Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dyscrasia posted:

Mention of Hisense brings up a question I was wondering about. Why no recommendations for the them? I see their higher end budget model rated slightly higher than the TCL 6 series.

Is it because they are a newer brand?

The H9F is well reviewed but tends to cost more than the 65R625, and Roku probably has a better interface than Android. Certainly a good budget choice. Its biggest advantage, a 120hz panel, is negated for gaming because it doesn't support 120 hz inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

ElwoodCuse posted:

Been looking at TVs in the Best Buy black friday ad because I have a credit card with them. Basically everything has HDR now, but is there a difference between "HDR capable" or standards or what?

There's no standard other than that it can display an HDR10 signal without throwing up an error message or the whole screen turning purple and green or something. There's a lot of HDR TVs that have lower peak brightness and color gamut coverage than a nice 1080p set.

Cinematographers and color timers have standards that they work within that content is best viewed in, but even a lot of the nicest TVs can't meet them, and no TV is going to come with default settings anywhere close.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven’t seen any deals on the 2019 TCL 6 Series in any of the BF ads that have come out, should I just not bother waiting or is there still a possibility of a sale somewhere

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven’t seen any deals on the 2019 TCL 6 Series in any of the BF ads that have come out, should I just not bother waiting or is there still a possibility of a sale somewhere

You can get them on sale at Rakuten.

There's basically two types of sales there.

Right now it's a 17% back *in rewards points* promo so the 65" is $799 so that's $136 back in Rewards Points that can be used just like cash at Rakuten.

The 55" is $599 with $102 back.

Tomorrow or the next day, when that sale goes off (it usually happens once or twice a week) then the price will go to $699 for the 65" and $509 for the 55" (but only like 2% back in points).

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

KS posted:

The H9F is well reviewed but tends to cost more than the 65R625, and Roku probably has a better interface than Android. Certainly a good budget choice. Its biggest advantage, a 120hz panel, is negated for gaming because it doesn't support 120 hz inputs.

Makes sense, I've seen it running $100 more, probably not worth the extra cost. I was not sure if there were Hisense horror stories or anything like that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Updating my Sony last year made the CEC actually work with the rest of my system which was well worth doing it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I haven't received my LG C9 but all reviews online indicate that the smart features are not bad. The only spergy complaint I've found is that the Plex app chokes on big files because the ethernet interface is not gigabit.
I'll try it out for a while and if I can't live with it I'll get an Apple TV or NVIDIA Shield. My only apprehension is that I don't wanna go back to the days of juggling 3 remotes.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
LG's apps are fantastic IMO and I haven't added a streaming box to my OLED.

Use wifi to avoid the 100 mbit limitation.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Animal posted:

I haven't received my LG C9 but all reviews online indicate that the smart features are not bad. The only spergy complaint I've found is that the Plex app chokes on big files because the ethernet interface is not gigabit.
I'll try it out for a while and if I can't live with it I'll get an Apple TV or NVIDIA Shield. My only apprehension is that I don't wanna go back to the days of juggling 3 remotes.

Roku Ultra handles 99% of my LG remote interactions. Only thing it doesn't is clicking "yes" to pair my bluetooth headphones. If you don't use that feature you can throw their garbage remote in the trash (don't actually, but gently caress that remote.)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Roku Ultra handles 99% of my LG remote interactions. Only thing it doesn't is clicking "yes" to pair my bluetooth headphones. If you don't use that feature you can throw their garbage remote in the trash (don't actually, but gently caress that remote.)

Even TV image quality settings?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Animal posted:

Even TV image quality settings?

You're right, "post setup" I don't need it anymore. It lives on my mantel and I click the center button when I pair my headphones. CEC has gotten a lot better these days, but of course there is no way for either menu driven device to know whose menus I want it navigating at that second.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Animal posted:

KS posted:

LG's apps are fantastic IMO and I haven't added a streaming box to my OLED.

Use wifi to avoid the 100 mbit limitation.

The LG apps are pretty decent as far as "built into the TV" apps go. If they work for you, it's a pretty good idea to stick with them because they all have pretty aggressive Screensaver settings to reduce the possibility of burning app UI stuff into your TV. Plus, they'll handle turning hdr on and off as needed, and just automatically adjust the panel refresh rate to something appropriate for whatever you're watching. All of this is a pretty huge upgrade in usability compared to other smart tvs like Samsung.

I generally don't like having to agree to a privacy policy just to use a TV so I tend to have all of that poo poo turned off either way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow, that Vizio P QX model is pretty drat cheap.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Big TV

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/98-class-q900-qled-smart-8k-uhd-tv-2019-qn98q900rbfxza

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was somewhat relieved that the 300 reviews of the $60k TV were relating to the 55” and 65” versions.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's $5000 for the 98 inches and $55,000 for the badge that says 8K

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thank goodness, the remote has a bixby button

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I bought a TCL 6 Series last November 22nd. The 1 year warranty is coming up.

