Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So they might... actually... do it?
Their target of 1000mph? Maybe.

But bear in mind this shakedown run is basically already as fast as Blue Flame's record, which stood for 13 years, and not much off the Thrust 2 record that stood for 14. The fact that the Thrust SSC record which followed still holds fast after more than two decades should tell you a bit about what they're trying to pull.

Even 76% of their target performance will break a 23-year record and make them the fastest land vehicle.

When your test runs are doing things that you're still the only people to have managed for nearly 4 decades, even if you "fail", you're still doing something pretty special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went and saw Midway today, it's a good movie and worth seeing in the theater.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

slidebite posted:

In the market for a new color printer/scanner. My 10+ year old Canon is about due to be retired anyhow as wireless/network printing and scanning would be kind of nice. Recommendations for something that has semi decent print quality but more importantly can use no-name toner refills without a ton of fuss? Duplex printing would be nice too.

Modus Man posted:

Our Canon MP970 just bit the dust too, it was fantastic for about 10 years and then a piece of poo poo for the last year until it just quit working completely. I’d say we got our money’s worth, and would like to do so again but I haven’t had time to look into a replacement yet, I look forward to seeing what is recommended.

mariooncrack posted:

Brother Laser Printers are the way to go.

This is basically where my parents were about 13 months ago- Against everything i said they bought a Canon inkject MFC. It lasted 13 months and had less than 200 pages through it when the scanner bed poo poo itself and that locked the printer solid- Wouldnt do anything. Cost to repair was more than the cost of the printer and they were one month out of warranty.

They ended up buying a B&W brother multifunction laser since they dont do much colour printing at all, and if they need too they can drive the 10 mins to my place to do it. We've got a brother MFC-9330CDW colour laser MFC 4-5 years old now thats had around 10,700 pages fed through it now and apart from one black toner cartridge that was defective from box (and replaced no questions asked by the retailer) its been rock solid and never given us issues. Its had two paper jams in those 10,700 pages so thats pretty drat good!

Image quality isnt as good with colour as an inkjet, but for anything not photographic its perfectly fine. Genuine toners are expensive, and theres 4 of em cos colour, but we've found that the aftermarket keytek ones are just as good and 2/3 the price of genuine.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good luck to all of y'all ladies who are missing their internal organs as a result of the catastrophically bad design flaw of the female reproductive scheme.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Sorry to hear you guys are going through this but glad to hear it was caught in time without it being crazier.
:stonk:

Glad your wife is okay now. You and your family have been through some epic bullshit lately.

Back to printers: Brother MFC lasers are by far the least bullshit.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Went and saw Midway today, it's a good movie and worth seeing in the theater.

Were the air-to-air engagements portrayed anything like Dunkirk? Because after that film I'm forever ruined on orange CGI fireball plane explosions . In fact, Dunkirk should have been named Battle of Britain and just contained 120 minutes of air combat. Maybe it's from playing way too many WWII flight sims/WWII Online back in the day, but they nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52vVsMdBkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5jYIbJTdA

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

But bear in mind this shakedown run is basically already as fast as Blue Flame's record, which stood for 13 years, and not much off the Thrust 2 record that stood for 14. The fact that the Thrust SSC record which followed still holds fast after more than two decades should tell you a bit about what they're trying to pull.

Even 76% of their target performance will break a 23-year record and make them the fastest land vehicle.

When your test runs are doing things that you're still the only people to have managed for nearly 4 decades, even if you "fail", you're still doing something pretty special.

That was kind of my thinking as well. The shakedowns are rapidly approaching record levels themselves so I'm hoping they can keep improving and pushing further. I've been following the Bloodhound for quite a while and I really hope they pull this off. It'll be quite the event to see someone hit 1000 mph across the ground. I'm so glad they found funding.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So they might... actually... do it?

Next year I'd say there's a good chance. From what I've read they are going pack up now, analyze all the data, do some redesigns and also load up the rocket motor for the actual attempt next year.

InitialDave posted:

All of that is exactly why the current testing is so amazing. It's testing and they are THIS fast .... and still they dont have the rocket motor in use. This is all the single engine

If they do make their speed goal, I seriously doubt anyone else will get close within our lifetimes.

