Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
They can also grab and drag you into the lava with them if you use that trick at the one part :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What are some other games where you can die due to the corpse of the boss falling on you, or its death-flails or what-have-you? Now I'd want to differentiate between mindless death-flails/collapsing and a directed final 'gently caress you' attack.

I just finished Tomb Raider Chronicles, and the statue enemies in the Roman levels do this. Caught me by surprise as I think every other enemy in the classic series clips through you on death.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is the most ludicrously fine-tuned skinner box I've ever experienced. It's astonishingly difficult to resist the urge to pick the game up for a quick session. The game turns doing squats into an urge.

It really gets me that they struck a perfect balance with a very basic rpg system that would be boring anywhere else, and exercises that I would struggle to get myself to do to make a greater whole. Also the game is just really charming, someone was really dedicated to making this game and i'm really glad they were.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is the most ludicrously fine-tuned skinner box I've ever experienced. It's astonishingly difficult to resist the urge to pick the game up for a quick session. The game turns doing squats into an urge.
I appreciate the way they check in at the beginning to see if you want to adjust your difficulty level. If you raise it (at least), the game checks in again after your play session to see how it went, if it was too hard, if you want to change it back. I also like that it recommends certain stretches based on what exercises you've focused on that day. I'm feeling decently sore and hitting good pulse targets, and as you say, the game is hard not to come back to on a regular basis.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's not a monster falling on you, but I did nearly kill myself with a tree the other day in Breath of the Wild, by knocking it over on myself. I was highly amused at my stupidity.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Not exactly the same thing but the discussion of getting squished by monster corpses reminded me that in Destiny 2 there’s an early area where enemies will spawn in on landing pods that crash down to earth from orbit and it’s entirely possible to have a pod land on top of you for an instant kill, which made me laugh my rear end off when it first happened.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Destiny 2 also has a good one in the fight with Xol, a giant worm god thing, he topples over when killed and it's traditional for every member of the team to position themselves just right to get squashed by him

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like when games have interesting UI placement, like Senua's Sacrifice has a way of showing you which lore stone things you've found (small pillars that tell you norse mythology). When you focus on one, this circle appears, roughtly hewn by me in MS Paint:

This is actually telling you how many lore items are in each area and which ones you've got. The segments in the circle that are separated by bars are representative of each area in the game, and each rune in said segment is a lore marker. The one's you've found light up as you go through the game, so you know not only which ones you've missed, but what order they appear in so you can see at a glance that you have missed, like, the third and 5th lore markers in the third level. It took me til more than halfway through the game to realise what the circle even was, I didn't see the runes lighting up until late in the game. I thought it was just a visual effect for focusing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
With Ring Fit Adventure, is the leg strap at all prone to loosening/falling down while exercising? I've seen so much good word of mouth about it that I'm tempted to get it, but I'm still leery about games that require you to strap a controller to yourself after trying EA Active years ago.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Dude's got some tight glutes, I can definitely see this game awakening something in unsuspecting players

All that delivering is good for your buns and thighs

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Not exactly the same thing but the discussion of getting squished by monster corpses reminded me that in Destiny 2 there’s an early area where enemies will spawn in on landing pods that crash down to earth from orbit and it’s entirely possible to have a pod land on top of you for an instant kill, which made me laugh my rear end off when it first happened.

Hah, yeah, there's also some random quest events where things like that can happen. Getting squished by a landing spider tank in that station (on Titan I think?) was a treat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hah, yeah, there's also some random quest events where things like that can happen. Getting squished by a landing spider tank in that station (on Titan I think?) was a treat.

I still think about this and laugh, years later

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

With Ring Fit Adventure, is the leg strap at all prone to loosening/falling down while exercising? I've seen so much good word of mouth about it that I'm tempted to get it, but I'm still leery about games that require you to strap a controller to yourself after trying EA Active years ago.

