Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss Wildstar, I wish that game was still going. I really enjoyed leveling up characters, and filling up my instanced plot of land with stuff, and I actually played that game from launch up until the end. It had the best decorating and housing of any MMORPG, besides Everquest 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I never played Wildstar but lots of people seemed to love it up to the endgame being a disaster of bad ideas

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is what essentially killed the game according to a lot of players, this is what they all cite as the reason for why they quit playing:

Step 1 - Gathering 150 Elder Gems
Step 2 - Killing Guardian Pyralos
Step 3 - Rep Grind
Step 4 - The Great Datacube Heist
Step 5 - Silver Adventures
Step 6 - Farside's Mech Battle Extravaganza!
Step 7 - Silver Dungeons
Step 8 - Kill Snail Boss in Malgrave
Step 9 - Elemental Form Quest
Step 10 - World Boss Tour
Step 11 - Kel'voreth Bonus boss

This is the attunement guide https://www.gameskinny.com/rps8z/wildstar-raid-attunement-guide-genetic-archives for entering the first raid for Wildstar. I think Carbine Studios eventually dialed back, or outright removed this grind, but the damage was already done and no new end game content was ever added.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
All I know is like months after release nobody had cleared the raid and when people actually killed like the 3rd boss the devs decided they were progressing too fast and made it harder??

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Correct, the devs had a vision of end game that did not go over well with what players wanted. So many people quit out of frustration and it caused a lot of people to avoid the game. I know there are attempts to create private servers for Wildstar, but I doubt the game will come back, there is just not enough interest in it. NCSoft I think owns the rights to the game but they have zero desire to resurrect it and likely never will.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

good, let it be buried forever as a testament to horrible decisions

...gaming companies learn from the mistakes of the past right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It didn't help that Wildstar had a very polarizing art direction either. I thought it looked like cartoon vomit.

No I never played it but I did enjoy the threads both here and on reddit with people desperately trying to pump it up and attract new players.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I loved reading wildstar horror stories as they tried to comprehend the grind to unlock the actual grind.

Also this sums up wildstar well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I only got into the trial well after the poo poo hit the fan with Wildstar and the player base started to hemorrhage. I remember that the base gameplay feeling kinda fun early on, but I had also heard that by the Endgame zones the general world mobs were a slog of stun mechanics that made getting anywhere a hassle.

I also found it really disappointing that it was a space frontier setting but you were stuck on one planet. I’m not expecting Star Wars: Galaxy or anything but it struck me as odd that they’re going for a Galactic Empire vs. Ragtag Rebellion theme but on only one planet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DancingShade posted:

It didn't help that Wildstar had a very polarizing art direction either. I thought it looked like cartoon vomit.

same even if it had been the best mmo ever made i woulda skipped it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was fine with the aesthetic and thought a lot of the game looked really fun but somehow I bounced off it before I even hit level 20. Something about the way it felt to play just didn't click with me at all.

Wildstar had some really neat ideas. The housing looked fantastic. I liked the whole "paths" system that could give you different little side objectives based on what you were interested in (exploration, lore, combat, etc.), though I didn't play enough to know if that actually panned out. It was an MMO with a double-jump and that's great. It had some interesting classes and the very, very good idea to make sure every class had both a DPS role and a healer or tank role. I'm also generally a fan of "skill loadout" build systems, something Wildstar has in common with Guild Wars (1 and 2, though 1 was obviously a lot more flexible) and Secret World.

I guess it's fine that it didn't click with me because I absolutely would've bounced off the endgame hard. If someone ever gets a private server up and running I'd be excited to go screw around ingame, though I imagine anyone who loved the game enough to put up a private server wouldn't be interested in re-tuning endgame stuff to be less bullshit.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
One thing Wildstar completely botched was sound design, the aesthetic was all about these over the top characters with over the top weapons doing over the top poo poo, but the sound design was all generic bonks and smacks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I kept hearing about wildstar housing. Always thought if the rest of the game is so bad that playing with the barbie house is the best bit that's pretty damning.

I also remember the "dimension" housing in trion's rift. Did absolutely nothing for actual content or gameplay.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im a dipshit, i picked up archeage unchained

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

im a dipshit, i picked up archeage unchained

There is only one good reason to do that and because I remember last time I salute you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Let me tell you guys about a game. Probably has alexander delarges seal of approval.

