Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He hasn't tweeted about Louisiana since the polls closed, a sure sign that he's turbo-mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

For the people who get how inter-party politics work better than I do: what would happen if Trump died between now and 2020? Logistically, Pence steps in, but what happens to the impeachment hearing? We know Pence is involved/implicated through all the stuff Giuliani is admitting to, and I have to assume they can't just transfer the investigation to a new person. Without a hearing, what happens to the Republicans next election? Would they try and re-cast Trump as a martyr to the cause and convince both the die-hards and the "moderates" to show up?
The scandal almost certainly dies unless Pence is directly implicated.

For the presidential race, it's a little less certain. Pence would be the obvious heir, but he's not particularly popular nor likely to be favored against the Democratic nominee. I think there's a lot of potential for someone else to try for the nomination. It's really hard to say in a hypothetical.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ague Proof posted:

He hasn't tweeted about Louisiana since the polls closed, a sure sign that he's turbo-mad.

Is that a Mykonos cat?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

An article in which Obama says people want things that make sense and in the same sentence calls universal healthcare "Crazy stuff" and continues to be a coward.

quote:

Obama has largely refrained from publicly opining on the Democratic primary, which has exposed a growing rift between an ascendant progressive wing of the party and old-guard centrists like his former vice president, Joe Biden.

But on Friday he said he felt compelled to weigh in because some of the loudest and most strident voices, particularly on social media, aren’t representative of where most in the party are at. Immigration and health care are two issues he cited as cases where Democratic candidates are out of sync with public sentiment.

“There are a lot of persuadable voters and there are a lot of Democrats out there who just want to see things make sense. They just don’t want to see crazy stuff. They want to see things a little more fair, they want to see things a little more just. And how we approach that I think will be important,” Obama said.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 17, 2019

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

:lol: he deleted this tweet

Trump is his own Minitrue

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Is the whole "it's actually illegal for Trump to delete his tweets!" talking point an actual thing, or was that just a #Resistance "ah, THIS will be what finally takes him down!" post-election pipe dream

i was just wondering that, and i can't remember the exact outcome - they're definitely presidential archive materials (unless it was, like, just 'editing' to fix a typo or something) but I think it's fine as long as Twitter has a backup copy or something? I don't remember the can / can't delete presidential communications for non-archive reasons part very well either.

edit:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-02-19/donald-trumps-tweets-are-now-presidential-records

- the archive thing is accurate
- the admin has been instructed to save deleted tweets, but it's not particularly enforceable at this time (lol at president buttigieg sanders suing donald trump to recover deleted tweets)
- independent archival is nominally insufficient
- previous presidents (...was twitter around under dubya?) used a system to auto-archive all their posted tweets

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 17, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1196138715053203457?s=21

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think you mean Adeptus Astartes. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deptfordx posted:

I think you mean Adeptus Astartes. :colbert:

All the anti-xeno zealots are in ICE though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

People don't want things to be fair or just, they just want them to be a little less unfair and unjust.

Actual fairness and justice would be an absurd extravagance.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Is the whole "it's actually illegal for Trump to delete his tweets!" talking point an actual thing, or was that just a #Resistance "ah, THIS will be what finally takes him down!" post-election pipe dream

Both, really. He's not supposed to do it, and it, like everything else he does and is not supposed to do, might be and usually is endorsed as the straw that will break the camel's back.

I'm not really sure if Obama's trying to endorse Biden or what specifically he is trying to do aside from minimizing the rising stars of the party.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

If you want people to survive the long slogging poo poo fight that is dragging this country left one rep at a time, maybe don't immediately come in less than a day after a real victory in a place where there was a strong chance of defeat and poo poo all over the good feels that are going to sustain them in the fight to come.

Yes, Edwards is a succ dem. No one's saying he isn't. Let people be loving happy for two minutes. It's important for all of our mental health to savor the small victories when we get them. And if you can't because he's too much of a succ dem then... maybe just don't quote posts about it and let other people have their moment.

Mental batteries need recharging. There's a reason people are dropping out of this thread because of mental wellness.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's quite simple and logically consistent: anyone who will show up to testify is disloyal, period, unless explicitly allowed to as part of their obstruction attempts

so basically Sondland, who has already lied repeatedly and clearly had the blessing of Trump, is the only person who has testified without disloyalty

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

whoa whoa whoa there buddy, I don't want things TOO fair or just. I want them a LITTLE more fair and just. Just a bit. Not too much!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dammerung posted:

I'm not really sure if Obama's trying to endorse Biden or what specifically he is trying to do aside from minimizing the rising stars of the party.