It slips on me if I'm wearing looser pants. If I'm in leggings or make sure the strap is extra tight it's completely fine. Granted, I'm only playing in 10-20 minute chunks at a time though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zoig posted:

It really gets me that they struck a perfect balance with a very basic rpg system that would be boring anywhere else, and exercises that I would struggle to get myself to do to make a greater whole. Also the game is just really charming, someone was really dedicated to making this game and i'm really glad they were.

Yeah, it hits a really nice balance between being self-aware but still having fun with its premise. I'm having a surprising amount of fun chasing the Beef Dragon across the land before it can amass too many gains. :haw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it hits a really nice balance between being self-aware but still having fun with its premise. I'm having a surprising amount of fun chasing the Beef Dragon across the land before it can amass too many gains. :haw:

It's also so drat supportive. I'm super out of shape and the squats kill me but the fact that Ring just never stops making it sound like I'm a goddamn world champ feels great

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wondering who'll be the first player to get really buff from playing Ring Fit

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1193574173567791104

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Wondering who'll be the first player to get really buff from playing Ring Fit

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1193574173567791104
One of the tips of the day reminds you that it's almost impossible to get jacked ("too muscular") with the game's brand of exercise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hirayuki posted:

One of the tips of the day reminds you that it's almost impossible to get jacked ("too muscular") with the game's brand of exercise.

That just means none of their testers did it hard enough

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've never been more excited to see speedruns of a game than I have to see a full Ring Fit Adventure speedrun.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

That just means none of their testers did it hard enough
Note it did say "almost".

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Re death by falling monsters: Hotline Miami’s final boss shoots himself in the head before you can move in to kill him, and if you approach him from the wrong way the bullet will hit you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Re death by falling monsters: Hotline Miami’s final boss shoots himself in the head before you can move in to kill him, and if you approach him from the wrong way the bullet will hit you.

Oh, yeah! I saw someone stream it some time ago. A real good and unique example of this.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I admit I really am interested in hearing what people have to say about Ring Fit. I really liked the concept of Wii Fit, and I played regularly on my roommate's Wii for maybe a month and a half. And I could see a slow, regular improvement in what I was able to do, and I was feeling good about my progress, and having fun.

But I wasn't losing weight. I could see myself progress so that was okay, and my goal was more "be more active" than "lose weight, specifically," but then one day I turned it on and the game noted that I wasn't losing weight, would I like some advice on eating healthy?

I never played again. Suddenly I felt so goddamn bad about my progress I couldn't face logging in to do my weigh-in again.

I don't have a Switch at present, but I'm intrigued to see if Ring Fit has improved on this aspect of things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RoboRodent posted:

I admit I really am interested in hearing what people have to say about Ring Fit. I really liked the concept of Wii Fit, and I played regularly on my roommate's Wii for maybe a month and a half. And I could see a slow, regular improvement in what I was able to do, and I was feeling good about my progress, and having fun.

But I wasn't losing weight. I could see myself progress so that was okay, and my goal was more "be more active" than "lose weight, specifically," but then one day I turned it on and the game noted that I wasn't losing weight, would I like some advice on eating healthy?

I never played again. Suddenly I felt so goddamn bad about my progress I couldn't face logging in to do my weigh-in again.

I don't have a Switch at present, but I'm intrigued to see if Ring Fit has improved on this aspect of things.

It never weighs you so there's that

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RoboRodent posted:

Losing weight is like 90% diet but it’s also not nearly as important as just staying active for your overall health

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, muscle is 5 times as dense as fat, so it is possible to make progress and not actually see a weight change, numbers wise.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't worry about weight. Eat less and do more. Do that for several months and you'll be healthier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think RoboRodent's point is that Wii Fit had a focus on losing weight that it didn't let you opt out of if that wasn't your personal goal, which is true, there's no way to avoid the BMI/weight weigh-in. The game treats not losing weight as failure. Would have been nice if you could tell the game you weren't playing it to lose weight and just skip all that.

