Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I assumed it was because it's about as far as you can get on Dathomir and then is useful on Zeffo. Not so much that it's a required upgrade to get first, but enough that hitting that progression dead end doesn't feel like you wasted time not going to Zeffo right away.

Maybe that was the motivation, but either way it's weird that you can get the upgrade in two locations -- either on Bogano where you a minute-long cutscene followed by a tutorial combat encounter, or on Dathomir where you character silently fiddles around with a random upgrade station and it pops up a window telling you that you got one of the most gameplay defining upgrades in the game.

I can't imagine that was their original intention. Like, even the boring droid upgrades get a few lines of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never used the double saber it's damage is trash and you've got better ways to quickly kill swarmy enemies that don't risk them unflinchingly attacking through your double saber.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm early into the game, but I already wish the melee was more inspired by something like DMC than Souls. I feel like the Souls approach where your melee attacks are kinda awkward depends on highly tuned combat (and frankly I still didn't like it in those games and appreciated the variety of other options). I feel like I'm just having to figure things out through trial and error when it comes to most timing (and not in a good way). If not Souls, it also could have worked well to just make this a straight-up Uncharted clone instead of a weird Uncharted/Souls hybrid, though I guess making a good Uncharted-style game is easier said than done.

On the upside the game is pretty gorgeous with the HDR on my TV and mostly runs really well with maxed out settings, but I get stuttering when in more open areas and turning my camera, and I don't think it's related to graphics settings since lowering them doesn't help (and it runs at a steady capped 60fps otherwise with 1440p).

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

So I was on the Wookie planet and fought a Boba Fett motherfucker called Atticus Rex and his giant robot. They promptly killed me and when I went back to fight them again they were gone, replaced by some stromtroopers and I could still pick up death penalty since it was just a beacon on the ground. Does this game have optional bosses that sometimes spawn?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

limp_cheese posted:

So I was on the Wookie planet and fought a Boba Fett motherfucker called Atticus Rex and his giant robot. They promptly killed me and when I went back to fight them again they were gone, replaced by some stromtroopers and I could still pick up death penalty since it was just a beacon on the ground. Does this game have optional bosses that sometimes spawn?

These bounty hunters spawn randomly, but in fixed areas where there is room for them as far as I can tell. They often pop up in areas where you're not ready for them and have used all your estus, which is super annoying if you have travelled a long way from a bonfire on the way back to your ship for instance. I've had them appear in the room before the next bonfire a couple of times and just gone ugh.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

JBP posted:

These bounty hunters spawn randomly, but in fixed areas where there is room for them as far as I can tell. They often pop up in areas where you're not ready for them and have used all your estus, which is super annoying if you have travelled a long way from a bonfire on the way back to your ship for instance. I've had them appear in the room before the next bonfire a couple of times and just gone ugh.

I'll be damned. I just ran into 2 different bounty hunters around the same area. Its cool they do that but I can't tell if you get anything special from killing them. Makes exploring more interesting and explains why I fought a gently caress off robot when I went back to the first world.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JBP posted:

I never used the double saber it's damage is trash and you've got better ways to quickly kill swarmy enemies that don't risk them unflinchingly attacking through your double saber.

Ironically the double saber sucks at killing swarmy enemies but does amazing damage to single targets that you can drop a Heavy combo on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JBP posted:

Mainly I use it to reflect multiple blaster shots at once. An imperial squadron opens fire and all dies at the same time. Dices up gatling troopers the same way.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Saw people say in video reviews that the enemy AI is too easy at default difficulty. I set it to max difficulty and now the game owns me so hard. The only thing keeping me from changing it back is pride. Any combat tips other than git gud?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love how confident the enemies are in this video game.

https://gfycat.com/adventurousmixedgemsbok

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Saw people say in video reviews that the enemy AI is too easy at default difficulty. I set it to max difficulty and now the game owns me so hard. The only thing keeping me from changing it back is pride. Any combat tips other than git gud?

They attack pretty frequently on hard. Bump it to very hard when you've got more abilities imo. I switch to very hard for the last 25% of the game but probably should have done it sooner.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Don't stress too hard about parrying, dodge roll everywhere. Grab the HP and force upgrades first. I'm only up to the third planet but Grandmaster has been a fun challenge, I really like that it's just you who takes more damage rather than enemies becoming HP sponges, as well as faster enemy reactions. Just sucks that the load times take an eternity

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just finished the game

Game good

BD-1> BB-8

Ending is great

Nightsister Merrin is my new e-crush

edit: Wow Forrest Whitaker did voice Saw!

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 17, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holy gently caress this game does not end.

Merrin and bb are awesome. Everyone else can get hosed.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

jabro posted:

Holy gently caress this game does not end.

Merrin and bb are awesome. Everyone else can get hosed.

You aren't far from the end

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why are their kookaburras on kashykk?

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
QQ: Is it preferable to play with a gamepad, or with keyboard and mouse? My decision wheter to get it for my ps4 pro or high end PC depends on that, since i can't hook up my PC to the telly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gamepad. If you boot it up without a gamepad attached it outright has a splash screen saying "you could play it like this, but you really should use a gamepad".

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

wilbur.walsh posted:

QQ: Is it preferable to play with a gamepad, or with keyboard and mouse? My decision wheter to get it for my ps4 pro or high end PC depends on that, since i can't hook up my PC to the telly.

I played it on my laptop with an Xbox controller.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Raged posted:

I played it on my laptop with an Xbox controller.

Thanks, i will play it with a gamepad, for sure!

Now my dilemma is wheter to play it on the PC with headphones and max Details but no hdr on a 27" Display or on the ps4 pro my 75" TV HDR and 5.1 surround Sound. :ohdear:
#firstworldproblems

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

wilbur.walsh posted:

Thanks, i will play it with a gamepad, for sure!

Now my dilemma is wheter to play it on the PC with headphones and max Details but no hdr on a 27" Display or on the ps4 pro my 75" TV HDR and 5.1 surround Sound. :ohdear:
#firstworldproblems

Definitely play on PC, the PS4 loaf times are enough to make me reconsider finishing on PS4Pro

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm a big fan of how quickly the stormtrooper groups get scared after you kill one or two of them. The lines make it sound like Cal is some kind of wild, and very angry animal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The DBL is actually super effective on Jedi Grandmaster for any fight involving more than one dude. The second blade is still doing damage to everything it hits that isn’t the dude you’re locked on to, and it wears down their health and stamina or even occasionally back hacks a guy for free. I’m basically starting every fight with DBL and then cinematically swap to single blade to finish off the last guy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
DBL is how you get a ton of force power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UtGHXqzlGE

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

wilbur.walsh posted:

i'm not playing on hardest difficulty or anything but i've had no trouble with kb+m. you should probably choose whatever you're more comfortable with.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just "finished" Zeffo (in so far as I did the AT-ST fight and opened up every door I could find with my newfound force push and scomp jack thing).

I hate unnecessary backtracking in games but none of it felt too egregious here, since there are just so many shortcuts that you can unlock that generally bring you back to where you need to go relatively quickly. The sheer number of shortcuts and branching pathways can feel really overwhelming though unless you want to spend a few minutes looking at your map.

Should I do Kashyyyk right away, or sidetrack to Dathomir? I feel like the game basically gave me zero good story reason for going to Dathomir at all, and I've already forgotten whatever breadcrumb was even there to begin with.

Also:
"Know any good jokes BD-1?"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drone posted:

Should I do Kashyyyk right away, or sidetrack to Dathomir? I feel like the game basically gave me zero good story reason for going to Dathomir at all, and I've already forgotten whatever breadcrumb was even there to begin with.

Also:
"Know any good jokes BD-1?"

You can only do the first part of Dathomir right now, you need a new power to advance farther.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL this coliseum fight might be what gets me to admit defeat and throw in the towel on Grandmaster. The big guys aren’t so bad, but honestly throwing every planets critters at you at the same time letting them jump and spit acid and burrow and dive you all at once is sincerely super mega bullshit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Otoh I would kill for a grandmaster aggressiveness difficulty without having to worry about super tight parry timing, since thats the only thing keeping me from playing it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I dropped it to Jedi Master and one shot it, if even a single dev beat this game on Grandmaster before shipping it I’ll eat my hat.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
So, bounty hunters...

-Fought and lost to Murdie in the caverns of Zeffo where you meet the first Jotaz, which led to the arena fight on whatever that small meteoroid is called
-Beat JNX-whatever in the abandoned workshop in Bogano
-Beat some duo on Kashyyyk, beneath the AT-ST fight area with the elevator

Is this the extent of them?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lead Psychiatry posted:

So, bounty hunters...

-Fought and lost to Murdie in the caverns of Zeffo where you meet the first Jotaz, which led to the arena fight on whatever that small meteoroid is called
-Beat JNX-whatever in the abandoned workshop in Bogano
-Beat some duo on Kashyyyk, beneath the AT-ST fight area with the elevator

Is this the extent of them?

At least one more.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen a single one of these bounty hunter fights. I'm on Zeffo for the second time, currently clearing the second tomb. Are they completely random events?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bardeh posted:

I haven't seen a single one of these bounty hunter fights. I'm on Zeffo for the second time, currently clearing the second tomb. Are they completely random events?

Only read the spoiler if you want to know what they pertain to.

No. They seem scripted to me and part of a secondary plot conversation with Greez that is hamfisted in that totally lost me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

Only read the spoiler if you want to know what they pertain to.

No. They seem scripted to me and part of a secondary plot conversation with Greez that is hamfisted in that totally lost me.

Oh yeah, I remember him saying something about gambling and Cere mentioning how she didn't want the bounty hunters after him again. Huh, maybe I'll encounter them once I'm done with the tomb or something :shrug:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Hhhhhhooooo boy this final fight with Trilla really shows off the warts on the combat system.

Every single move she has aggressively tracks you, and she benefits from a LOAD of i-frames

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Bardeh posted:

Oh yeah, I remember him saying something about gambling and Cere mentioning how she didn't want the bounty hunters after him again. Huh, maybe I'll encounter them once I'm done with the tomb or something :shrug:

Was when I did.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished. The game definitely needed a few more months of polish. If you put aside some of the technical and balance issues, it's definitely the best Star Wars game since KOTOR and I would love to see what Respawn could do with a sequel.

Probably at least in my top 10 for the year. In a patch or two it'll be worth $60 for sure, and will be an absolute steal on sale in a few months.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Bardeh posted:

It seemed like there was a scripted fight on Zeffo after the second romb when you're heading back to the ship. After that the bounty hunters started showing up for me.

Does anyone know if you get something for beating them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

limp_cheese posted:

It seemed like there was a scripted fight on Zeffo after the second romb when you're heading back to the ship. After that the bounty hunters started showing up for me.

Does anyone know if you get something for beating them all?

I'm at a part of the story where I feel I''m done with them so no.