Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Just finished up the Australian GC. I did not have a very good run, but my MOV earned me a Resistance damage deck. 4 of the top 8 were droid swarms w/ Sear and discord missiles.

Buzz droids ain't no joke in the right hands

The winner was a very well flown Obi, Plo & Ric list. If the final was 75 minutes instead of 2 hours I don't think the Jedi list would have stood a chance against Akhter's droid swarm.

What did you fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Found a mistake in the epic battles rule book. Page 17 says three shuttles per side then for the rest of the rules says 2

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Found a mistake in the epic battles rule book. Page 17 says three shuttles per side then for the rest of the rules says 2

Yeah, there's some minor corrections - check the errata on page 7 of the Epic Rules Reference.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...7xGmAw0Fhd0A_Q8

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

What did you fly?

Nien Nunb T-70 X-wing (63)
Heroic + Integrated S-foils + Pattern Analyzer + Black One

Lieutenant Bastian T-70 X-wing (48)
Integrated S-foils

Cova Nell Resistance Transport (58)
Heroic + Leia Organa

Finn Resistance Transport Pod (30)
Heroic

It’s a good list that,s fun to fly and can constantly confuse opponents.

1st loss was against a Sear swarm where it was a 50/50 call which ship he was going to turn in on and I chose wrong.

Next loss was the Khirax/Torkil/Seevor swarm. The game went seven turns. Turn 3 ended at 45 min in and I had to turn in early to attempt to get points. I lost at time. Not happy about that one.

Last one was a bro bots list and even my opponent said I outflew him from start to finish, but that the way it goes sometimes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Nien Nunb T-70 X-wing (63)
Heroic + Integrated S-foils + Pattern Analyzer + Black One

Lieutenant Bastian T-70 X-wing (48)
Integrated S-foils

Cova Nell Resistance Transport (58)
Heroic + Leia Organa

Finn Resistance Transport Pod (30)
Heroic

It’s a good list that,s fun to fly and can constantly confuse opponents.

1st loss was against a Sear swarm where it was a 50/50 call which ship he was going to turn in on and I chose wrong.

Next loss was the Khirax/Torkil/Seevor swarm. The game went seven turns. Turn 3 ended at 45 min in and I had to turn in early to attempt to get points. I lost at time. Not happy about that one.

Last one was a bro bots list and even my opponent said I outflew him from start to finish, but that the way it goes sometimes.

A similar list just lost in top 4 at our grand champs:

Same Cova and Finn, plus Heroic/Crack Greer and Heroic/R4/Title Poe

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There was a 2-hour final game round? My mind is fried after at least an hour, let alone dealing with players that stall, run, and dance around the board.

Anyone ever thought about doing a round-limited type of game? There'd still be a timer, but it could be "20 rounds or 75 minutes, whichever occurs first". Yeah, you might see people stall for final salvo but at least people aren't suffering for 75 minutes until that happens.

I know I keep bringing up a 2x2 board for games, I'm thinking of approaching our League Dude and seeing about doing a short "Close Combat" league with list restrictions:

-Each player brings two obstacles
-Player's list can't be more than 150 points, and must have at least two ships in a list
-45 minute timer
-2x2 game mat

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
27th at Polish Grand Championships and 2nd best Scum.

While my ambition going in was simply to try and place in the first half (out of 118), but then things went well and I got quite sad for not getting into the top cut, since the two losses I suffered were salvageable: the first game was a close finish of the "first person to get a bad turn in gets tabled" variety and the other was an extremely favorable matchup that I nevertheless somehow managed to bungle.

Still, I had the major moral victory of beating Damian "Dydu" Drzystek with a list he reached finals at World's this year!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

There was a 2-hour final game round? My mind is fried after at least an hour, let alone dealing with players that stall, run, and dance around the board.

Anyone ever thought about doing a round-limited type of game? There'd still be a timer, but it could be "20 rounds or 75 minutes, whichever occurs first". Yeah, you might see people stall for final salvo but at least people aren't suffering for 75 minutes until that happens.

I know I keep bringing up a 2x2 board for games, I'm thinking of approaching our League Dude and seeing about doing a short "Close Combat" league with list restrictions:

-Each player brings two obstacles
-Player's list can't be more than 150 points, and must have at least two ships in a list
-45 minute timer
-2x2 game mat

The scenarios pack has lighter game modes than the standard 200pt/6 obstacles/75min format. The rules for the "Aces High" scenario is out. It's basically X-Wing Battle Royale. You fly one ship at a set point value, get a point for being the first person to deal damage to an enemy, 2 points for killing someone, and if you kill someone you get a token placed on you that awards an extra point to whoever kills you. Dead players respawn at the start of the next round. You can play to either a score (about 6 points) or time (30-45 minutes).

