Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Why, though?

Free parking encourages people to drive to work. Extended parking passes discourages people from biking or taking transit one or two days a week if they can; if you've got a monthly parking pass, there's no reason not to drive every day of the month; if you're paying each day for parking, and you can bike in T-Th, that cuts your parking costs by 40%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wibla posted:

Why, though?

Some bizarre accelerationist notion that mass erasure of 100-some years of American urban design, transportation lifestyle, and settlement patterns is imminent and we’ll all start biking everywhere if only a few companies impose increased costs on their employees (the hardest hit of whom probably can’t drop five bills on that Dutch poly-carbon frame with the sw8 whammy forks you saw in Bike Fancier Monthly)?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Some bizarre accelerationist notion that mass erasure of 100-some years of American urban design, transportation lifestyle, and settlement patterns is imminent and we’ll all start biking everywhere if only a few companies impose increased costs on their employees (the hardest hit of whom probably can’t drop five bills on that Dutch poly-carbon frame with the sw8 whammy forks you saw in Bike Fancier Monthly)?

You're weird and wrong. Cars are awful. Let's discuss lovely urban design in North America elsewhere though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m just angry the people in the bike shop always look at me weird whenever I ask if they can add training wheels.

It’s like: I’m not the one wearing spandex, ok buddy?

:mad:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Free parking encourages people to drive to work. Extended parking passes discourages people from biking or taking transit one or two days a week if they can; if you've got a monthly parking pass, there's no reason not to drive every day of the month; if you're paying each day for parking, and you can bike in T-Th, that cuts your parking costs by 40%.
Not everyone CAN take the bus/metro or bike to work, some are constrained because public transit sucks rear end (hello :patriot: ), others have kids they need to cart to kindergarten, and yet others have physical disabilities. "Pay for parking or else" is a bullshit lever to use, it is better to incentivize the behaviour you wish to see in a positive way, e.g. subsidizing metro passes or paying for part of a bike.

In a situation where you are looking to change jobs, extra costs involved in commuting to work is basically a net reduction in base pay, and should be reflected as such, which means that smart money has you negotiating your pay up to compensate for that.

I'd love to use public transit to work, but it's not worth it for me to spend a hour each way commuting 18 miles when I can drive the same stretch in 21-24 minutes, and not have to worry about making the bus home, or that the bus might not come at all because lol winter (gently caress :norway: ).

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're weird and wrong. Cars are awful. Let's discuss lovely urban design in North America elsewhere though.

Cars are indeed awful, but the only viable solution for a lot of people, and for the time being you just have to deal with that fact. Tell your friends to stop buying SUVs (they are literally Hitler), and switch to electric if possible.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

I think you can do something like an FSA where you put pre-tax money towards parking or bus passes?

Also known as commuter benefits, yes. You're limited at $265/mo pretax for transit and parking (separate totals). San Francisco has actually put in ordinances to require employers to offer some form of commuter benefits in fact.

Of course, being America, you only see it in NY / Boston / DC, a bit of Atlanta, Chicago and San Francisco.... And that's it, basically.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm just mad all my employers have jumped over themselves to provide free/subsidized/plentiful parking yet balk at the concept and helping pay for transit passes. It is quite literally illogical.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Not everyone CAN take the bus/metro or bike to work, some are constrained because public transit sucks rear end (hello :patriot: ), others have kids they need to cart to kindergarten, and yet others have physical disabilities. "Pay for parking or else" is a bullshit lever to use, it is better to incentivize the behaviour you wish to see in a positive way, e.g. subsidizing metro passes or paying for part of a bike.

In a situation where you are looking to change jobs, extra costs involved in commuting to work is basically a net reduction in base pay, and should be reflected as such, which means that smart money has you negotiating your pay up to compensate for that.

I'd love to use public transit to work, but it's not worth it for me to spend a hour each way commuting 18 miles when I can drive the same stretch in 21-24 minutes, and not have to worry about making the bus home, or that the bus might not come at all because lol winter (gently caress :norway: ).

Cars are indeed awful, but the only viable solution for a lot of people, and for the time being you just have to deal with that fact. Tell your friends to stop buying SUVs (they are literally Hitler), and switch to electric if possible.
I would suggest a cash transportation subsidy, that can be spent however the person receiving it would like, but still a requirement that parking be charged daily. That seems like it would resolve most of the issues you're mentioning.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm just mad all my employers have jumped over themselves to provide free/subsidized/plentiful parking yet balk at the concept and helping pay for transit passes. It is quite literally illogical.

