Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ErrEff posted:

Much of WC3 was outsourced anyway. It's always been a relatively small project as Blizzard's actual staff and resouces are concerned.

Who was WC3 outsourced to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Who was WC3 outsourced to?

Lemon Sky Studios.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ErrEff posted:

I personally don't think the updated character models fit into the world of WC3 at all. They're too clay-sculpted and the textures too realistic. It clashes real hard with the flat terrain and otherwise simplistic map geometry.

Yep. The new art direction on the models is jacked. That cartoony style is part of the charm of the setting and having those new models played kind of straight doesn't fit with the aesthetic at all

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Those goofy rear end jaws were amazing. Warcraft was not a serious series and it never should be.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I think the new models look really good and I'm excited to play :shrug:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think the models are fine but the 3d portraits are dire.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS
Was this discussed here? I can't remember and can't find it if so. The story won't be retconned after all.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/1/20944518/warcraft-3-reforged-story-retcon-world-of-warcraft-wow

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

genovefa fedelmid posted:

Was this discussed here? I can't remember and can't find it if so. The story won't be retconned after all.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/1/20944518/warcraft-3-reforged-story-retcon-world-of-warcraft-wow

They backed off on both that, and re-recording old dialogue. This doesn't mean anything about not having new dialogue for things like new unit skins (see: Female Death Knight) or, hopefully, things like Anasterian and Thalorien's cameos. They have also confirmed that, while the story will not be retconned, levels will still be getting a redesign, with further confirmation that some levels' redesign will be more extensive than others.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

BlazetheInferno posted:

They backed off on both that, and re-recording old dialogue. This doesn't mean anything about not having new dialogue for things like new unit skins (see: Female Death Knight) or, hopefully, things like Anasterian and Thalorien's cameos. They have also confirmed that, while the story will not be retconned, levels will still be getting a redesign, with further confirmation that some levels' redesign will be more extensive than others.

I wonder if that means they're going to update the Northrend and Outland missions to reflect the new environments that got introduced in WoW?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if that means they're going to update the Northrend and Outland missions to reflect the new environments that got introduced in WoW?
I sure hope so! Outland remodeled to be of the WoW would be beautiful! (and be no more unplayable on my machine than at present)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hellfire Peninsula was designed to basically look exactly like war3 outland anyways, but it would be really cool if they included some other zones from the wow expansions.

Like, that mission where Arthas burns the ships could be Borean Tundra, and you could probably put one of the Outland maps in Zangarmarsh and the others in Shadowmoon Valley?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Zaphod42 posted:

Hellfire Peninsula was designed to basically look exactly like war3 outland anyways, but it would be really cool if they included some other zones from the wow expansions.

Like, that mission where Arthas burns the ships could be Borean Tundra, and you could probably put one of the Outland maps in Zangarmarsh and the others in Shadowmoon Valley?

I think the last blood elf mission has you assaulting Magtheridon in the Black Temple, which is in Shadowmoon Valley.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Oh a bunch of posts, maybe there's gameplay or a release date.

Lol.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Well aren't you entitled? What next, are you going to tell me you were expecting something resembling a game a little under two months to their released by date? :rolleyes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rhonne posted:

I think the last blood elf mission has you assaulting Magtheridon in the Black Temple, which is in Shadowmoon Valley.

Yes.... that's why I said that :cheeky:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Oh a bunch of posts, maybe there's gameplay or a release date.

Lol.

There's a public beta, there's gameplay all over youtube the gently caress are you on about?

Also, I remember when you'd get probated for posting this. Nobody cares.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a public beta, there's gameplay all over youtube the gently caress are you on about?

Theres a beta featuring two races out of 4 that crashes frequently. I think the guy laughing at the lack of meaningful development or announcement has it on straighter than you.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Theres a beta featuring two races out of 4 that crashes frequently. I think the guy laughing at the lack of meaningful development or announcement has it on straighter than you.

Three races, actually.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Itt, a few posts about not successfully being able to play a game or get past a battle, no uploaded videos, no release date, rollbacks of previously announced features.

The beta is $100 buy in (or wherever) and not public.

Sorry my blaise post trigger you, but you should be thankful at the lack of a game, given your delicate nature. try losing to towers, 5 games in a row, :getin:

Edit: The WC3 thread managed to troll the Dota thread attempts so hard that Dota was banned as a topic from games for YEARS as well; ty mata & timg. Half the fun of WC3 is silly stuff like towering and massing tanks to piss off your opponent were actually legit.

The game was super trolling friendly. Now it's just a broken mess :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Sorry my blaise post trigger you, but you should be thankful at the lack of a game, given your delicate nature

:goonsay: loving lmao

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Oh you pointed out my post was dumb as poo poo? Triggered much?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Edit: The WC3 thread managed to troll the Dota thread attempts so hard that Dota was banned as a topic from games for YEARS as well; ty mata & timg. Half the fun of WC3 is silly stuff like towering and massing tanks to piss off your opponent were actually legit.
The dota thread is mostly troll posts to this day. Or people dispensing inaccurate advice. I thought it was a forum conspiracy so I posted deliberately bad things there too, to fit in.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2019

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
I had to download a 13 GB client, and I forgot to copy my CustomKeys.txt so it was mouse only, but other than that I found some similarities between this brand new reforged experience and the game we played 10 years ago https://clips.twitch.tv/GlutenFreeBraveMinkFeelsBadMan

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

love bnet 2.0 style chat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Good loving god that is impressively ugly, it's somewhere between WC2 and 3.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

loving classic

we're playing the reforged client (billions of wow noobs) but with hd=0 graphics (no need to modify our connectomes)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I loving miss playing WarCraft III. *infinite :qq:*

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Man, the last thing I thought I'd see in this thread is loving clan towa still towering people 17 years later and building a neural net that will probably be highperching noobs long after we're all dead. I love it.

