Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stingtwo posted:

The OUYA was for a problem that didn't need solving in the 1st place, couch gaming with friends still existed on the big 3 consoles. But the company was a comedy of errors, setting up a booth in a car park across the street from E3 and promoting Donkey Kong Country on the system are the bigger ones.

Having said that, the android consoles has never really disappeared with the nvidia shield still around and OUYA was bought by Razer for a stupid amount of money.

One of the rules of marketing is if you don't see a need, you create the need, even if the need is already fulfilled.

For example, you start by telling people that AAA gaming is rubbish and that all developers are greedy, just pumping out the same rubbish games, and only you can save it, you just need a few million to achieve everything anyone could possibly ever want. You tell them that every dollar they give you is 5 times more efficiently spent than by those greedy publishers so you can make everything better. Then you buy a mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Calling it now that SQ42 will be released episodically. To make sure new episodes are made, you gotta buy some new jpegs of ships!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr.Smasher posted:

Calling it now that SQ42 will be released episodically. To make sure new episodes are made, you gotta buy some new jpegs of ships!

SQ42: Chapter 1, Episode 1, FMV scene 1 - Answer the Call: 2022.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Lol, they've already said that SQ42 will be episodic, albeit with episodes larger than AAA titles. They've already "sold" the second episode to early backers (or was it only for those of a high enough tier?). And then they talked about a prelude, and/or a prologue, and now it's anyone's guess what the gently caress they're going to be releasing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Armadillo Tank posted:

How is it that none of the citizens are complaining about third person cameras? That is a super anti-sim addition. It means that anyone playing from the cockpit of a vehicle is potentially at a severe disadvantage. This was a outrage when it was added to mechwarrior online. Yet these morons are completely okay with it.

Also my depression got worse seeing people so broken as looking forward to vending machine maintenance.

Yes but you see the first person camera is poo poo, the cockpits are poo poo, they've reworked everything twenty-five times and it's all still poo poo and at some point even Chris gets it through his thick skull that if he wants to wrap this up he's going to have to cut bait.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Seems the new weather system is still on the table for 3.8. I presume weather effects in Michrotec, rain etc would be one of the main ways to fleece commandos this Con.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

They're going to sell windshield wipers for tanks, aren't they.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

WaltherFeng posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at an old road map of FFXIV 2.0 and it basically says "Redo loving everything" and it took them 2 years.

They finished the battle system in 5 months.

If they were smart they'd try to get yoship to fix Star citizen lmao

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And umbrellas rain will clip through.

Maybe even umbrellas which make it rain under them.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
SQ42 episodes will be like those "Build Your Own" magazines, where you pay over the odds each week or month in order to complete a model car or a model solar system or such like.

You get the idea.

SQ42 will be the equivalent of Build Your Own Large Hadron Collider. You or the publisher will go broke long before the thing is complete.

e: speling

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is it just me, or is CIG actually a reasonable good publisher, generating hype, while also being a total poo poo developer? (Although they did start by contracting most of the game development out and they made a mess of that)

It's kind of funny. ( Like how long it took them to make a Delta patcher)

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Kosumo posted:

Is it just me, or is CIG actually a reasonable good publisher, generating hype, while also being a total poo poo developer? (Although they did start by contracting most of the game development out and they made a mess of that)

It's kind of funny. ( Like how long it took them to make a Delta patcher)

Not really no, cause publishers do more than just hype a game.

They distribute it (the sales numbers for their 2 games are shockingly low even if you look at them as pre-orders)

They hold the developers to a time and budget standard,which for an in-house developer makes them even worse in this department

As you said, they have treated 3rd parties like rear end, such as Saitek, this year will be that webcam they promoted last year that gets thrown under the bus.

For all the evil poo poo EA and Activision have done over their 35 years of existence, they have done less poo poo to staff and gamers than what CIG has done in 8 years.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder if they mocapped vending machine mechanics.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, but they did mocap people bending over and pressing the button. And mocapped people opening their space wallet to find their space money and insert it into the space coin slot.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

zebedy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: VendingMachien_Puzzle_Restock

:five:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

MedicineHut posted:

Seems the new weather system is still on the table for 3.8. I presume weather effects in Michrotec, rain etc would be one of the main ways to fleece commandos this Con.

