Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
I love lots of their songs but have a special place for Where I End and You Begin, feel like that one's always a little underrated.

other than that you know, Let Down, A Reminder, Fog, Nude, Idioteque, Pyramid Song, A Wolf at the Door, Life in a Glasshouse, How to Disappear Completely, Decks Dark, Talk Show Host, idk I love too many to make a coherent list.

I'd have to invent some dumb science to force a top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Get Free is the best song they have a writing credit on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

90s Shoes posted:

I love lots of their songs but have a special place for Where I End and You Begin, feel like that one's always a little underrated.

other than that you know, Let Down, A Reminder, Fog, Nude, Idioteque, Pyramid Song, A Wolf at the Door, Life in a Glasshouse, How to Disappear Completely, Decks Dark, Talk Show Host, idk I love too many to make a coherent list.

I'd have to invent some dumb science to force a top 10.

Where I End and You Begin is so loving good. Hail has so many great tracks.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BigFactory posted:

Get Free is the best song they have a writing credit on.
The writing credits were never changed so presumably Lana won that battle.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

The writing credits were never changed so presumably Lana won that battle.

Good.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Never forget the band has to pay The Hollies some money whenever they play Creep live

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

pzy posted:

Never forget the band has to pay The Hollies some money whenever they play Creep live
The Hollies didn't write the song originally, and bands don't pay royalties for live performances anyway. That's handled by the venues. But yeah, this guy gets something when they play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HglphdXqMg

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The Hollies rule, more people should steal their music.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Where I End And You Begin suffers from being a gloomy number in the middle of a gloomy run of songs on a gloomy album. It'd stand out far better slapped in the middle of In Rainbows or TKOL or AMSP.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jables88 posted:

Where I End And You Begin suffers from being a gloomy number in the middle of a gloomy run of songs on a gloomy album. It'd stand out far better slapped in the middle of In Rainbows or TKOL or AMSP.

It's absolutely steeped with HTTT energy, though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Essentially recording HTTT live was a very, very good idea. Its lack of polish only contributes to its charm.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jables88 posted:

I'm all about the gloominess though, so HTTT was just great for me in general

HD DAD posted:

Essentially recording HTTT live was a very, very good idea. Its lack of polish only contributes to its charm.

I actually did not know it was recorded live. Huh.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much. They recorded one song a day for two weeks live as a full band. Extremely minimal effects and overdubs. It was supposedly a super quick and easy album to make, and Ed O’Brien quipped that it was the only album they didn’t want to kill each other after making. Lol

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The way 2+2=5 starts is probably one of my favorite album openers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Thom's too, apparently!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite is Reckoner. The vocals are just....perfect, it's hard to explain.

It's a beautiful song.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s such a good song it made me like the movie Choke

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's absolutely transcendent.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm listening to HTTT in my car again as I drive around for work and I'm always floored by how dreamy and beautiful Sail to the Moon is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HTTT is wonderful. I didn't know it was recorded live either, but that just makes me like it even more!

asecondduck posted:

2+2=5 into Sit Down. Stand Up. remains one of my favorite album openers ever.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Reckoner was the last time a song gave me chills. I still remember going into that song expecting to hear the "Pulled Apart By Horses" version but instead being treated to that. It's like having a good cry in a warm rainstorm.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 16, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was this posted yet? Because it's beautiful. Just Thom and a piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTORzFlPd8

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Odd Mutant posted:

Reckoner was the last time a song gave me chills. I still remember going into that song expecting to hear the "Pulled Apart By Horses" version but instead being treated to that. It's like having a good cry in a warm rainstorm.

I still really like how the original Reckoner riff appears during the outro, just muted.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Pretty much. They recorded one song a day for two weeks live as a full band. Extremely minimal effects and overdubs. It was supposedly a super quick and easy album to make, and Ed O’Brien quipped that it was the only album they didn’t want to kill each other after making. Lol

Hasn't Ed also said (I think during an interview with him and Thom) that if they could do it again they'd cut a lot of tracks from HTTT? I can understand wanting it to be perfect but no matter what version you end up with it's going to be missing a lot of songs that are favorites for people and after hearing all the great b-sides from the rest of their albums I wish they'd show less refrain and put more of their recorded songs on releases. There's no universe where TKOL is a worse album for having those b-sides on the tracklisting.

AMSP is missing some great tracks as well. Cut a Hole juxtaposed with True Love Waits would have been good, especially given how beautifully Thom was singing it live.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have a cut-down playlist of HTTT (46 mins) that I generally listen to instead of the real album, and a separate cut-down version of Com Lag (29 mins) that includes the tracks I took out of HTTT. There's nothing wrong with the original HTTT, but I like making custom playlists v:shobon:v

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

A Wolf at the Door is really underrated, that's my strongest opinion on HTTT.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

This makes me feel so old, but despite how much I'm on board with unconventional / electronic / auteur music, I still can't really figure out how anyone will ever make it just as exciting as live instruments in a concert setting. #changemymind

A Flying Lotus gig may change your mind (it did mine)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Man I can't believe I haven't given much attention to the tracks on the second disc of the rerelease of OK Computer. Some of these songs are so drat good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of unconventional music in a live setting, here's Thom performing Bloom on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmL835q9To

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ed O'Brien did a solo thing, and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xefWbfWUbrQ

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Is Ed the least appreciated Radiohead?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

shoulda called it radio-ed imo

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Barry Foster posted:

Is Ed the least appreciated Radiohead?

Despite knowing he's made some pretty important / creative contributions, I definitely unfairly dismiss him in my head. Probably because it's so clear what each of the others are doing and because Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood are, y'know, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood. It's really cool seeing what he does when left to his own devices.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'm pretty certain that I've seen everyone in the band that isn't Thom or Johnny referred to repeatedly as their 'secret weapon'.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

blossommirage posted:

A Wolf at the Door is really underrated, that's my strongest opinion on HTTT.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Radiohead uploads entire discography to YouTube.

No excuse to not have listened to Pablo Honey now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/radiohead/status/1219198732098510848?s=20

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
finally, a place worth publicly masturbating in

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 21, 2020

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Looks like just all the loose links on the site in one place.

Oh look THERE's the high quality version of There There
https://radiohead.com/library/#httt/there-there