Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is Dylan really pronounced die-lann or are the commentators loving around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Copter is definitely getting banned in Pioneer.

It has to go.

100% agreed

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ilmucche posted:

It's how he pronounces it specifically, it's not the usual pronunciation.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

urza and hogaak were obviously problematic from a power level perspective but i think plague engineer is the worst design in MH. it just sucks, it efficiently hates out a lot of cool and fun decks while doing very little against powerful decks. hate cards should exist, but the combination of 1) being an incredibly powerful and flexible hate card and 2) being not particularly effective against powerful decks and really, really good against fun tier 2 decks just makes for a miserable design.

side note: if hogaak's text box was exactly the same as it currently is, and the only variable you could change on him was his mana cost, what would be fair?

i'm thinking 7GGB (that is, instead of two hybrid mana, he costs GGB)

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ilmucche posted:

They mentioned earlier they talked to him before the top 8 and he corrected them to that being the correct pronunciation.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

urza and hogaak were obviously problematic from a power level perspective but i think plague engineer is the worst design in MH. it just sucks, it efficiently hates out a lot of cool and fun decks while doing very little against powerful decks. hate cards should exist, but the combination of 1) being an incredibly powerful and flexible hate card and 2) being not particularly effective against powerful decks and really, really good against fun tier 2 decks just makes for a miserable design.

side note: if hogaak's text box was exactly the same as it currently is, and the only variable you could change on him was his mana cost, what would be fair?

i'm thinking 7GGB (that is, instead of two hybrid mana, he costs GGB)

The risk isn't even that bad due to the deathtouch. So it's insane against small creatures and not just a chump blocker against larger ones. Just such careless card design.

freeman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 17, 2019

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Urza in modern is a completely different beast than Oko. Oko comes down, maybe beast withins something or gains you 3 life, but if you don't inquisition or counter it, you can still decay or trophy it or just throw two bolts at it, life goes on. Urza on the other hand makes a 5/5 token and produces a bunch of mana, gives you a sink for that mana and enables an easy instant speed infinite combo right away (that can't be interacted with by kill spells). Oh and it's not affected by stony silence.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That hardened scales v gruul game 5 was fantastic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hogaak might have been OK if it was gold instead of hybrid. Requiring you to have a green creature for Convoke would have stopped the first iterations of that deck that just looped Hogaak over and over with Altar of Dementia and Zombie tokens from Bridge.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

freeman posted:

They mentioned earlier they talked to him before the top 8 and he corrected them to that being the correct pronunciation.

The risk isn't even that bad due to the deathtouch. So it's insane against small creatures and not just a chump blocker against larger ones. Just such careless card design.

Yea i didnt realize how busted the card was until a jund player told me that in additional to ruining anyone dumb enough to run 1-toughness creatures, it was also pretty strong in the mirror

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Top 5 rappers of all time

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

Top 10 anime betrayals

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How did the voracious hydra come in at 5 counters in the last game? There was a nykthos activation which generated 5 mana, shouldn't it have come in at 3, given the other 2 forest played once upon a time?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 17, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ShaneB posted:

Nice

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ShaneB posted:

Beat me to it, good form sir

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Some synapses in my brain fired at the same time and I had this idea for a Pioneer deck, first pass at Vampire Hardened Scales, or I suppose Hardened Fangs.

4 Hardened Scales
4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
3 Bloodthirsty Aerialist
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Champion of Dusk
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Indulgent Aristocrat
2 Metallic Mimic
4 Dusk Legion Zealot

4 Thoughtseize

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Castle Locthwain
4 Llanowar Wastes
10 Swamp

Not much data yet, but my first game against some Izzet deck I got T1 Scales, and was soon attacking with oversized KotEL and Indulgent Aristocrat, attacking for lethal of about 16 when I add 6 power to the board by upticking Sorin and casting a Zealot and saccing it to Aristocrat. Second game I won with simple aggro without Scales.

The Llanowar Wastes are placeholding until I get the tickets for Blooming Marsh. I immediately put 4 Fatal Push in the sideboard, possibly I should rejig things with that and Thoughtseize between the side and the 60.

Abzan seems really greedy but there are some white cards that might be handy, but should probably identify the current weaknesses first.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I didn't know about Hardened Scales, so thank you! Looks like it might be pretty spicy in my mono green stompy pioneer deck.

e: decklist is here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2501532#paper I just started playing in August so this is only my second paper deck.

Maybe take out the two Lovestruck Beasts and the Great Henge and add in 3 Hardened Scales?

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 18, 2019

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Some synapses in my brain fired at the same time and I had this idea for a Pioneer deck, first pass at Vampire Hardened Scales, or I suppose Hardened Fangs.

4 Hardened Scales
4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
3 Bloodthirsty Aerialist
4 Gifted Aetherborn
4 Champion of Dusk
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Indulgent Aristocrat
2 Metallic Mimic
4 Dusk Legion Zealot

4 Thoughtseize

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Castle Locthwain
4 Llanowar Wastes
10 Swamp

Not much data yet, but my first game against some Izzet deck I got T1 Scales, and was soon attacking with oversized KotEL and Indulgent Aristocrat, attacking for lethal of about 16 when I add 6 power to the board by upticking Sorin and casting a Zealot and saccing it to Aristocrat. Second game I won with simple aggro without Scales.

The Llanowar Wastes are placeholding until I get the tickets for Blooming Marsh. I immediately put 4 Fatal Push in the sideboard, possibly I should rejig things with that and Thoughtseize between the side and the 60.