Ring Fit seems to be better about not pushing specific types of fitness goals on you from my outside observation, don't have a Switch to play it on myself.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 17, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

As mentioned, it doesn't track weight in the first place, only asks you once at the beginning to calculate approximate energy usage. Also, the game is incredibly positive and encouraging in tone. If you amp up the difficulty it's like "hell yeah, look at you stepping things up!", but if it turns out that was a bit too much and you go back, it'll also be like "good call, don't overexert yourself!". It'll check your pulse after each set and suggest a break if it looks like you're near the end of your rope. Generally there's a huge focus on taking things at your own pace and not loving yourself up by going too hard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Warsat kills on Mars (and the Moon now) are a time honoured tradition.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah all ring fit cares about is you playing the game and doing physical activity, it also only tracks time spent actually doing exercise so it gives you a accurate idea of how much time you spent putting in effort. That being said, the game is very positive about exercise and tends to recommend breaks usually right around when i get tired enough to need one and the guy who gives you advice transitions between energetic hype man and calm helpful advising perfectly. The game does tell you to say, eat healthy as well, but its more as a side thing.

It just wants you to come back almost daily, and it hasn't given me poo poo for not playing for a day or 2 because I was aching more than usual.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it seems really intelligently designed when it comes to stuff like predicting when you will be tired based on your stats. It takes into account your previous attempts/scores at challenges too which is cool. Was watching a streamer playing it and he expected the game to rib him about being lazy but it didn't.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Christmas posted:

I remembered one fun type: It may happen at multiple points during Mother 3, but early on in the game a boss self-destructs at the end of the battle for a boatload of damage on your party. The trick is that your HP isn't depleted instantly, but rather it counts down really quick like a scoreboard as you get the drops, exp or whatever, so you have to mash the A button to skip past that as quickly as you can before your health gets to 0 and you die.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I think RoboRodent's point is that Wii Fit had a focus on losing weight that it didn't let you opt out of if that wasn't your personal goal, which is true, there's no way to avoid the BMI/weight weigh-in. The game treats not losing weight as failure. Would have been nice if you could tell the game you weren't playing it to lose weight and just skip all that.

Yes, thank you. I wasn't actually looking at getting weight loss advice from this thread, christ.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh, I didn't think there'd be an example from a turn-based jrpg of all genres! I consider deathplosions kind of a gray area here, I guess in this case it depends on if it blows itself up on purpose or if it's like say a robot that "dies" because you hit its core which explodes violently etc' etc'. Either way, it's a rad way to play with the game mechanics!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The rolling HP counter was in Earthbound (Mother 2) as well, and probably in the first game, too. It definitely saved my rear end a few times.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't worry about weight. Eat less and do more. Do that for several months and you'll be healthier.

The most common thing making people unable to lose weight/keep gaining weight is liquid calories. Soda, beer, and calorie dense condiments are real killers. Sugary things taste delicious of course but it's incredibly easy to chug hundreds of extra calories every day without realizing. We also associate things with certain kinds of events or just buy the soda with the dinner because I mean hey it comes with it and it's a value combo, right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, muscle is 5 times as dense as fat, so it is possible to make progress and not actually see a weight change, numbers wise.

Shenanigans with my car required me to buy a bike and bike to work, 4 miles a day for 5 days a week. And I gained weight on the scale :mad:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One more thing I'm liking about Fallen Order is when the game starts mixing in the imperial troops and the various creatures you fight, neither of whom are friendly to one another. So sometimes you'll peek into the room ahead and you can watch a battle between a squad of troopers and a big ogre or something, it's usually unscripted and pretty fun to watch how the battles play out before you step in (not to mention letting some of the Empire's finest most expendable wear down the tougher creatures a bit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hirayuki posted:

The rolling HP counter was in Earthbound (Mother 2) as well, and probably in the first game, too. It definitely saved my rear end a few times.

The rolling HP counter's more than just a quirk, too, they design around it. They introduce the concept to you with NPCs before throwing the first self-destructing enemies at you. Those things deal somewhere near triple what your max HP would be at the time when they explode on death, so the actual strategy is always to pick them off last.