Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JudgeX posted:

i love Book but yeah gene wolf really doesnt think much of women, i'm not interested in reading his other books b/c of it. him writing a protagonist with so many complexes w/r/t women is mind bogglingly ironic.

He wrote fiction about a deeply unjust and corrupt society, that does not mean he shared those views personally.

The world of Urth has regressed to a level similar to the middle ages, and you seem surprised that it's a deeply patriarchal society.

E: Severian is a horrible person and an unreliable narrator. The story is told through his eyes and his bias, including how he justifies to himself the horrible things he does and the people around him do.

KozmoNaut has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Nov 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Or, and hear me out on this, facial recognition could make your commute MUCH harder.

I mean, you're already trying to get to your 9-5, the last thing you need is cops chasing you, dogs, a manhunt, having to hide, federal authorities being called in, a dragnet, transit lockdowns...

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

hot extremely scifi trick from the subway of future city of Prague

you just don't "check in" at a gate at all, you just are assumed to have a ticket or a permit and there are random intermittent checks by human inspectors on the trains; I take them 2+ times daily and typically end up inspected about once every 2 months or so

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

things like the wild are simply going to stop existing probably within our lifetimes...

guess we should hit the national parks while there's still time

https://twitter.com/rafaelfrederico/status/1195806108230787072

https://twitter.com/weather_wa/status/1195672521674149889

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Man Musk posted:

things like the wild are simply going to stop existing probably within our lifetimes...

on the bright side if trees go extinct and leave us with zero nature biomes, that drastically cuts down on the number of tilesets we'll need to model our hellworld for depressing RPGs.

[suburban/urban/megastructure/industrial/farm/coastal/etc] in various states of [pristinedystopia/slummish/bombedruins/totaldesolation]

Needing no vegetation you can just make a generic fractal wasteland maybe including small procedural buildings to model the rest of the world, without having "were there palm trees in Finland?" debates

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Nov 17, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/amandaklonsky1/status/1195453132974768128

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

silentsnack posted:

on the bright side if trees go extinct and leave us with zero nature biomes, that drastically cuts down on the number of tilesets we'll need to model our hellworld for depressing RPGs.

[suburban/urban/megastructure/industrial/farm/coastal/etc] in various states of [pristinedystopia/slummish/bombedruins/totaldesolation]

Needing no vegetation you can just make a generic fractal wasteland maybe including small procedural buildings to model the rest of the world, without having "were there palm trees in Finland?" debates

so, death stranding

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Use Token Slot to Access Chapel (25c)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

silentsnack posted:

the worst part about the future is the loss of biodiversity, and all the other diversities

everything else will keep trucking along without the catastrophism

welcome 2 paved-over planet earth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man Musk posted:

Operation Dark Storm looking good.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Man Musk posted:

the worst part about the future is the loss of biodiversity, and all the other diversities

everything else will keep trucking along without the catastrophism

welcome 2 paved-over planet earth

“when your jumpsuit’s lifespan has been exhausted, please report to the local chiral support center where a replacement will be printed for you.”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JudgeX posted:

i love Book but yeah gene wolf really doesnt think much of women, i'm not interested in reading his other books b/c of it. him writing a protagonist with so many complexes w/r/t women is mind bogglingly ironic.

did you really think that the guy who's thoughts on being raised as a torturer and executioner for the semi-immortal dictator are 'eh, it's a living' was supposed to be something you agreed with

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heavy_D posted:

(stolen from the happy thread)

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1195424622813966336

this is the cyberpunk future I was promised

poo poo yea

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Larry Parrish posted:

did you really think that the guy who's thoughts on being raised as a torturer and executioner for the semi-immortal dictator are 'eh, it's a living' was supposed to be something you agreed with

the problem with that is that people are extraordinarily bad at not identifying with the protagonist of a story, even if they’re obviously not a hero or good person. see Taxi Driver, Scarface, the Lolita reviews that described it as “the greatest love story ever told,” starship troopers, etc

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

this is legitimately sad.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

upgunned shitpost posted:

this is legitimately sad.