(If you really want insanity tho, look up the Water speed record. No one has gone above 300mph other than Ken Warby and lived and its... 84% fatality rate overall for attempts on it?)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Were the air-to-air engagements portrayed anything like Dunkirk? Because after that film I'm forever ruined on orange CGI fireball plane explosions . In fact, Dunkirk should have been named Battle of Britain and just contained 120 minutes of air combat. Maybe it's from playing way too many WWII flight sims/WWII Online back in the day, but they nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52vVsMdBkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5jYIbJTdA

Yeah those scenes are amazing. Also, thanks for bringing up WWII Online. Now I miss it again. :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
BBC has a good set of shows on right now called "Lost Films of WWII" that's got some amazing "home" camera film of some neat-rear end poo poo you've only ever seen on history footage reel shows and it's well worth watching.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
new car has a pod filter and i have no idea what to do with it at its next service? do i just yeet it into the bin and get another one?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Darchangel posted:

Yes, we (the US) have a very strange relationship with work where we *go* to work more than pretty much any other country, yet still seem to be known for laziness...
Not that going to work equates with actual work being done, necessarily. We definitely have a perception problem with work versus time off/mental health.

Yeah, it is sick. Thankfully I get 27 (one week of which I am required to take) days paid plus holidays. Unions, guys.
I take a straight month every year or two and though this year I'll "only" take 3 one week vacations plus a few random days scattered, so i can take all of May off next year with some leave balance to spare.

Vacations really help my productivity. I'm more productive before and after a long vacation. Plus they give me something to live for and incentive not to quit my job.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

big dong wanter posted:

new car has a pod filter and i have no idea what to do with it at its next service? do i just yeet it into the bin and get another one?

If it's a recognizable brand name, you can probably clean and re-oil it. If it's parts-store brand I'd toss it and find a factory setup somewhere.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Microsoft Japan just tried a 4 day work week with significant results: https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/776163853/microsoft-japan-says-4-day-workweek-boosted-workers-productivity-by-40

quote:

Workers at Microsoft Japan enjoyed an enviable perk this summer: working four days a week, enjoying a three-day weekend — and getting their normal, five-day paycheck. The result, the company says, was a productivity boost of 40%.

Microsoft Japan says it became more efficient in several areas, including lower electricity costs, which fell by 23%. And as its workers took five Fridays off in August, they printed nearly 60 percent fewer pages.

I hope this does something for the U.S. I work for a tiny private company right now and one of the owners is "old school" and thinks things like "pushing your employees to hit artificially tight deadlines just to show you're the boss" are cool. In a meeting once someone talked about extra holidays at a previous job, and he said "boy, wouldn't that be nice". I replied with "you are the boss, you could make it happen" and his reply was "yeah, nice try". The culture here in the States is definitely one of "if we're not working we're missing out on money" which has proven time and time again to be not true in a majority of cases.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
US vacation days continuously baffle me. Here it’s 25 days mandatory vacation for all salaried employees, or 12.5% on top of your wage deposited into a state run system which you can then use for your holidays. Almost every company worth working for has an additional 5 days of vacation.

Unlimited sick days on top of that.

All paid.

gently caress, two weeks of paid vacation barely covers Easter/Christmas/other small holidays.

Regarding the four day work week: it’s going to be interesting to see how it’ll pan out over the next decade or two.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Both four day weeks and 6 hour days have been tried a couple of times in different studies here in Sweden. They always come to the same conclusion, that it makes everyone feel healthier and doesn't impact productivity much if at all, but they all get written of as "too expensive".

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The work week used to be six days here (not sure whether Saturday was a half day, maybe that's how they started.) My parents, born in the early 50s, had school on Saturdays.

I often think about all the bullshit associated with a normal office job. The commute, the useless status meetings, useless loving middle managers with a political agenda... I often think of this xkcd - the amount of actual productive, innovative, revenue generating stuff happens in two hours Tuesday after lunch, the rest is just bullshit.

Edit: :siren: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER FOR AI:SS :siren:

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 17, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress Wrar, glad everything is looking up.

Re: printers, seriously rethink your need for color. I've gone laser printer only for the past nearly 20 years. Two b&w, one color, and now back to b&w again. All Brother or rebranded Brother. Color output really isn't that good, you need 4x the consumables, and there's that much more poo poo to go wrong. Also they're loving huge.

The only times I've needed to print in color have been photos and those are way cheaper and easier to order from Costco or the pharmacy. Lasers don't do photos any justice at all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Well honestly it would be impossible to use real planes to reenact the battle of Midway, I've seen Dunkirk and although those scenes were great, it's not realistic to expect that with a giant air/sea battle like Midway.

