Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The 2k18 Universe Mode videos are really good. Definitely watch the WrestleMania video for David Arquette vs. The Undetaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was confused for quite a while when watching old Bryan and Vinny videos because I confused David Arquette with David Schwimmer.

I still think of David Schwimmer instead, really.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pollyanna posted:

I was confused for quite a while when watching old Bryan and Vinny videos because I confused David Arquette with David Schwimmer.

I still think of David Schwimmer instead, really.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have links handy to some of newLEGACYinc's best stuff? I only started watching recently, like the highlights from this years Royalest Rumble and the 2k20 storyline mode, and I enjoy them.

In addition to everything else already mentioned, I have special fondness for the highlights of the Mania 35 simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRgXt0nfmo

The tag title clusterfuck match at 17min in has an all time great ref bump

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I love the Whose Gimmick Is It Anyway videos.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PublicOpinion posted:

I love the Whose Gimmick Is It Anyway videos.

Andre the 3000 always gets me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I feel frustrated, I wanna play a cool wrestling management game but I am not really interested in real life rosters (because I haven't kept up with actual wrestling in about two decades) and would rather play with fictional wrestlemans (especially ones I can make up myself). FPWW's management mode isn't crunchy enough and TEW I feel like I should just wait for 2020. I looked at that Journey of Wrestling thing briefly but I bounced off the UI and it felt confusingly presented and I couldn't find any decent beginner info.

I just want a decent Wrestlemans Tycoon. :(

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 16, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you are bothered by it then it's probably worth it to just get the last tew even if a new one comes out in 3-6 months. But i don't know. I don't know anything and I can't save my money. I'm going to die because i have medical needs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This was my first experience with 2K20.

Pick Rock vs Austin in the classic Raw arena. The blacks are all grainy as gently caress. I dominate most of the match, but Rock puts me in an abdominal stretch and taps me out because I can’t figure out the mini game fast enough.

I don’t know what I expected.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah for whatever reason they just put a haze/grain filter in for matches prior to 2000 and increase the graininess the further back you go rather than putting any kind of CRT effect or anything.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

these and the fire pro brawl 4 alls are my faves

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yeah for whatever reason they just put a haze/grain filter in for matches prior to 2000 and increase the graininess the further back you go rather than putting any kind of CRT effect or anything.
"Film grain means it looks old, right?" -someone at 2K, probably

As for CRT filters, even those who actually make retro compilations and mini consoles and such usually get them horribly wrong, so I can't even imagine what 2K's attempt would look like.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 17, 2019

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

that isn't one of the multiple times people have been knocked out by getting a pin kicked out of. (It's still very good)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does anyone have links handy to some of newLEGACYinc's best stuff? I only started watching recently, like the highlights from this years Royalest Rumble and the 2k20 storyline mode, and I enjoy them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

karmicknight posted:

that isn't one of the multiple times people have been knocked out by getting a pin kicked out of. (It's still very good)

yeah, the finish to Ryback/Abyss is all time great

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Good lord. That’s intentional? I thought something was messed up in the game. Why the hell would anyone want that?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If I were to hypothetically pick up a current gen WWE game with the sole plan of loading a bunch of CAWs if non-WWE guys on it, which one makes the most sense for this? I already have Fire Pro and am really just wanting trying something a little more photorealistic out.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

If I were to hypothetically pick up a current gen WWE game with the sole plan of loading a bunch of CAWs if non-WWE guys on it, which one makes the most sense for this? I already have Fire Pro and am really just wanting trying something a little more photorealistic out.

It's probably 2k19 but 2K shuts off the servers after 2 years or thereabouts

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

It's probably 2k19 but 2K shuts off the servers after 2 years or thereabouts

It's at the end of May every year so a year and a half. So 2k19 will be shutdown May 31, 2020 and 2k20 will be shutdown May 31, 2021.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 18, 2019

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

2k19 caw mode is generally very good and you can steal other people's face morphing/attires too. The wrestling is, uh, well it's familiar if you played one of these five years ago

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

In lieu of buying 2K20 I've just been revisiting 2K19 and if you take the time to make the right AI tweaks it's more than workable. I'm fine with holding onto this as the last good WWE game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

but then how will you play the new story mode and find out that all wrestling fans are idiots who should be killed? Its an important part of the experience

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

but then how will you play the new story mode and find out that all wrestling fans are idiots who should be killed? Its an important part of the experience

New Legacy Inc needs to continue their playthrough. I must find out what happens to "Lunchbawx" Louis Chador and Mrs. Helena Sal

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

flashy_mcflash posted:

In lieu of buying 2K20 I've just been revisiting 2K19 and if you take the time to make the right AI tweaks it's more than workable. I'm fine with holding onto this as the last good WWE game.

Look, I don't want to be the old guy with the opinion that an old game is better than a newer game. But the sad truth is these games stopped being good (as in the gameplay is fun on its own) after Here Comes The Pain. And even that is dated now. Cases could be made for some of the SvR games based on your sensibilities but the first 'modern' (at this point also dated) WWE game I played after a hiatus was WWE '13. And it sucked.
WWE 2k14 was a little better but I didn't really like it. I ran an e-fed in it which is the main reason I even got it after WWE '13 (which I also got for e-fedding)
But from here it's all downhill. People complain about the same things every year. Too many dumb minigames for tiny things, Story Creator is gone, leaning too heavily into the simulation aspect, online sucks, GM Mode isn't in, Season Mode is virtually unchanged, GM Mode isn't in, Story/Career mode is undesirable in some fashion butit varies in which exact way it's bad every year, and come on! I know the creation suite is kind of bloated at this point but did you really have to take away the ability to make custom moves? Do you remember GM Mode?

