Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glorious nz phone lives made sure i got every single one of those fifty six kilobs

that said this was probably while people in the rest of the world were well and truly past dialup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
We used to have ISDN back in the day. Connecting in seconds, and with channel bonding, you could surf the net at a blazing fast 128 kbit/s

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My first DSL line was 256

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

I had a 56k modem and i literally never saw it connect at that speed. usually only at like 48

what a shitload of gently caress!

56k was always a lie in the US anyway

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

I had a 56k modem and i literally never saw it connect at that speed. usually only at like 48

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I lived out in the country and only ever got 26.4, also you could here noise on the line when it rained

uphill both ways

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

i never got below 48, but tbf our phone lines arent secondhand 2 cent speaker cables

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: cortana, the blue big tiddy ai with toes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rip thing I never enabled because lol at speaking at your computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nightmare

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i still cannot believe people willingly allow internet-connected microphones to snoop on them 24/7/365

like who does that

turns out: everyone? and it horrifies me

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah it’s bad

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

the answer is indeed everyone since your phone and tablet also have internet-connected mics

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

TOOT BOOT posted:

the answer is indeed everyone since your phone and tablet also have internet-connected mics

yeah but i still trust apple more than literally everyone else just simply that it's not in their revenue stream to monetize the data in the way everyone else is

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i also very nearly trust apple to actually turn their poo poo off if i disable it in settings

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

good riddance.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

i also very nearly trust apple to actually turn their poo poo off if i disable it in settings

except for wifi i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and bluetooth.

very nearly

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
tried out a clean install of windows 10 version 1909 on a junk laptop i have laying around, to see what looks/behaves different

i always install windows without a internet connection so the installer cant nag you nearly as much about creating a microsoft account

now after the install when youre at the desktop, connecting to a network makes that setup screen reappear

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a microsoft account for my personal email address, it's not signed in on my workstation except in outlook. naturally, multiple times a week outlook forgets the password and asks me to sign in again, then tries to default to binding the account to windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TOOT BOOT posted:

mobile devices can't spy on you all day long, though, because it would trash the battery

poo poo you plug into the wall has very different power envelopes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mobile devices can't spy on you all day long, though, because it would trash the battery

poo poo you plug into the wall has very different power envelopes

it’s the screen and cell radio that trash the battery. a spyware thing that just recorded to flash and uploaded in one burst during normal usage wouldn’t be as noticeable.

that would likely require a very device specific attack however

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what am I looking at there? is that the new not-taskbar cortana? just kill it already

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

what am I looking at there? is that the new not-taskbar cortana? just kill it already

t-rex with kitchen thongs, clearly

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Buh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you got a weird kitchen my dude

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

you got a weird kitchen my dude

i can't blame my way out of this one on autocorrect, can i

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sex kitchen.

but also those are grabbers rather than tongs i think

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its why microsoft is cool again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL
https://twitter.com/panos_panay/status/1197575990194520065

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

those were the ones that cost more than airpods and made a giant ridiculous circle in your ear?

fake edit: yep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

those were the ones that cost more than airpods and made a giant ridiculous circle in your ear?

fake edit: yep

airpods went on sale almost three years ago and other companies are still fumbling to release working earbuds

was it amazon or google that did a big product announcement for their earbuds only to have just plastic mockups to show to reporters?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ear buttplug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

airpods went on sale almost three years ago and other companies are still fumbling to release working earbuds

was it amazon or google that did a big product announcement for their earbuds only to have just plastic mockups to show to reporters?

was it the amazon one where the guy announcing it was wearing earpods?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
remember the ""pixel buds"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol no, did those even release or did they die on the vine in a race to cancellation?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

buds? I bet those people don't even know each other

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
literally none of those is a good color for the model, they’re all appalling style

edit: i guess they’re supposed to match the outfits? but that’s not really how that works

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember the ""pixel buds"

Okay so instead of having little noodles hanging from your ears we have upgraded to Mentos