That being said i though it was pretty accurate and the CGI was not offensive in any way. Of course there was a giant fireball when the bombs hit the japanese carriers because they were loaded full of planes with bombs and torpedoes getting loaded on them. The movie did a very good job of telling the story from both sides, and the acting was very good. It was not cheesy or over the top like Pearl Harbor at all. My 11 year old son was able to understand the gravity of the situation and came away with a new appreciation for veterans and the men that sacrificed their lives in that battle. All those pilots knew drat well they probably wouldn't be coming back and most of them didn't.

If you are into history and/or WW2 it's a must see in the theater, I'm probably going to see it again before it lets out.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Re: printers, seriously rethink your need for color. I've gone laser printer only for the past nearly 20 years. Two b&w, one color, and now back to b&w again. All Brother or rebranded Brother. Color output really isn't that good, you need 4x the consumables, and there's that much more poo poo to go wrong. Also they're loving huge.

The only times I've needed to print in color have been photos and those are way cheaper and easier to order from Costco or the pharmacy. Lasers don't do photos any justice at all.

I had a HP color laserjet last year that had impressive color output and wasn't that expensive to run, would definitely recommend it. Post-fire I now have a much larger Canon color laser which has lovely color output and I don't know what to do to tune it.

re: USA workers being lazy - sorry I don't know that stereotype, I know most of the rest of the world looks at us as overworked? Is this a Southerner stereotype?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_hour_worked

Considering the size of the US economy compared to any other economy even remotely close in ranking to it, the USA clearly is not lazy.

Using a different view (and set of data) and looking at a x/y plot of avg. GDP per capita versus annual hours worked, we're still creating a ton of output per worker relative to the global economy:

That graph above is dumb as it ought to use the circle size to show the SIZE of the economy. Ranking Luxembourg highly with a large bubble is stupid since their economic output is minuscule.

TLDR we work a lot and don't take enough vacation but still generate a lot of economic output, for better or for worse.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 17, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

slidebite posted:

In the market for a new color printer/scanner. My 10+ year old Canon is about due to be retired anyhow as wireless/network printing and scanning would be kind of nice. Recommendations for something that has semi decent print quality but more importantly can use no-name toner refills without a ton of fuss? Duplex printing would be nice too.

Nthing Brother lasers. They're affordable and generally just work. And even if it "thinks" it's out of toner, there's a Konami code override on most models to force reset the cartridge page counter. I'm still on the 700 page starter cartridge with nearly double that, and it's only now starting to streak noticeably. It's also 32 ppm, but has a quiet mode that cuts that in half. If you're doing duplex printing, I think it drops to 9 or 10, but it's worth it if you're printing stuff like bank statements (basically stuff that's gonna go into a filing cabinet or file folder).

Mine occasionally drops off of the wifi, but turning it off and on gets it back online. Kill-A-Watt shows it pulls a measly 3 watts in sleep mode, and 2 watts when off, so I just leave it on 24/7. It's set to go to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't need color, we definitely do prefer color when printing out documents with graphs and colors in general though. Granted, only 1/4 our documents have any color on them at all, but it's kind of nice. When you say uses 4x the consumables, are you saying that even when printing grey scale they use 4x the consumables or just in general assuming you print color?

Regarding Brother, I read some Amazon reviews talking about firmware updates.. which I can only think are designed to screw you out of using generic refills. Can anyone confirm/deny? Any other brands to recommend that let you buy generic refills as opposed to being handcuffed to the manufacturer? That's one thing I really liked with my old Canon Pixma - I could use cheapo no-name ink and it worked like a champ.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got a brother colour laser because my wife wanted a colour printer. It's been the easiest machine to set up and use ever and I'll never own another inkjet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They don't lock out generic refills. The worst case is you get a generic that hasn't had a new chip put in and the printer thinks it's already been used up, but most Brother models have a way to reset the page counter via the buttons/display on the printer.

And it'll normally only use black toner for grayscale. Double check the options in the driver settings; I know a lot of inkjets will still use some color ink even for "black" unless you specifically select "use black cartridge only", which is annoying as hell.

I've been through 5 or 6 firmware updates on mine. :shrug: They seem to mainly be bug fixes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm coming up on 4 years with my made-by-Brother Dell 525w printer with no issues. Getting a firmware update about once a year. Can't really tell any changes in performance or functionality. A surprising number of bad reviews on it, most are related to high cost of Dell toner, using bad quality non-Dell toner and/or connectivity issues.

I've been using INK E-Sale toner from Amazon, and before that I used toner from a Dallas goon whose family had an ink store. I've yet to have either brand ID'd as non-Dell and it's 1/4 the cost of the OEM toner. The cure to the connectivity issue for me was setting a static IP address. I don't like that it doesn't print when one of the cartridges is out. I do like the print quality, the low operating cost, and the reliability.

I don't know how HP is doing now as far as reliability, but I was going through an HP printer every 2-3 years. Exception being the LaserJet I got as a high school graduation gift in the mid-90s. My parents are still using it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

before that I used toner from a Dallas goon whose family had an ink store.

He's popped into AI a few times, he had an old Ford Courier pickup at one point.

He and his dad are incredibly nice people IRL; I lived about 10 minutes away from them at one point, and my mother still goes to them to get toner. Mom had to retire my old Samsung (pre-HP) laser from ~2011, their shop didn't stock toner for it anymore (they could order it, but it would take awhile, and I want to say the price went up a bit?). I forget what they replaced it with, but they're still going to him for toner. I tend to be pretty loyal once I find a reliable business, so does mom. Stepdad will spend days shopping around to save 50 cents.... hence why when the original transmission went out on his old F-150, he went through 3 rebuilds (1st lasted a week, 2nd a month, 3rd was slipping after a couple of months when he got rid of it). Penny smart, pound foolish. (also, "ATF is never supposed to be changed, but you HAVE to change oil every 2000-2500 miles!"... :argh:)

His prices for toner on my current printer (Brother that uses TN-730/760 cartridges) are on the higher side, especially now that I'm no longer local (shipping, ugh), so I'll check out INK E-Sale. A really common complaint about generic Brother cartridges is they get toner that looks more gray instead of black, especially if you use toner-saving mode.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

bird with big dick posted:

When you say 25 days paid vacation are you talking about paid holidays, or vacation days you can use whenever you want, or both? I notice sometimes it seems Europeans talking about vacation are talking about both combined whereas Americans tend to be talking about just discretionary days when they talk about vacation days.
I'm an European and the thought that holidays would use vacation days never crossed my mind, nor the fact I would have "sick days allowance". Hell, if I get sick during vacation, I can move the vacation and mark it as non-vacation but rather sick days if it lasts over certain amount of time (not sure if it was 3 or 5 days, but you have to go see a doctor and get official statement, provided by the free work healthcare)

Currently I get 4ish (3 weeks in summer season and one in the winter - but my firm is quite lax with when you spend this) weeks paid vacation on top of the normal holidays (religious / traditional holidays, independence day etc), and over time can be compensated as vacation at any point, if it's okay with the manager, however OT hours have to be kept it under 40 hours per month. I did once rack up 160 hours and got told that's not okay, have a free iPhone. The amount of vacation days depends on the length of the working relationship, for first 6 months you won't get any and part timers get shafted US-style.

For sick days I can do 5 days in a row with just notifying the manager that I have the plague, but any longer needs to have official doctors statement. If you rack up certain amount you'll have stern chat with your manager why you're not working normal hours, and see options if you need to go to rehab / therapy / if the work position isn't for you / if you need to switch 4 day work week etc. Again, this is only for the full time workers who have stayed at the same place for 6 months.

There's also option to convert vacation pay (not sure if this is a thing in the US but for vacation you're compensated extra depending on the years you've worked, it's ca. months' pay) for extra vacation days, and I did that. This option is also only for the 6 month+ full time workers

So for this year I guesstimate I'll be away from work for 10 weeks all in all, considering all the holidays, extra vacation time from vacation pay, normal vacation, and flu season sickness.

I think all the Nordic countries have similar laws.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just ordered a Brother HLL3290CDW. Should get it Tues/Weds. Thanks for the input folks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

That graph above is dumb as it ought to use the circle size to show the SIZE of the economy. Ranking Luxembourg highly with a large bubble is stupid since their economic output is minuscule.

It's tough to interpret that chart when most Asian countries are conspicuous in their absence.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
me (the 3 month old new hire) was just forced to enter a tenure based shift bid when the department hours got changed. naturally i got saddled with the dumbest poo poo ever; 3:30p to midnight weds thurs off. I'm loving livid. me (the 3 month old new hire) was also the only person on the team to make bonus so that seems cool and fair. :rolleyes: honestly what loving leadership thinks its ok to put a new hire in a tenure based shift bid?

the work is brain dead simple so im not sure what these chucklefucks find so hard. the only 2 measures were no negative peer reviews (which are thankfully vetted) and one touch resolution on client requests. that's it. you get extra money for being nice to other people in the office and not loving up tickets. yes, lets get the bitch shift to the only guy that managed to not gently caress up those two things in the first 3 loving months.

unreal

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

It's tough to interpret that chart when most Asian countries are conspicuous in their absence.
That, and the fact that GDP contains the mountain of money that Jeff Bezos is printing while underpaying non-benefitted full time workers, for example.

I mean, I guess the point was, people work hard, and the economy produces a lot, but those two points are tenuously at best connected at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They want to settle! Hahaha!

Their rep told ours they 100% had the leak fixed. Well I found the plumber "fixed" the repair. They sent me the invoice from Jan 2017. All they did was replace the main shut off valve for $90. We sent that over to the Previous owners rep and after what I assume was a collective "gently caress" they messaged our realtor back and they don't even want to go to mediation. Looks like everyone on that side realizes they are hosed if we do. So this may have a happy ending!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Was away in Montreal on business last week and got an email that 2 of our 3 senior management/tech people (each 35+ years) eligible for an early retirement buy out are taking the offer effective end of this year. The only reason I wasn't offered was I am not old enough as it was only offered for 55 year olds+.

So what does this mean? Probably better than 50% chance I'm going to be tapped to be the new general manager for our location of 17 people. Considering I was the manager before we were bought out 10 years ago and have the experience (and working on a management degree), I don't want to say I'm an obvious choice but probably not a long shot.

If this comes to pass, going to be tough. I'll need to promote/hire at least 2 new people to fill my position and the other senior technical persons vacancy, plus back-fill their positions assuming I promote from within, plus year end budgeting and planning. All by new years.

Good thing I'm not drinking much anymore because this could be quite a ride.

Rhyno posted:

They want to settle! Hahaha!

Their rep told ours they 100% had the leak fixed. Well I found the plumber "fixed" the repair. They sent me the invoice from Jan 2017. All they did was replace the main shut off valve for $90. We sent that over to the Previous owners rep and after what I assume was a collective "gently caress" they messaged our realtor back and they don't even want to go to mediation. Looks like everyone on that side realizes they are hosed if we do. So this may have a happy ending!
Hear that? That's the chickens coming home to roost. Good job. Don't be too greedy but don't be out any more than you have to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We want $3600. That covers the bare minimum of what we've spent. If they refused we were going to sue for $10K and be happy when the judge awarded half that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Backpack full of 10TB drives. Latency is loving terrible but throughput huge

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Minor gripe compared to the serious ones in here, but I have to take my truck into the desert (complete with lovely rod knock) to pull my brother's truck out of the sand. If the motor wasn't totally hosed before, it will be after this :argh:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well honestly it would be impossible to use real planes to reenact the battle of Midway, I've seen Dunkirk and although those scenes were great, it's not realistic to expect that with a giant air/sea battle like Midway.

That being said i though it was pretty accurate and the CGI was not offensive in any way. Of course there was a giant fireball when the bombs hit the japanese carriers because they were loaded full of planes with bombs and torpedoes getting loaded on them. The movie did a very good job of telling the story from both sides, and the acting was very good. It was not cheesy or over the top like Pearl Harbor at all. My 11 year old son was able to understand the gravity of the situation and came away with a new appreciation for veterans and the men that sacrificed their lives in that battle. All those pilots knew drat well they probably wouldn't be coming back and most of them didn't.

If you are into history and/or WW2 it's a must see in the theater, I'm probably going to see it again before it lets out.

Cool, that's good to know, will try to catch it in theaters. Definitely looks like the kind of film that you want a theater sound system for.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah those scenes are amazing. Also, thanks for bringing up WWII Online. Now I miss it again. :(

I know, me too. I still get "Welcome back soldier" promotional emails so it's definitely still kicking which is kind of surprising. I don't have the time/attention span for it anymore but I definitely played the hell out of it a long time ago. There was just something about organizing a bomber group with fighters and everything and then flying 45 IRL minutes before suddenly making contact and having to fight like hell trying to even get your bombs off. Did you play with a squad? I played allies with the ANZACs and made a couple friends I still keep in touch with to this day. Being 19 years old and running ops at 4AM with a bunch of extremely drunk 30-40 year old Australians was a mind-expanding experience hahaha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woke up to the news that we are getting a check for $3500 on Tuesday.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Edit: :siren: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER FOR AI:SS :siren:

Thank you for bringing this up!

I’m going to extend the deadline to Wednesday day, as I’m in the middle of moving house and haven’t pushed this amazing event enough.

So please, if you’re on the fence, or just got busy and forgot:

:siren:Register for AI:SS :siren:

I’m phone posting, can someone please link the thread below!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm friends with some very devote people and I must say, watching them buy into Kanye West's bullshit is incredibly amusing.