I'll need to find the old screenshots I have of getting thrashed by you guys in 3v3 RT way back when.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

we got the rest of clan towa to "preorder" and now we're playing full on 4s AT games. but it allows AT vs RT, or i guess more complicated than that since you can queue 4s together as a group of 2 or 3. anyway it's wonderful

so this afternoon we had this sick close game on the dogshit map "Feralas". i mean look at this chat:

we were playing 3s-in-4s, and our pubbie (purple) wasn't happy with us. they got us right down to the edge but some late interventions changed up the landscape. here's the vid

after that we have a less strenuous but totally silly game on market square, with a full 4 stack. check out all these numbers:

there are some fully ridiculous teamfights where our heroes clean out entire 4s armies without losses. they were bad players and that's part of the fun. here's the vid

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
The future https://clips.twitch.tv/VictoriousSullenVanillaHeyGuys

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Very good towerdives this sesh
I'm playing with the reforged graphics so I can't really tell what heroes are on the screen or which players they belong to, but I'm having fun.

Mata fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 17, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warcraft III: Towers will win 100% we win, stay and see

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Are peeps leaving because they're bored or got ground out of all their resources?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Are peeps leaving because they're bored or got ground out of all their resources?

Typically when players encounter being cheesed in a way they can't beat people get angry and quit. Often accompanied by posting angry messages at the dude(s) who caused them to rage quit.

In all seriousness though, I've never understood how people get that mad at a game.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Lose their big army, realize they lost so much gold to upkeep they can't instantly remake it, and now our heroes are high level enough to take them head on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hate the new paladin portrait on an extreme level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hate the new paladin portrait on an extreme level.

He looks like a cop, which I guess is appropriate, but still

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
for the small price of $4.99 you can just pick a different paladin portrait you like :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s a game of economics for sure. It’s also an interesting thought process.

The difference between buying a unit at low upkeep versus high upkeep is 2.5x the gold ticks.

A mine has, what, 15,000 gold? A footman costs 135 gold. At low upkeep a full mine can produce 111 footmen. At high upkeep you can produce only 44.

The normal pubbie builds up and then sends off a large army, or just sits at high upkeep.

If you wanted to drain a full gold mine that’s been mined at high upkeep, you only need to destroy 22 demolishers (68 at low upkeep). The juiciest quarry, frost wyrms, cost 385. That’s only 15 frost wyrms (38 at low upkeep) to fully drain a gold mine.

There’s really no better way to drain an enemy’s resources than to just hero harass around a wall of towers while sitting at low upkeep. They basically HAVE to build up a huge army at high upkeep to take on a wall of towers. Those dragon hawks with the aerial shackles are stupid good value.

It’s honestly mathematically a really good strategy. The problem is that a pubbie will build 2 towers and they die instantly to a late-game push and say “towers are poo poo” and then lol. Or they think “well siege weapons are obvious counters” but not really since heroes take them out so easily.

So the pubbie will sit at a point where they can’t push with regular units because the towers mulch them, but then they build siege engines at high upkeep because they’re not gonna destroy their army to free up upkeep. They’ll just park a huge army outside the towers’ range, and then build a bunch of siege.

The way to beat the tower strategy is really either completely crushing them with a stupid-huge army (and a good amount of Dhawks for cloud) or bleeding the defenders through hero/tower sniping.

I bet sorceresses casting invisibility on a blood mage with or without anti-magic shell would be a good way to sneakily murder a tower cluster.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's beatable, it's just extremely painful. I eventually gave in and joined the towa fun and it's great, but I had some clan I played teams in and had a mixed (mostly losing)record vs it; a 2 tinker + archmage rush opening works well.

Late game it's some hilarious form of torture, if your opponent owns 3/4 of the map and it's resources, you done gonna lose, but some people never give up.

edit: preordered to get the beta. I'm glad there's rts.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
There are a lot of good reasons to quit at every stage when you're playing against towers.
But here's my tip if you meet us: experience and items are more important than gold, and if you fall behind in hero strength with no creep camps left, there's no amount of gold in the world that will get you back into the game. Most of our opponents stay in the game until we roll up to their armies with our tri-heroes and convert their entire army to an exp tome without losing anything.
Siege units, cloud, frost wyrms, chims, etc all have cost-effective counter-play if you use the right spells, but if the enemy team uses their army to creep all the red camps and now they have a level 5 tc with a blink dagger and 1500 health while we've got trashy 3/1/1 heroes that die and increase the enemy exp lead as soon as they step outside the towers, the game is lost.