It's fast and fun and often hilarious. Scenarios pack should be out early 2020.

Our local group decided to modify this. We play "Aces Low" which is vaguely based off Commander Mode for Magic. In Commander, you can make a deal for anything, at any time. Same is true in Aces Low, and the currency is points. Aces Low is played to time, because points fly around like mad.

Player with Redline rolls up, gets in range of multiple wounded ships, is pondering who to lock to fire his proton torps. "Nice ships you got there," he says. "Shame if something were to happen to one of them." A bidding war between the players started up...and then the Torkil Mux player chimes in. "You guys can kill Redline if you shoot before him. If any of you give me a point, I'll zero him."

Torkil got his point...and then zeroed the guy who gave it to him, and Redline nuked that dude instead.

It was glorious.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, my local gaming group is doing an epic team tournament. Everybody needs to bring an epic ship, and 500 points. Is this dumb, or the dumbest poo poo?

Poe Dameron (68)
Swarm Tactics (5)
R2 Astromech (4)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Dreadnought Hunter (10)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

New Republic Volunteers (55)
Ion Cannon Battery (6)
Dorsal Turret (3)
C-3PO (6)
PZ-4CO (6)
Damage Control Team (3)
Boosted Scanners (8)
Total: 497

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

X-wings are of course in a wing.

With them all at ps6 for shooting, I am figuring I can blast through, with ym teammate. Get em in r3 of the enemy big ship, have the HLCs strip shield, then poe causes fun face up damage shenannigans.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my local gaming group is doing an epic team tournament. Everybody needs to bring an epic ship, and 500 points. Is this dumb, or the dumbest poo poo?

Poe Dameron (68)
Swarm Tactics (5)
R2 Astromech (4)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Dreadnought Hunter (10)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Black Squadron Ace (49)
Swarm Tactics (3)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

New Republic Volunteers (55)
Ion Cannon Battery (6)
Dorsal Turret (3)
C-3PO (6)
PZ-4CO (6)
Damage Control Team (3)
Boosted Scanners (8)
Total: 497

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

X-wings are of course in a wing.

With them all at ps6 for shooting, I am figuring I can blast through, with ym teammate. Get em in r3 of the enemy big ship, have the HLCs strip shield, then poe causes fun face up damage shenannigans.

I think you need veteran wing leader to set up the wing, which prevents you from having dreadnought hunter in Poe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I think you need veteran wing leader to set up the wing, which prevents you from having dreadnought hunter in Poe.

No. Dreadnought hunter is a command card you assign to wing commanders. Veteran Wing Leader is another type of command card. You can have a wing without either IIRC.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't know much at all about Epic, but keep in mind the strongest Epic ships (Raider, CR90) have upwards of 28 health with 2 regen per round, plus reinforce, plus whatever other damage mitigation nonsense they put together.

I'm not sure you have enough ships to burn through one of those.

Six 4-dice attacks is 24 max damage, assuming you roll perfectly (which you won't). Raider will reinforce one off per shot, bringing it down to 18 max. (None of this counts crits. Are there double damage crits in the epic deck?)

Given you're probably not going to max the damage, and it'll regen at least two shields, it's not unreasonable to assume it lives through the second volley, too. It certainly lives through the first.

Then it's going to run your rear end over if you're in front of it. Plus whatever damage the non-epic ship puts out. You can fit a couple of full wings of TIEs to go with a fully-loaded Raider.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. Dreadnought hunter is a command card you assign to wing commanders. Veteran Wing Leader is another type of command card. You can have a wing without either IIRC.

The rules for wing squad building say this:

quote:

A player can select a wing leader and form a wing by equipping specific upgrade cards. These upgrade cards nominate a small ship as a wing leader, contain parameters for choosing that wing leader’s wingmates, and provide the wing with an ability to use during the game.

Dreadnought hunter doesn't say anything about making you a wing leader or what wingmates would be. It seems to be a use for the command upgrade on something other than a wing. I could certainly be wrong, but it doesn't match the text on the other wing leader cards.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
e: nvm, me dumb

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

K. I dumb then. Back to drawering board.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
No really, you're fine. I missed that all your ships have Swarm Tactics. That's a mean alpha strike for sure.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Given you're probably not going to max the damage, and it'll regen at least two shields, it's not unreasonable to assume it lives through the second volley, too. It certainly lives through the first.