Abzan seems really greedy but there are some white cards that might be handy, but should probably identify the current weaknesses first.

My recollection of Metallic Mimic when it was in standard was that it was pretty underwhelming, and I expect Pioneer to have a higher bar than that. It's a 2/1 vampire for 2 that doesn't pump the existing board, has no keywords on its own, and also gets taken out by any removal package an opponent may be carrying.

I won't pretend to have a solid answer for what to play instead. Vicious Conquistador? Drana? Yahenni? Blossoming Defense? Walking Ballista? I'm also not very excited by Champion of Dusk as the top end

If you can give up your dream of playing vampires I expect there are probably better decks out there for Hardened Scales in BG (Tireless Tracker, Bristling Hydra, snek, Rishkar, etc). If you still want to be tribal there might even be a better deck in the Ixalan Merfolk instead of vampires, with many fish/scales puns for the taking.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Unless you just love brewing, there's not a ton of reason to play a worse version of an established archetype like scales.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I admire OP's gumption and hope they terrorise Pioneer with their brew.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ShaneB posted:

Unless you just love brewing, there's not a ton of reason to play a worse version of an established archetype like scales.

I view it more as an upgrade to vampires, I've only lost with it once so far. Champion of Dusk is excellent, you have to remember I'm seldom paying full price, 3 mana for Sorin, a 4/4 and a reload is good.

I want to keep testing mimics but they could make way for Abrupt Decay or Assassin's trophy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
50-50 split between Decay and rear end Trophy.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sex Weirdo posted:

I didn't know about Hardened Scales, so thank you! Looks like it might be pretty spicy in my mono green stompy pioneer deck.

e: decklist is here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2501532#paper I just started playing in August so this is only my second paper deck.

Maybe take out the two Lovestruck Beasts and the Great Henge and add in 3 Hardened Scales?

Put some planeswalkers in your deck. 2 Heroic interventions isn't going to be enough to save you from board wipes and loads of removal.
U/W tempo is going to just ETB you out of the game, and both G/B scales and mono-green devotion are going to put more power on the board faster than you can.

It's a good solid 1st draft; but, like an other post has already said, you might want to look at en established deck list that is close to yours for starts. I really like to copy a list to see why it works, and then start tweaking to what I enjoy and works for my meta.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

No you stfu dad

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

No you stfu dad

This is a good response actually

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

little munchkin posted:

Yea i didnt realize how busted the card was until a jund player told me that in additional to ruining anyone dumb enough to run 1-toughness creatures, it was also pretty strong in the mirror

Yeah naming Human to gently caress with Bob when it was still played, or lhurgoyf to win combat was pretty good. Also was one of your few good answers to Thopter combo.

In conclusion, I love this card but I understand why it sucks as a Goblins player as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

This is a good response actually

I mean for real though, who hasn't looked at a card that they really like, started to build a deck around it, and then realized they just built an under-powered version of another well-known deck? I do this at least once a year.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I mean for real though, who hasn't looked at a card that they really like, started to build a deck around it, and then realized they just built an under-powered version of another well-known deck? I do this at least once a year.

once a year?

i do this every time i log into arena

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I just did that for this cascade event with lovestruck beast and foulmire knight. G/B adventures goodstuff was enough to get me the wins.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

It’s 4 in the afternoon on Monday here in Korea, and spoilers, they didn’t ban oko.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

meanolmrcloud posted:

It’s 4 in the afternoon on Monday here in Korea, and spoilers, they didn’t ban oko.

They’re still at lunch

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

meanolmrcloud posted:

gonna be real unhappy tomorrow morning when tron is still legal in pauper

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
They are going to ban noxious grasp for being too powerful. Have you see how many of those people are maindecking lately??

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I hope Copter doesn't get a quick ban. It's definitely borderline but I'm fine waiting to see if it can be a pillar of the format without being oppressive.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
they're obviously gonna ban lanowar elves. gotta kill that green mana generation

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think copter is cool for enabling aggressive strategies, so they don't just get wiped out by sweepers

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

gonna be real unhappy tomorrow morning when tron is still legal in pauper

just wait for them to make paupernier, the new format which will fix all of the problems with pauper! unfortunately there will be no fat assed androids.

Bonus posted:

I think copter is cool for enabling aggressive strategies, so they don't just get wiped out by sweepers

when was the last time sweepers were fast enough to be a serious problem for aggro

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

when was the last time sweepers were fast enough to be a serious problem for aggro

this is true. what i probably meant was not sweepers but sweepers along side 3 mana planeswalkers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Smuggler’s Copter probably shouldn’t be banned, but I think they might be upset about it being the two-drop of choice for every single creature strategy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If pioneer bans are seriously going to end up being reactive on a weekly basis... I guess I won't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Building a mono-red Pioneer pile out of old mono-red Standard piles - how many Sunscorched Deserts could I reasonably get away with in this manabase? Would 2 work, or is that stretching my number of Mountains for Castle Embereth a bit thin?

3 Castle Embereth
4 Ramunap Ruins
N Deserts
13-N Mountain

The rest of the deck is 12 One-drops (8 Swiftspear/Soul-Scar, 4 Bomat Courier); 12 cards for an Impact Tremors package (4 Impact Tremors, 4 Dragon Fodder, 4 Hordeling Outburst), 12 Burn Spells, and 4 "cards I like, but are probably sub-optimal" (2 Mizzium Tank, 2 Kari-Zev).