop simulator 2019, extremely on point for a videogame

(Disco Elysium endgame spoilers):

Just a shame you had no choice but to take him in. I wanted let the old man go/have a dignified death. Good game in many ways but too many parts where you're railroaded and a few bits where you need specific skills to advance because there's no alternative, so you basically have to savesum the check if you haven't put any points in that particular one (and it doesn't give any indication at the beginning that you'll need it)

I did love how despite being the Biggest Communism Builder, that character told me "You're not a real communist. All the real communists are dead. You are not dead., truly no pleasing some people :v:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Hello Urban Planning chat,

I have a question: what would you say is a good example of a "modern" (aka built in the last ten years) community in Britain? I'm just interested in seeing what new housing looks like.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chuka Umana posted:

I have a question: what would you say is a good example of a "modern" (aka built in the last ten years) community in Britain? I'm just interested in seeing what new housing looks like.

Milton Keynes was built from nothing in the 60s. The town itself once stood as a monument to the social planning of the "New Towns" movement, but over time control over its planning fell increasingly out of the hands of the government and into (business) partnerships with tenuous government links. Expansion is now driven by corporate interest. If you want to find a part that's about 12 years old now, look at the hub and Manhattan house: shiny glass fronted towers full of upmarket retail and lifestyle businesses with single bedroom apartments costing roughly 200k each. The other new communities in Milton Keynes are groups of tents which the homeless form camps in around the town itself.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's unfair to say that's a comprehensive list of the offerings available in new "communities". You've also got endless new build housing estates cropping up on fields in the outskirts of developed areas, with a few zones for local shops and maybe somewhere to bung a school, doctors surgery, recreation ground, police station and whatever else the developer needed to butter up the district council. The main feature of these estates is roads and having somewhere to put your car because you're going to need it.

If you want to see what I mean, just go into google maps, type in "barratt estate", then click the nearest arrow to appear on the map and have a look on street view.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 17, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's unfair to say that's a comprehensive list of the offerings available in new "communities". You've also got endless new build housing estates cropping up on fields in the outskirts of developed areas, with a few zones for local shops and maybe somewhere to bung a school, doctors surgery, recreation ground, police station and whatever else the developer needed to butter up the district council. The main feature of these estates is roads and having somewhere to put your car because you're going to need it.

If you want to see what I mean, just go into google maps, type in "barratt estate", then click the nearest arrow to appear on the map and have a look on street view.

A lot of the time you don’t even get that. I’ve seen estates with homes that have 3-4 bedrooms but only one allocated parking space/enough space on the driveway for one vehicle. Then you get garages that are too small; a friend of mine who owns a townhouse on the outskirts of Portsmouth has an integrated garage on the ground floor that can barely fit an old VW Polo in. Then you have the parking spaces that are too small; my partner and I were looking at some new build-ish flats a couple of years back and the spaces were so small that the 1 Series I had at the time overhung the space and wouldn’t have been able to open the doors had other cars been either side. The 1 Series is not a big car either.

The estate I used to live at until a few months back was deliberately designed with inadequate parking as a condition for being able to build the estate, to encourage people to use public transport. Did they bother to improve public transport links and make it practical for people to use?

Did they gently caress. End result was cars parked loving everywhere they shouldn’t be.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

goddamnedtwisto posted:

LPS mid-rises and why they suck (except when they don't)

Robin Hood Gardens. Now’s the time to talk about Brutalism and the end of the council estate, then.

Brutalism is basically a curse word when you’re talking about council housing, but that’s a little unfair. For a start, there’s really not very much Brutalist council housing in the UK. A lot of people would, for example, Great Arthur House )in the section about cast-in-place) Brutalist because of the material - raw concrete, where Brutalism got its name from (beton brut being French for raw concrete). Many - most - council high-rises are (or were originally) faced in raw concrete because it’s cheap. So let’s talk about the material before we get onto the design itself.

I enjoyed reading your post, thanks, but what the heck happened to this paragraph

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The good thing is it's free at the point of service, so dentists won't give a poo poo initially because they're still getting paid, just by the NHS rather than by patients.

The patients will notice though, and start asking this question themselves.

dentists who do only NHS work

but increasing the price differential for patients between private & public treatment is going to reduce the number of people opting to go private. in “oh it’s only £X more for the convenience” the X has just got a lot bigger. and you know how they rely on a mix of private & NHS to balance the books.
when this goes through, expect the NHS rates paid to get a bump to compensate otherwise more will drop out of the public sector. not good when there’s still chronic shortages of public dentists in areas

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

There's a few of those bits in boro and I will say one thing and that's that they make great training courses for learner drivers, all the fun of a dense street layout, none of the traffic or vision blockers :v:

Oh god I wish! I had to learn how to drive in London :gonk:

Poor little autistic/ADHD me had to devote an entire day to recovering from the lessons.

Let's do time trials at the ghost estate! :sanix: :corsair:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I suddenly feel like Corbyn's republicanism might have become a net positive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe this has been posted already:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195628070138531843?s=20

Veeeeeeery misleading ad here.

"Taxpayers will, on average, pay £2400/year extra tax under Corbyn, that's equivalent to working an extra month a year to pay for tax!"

Except unless you're earning more than £6,666.66/month (£80k/year) you'll pay nothing extra. And even at £80k you won't pay £2400/year extra.

Just pure, pure bullshit.

E:

Also, jesus loving christ:

https://twitter.com/divaeharris/status/1195337444759146496?s=20

The fact that the average extra is only 2400 and 80% of people won't pay it is INSANE.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Chuka Umana posted:

That new estate that won the Stirling Prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

I enjoyed reading your post, thanks, but what the heck happened to this paragraph

It's an attempt at doing a J-turn between a load of poo poo I'd already written and the direction the narrative had went in and it didn't go well.