I realize that even though I skipped so many of these games I'm still mad about things being cut, some of these things I never had because I skipped so many of these games.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 18, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

All the gimmick matches in the modern gen are awful to play with the AI, and the game as a whole is a slow drag to play with other people. It's been a bad game forever.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

GM Mode would have been just as low effort and vanilla as Universe if they put it in. There might be studios that are able to do justice to 200 different playable characters, make them feel fun and unique, ten different game modes, make them full and fleshed out, but it's not Yukes and it's definitely not these guys. Especially when the whole thing is just built on top of a PS2 game.

I'm sure that in some of these yearly releases they've said, well gently caress man, we can't do anything more with this engine. When the AI isn't in a singles match (or maybe something like multi-man elimination) it's, like, clueless. The guys at the top probably want us to build something like FUT with the online but we can't, because the attributes don't really matter and any tiny amount of lag makes the R2 Button Pressing simulator cosmically miserable. We can't fix the gameplay in any meaningful sense. Add another 20 guys from NXT, another 10 "legends" and a "showcase mode," whatever that is. And for the gameplay, throw another "system" on top - OMG moments, rest holds, Right Buttock Durability attribute, whatever. So you've bloated the game and you need to make sure most of that extra stuff is in there next year too.

I wish they could have made Universe not suck. And I'd totally love anything with the AI that didn't make it feel like fighting the same guy 100 times. Even just like 5-10 different basic "types" where one flies across the ring and does spots, one uses strikes more often, one works a limb and uses the rest holds or whatever else they put in there to slow matches down. Either that was never a priority or it was impossible. But even though it's so easy to daydream "what if these games, But Good," I still like singles matches with the AI in 2K19, at least with reversal limits off and some slider wrangling like the other guy said. I bitched about their kludgy "systems" before but I actually do like the payback system, whenever they added that. And obviously the create modes are great. So you have 10-20% of a decent game, don't even think about the rest of it.

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Just remember that there is a non-0% chance that the devs went into crunch time to put this turgid 'thing' out on time.
They don't have time to improve anything because it probably takes more time than what their release schedule requires.
And if it stays profitable among the stans why go the extra mile for this franchise or this company?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Didn’t they do things like completely change the controls though?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Do you by chance have those tweaks written out? I remember there being a list years ago that worked across like 3 or 4 years games that was all tweaks to the AI to make it actually decent.

And having one for 2K19 would be nice because man that game is sorta tedious to actually play.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Dacap posted:

Yeah they moved finisher from L1 or whatever to square plus triangle.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I can only imagine the project management meetings where they blocked out things they wanted to do into “requirements / nice to have, based on publisher mandate” and “possible / impossible, based on resources and time” and it just being a marathon crawl through broken glass every year, with the same big items stuck in “nice to have-impossible” in perpetuity.

I don’t expect things to get any better with internal 2K development in any discernible way, but the best you could say about Yukes is that they had in enthusiasm what they lacked in competency. Sometimes they would try and fail for novel things like Super Boss modes with Cena or Taker, and at least one person realized the common dream of turning their childhood CAWs into recurring characters.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Dacap posted:

Yeah they made them more complicated

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t expect things to get any better with internal 2K development in any discernible way, but the best you could say about Yukes is that they had in enthusiasm what they lacked in competency. Sometimes they would try and fail for novel things like Super Boss modes with Cena or Taker, and at least one person realized the common dream of turning their childhood CAWs into recurring characters.

https://twitter.com/JustinLeeper_yo/status/1194936549005131776

Short summary of the guy's video is that he believes 2k saw a chance to drop Yukes from development, and had an all-internal team trying to learn how to make these games on their own based on what may have even been the Switch version of 2k18, while simultaneously putting out 2k19 as normal with Yukes' help. Then with Yukes gone, this year's game is a mess with a bunch of missing features because it's actually just 2k18 Part Two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Psychepath posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinLeeper_yo/status/1194936549005131776

Short summary of the guy's video is that he believes 2k saw a chance to drop Yukes from development, and had an all-internal team trying to learn how to make these games on their own based on what may have even been the Switch version of 2k18, while simultaneously putting out 2k19 as normal with Yukes' help. Then with Yukes gone, this year's game is a mess with a bunch of missing features because it's actually just 2k18 Part Two.

Ah, the hubris of large corporations. :capitalism:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like it is just so loving typical to go “we don’t need these idiots who have been doing this thing for years, we’ll just do it ourselves!” and then crashing and burning when it turns out that no you can’t.

Make a good game for years on end? Get dissolved, have the big company take over your poo poo and have then run it into the ground. What kinda fuckin thank you is that?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it would be really funny if the original yukes game miraculously turned out to be good

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress it being based on the switch version of WWE 2k18 makes so much sense. :sbahj:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
find it hard to believe its only 2k18 when it has assets from 2k19 in it, but whatever. These games still have content & code in it from loving ps1 era

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Like it is just so loving typical to go “we don’t need these idiots who have been doing this thing for years, we’ll just do it ourselves!” and then crashing and burning when it turns out that no you can’t.

Make a good game for years on end? Get dissolved, have the big company take over your poo poo and have then run it into the ground. What kinda fuckin thank you is that?

let’s not go wild now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WatermelonGun posted:

let’s not go wild now

the Yuke's games have been samey forever but 2k20 is the first one i'm aware of that's an outright broken, hosed up pile of poo poo

if you like the general style of gameplay, everything from HCTP straight through to 2k19 is at least, like, okay afaik