If the big money and the party establishment are breaking away from Biden at this point I would think that he's laying the groundwork for endorsing Pete, probably before South Carolina. Pete is the kind of rising star that the party would want as their new Obama now that people like Beto have completely flamed out.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

overmind2000 posted:

If the big money and the party establishment are breaking away from Biden at this point I would think that he's laying the groundwork for endorsing Pete, probably before South Carolina. Pete is the kind of rising star that the party would want as their new Obama now that people like Beto have completely flamed out.

Are they? I've heard that Pete's doing unexpectedly well in Iowa, I didn't realize that the momentum had shifted against Biden that much.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gort posted:

People don't want things to be fair or just, they just want them to be a little less unfair and unjust.

Actual fairness and justice would be an absurd extravagance.

I doubt it’s what he meant, but in general most people do prioritize “fairness to me” over “fairness to you.” The only time FYGM is even potentially defeatable is when a huge mass of people are on the outside looking in on it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mistaya posted:

If you want people to survive the long slogging poo poo fight that is dragging this country left one rep at a time, maybe don't immediately come in less than a day after a real victory in a place where there was a strong chance of defeat and poo poo all over the good feels that are going to sustain them in the fight to come.

Yes, Edwards is a succ dem. No one's saying he isn't. Let people be loving happy for two minutes. It's important for all of our mental health to savor the small victories when we get them. And if you can't because he's too much of a succ dem then... maybe just don't quote posts about it and let other people have their moment.

Mental batteries need recharging. There's a reason people are dropping out of this thread because of mental wellness.

I agree, Obama’s comments were distasteful.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

From my understanding it's illegal, but it's such the least of his crimes it kinda flies under the radar. He has admitted to and done so many crimes publicly that that the Ukraine investigation is very, very narrow. I think the fire hose of crimes is so strong that the dems have decided to choose this particular Ukraine one. I don't agree, I think they should nail him for all of it, but I understand that might not be feasible due to the gigantic amount of crimes.

edit: Of course the answer is no politician should be on twitter because that is the stupidest thing ever, but I guess we're far past that point.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 17, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

Recent presidents don’t really endorse people, outside of family members, even their Vice President until the nomination is p much a done deal. I don’t see Obama lining up to buck the tradition.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dammerung posted:

Are they? I've heard that Pete's doing unexpectedly well in Iowa, I didn't realize that the momentum had shifted against Biden that much.

The big money donors are definitely abandoning him and he hasn't been getting the glowing press coverage he received during the summer, that's going to Warren and Pete. People like Bloomberg wouldn't have entered the race if they thought that Biden had it sewn up.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Trabisnikof posted:

I agree, Obama’s comments were distasteful.

He sounded kind of burned out and cynical, which I guess makes sense.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

For the people who get how inter-party politics work better than I do: what would happen if Trump died between now and 2020? Logistically, Pence steps in, but what happens to the impeachment hearing? We know Pence is involved/implicated through all the stuff Giuliani is admitting to, and I have to assume they can't just transfer the investigation to a new person. Without a hearing, what happens to the Republicans next election? Would they try and re-cast Trump as a martyr to the cause and convince both the die-hards and the "moderates" to show up?

Pence steps in but the party will fracture overnight because there is no clear “leader” to carry on Trumpism.

Pence is an empty suite creep who will have the establishment and evangelicals behind him, but I doubt the MAGA base accepts him.

Trumps children are idiots and will be a non factor

You will see a bunch of “never trumpers” come pouring out of their holes and fighting publicity with MAGA wing. Perhaps Mitt Romney leads this faction.

And the MAGA/white supremacist wing would be back-stabbing each other to see who the next one true “leader” of Trumpism will be.

It would be a glorious mess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

yronic heroism posted:

Recent presidents don’t really endorse people, outside of family members, even their Vice President until the nomination is p much a done deal. I don’t see Obama lining up to buck the tradition.