Also it is not a mmo, maybe it is, whatever.

In the line of other games such as tiger knight and conquerors blade, kingdom under fire II is coming to PC release.

But wait, what is this game?

A game that has been in development hell since 2008 and during one beta, was so full of gashapon mechanics it makes me smile. You pick a class and then 3 units to join you in battle for a semi rts / dyntasty warriors game.

If you wanted to level up said unit, sure, ok, level up your cav. But you want it to go from 1 star to 2 start? Donate it and get a random unit back. Congrats, your 1 star cav turned into 2 star muskets.

This may still be in and may not be in. Who knows!

But what I do know is 100 dollar preorders.

This is the closest you are getting to a mmo. I am sorry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d08NhEr50sw&t=14m37s

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I've done it. I've finally played all the good games. Everywhere I look, I have played every good game. Not just mmos, singleplayer games too. I tire of them all. My steam explore queue tells me I've looked at over 6000 games. Why are there no more good games for me to play. Maybe starbase will be good idk

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Come play dead game RIFT with me. Some how the goon bank is still full. With their server merging stuff you actually see people running around the same areas as you are questing.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The people who did Black Desert are going to announce three MMOs this month, all they've shown so far is concept art but this particular one is too sweet not to share

I want to make friends with dog prince and pangolin knight and boxing bear

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/07/counter-strikes-creator-will-reveal-mmo-shooter-plan-8-next-week/

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That looks maplestory as gently caress

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bandaid.friend posted:

The people who did Black Desert are going to announce three MMOs this month, all they've shown so far is concept art but this particular one is too sweet not to share

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/07/counter-strikes-creator-will-reveal-mmo-shooter-plan-8-next-week/

This looks like a mix of Maplestory and Pokemon. I am 100% onboard with this.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i'm the pangolin

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bandaid.friend posted:

hell yeah

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This Citadel game keeps showing up in Steam. Any goons have opinions about it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LLSix posted:

I am going to get back to you on this one.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

LLSix posted:

I haven't played the latest build but it was a buggy unfinished mess last year with no signs of improving over time and looking over comments elsewhere it seems like not much may have changed and it's just removing the early access status.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

This looks like a mix of Maplestory and Pokemon. I am 100% onboard with this.

eonwe posted:

hell yeah

:allbuttons:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

cmon eonwe says "hell yeah" to everything

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The dokev trailer is out

nothing really great just a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtcQl41oFQI

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Third World Reagan posted:

The dokev trailer is out

nothing really great just a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtcQl41oFQI

I have no interest in a Pokemon game but this trailer is heckin' cute.

Pearl Abyss released a few other trailers today. One for a MMOFPS from the guy who made Counter-Strike and apparently hasn't made a good game since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQTlb-tsEo

And one for a Game of Thrones MMO something that started out as a Black Desert spin-off and is now its own thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNvaWXijoO4

No gameplay videos and zero real information on either of them. The answer to the OP is still no.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's really interesting how the MMO genre died

From its corpse a thousand bad ideas entered into mainstream gaming. Like FPS games having levels and every drat game seemingly including some sort of carrot on a stick GAMES AS SERVICE bullshit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It's really interesting how the MMO genre died

From its corpse a thousand bad ideas entered into mainstream gaming. Like FPS games having levels and every drat game seemingly including some sort of carrot on a stick GAMES AS SERVICE bullshit

FPS games having levels didn't come from MMOs, it came from normal RPGs, which is where MMOs got it.

System Shock 1 predates Everquest or Ultima Online.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I miss Ragnarok Online

EssenceRO was the last time when it was the MMO I wanted, I think

Every private server now seems to be focused on emulating kRO as hard as possible and ignoring any other RO's additions. The server I was playing on had jRO and other RO items, and they opened a kRO pure server and almost the entire player base moved over to it. The jRO items are fun as hell minus needing +11 on some of them to have them start working

Now kRO has rolled out a feature to make it so all naturally spawning MVPs have a green aura around them that reduces all damage taken by 90%, on top of some pretty weird skill additions like Mistress being able to perform Full Strip. It's supposed to make it so MVPs can't be farmed as easily, but it's just made it so the people who have been farming them can continue to farm them without interruption.

i'd play eternal love, but I don't want to play 1x RO, and the gacha has me wary

ffxiv is decent but i feel so horribly slow in the beginning compared to zipping around with fly wings

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Danith posted:

Come play dead game RIFT with me. Some how the goon bank is still full. With their server merging stuff you actually see people running around the same areas as you are questing.

whats the deal with rift, like whats its thing? what makes it different than all the other wow killers on life support?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Among other things, Rift's take on the WoW Transmog system is absolutely great, you can pretty much jam any appearance onto any armor type so your harbinger mage can rock full plate if you want

They also have content specifically designed for you to duo with your buddy and you can level through "Instant Adventures" which just shits you into the world somewhere with random quest objectives that scale to the size of your randomly-assigned raid. The endgame is kind of a mess and good luck finding up-to-date information on talent builds though, but if you can navigate the gigantic talent trees and super grindy gear progression here's some of the perks:

-Really fun tanks with a lot of mob control (most of the tanks have WoW style death grips / aoe grip and spammable aggro moves so you have a ton of control over mobs)
-Every class can be any role, playing a rogue but you need to heal? be a rogue healer! same with warrior, mage tanks, mage melee, warrior ranged, holy poo poo look at this flexibility
-Rogues can spec Bard and jam out on a lute, or if you're terrible at video games like I am you can go cleric and play the cleric version of bard and dump shields on everyone while shooting megaman lasers for middling dps
-The games namesake, planar rifts, are these tears in reality that show up in every non-city zone where you go up to this worbly tear in the fabric of spacetime and rip it open with your magic hands and then a mini-gauntlet-event pops out, sometimes with a little story to go with it, then loot flies out of the now-closing rift and bonks you in the head. Rifts scale from easy-solo to raid, there are also ones specifically for crafting materials
-Chloromancers, the best healing class for lovely healers like me, is a mage specialization where you throw green blobs at the enemy and every time you hit the guy it heals someone and you can switch from big-rear end-aoe-heals to focused healing by applying an instant cast buff (don't know how they stack up to the other heals in modern Rift though tbh)
-Player models that look like a 12 year old made them
-Player Housing is absolutely bonkers, you buy a pocket dimension and fill it with jumping puzzles or whatever but it's by far the most freedom in player housing that I've ever seen
-Completely dead economy
-Cash shop with obscenely expensive useful-gear that nobody in their right mind would buy, balanced out by barrels upon barrels of relatively cheap vanity gear that was, from what I can tell, just another avenue for getting old raid weapon graphics
-Not sure about modern Rift but last time I played every class had at least one completely braindead 1-or-2-button dps spec and also at least one obscenely durable solo spec. I played an elementalist mage that had something like 2 buttons, a dot and a 30 page long macro that just shat nukes all over everything and it actually did respectable dps, perfect for when I was too drunk to shitpost but not too drunk to waddle between mobs throwing earth missiles at them while my pet did pet things
-Last but most important is the melee mage spec, the Harbinger, is a dollar-store Jedi. You get these self buffs that replace your weapon with an ethereal energy weapon, there's a few to choose from and they all have different niches (sword/scythe is single target but scythe gives a killshot buff, axe is aoe) and there's a neat little animation where you swap them out when you go from scythe to axe for maximum aoe carnage. You also get the most satisfying charge animation ever where you launch your frail body into the enemy while swinging your sword like a crazed anime goon, and your big dps cooldown turns you into a spinning blade-armed robot

poo poo, making this post makes me want to reinstall Rift, does the endgame suck less now? I know 100% that none of my old friends still play and the community was absolutely bizarre (even compared to my usual stomping grounds of EverQuest, which is basically a repository for untreated mental illness)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rift was good for a little bit but then it only ever got worse.

And I think nowadays there's like 1000 players total.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm honestly surprised it has any players left

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

trip report

having fun in kingdom under fire 2

tutorial is 10 levels

18 it starts to get good

25 it is amazing

no idea how bad max level is (30)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Goat posted:

I miss Ragnarok Online

Big :same:, except last time I *really* liked RO was before they did the whole "get to 99, then start at level 1 again" bullshit. I played quite a lot of 3rd class RO but it lost a lot of its charm in that transition, imo.

I get my top-down farm-grind level-stupid-mage-builds fix from path of exile these days, and it's honestly amazing, but without meeting other anime sprites in the maps it's just not the same.