I've recently had a problem where the TV just cuts off all audio. No menu sounds, no sounds from input. Nothing. The only solution is to unplug the TV and plug it back in. This happens like... once every 3 weeks? It's annoying, but not a huge concern. just happens in the middle of watching a show with no button presses triggering it.

Anyway, TCL was not helpful with tech support. They opened a case, but wouldn't do anything to fix it.

Do I have any options here? I don't want a broken TV that won't be covered in 1 week by the warranty. I feel like they are just waiting out the warranty when they should do a product swap if they cannot find what is wrong with it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

So I bought a TCL 6 Series last November 22nd. The 1 year warranty is coming up.

I've recently had a problem where the TV just cuts off all audio. No menu sounds, no sounds from input. Nothing. The only solution is to unplug the TV and plug it back in. This happens like... once every 3 weeks? It's annoying, but not a huge concern. just happens in the middle of watching a show with no button presses triggering it.

Anyway, TCL was not helpful with tech support. They opened a case, but wouldn't do anything to fix it.

Do I have any options here? I don't want a broken TV that won't be covered in 1 week by the warranty. I feel like they are just waiting out the warranty when they should do a product swap if they cannot find what is wrong with it

Complain to TCL at high volume. They will eventually fix it. Their tech support is notorious for trying to bully you into not getting it fixed at first.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Astro7x posted:

You need to be calm but firm on the phone that you need your in-warranty TV repaired. Don't let them off the phone until they issue you an RMA number.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm thinking about picking up a 2019 TCL from Amazon, since I can't find any upcoming deals that are more appealing. I'm planning on sticking it to a Vesa mount, and will use both as a normal TV, and as a second display for my desktop. Anything I should know before I place the order, like other cheap budget tvs around this size and price, general brand issues like what was mentioned above, or something else? I'm used to shopping for computer monitors, but I have no idea what to look for on a TV.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S425-inch-Smart-Roku/dp/B07JJZPZNS/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Thanks for the info so far, it seems like I might as well wait on the Black Friday stuff because it's either crap TVs cheap or high-end TVs sorta cheaper.

After some reading it appears that these are a little more than basic "TV for the size", anyone have opinions on either of these? Samsung 7 series and Hisense H8F series. Both $599

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-led-h8f-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6360623.p?skuId=6360623

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-led-7-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6325561.p?skuId=6325561

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Rtings is a comprehensive review site that gets used a lot itt. Have a read about the two TVs you mentioned:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8f

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100

quote:

The Hisense H8F is much better than the Samsung RU7100. The H8F has a full array local dimming feature, and significantly better black uniformity, resulting in a much better dark room viewing experience. The H8F also has better reflection handling and is much brighter.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Best Buy Canada has the B9 up with a supposed $800 CAD discount (for a total of $2199 CAD) at https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-65-4k-uhd-hdr-oled-webos-smart-tv-oled65b9pua/13796793. Is this actually a good deal? Additionally, will I regret getting this instead of the C9? My usage is generally for movies/tv via streaming, and some light gaming via a PS4, so my gut says I wouldn't really notice a significant difference, and the C9 is waaaay more expensive.

e: Actually best buy also has the C9 on discount for $2499 CAD, so I guess it's not massively more expensive.

Top Quark fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 15, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the general consensus of the TCL 4 series for basic television watching? Our 70" Sharp is starting to show it's age and my wife mentioned she would like a new tv with all the smart features like the TCL 6 series I bought recently. She's not a picture snob and I'd rarely watch this set, it will likely never have a game system hooked up to it. Would the 4 series be all that bad for a basic living room tv?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rhyno posted:

What's the general consensus of the TCL 4 series for basic television watching? Our 70" Sharp is starting to show it's age and my wife mentioned she would like a new tv with all the smart features like the TCL 6 series I bought recently. She's not a picture snob and I'd rarely watch this set, it will likely never have a game system hooked up to it. Would the 4 series be all that bad for a basic living room tv?

"Won't be used for gaming and picture quality doesn't matter" is pretty much the only lane in which the 4 series makes sense, so go hog wild.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BonoMan posted:

"Won't be used for gaming and picture quality doesn't matter" is pretty much the only lane in which the 4 series makes sense, so go hog wild.

I don't think she can tell the difference in the picture quality, she just wants to watch her Disney + stuff while on the comfy couch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

I don't think she can tell the difference in the picture quality, she just wants to watch her Disney + stuff while on the comfy couch.

Get an OLED for you and give her the 6-series TCL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 55" isn't big enough for that room.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The 55" isn't big enough for that room.

But does she know that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

H110Hawk posted:

But does she know that?