Are... are epic games supposed to be over in two turns of shooting?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Are... are epic games supposed to be over in two turns of shooting?

No, but it sounded like he was planning to alpha strike the opponent's epic ship off the board before it could do anything. Which won't happen.

Although I did miss the part where he'll have a buddy with his own setup. Which makes it...possible? Maybe?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, Strobe, T-65 X-Wings are baller in 2.0.

Wedge is in almost every rebel list. Thane and Luke are common. Biggs pops up occasionally (far less than he should, IMO).

You can fit any three of those in a list, plus a fourth ship (could be a generic T65 or something else), with room leftover for upgrades.

Here's one with Wedge/Biggs (or Thane, same price)/Luke/Lt. Blount, with a Sense in the list to help with positioning and blocking
https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v8ZsZ200Z5XWWWW142Y4X75WWWW142Y7XWWW142Y55XWW&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

Is it absolute top-tier? No. But it's not far off. Using Biggs/Thane/Wedge/Blount gets you 19 points left to spend on upgrades like torps or selfless or crack shot or whatever. Or swap Thane or Biggs for Braylen in a B-Wing; he's baller.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

No, but it sounded like he was planning to alpha strike the opponent's epic ship off the board before it could do anything. Which won't happen.

Although I did miss the part where he'll have a buddy with his own setup. Which makes it...possible? Maybe?

Wasn't planning on removing it in one turn, just do a shitton of damage to it maybe and cripple it with crits.

That being said, rewriting everything in the list tbqh

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve been looking over the epic stuff this morning and I really like the huge ship designs. They’re super powerful and (unlike their first edition versions) less vulnerable to alpha strikes by massed generics

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I’ve been looking over the epic stuff this morning and I really like the huge ship designs. They’re super powerful and (unlike their first edition versions) less vulnerable to alpha strikes by massed generics

It's kinda funny that 8 Y Wings with TLTs could wipe a huge ship in two turns in 1e.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Serious Business X-Wing time is over, for a while. I have no more tournaments on the horizon. I'm sure that will change in early 2020, but for now, it's time for dumb poo poo.

Y'all have heard of the Aces High variant right? The multiplayer free-for-all format?

A quick summary looks like this:

-Up to 8 players
-Bring one ship of X points or less, where X is decided ahead of time. (80 points is really common)
-Determine who is first player, second player, etc, in some fashion. Usually initiative, with bids breaking ties.
-Bring one obstacle of your choice. Obstacles are placed from first to last player until there are six.
-Four hyperspace jump point tokens are placed on the map; this determines where players re-spawn.
-You get 1 point if you take a ship from full health to less than full health. (Regen ships can trigger this state more than once)
-You get 2 points for killing another ship
-If you kill a ship, a "Bounty token" is placed on you.
-Anyone who kills someone with bounty tokens gets the normal 2 points for killing them, plus a point for each bounty token their victim has.
-Alliances are encouraged.
-So you can stab them in the back later.
-Destroyed ships come back at the beginning of every round; no one is eliminated. You come back just as you did on the first round; full charges, cards on mandatory side (if any), etc.
-A win condition is set. Sometimes it's "First to X points" and sometimes it's "most points after X minute". Six points and 45 minutes are common.

Locally we've been testing Aces Low, which is *exactly* like the above except

-Players can trade points for any reason at any time. "I'll give you a point if you shoot them instead."
-If you would deploy with 0 points, you get 1 point. (So someone can always make a deal)
-You can declare someone Friendly for the purpose of card abilities at any time.
-They (or you) can unfriend someone at any time.
-Game has to end at a time limit. If you try to do to X points, no one trades points and you're just playing Aces High with arguing.

This leads to some truly hilarious games. Torkil Mux is my favorite so far; he's the ultimate kingmaker. He extorts people not to get zero'd, he gets people into bidding wars over who gets to shoot first against wounded ships, sometimes he makes deals and then, since he shoots so late, breaks his word and kills the person he just extorted...it's amazing.

We've also had people fly around with Hotshot Copilots ransoming people's focus tokens, Esege Tuketu opening his Focus Factory for business every round, and lots of what we call "Redline Diplomacy," in which someone with a big-rear end gun puts his potential targets into a bidding war; he who pays most doesn't die.