Yeah, Obama ain't doing poo poo publicly until it's solid. Everyone wants to be on the winning side, and no one like Obama is going to go all in on a primary candidate.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196121686728466434
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196148537525977088
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196153477099085824
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196155347117002752
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196108650584125441
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1196097712925691906

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Prester Jane posted:

I would like to invite each poster who insisted that the child separation program had either been ended or severely curtailed to reconsider some things- because migrant child detensions are up 42% year-over-year

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1195777341127090177?s=19

The horror you are reading above is what the wise centrist Nancy Pelosi chose to enable rather than interrupt a long weekend. In return the Trump Administration compromised by promising to keep the public updated on how many children died in custody.(They didn't)

God drat Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer for not taking a stand against this.

But but but Obama had some buses!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone didn't have their nap this morning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

yronic heroism posted:

I could see him explicitly coming out against Bernie if he looked likely to take the primary.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hahaha, a draft dodger with "bone spurs" is a hero to the military

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1196115902481289217

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/heerjeet/status/1196154172371943424?s=21

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These aren't genuine Trump tweets.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Yeah, "warfighter" is a preferred propaganda term by the US military industrial complex. You see official army stuff use it all the time, you see project development names use it and so on.

It's supposed to sound "more badass" than soldier. It's a lot like warrior, but I guess an even more dumbed-down primal tribal thing. Other militaries have soldiers. America has warfighters. It's not supposed to sound modern, it's supposed to sound primitive and project a tribal war mentality rather than "employee of the military". You're supposed to think of war paint, oo-rah chants and such. It works really well on a certain audience.

It is also particularly American. I've never seen a different country use that term. If the description of primal/tribal sounds racist, it's because I think there is a deep racist element there. The American military absolutely incorporates a lot of native American appropriation, except they're appropriating a racist projection in the first place. Examples: many US weapons and vehicles are named things like Tomahawk, Apache, Comanche. Popularity of "mohawk" hairstyle among US troops in WW2 and Vietnam.

I guess it looks a lot like I'm reading too much into it, but I've seen enough facist soldier-worship types and generals for whom war is the manly version of a Barbie tea party set that I really believe it.

Holy poo poo this fan fic garbage.

In the US military the term "Soldier" is considered a proper title (which is why it's capitalized according to the DoD style guide) which is given to US Army personnel. "Warfighter" is a service-agnostic way of saying combat personnel. It also became widely adopted as a popular alternative to "warrior" when trying to be all rah-rah, in the army at least, because it sounds more professional. Warfighter is a dispassionate job description: people who fight wars; instead of invoking the tribal/violent/bloodthirsty connotations "warrior" does.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1glitch0 posted:

edit: Of course the answer is no politician should be on twitter because that is the stupidest thing ever, but I guess we're far past that point.

I don't want to live in a world without Representative Ocasio-Cortez's Twitter dunks, though!

overmind2000 posted:

The big money donors are definitely abandoning him and he hasn't been getting the glowing press coverage he received during the summer, that's going to Warren and Pete. People like Bloomberg wouldn't have entered the race if they thought that Biden had it sewn up.

That's pretty rough. He really did look like the politician to beat for a little while.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'm not watching that for the fear it's going to be something so dumb it enrages me. Let me guess, she says something stupid and now morons are swooning for her

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jarmak posted:

Holy poo poo this fan fic garbage.

In the US military the term "Soldier" is considered a proper title (which is why it's capitalized according to the DoD style guide) which is given to US Army personnel. "Warfighter" is a service-agnostic way of saying combat personnel. It also became widely adopted as a popular alternative to "warrior" when trying to be all rah-rah, in the army at least, because it sounds more professional. Warfighter is a dispassionate job description: people who fight wars; instead of invoking the tribal/violent/bloodthirsty connotations "warrior" does.

Warfighter sounds like a loving 4 year old came up with it and "Warrior" is a person who fights wars

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not watching that for the fear it's going to be something so dumb it enrages me. Let me guess, she says something stupid and now morons are swooning for her

She mostly discussed concerns that the State Department had regarding Hunter Biden and the provision of Javelin missiles to Ukraine under the Trump administration. Nothing particularly earth-shaking.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

He still doesn't understand tariffs. Like, I would have thought that maybe, just maybe someone might have loving explained it to him in some way that makes sense to his dense as gently caress moronic self, but no.

Nothing but a stupid fat idiot, through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Translation: "I'm bribing farmers again so they don't turn on me."