How will they get rain to work when the whole universe is technically under water?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

monkeytek posted:

How will they get rain to work when the whole universe is technically under water?
They'll code in denser water and introduce an in-depth fluid simulation, obviously.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

SelenicMartian posted:

They'll code in denser water and introduce an in-depth fluid simulation, obviously.

Well then they had better render every rain drop real time to maintain their fidelity!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

monkeytek posted:

Well then they had better render every rain drop real time to maintain their fidelity!
How can they not? Otherwise two different players might not see the same droplets.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

can't wait for some hot janitorial action

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Lord Stimperor posted:

can't wait for some hot janitorial action

Let's add Viscera Cleanup Detail to the list of things SC rip off!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

And umbrellas rain will clip through.

Maybe even umbrellas which make it rain under them.

Umbrellas that let it rain indoors :D

Colostomy Bag posted:

Chris will probably insist on flying business class to Japan to mo-cap Sandi using vending machines in their natural environment :trustme:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes but you see the first person camera is poo poo, the cockpits are poo poo, they've reworked everything twenty-five times and it's all still poo poo and at some point even Chris gets it through his thick skull that if he wants to wrap this up he's going to have to cut bait.

Was there outside forces that lead him to release strike commander from his private development hell? It just seems like the bait that must be cut to release games is him.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:ironicat:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SelenicMartian posted:

How can they not? Otherwise two different players might not see the same droplets.

And when you zoom into the droplets I want to see the distorted refraction of another commando making faces with VOIP in real-time. If Star Citizen doesn't have that then it's a poo poo space game. (I also want to see the refraction of all the other raindrops in the zoomed-in raindrop.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Time for Roberts vision to pay off.

Someone has to mop up rain water in procedural building lobbies.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Raindrops will be 2D, billboarded animation that is permanently attached to the top of the umbrella object model. Thus, when the umbrella moves, so do the rain drops.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/5GpLpNW.gifv

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

AbstractNapper posted:

Lol, they've already said that SQ42 will be episodic, albeit with episodes larger than AAA titles. They've already "sold" the second episode to early backers (or was it only for those of a high enough tier?). And then they talked about a prelude, and/or a prologue, and now it's anyone's guess what the gently caress they're going to be releasing.

First will be Squadron 42. Then they will add VR support in Squadron 42 360. Finally, the prequel will be called Squadron 42 One.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No. Squadron 54.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
DYING WHITH ARGUS HELMET

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

When I wear the Argus helmet it hurts me
if I do not change it quickly I die

I’m losing blood

Death

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Actual result
Death

Expected result
nothing

I expected nothing, and I'm still disappointed.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

What's with the loving plants?

Whatever this corridor, room, entryway whatever is supposed to be, is completely devoid of decoration, styling nor any remotely aesthetic consideration. But there's 2 big planters there with space ferns in there... why?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm picking that the CitizensConned will have a surprise guest - my guess is Prince Andrew

He has shown he is on the same level of public relations expertise that CIG runs at.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Kosumo posted:

Did it work as in someone made lots of money for doing something really ineptly?

That's the Star Citizen way.

By this criteria, on a smaller scale, yes it did. Julie Uhrman transitioned from CEO of OUYA to a marketing executive for Playboy. So...a success for the only person who really mattered.

Star Citizen is a better version.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

One in the Bum posted:

Raindrops will be 2D, billboarded animation that is permanently attached to the top of the umbrella object model. Thus, when the umbrella moves, so do the rain drops.

Raindrops will be fully 3D modeled polygons for each rain drop in real time.
They will be affected by such things as gravity, wind speed, atmosphere density, fluid dynamics of whatever liquid it is (water is not the only possible rain), and collisons between other raindrops.
They will have the proper physics and will react properly when they finally collide with whatever surface, collecting into puddles, clinging onto windows, and even forming streams and rivers.
Chris has deemed it so.

End result: they will use the bullet code. Make the bullets smaller, fire them vertically.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
will i be able to make an ocean planet out of arrakis?
i have a lot of spare time and an old rusty bucket that will do

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bumble He posted:

will i be able to make an ocean planet out of arrakis?
i have a lot of spare time and an old rusty bucket that will do

A bucket alone is useless without its mop partner.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xexH7rze46k

:blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

This is amazing :allears: