Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

ah man, if you're new, you should build a grid of foundations. so much easier to build on.

my second base is so much cleaner, though i dont have a bus system yet.

about to make a third base through the use of trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

swampcow posted:

ah man, if you're new, you should build a grid of foundations. so much easier to build on.

my second base is so much cleaner, though i dont have a bus system yet.

about to make a third base through the use of trucks.

Not building on set foundations in order to build a circular hub was kinda the entire goal Bobulus was going for, my goone :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I got distracted paving the world. One single grid to rule them all.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I like how I carefully made the truck route, then the autopilot just tears rear end over the landscape. Had to tweak the truck stop areas because the truck would get stuck in places.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I gave up on the truck and just used conveyors instead. The amount of effort I needed to put in to tweek the terrain for the truck just didn't work.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
The autopilot is fun but it seems that most of the time it's just easier and more reliable to use a conveyor or a train depending on the distance

Couple quirks that I noticed:

You have to record a path that is a full circuit (i.e. ends where it starts) because the autopilot will try to drive directly from the last node to the first, rather than driving its route in reverse

The recording doesn't record whether you're reversing or whatever, it's just dropping waypoints as you drive, so you can't have your vehicle back out of a truck station for example

Not sure about this one but when you are very far away from the vehicle the game seems to just simulate it driving pretty loosely, it doesn't get stuck or anything; also, if an autopilot vehicle falls into a pit it will eventually be teleported back to solid land

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Honestly it should be possible to just define a spline of some sort to do the truck pathfinding. Show the whole curve and let people drag control points around. And allow reuse of a path.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Pikachu posted:

The autopilot is fun but it seems that most of the time it's just easier and more reliable to use a conveyor or a train depending on the distance

Couple quirks that I noticed:

You have to record a path that is a full circuit (i.e. ends where it starts) because the autopilot will try to drive directly from the last node to the first, rather than driving its route in reverse

The recording doesn't record whether you're reversing or whatever, it's just dropping waypoints as you drive, so you can't have your vehicle back out of a truck station for example

Not sure about this one but when you are very far away from the vehicle the game seems to just simulate it driving pretty loosely, it doesn't get stuck or anything; also, if an autopilot vehicle falls into a pit it will eventually be teleported back to solid land

can you have multiple trucks with their own routes? i made a second set of truck stops last night and i couldn't bring up the second tractors vehicle menu. maynlbe a bug though

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I gave up on the truck and just used conveyors instead. The amount of effort I needed to put in to tweek the terrain for the truck just didn't work.

i like the truck because it's cool to see this "analog" autonomous thing ripping up grass while doing its duty. also i lolled hard the first time it ran me over

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

it's annoying how big the truck stop is though. wish it were more vertical than horizontal

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I built a multi-bay shipping area for a centralized iron smelter that was pushing three full T4 belts of ingots; one stop for each belt.

The stops are stacked vertically with access ramps; by the third one the ramp was comically huge, and the structure looks extremely dumb from a distance. At least the smelter building looks appropriately like a big ugly industrial block, its shipping station looks like a sawn-off chunk of pyramid.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This guy on the satisfactory reddit is taking the circular placement to a much greater extreme than I did, and it looks cool:

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

swampcow posted:

can you have multiple trucks with their own routes? i made a second set of truck stops last night and i couldn't bring up the second tractors vehicle menu. maynlbe a bug though

yeah you can, I've had the same issue with the menu not coming up, you just have to either save and reload or reboot the game (I forget which)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Pikachu posted:

yeah you can, I've had the same issue with the menu not coming up, you just have to either save and reload or reboot the game (I forget which)

I have to quit and reboot the game when that happens. Kind of annoying but eventually all trucks are replaced by trains.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Bug Squash posted:

I have to quit and reboot the game when that happens. Kind of annoying but eventually all trucks are replaced by trains.

:agreed:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVLCkcyN6oc

This looks pretty drat rad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Truly designed for spacefaring engineers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I hadn't seen the stupid Tesla thing this is making fun of, and was very confused.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, they've finally started showing us little teasers about update 3. Here's what they've shown so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhcBjLjLjUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCRj-t-cJA

Their current plan is showing a teaser every thursday, then a video explaining a bit on friday. The first video is about an in game shop for cosmetic stuff, and no need to be worried, they've already explaining that it's not microtransactions.

The second one got me more interested though, some kind of resource sink, possibly to get credits for the store? Other then that they've talked a bit about the release date in their last video. It's going to come out on a tuesday, most probably without much of an announcement beforehand as they are looking at the state of release week by week. It's been long enough that a few extra weeks doesn't really bother me much.