We even have free EV charging at work... :v: But my office is in an industrial area outside of town, traffic is basically non-existent (I might spend 20 seconds waiting to get on the freeway on a Friday afternoon) and we have room for proper parking lots.

Thanatosian posted:

I would suggest a cash transportation subsidy, that can be spent however the person receiving it would like, but still a requirement that parking be charged daily. That seems like it would resolve most of the issues you're mentioning.

I could live with that, but to me it still boils down to the numbers. In any event, using nudge theory and positive reinforcement to change behaviour is the way to go.

EV incentives in Norway are a pretty good example of how to get people to switch... you have to make it economically alluring, then scale it back in small steps as the goals are approached, but it's easier to tweak these things in an economy where new vehicles get taxed heavily. It's easier to deal with "ok you don't pay VAT and road tax on EV"s than "oh yeah you get a $7500 tax break next year".

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Wibla posted:

We even have free EV charging at work...

I have free EV charging at work too....

But I work for the company BUILDING the EV charging stations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chin up everything sucks posted:

If you work at charge point I used to work with a bunch of folks that work there now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, my company works with power systems and automation, so we install them :v:

Trying to get a 22 kW charger installed, and some of the older charging outlets swapped out for proper EV charging stations, but the landlord is not overly cooperative so far.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skipdogg posted:

If you work at charge point I used to work with a bunch of folks that work there now.

I do in fact work at ChargePoint!

Oh dear, I may have doxxed myself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At our new head office there are only 10 parking spaces. For the first time since 1997 I am not going to be able to park at work. The rest of us will have to walk about 10 minutes from a city parking structure.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I do in fact work at ChargePoint!

Oh dear, I may have doxxed myself.

Nah I’m not sure who you are. I used to work at 2Wire back in the day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Eliminate office buildings. Everyone work remote

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

Eliminate office buildings. Everyone work remote

gently caress yes. My commute is 30 feet to my home office. It’s the best.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dick Trauma posted:

At our new head office there are only 10 parking spaces. For the first time since 1997 I am not going to be able to park at work. The rest of us will have to walk about 10 minutes from a city parking structure.

I had to do this for a year or 2 and while it’s really nice in the summer, it got annoying really quick when it was freezing or raining (and forgot your umbrella).

After some time I found a dead end alley that was exempt from parking fees (probably forgotten) which had place for about 20 cars. If you came in before 7.30 you could park there and only had to walk 5 minutes.

Co workers started parking at the local IKEA but after some time they put up security who started checking which cars were coming in and whose owners did not enter the store. After an hour or so they’d call the towing company.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

My favorite part of working from home is curling up with the dog and having a 45 minute nap at lunch.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Does this mean your finally getting a proper office with a desk?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skipdogg posted:

Nah I’m not sure who you are. I used to work at 2Wire back in the day.

Oh, I worked there for a while. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, being a call center.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

fluppet posted:

Does this mean your finally getting a proper office with a desk?

Oh gosh. I sat at that stupid little round table for maybe two years, and then someone wanted my office so I got booted out to a smaller one, but it had a desk! They immediately bought furniture for my old office because of course the person who moved in was not expected to sit at the stupid little round table.

For a year I kept that office, stuck next to Bill again so I had to listen to his endless bigotry. That was fun.

Then the CEO in one of his many mercurial moments shuffled all the offices for the like the fourth time that year. The guy who took my office was moved back to his old one, and I was placed right back where I started, but I got to keep all the furniture they bought for the other guy. HUZZAH.

Now we're moving the whole HQ but... it's a story that is so stupid I can't even relate the whole story. It involves things like the CEO deciding to lease from someone who hates him so much all of our communication has to go through lawyers. The owner has refused to allow our ISP access to install our circuit, and we are moving at the end of next week! Even though the new site is huge the CEO decided that half of our staff should stay behind in a temporary suite for at least three months. For reasons. So I have to provide them with internet and connect them to our phone system remotely. And our temporary certificate of occupancy only covers 25% of the new site so we are all going to be stuffed into one corner while the rest sits empty.