We're still tweaking the format. I think we're going to start increasing the points you get for doing things, because point totals tend to be kind of low and people are reluctant to part with them sometimes.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Someone posted the rules to imgur if that's easier: https://i.imgur.com/PNFrWN3.jpg

Electronic Baffle or other abilities that allow you to damage yourself to take the First Blood point off yourself is the only thing I don't like, but it's Aces High so you can just house rule that away. Bombs seem weird in the format too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

canyonero posted:

Someone posted the rules to imgur if that's easier: https://i.imgur.com/PNFrWN3.jpg

Electronic Baffle or other abilities that allow you to damage yourself to take the First Blood point off yourself is the only thing I don't like, but it's Aces High so you can just house rule that away. Bombs seem weird in the format too.

I'd also probably ban Lone Wolf if I was going to house rule stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wolffe with Veteran Tail Gunner sounds like fun in that format, a target rich environment

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We don't allow self-damage to grant first blood, but it is a valid way to prevent OTHERS from getting first blood.

Lone Wolf is meaningless in a game where force exists. It's a passive mod. You're paying for it. (Edit: Aces Low makes it trivial to turn off, too. "I'm his friend right now." "No you're not!" "Yes I am!" "No!" "Pay me to go away!")

Bombs are fine. If you or your stuff did the thing to someone else, you get credit for it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ConfusedUs posted:

Bombs are fine. If you or your stuff did the thing to someone else, you get credit for it.

We made a house rule that once you die, any mines you dropped during that life will no longer score you points (they stay on the board, though). It came up when I was flying this Pure Sabacc loadout:

quote:

"Pure Sabacc" (44)
Snap Shot (7)
Fifth Brother (9)
Proximity Mines (6)
Afterburners (6)

Ship total: 72 Half Points: 36 Threshold: 2

When death doesn't matter, go striker! I rarely lived more than two rounds so I basically always used afterburners and always dropped a mine, and I came in second place, one point behind the win (we were both 6-7 points ahead of everyone else).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Voodoofly posted:

We made a house rule that once you die, any mines you dropped during that life will no longer score you points (they stay on the board, though). It came up when I was flying this Pure Sabacc loadout:

When death doesn't matter, go striker! I rarely lived more than two rounds so I basically always used afterburners and always dropped a mine, and I came in second place, one point behind the win (we were both 6-7 points ahead of everyone else).

We just remove permanent objects on death. Otherwise things can get crazy with, say, rigged cargo chutes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm participating in a tournament on the weekend, using the 'Season of Giving' variant. I'm trying to decide between two lists.

One is OGP with Palps, and a pair of Delta Squadron Pilot init 1 defenders with HLCs.

The other is Jendon, a pair of Rho Squadron pilots with protorps, and Jonus with protorps.

Any thoughts either way?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am planning on painting my epics.

Tonight should I paint a medium transport black with an Orange Resistance logo, or paint my cr90 red?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

I'm participating in a tournament on the weekend, using the 'Season of Giving' variant. I'm trying to decide between two lists.

One is OGP with Palps, and a pair of Delta Squadron Pilot init 1 defenders with HLCs.

The other is Jendon, a pair of Rho Squadron pilots with protorps, and Jonus with protorps.

Any thoughts either way?

I don't know what Season of Giving is, but that Jendon/DoubleDelta list is solid. It plays the long game, though. I won't say it's "Get 55 points, run forever"...but it's not far from that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know what Season of Giving is
Official variant in the Squadbuilder site/app.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Everybody gets co-ordinate on their action bar I believe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's starting to be a bit of a scene for the game around here and I'm thinking of going Rebel scum and I really kinda want to use the Ghost. Terrible idea or terrible idea?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played against someone flying two of them, along with a Leia crew U-Wing. I couldn’t kill the drat things fast enough before I ran out of ships.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The incredible bulk will never die.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am some day gonna get a 2nd ghost and do it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just borrow one!

Double deci plus lambda is probably better tho. You lose the fourth attack die but gain some action economy and tricks from imperial crew and pilots

Sai plus title fits with two patrol leaders with a ton of points to spare. You can make one RAC or oicunn, or add some crew, or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Just borrow one!

Double deci plus lambda is probably better tho. You lose the fourth attack die but gain some action economy and tricks from imperial crew and pilots

Sai plus title fits with two patrol leaders with a ton of points to spare. You can make one RAC or oicunn, or add some crew, or whatever

Ha ha ha.

RAMMING SPEED