Assuming for profit prisons must exist at all they should be paid on recidivism metrics. If they can't rehabilitate someone so they can avoid ending up in prison again then they're failing at their core job and should go broke.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The only reason it isn't named ConvicComm is because those assholes also read Neuromancer etc and decided that poo poo didn't sound cool to the masses.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Man Musk posted:

i took my coworker on a trip across colorado and we camped in the san luis valley, a noted dark sky region and UFO spotter hotspot. she cried when she saw the milky way for the first time, in her 30s

we're ruining everything

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

for private prisons they are generally paid per head and so have to keep their costs below that, they usually dont care about how much services like these charge as they usually dont get the money from them
for public prisons and jails, at many of them the tax revenue isnt enough to run it so the sheriff looks for an alternate source and ofc some are just crooked so it all depends on if there are laws setting prices
the pay per minute nonsense came as a response from the florida lawsuits when inmates lost the digital media they bought because the state switched vendors, "look, you wont get sued like florida because the inmates dont actually own anything!"

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The only reason it isn't named ConvicComm is because those assholes also read Neuromancer etc and decided that poo poo didn't sound cool to the masses.

naw, some have names like that, some of the companies really dont care what the public thinks

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/youranoncentral/status/1195629993084063744?s=21

better go stock up on lasers before they’re made more illegal than guns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i googled problematic just now and the top result was a comment on reddit explaining how the depiction of severian is feminist, actually.

here's what i thought of the books several years ago, filtered through my recollection of my ex-wife's recollection of what i said at the time (they were so dull that I've almost completely forgotten the books themselves or what i thought of them, so this is all that's left): a jerk wanders around getting his dick sucked by every woman he meets. i didn't pay enough attention to the liberal arts classes in college to even make an attempt at a real critique, so i won't try, but i'm pretty sure this is one of those times where if you have to explain why it's ok, then it's not ok. even if the argument sounds good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"A story of an executioner being a jerk and becoming a tyrant" is like the most ultra surface-level reading of BOTNS.

It's the fictional autobiography of a bad man as a supposed prophet figure, so the narrator is notoriously unreliable and you absolutely have to take that into account.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really, what's more surprising is that Disney would allow somebody to use its branding without explicit permission, and hasn't demanded that these people remove their branded flesh.

Probably for the same reason they haven't put the kibosh on cops using the punisher logo on their death squad cars. Cuz they're on the same side

Man Musk posted:

Nerds everywhere rejoice

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Nov 17, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Assuming for profit prisons must exist at all they should be paid on recidivism metrics. If they can't rehabilitate someone so they can avoid ending up in prison again then they're failing at their core job and should go broke.

It's basically the Cobra Effect. Where the intention* of a program winds up being directly opposite to the financial incentives being offered.

The British wanted to reduce the amount of cobras around India, so they offered a reward for every dead cobra. People responded by breeding cobras.

*Y'know, aside from the constitutional slavery

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
ways to lower recidivism:
* manufacture additional charges to keep inmates in the system until they age out of their peak criming years
* create conditions so abominable that inmates leave too physically compromised to do violent crime
* the exit is a trapdoor to a meat grinder at an Arby’s

bonuses for everyone, good meeting!!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Lazyhound posted:

ways to lower recidivism:
* the exit entrance is a trapdoor to a meat grinder at an Arby’s

cmon man you gotta optimize!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

The British wanted to reduce the amount of cobras around India, so they offered a reward for every dead cobra. People responded by breeding cobras.

You forgot the part where the British learned about the breeding and ceased the reward scheme.

Now all the breeders had a bunch of useless cobras, which they literally dumped onto the streets.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol I expected the lesson to be “without cobras the rat population exploded and there was a disease epidemic” etc

I’m not enough of a hustler to have considered that other direction tho :rip:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao capitalism expected people to fork out even more money to cope with the tragedy of the commons problems created.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I see we all read the capitalism.png thread as well

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

why does public transit cost anything at the point of service

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

why does public transit cost anything at the point of service

Pretext for brutalising or otherwise mistreating undesireables.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1196100054735638530?s=20

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0vPzkkZag

:parrot:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/dorseyshaw/status/1195767971618205696

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know this isn't a new thing, but when I got gas today (lol) there was a blaring video ad about hamburgers or something, and then a blaring ad for Amazon warehouse jobs

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

actionjackson posted:

I know this isn't a new thing, but when I got gas today (lol) there was a blaring video ad about hamburgers or something, and then a blaring ad for Amazon warehouse jobs

give it 5 more years and your gas will stop pumping if the system detects you aren’t looking at the screen

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Just lol if you live in a state that trusts you to pump your own gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tubgoat posted:

Pretext for brutalising or otherwise mistreating undesireables.

Sunrail (light commuter rail in Orlando Florida) spends more money on the contracted-out ticketing and billing system than it makes on fares, by several million dollars. No, just going free isn't an option why do you ask?