It's the stupidest office move I've ever been a part of. It's just a festival of stupidity, wasted time and wasted effort. The CEO is going to pour a million dollars into improving the site. That. We. Do. Not. Own.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

Here's a city that took a similar approach but very openly ringfenced the revenue for public transport use

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/10/17/nottinghams-workplace-parking-levy-creates-jobs-cuts-car-use-and-slashes-pollution/
Earmarks are great until genius big-brain sees the £9 million the program brings in and figures out they can cut £9 million worth of funding from the general budget

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Proteus Jones posted:

Home office supremacy. Yes I have to pay for my own poo poo but I turn guarantee I have my favorite poo poo.

But it’s fun going I to the office for by team meetings. I know that every other Wednesday I’m not getting anything done except bullshitting with colleagues which is actually a valuable thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, I worked there for a while. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, being a call center.

Nice. There were a bunch of goons there. Another 2Wire goon actually bought me my account.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Anybody know a way to mitigate email bombing? My coworker started getting spammed like crazy the other day, hundreds of emails every few minutes. It worked because they had compromised his account to our corporate Verizon account and bought like 9 iPhone 11s lol.

But what the hell can you do when this sort of thing happens?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Tetramin posted:

Anybody know a way to mitigate email bombing? My coworker started getting spammed like crazy the other day, hundreds of emails every few minutes. It worked because they had compromised his account to our corporate Verizon account and bought like 9 iPhone 11s lol.

But what the hell can you do when this sort of thing happens?

Email security gateways (Proofpoint, Sonicwall) will usually have throttling rules that knock that poo poo off, and then it'll send InfoSec/Ops an alarm that something's fishy.

What to do when it happens? Sounds like you did everything right except the throttling.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Email security gateways (Proofpoint, Sonicwall) will usually have throttling rules that knock that poo poo off, and then it'll send InfoSec/Ops an alarm that something's fishy.

What to do when it happens? Sounds like you did everything right except the throttling.

We have infrascales, i dont know what that does besides report phishing. Otherwise our exchange dude shrugged and said “change your smtp” lmao.

It’s an interesting tactic to me. Just blowing up somebody’s email with legit emails like signing up for newsletters or whatever to cover your massive purchase. I should’ve gotten myself a new phone

How do those tools identify crap versus real communications though? I think my coworker has 500 belly rub points to claim if anybody is interested.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Otherwise our exchange dude shrugged and said “change your smtp” lmao.

Jesus.

SPF, DKIM, DMARC control policies and a good security gateway should crush a hefty amount of that (especially newsletters), make his mailbox functional again, and should be intelligent enough to recognize a legit purchase invoice and let it through.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 17, 2019

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Jesus.

SFP, DKIM, DMARC control policies and a good security gateway should crush a hefty amount of that (especially newsletters), make his mailbox functional again, and should be intelligent enough to recognize a legit purchase invoice and let it through.

This. Your Exchange guy sucks.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

kensei posted:

This. Your Exchange guy sucks.

I will be sure to stage a huge speech where i loudly tell him this.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Tetramin posted:

Just send him a few hundred emails...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pzy posted:

I was at the ER once the very day they were switching to Epic. I died.

Are you me? I'm pretty sure I was Patient Zero in the ED for our Epic cutover, which I was hired on to help with. Better believe I was triple-checking every medication and lab order placed for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a reason why Epic consultants make bank after leaving Epic.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Tetramin posted:

He'll legally change his name before the meeting and pretend you're talking to someone else so :siren:problem solved:siren:.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Thanatosian posted:

There is no public transit system in my area that will drive me the thirty miles to my job. If there was, it would take two hours to do so. I can't - not won't, but CAN'T - bike the requisite distance, and never will be able to.

What I'm saying is in your rush to be an accelerationist progressive, don't also be an ableist gently caress.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/jsnover/status/1196150970389950464?s=21

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

On the other hand, if everyone who worked at the sears tower drove to work it would take 8 hours or more just to park the cars.

Also keep in mind that the suburban office complex ringed with parking lots and garages isn't "free" parking, its money that the company spends as subsidy on you parking your gasburner in lieu of paying you more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

On the other hand, if everyone who worked at the sears tower drove to work it would take 8 hours or more just to park the cars.

Also keep in mind that the suburban office complex ringed with parking lots and garages isn't "free" parking, its money that the company spends as subsidy on you parking your gasburner in lieu of paying you more.

“In lieu of paying you more”

I don’t think that is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

“In lieu of paying you more”

I don’t think that is correct.

What part of it is incorrect? They are spending money on building and maintaining parking structures as an employee benefit that could be used to pay you more.