Oh, they also mentioned that save files will work! They might break your factory because of changed production lines, but they will load at least. I can't wait.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPa9wSimOiA

Another teaser.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit you hack frauds where are my computers and networks!

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
So how do people handle getting resources to your manufacturing areas? It seems like if I want to setup a new production line, I can build it near a central factory and then belt resources in from all over but its a huge pain and you end up with belts of either bars or ore running all over the map. On the other hand, if I want to build a production line near the resource mines, they often don't produce enough resources to efficiently set up a line of production.

This is in the early game before I can drop a mk2 or mk3 miner, what do other people do when setting up early/mid game production like heavy steel plates or rotors?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just place smelters next to whatever is being mined and then have trucks pick the ingots or whatever and deliver them to a giant storage building next to my central factory or a secondary site.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I smelt the ores on-site (or as near as possible) and conveyor the ingots out to sub-factories.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

I smelt the ores on-site (or as near as possible) and conveyor the ingots out to sub-factories.

Back Hack posted:

I just place smelters next to whatever is being mined and then have trucks pick the ingots or whatever and deliver them to a giant storage building next to my central factory or a secondary site.

Do you do it this way just to save space at your actual base? It can't be about efficiency of transport, since one iron/copper ore smelts into one ingot.
EDIT: pretty happy to see wall power plugs in that video

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 31, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

kanonvandekempen posted:

Do you do it this way just to save space at your actual base? It can't be about efficiency of transport, since one iron/copper ore smelts into one ingot.

There is also the benefit of factories at your resource nodes are generally far enough away to be unloaded, meaning they’re much less strain on your computer.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It saves space, simplifies production, and takes some weight off the CPU. When you're using advanced recipes for steel and such, it simplifies it even more.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Update 4 lets you subcontract out resource production and waste disposal to other players' game worlds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wrr posted:

Update 4 lets you subcontract out resource production and waste disposal to other players' game worlds.

Why does nuclear waste keep getting dropped onto my base?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cojawfee posted:

Why does nuclear waste keep getting dropped onto my base?

Its those drat power gamers taking advantage of default buy prices on the market! You gotta set your buy price lower than the default 1.000 coffee's, the going rate for nuclear waste disposal is 0.001 coffee's per unit, because its still absolutely worthless until update 5. I'm still annoyed about how slugs are floating at a 69.420 coffee's due to the item duplication glitch! Where do my slug hunting profit margins go!?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is getting way too meta.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

My main factory keeps changing in design and scope as I go up in the tiers, while my mining sites don't, so rather than trying to redesign my factory to accommodate a million different belts being pipped in from a million locations, I just have to change the routes slightly with my trucks.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I just have a million different belts that form a spaghetti network so vile, twisted, and non-euclidean that Cthulhu itself would shake its head. :negative:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I want to build a base that is entirely trains.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just bus everything, but everything in like, 2/3 levels. If I need more product I just split it, if that lane gets too used I just use the lane above/below.

Takes forever to set up, though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bussing is efficient but also a crime. Spaghetti all day every day.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The 3D aspect of Satisfactory makes it possible to reach levels of spaghetti that Factorio players couldn't even dream about

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I tried this a little bit via a friend, back before they added nuclear and trains.

Due to the 3d aspect, it seems very much more my jam than Factorio (though I am waiting for Factorio 1.0 anxiously).

My one issue is that it's on the epic games store. Have they said anything about it coming to steam at all? :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ymgve posted:

The 3D aspect of Satisfactory makes it possible to reach levels of spaghetti that Factorio players couldn't even dream about

I find I actually end up with less spaghetti because I'm not as space constrained. The grid nature of Factorio encourages everything being as tight as possible and gives a kind of ordered chaos. Satisfactory spaghetti just ends up being "go straight up, over the obstacle and back down" unless you're intentionally trying to make compact designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

I find I actually end up with less spaghetti because I'm not as space constrained. The grid nature of Factorio encourages everything being as tight as possible and gives a kind of ordered chaos. Satisfactory spaghetti just ends up being "go straight up, over the obstacle and back down" unless you're intentionally trying to make compact designs.

This has changed a lot with later patches though, before we had conveyor lifts "go straight up" wasn't quite as simple. Getting 5 belts of wire out of the 5th floor in an aesthetically pleasing manner was quite an issue back then.

I do kinda miss corkscrew lifts though, while they were a total pain to build they were so very satisfying to see in action.