One of her requests was a tv of similar size.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Is this the place to ask about TV repair? Just wanna check before I start posting a bunch of pictures and talking about bulging caps.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Whatever model of TV it is, look for a replacement board on eBay.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I generally don't like having to agree to a privacy policy just to use a TV so I tend to have all of that poo poo turned off either way.
What do you use for content/apps? A PC? I have the same feeling about smart TVs but I'm wondering about my options. I've thought of using the smart features with Pi-hole + a smart TV blocklist like this one.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm currently shopping for a good TV and sound system to go with it. Having gone and looked at TVs we both agree the 65" LG C9's image is reason enough to forego bigger but lesser-quality screens. I've got the following concerns about buying right now:

1. I've been burned by buying the first model TVs with a new HDMI spec, and plan to use a PS5 with this TV next year. Is the HDMI 2.1 spec on the C9 a complete implementation, or is it one of those cases where the screen can support 120Hz 4k HDR, but none of the inputs can?
2. The ethernet port on the C9 is 100Mbit. We have gigabit ethernet in the wall where the TV's going but spotty WiFi. We're likely to use other sources for streaming most content, but if the TV's apps can't get a 4k stream that seems like a reason to wait.
3. Speaking of all those streaming sources, we've got more that we use regularly than most TVs have inputs for. At minimum we've got the cable box, fire stick, and Playstation, but I want to have some way to play physical media in HDR 4k, an Apple TV is around, and I've got a long-term project to get a Plex server going. Obviously we don't need all of those things all the time, but it'd be nice to not use every port on the TV immediately.
4. Where is a good place to buy a good articulated wall mount for the TV? The C9 is so thin I don't want something that needs muscle to move, but it can't be so smooth the TV just flops around.
5. I want the simplest possible setup for streaming inputs and audio, so I think the solution is to have devices plugged in to the TV and then ARC (or optical) feeding a sound system. I'm fine with something complicated but I live with someone who regularly yells at an iPhone. What we have now (a switcher feeding the sound bar feeding the TV) has too many places for him to lose the signal and get frustrated.
6. While we definitely want an external speaker solution of some type, we don't need surround speakers (and have no way to run wires back there anyway). A soundbar+sub seems like the easiest way to get what we want, but I suspect we can get better sound more cheaply with some good bookshelf speakers.
7. If the answer to all of this is "get a receiver, plug all your stuff into it, and then get some decent bookshelf speakers and a sub," what should I be looking for? I would have the same concerns with supported HDMI specs as I do above. Are controls standardized enough now so that I can use the cable box remote to turn on the entire thing, control the volume, switch inputs, and change channels or whatever? If not should I be looking for a same-brand solution for TV and audio?
8. Am I overthinking this? Overthinking things is my jam, so probably yeah, but if everything just plugs and plays with everything else right now I'll happily turn off the brain and buy whatever.

Ultimately while we'd like a cool new TV, we don't have to buy right now so if all of this stuff is more likely to happen next year, we can wait. Online resources so far seem great for everything but rating ease of use and ease of integration with a sound system, but if anyone has recommendations for that I'd love to see those, too. Thanks!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm on the fence between an LG C9 65" and a Vizio P QX 75". The TV will be used mostly for streaming service/youtube/cable with the occasional video game thrown in for good measure. According to the rting distance calculator the ideal TV size for my seating distance is 70" so I'm struggling over going with the bigger size of the Quantum X or the image quality of the OLED C9. Any advice?

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Pottsdam posted:

What do you use for content/apps? A PC? I have the same feeling about smart TVs but I'm wondering about my options. I've thought of using the smart features with Pi-hole + a smart TV blocklist like this one.

Yeah I just use an old PC as an impromptu media box.

I don't really watch much in the way of HDR contents, so configuring windows and using specialized apps hasn't really entered into the picture for me.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

It's far from an elegant solution, but I currently use a Caavo box as a receiver for my C9. It's not flawless - at this point I use it mostly as an HDMI splitter and as an alternative remote for my Apple TV. That said, it handles every HDR format you can throw at it and has a dictation mode (that actually works) to ease text input.

The only input I don't run through it is my Xbox One X, because it's the only thing I have that needs HDMI 2.1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KodiakRS posted:

I'm on the fence between an LG C9 65" and a Vizio P QX 75". The TV will be used mostly for streaming service/youtube/cable with the occasional video game thrown in for good measure.
Iirc the QX doesn't have the adaptive sync options of the LG so it's slightly less futureproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does anybody have a good recommendation for a 5 input (or more I guess) HDMI switch?

I bought this one and it's just garbage
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D6YZXG/

Worked good for about two months. Now it's randomly cutting out the signal. I don't want to buy more trash equipment, but at 5 inputs I don't see any name brands that I trust.

Being future proofed for 4K/HDR would be nice