Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

raditts posted:

The only thing I want out of another Matrix movie is Smithzilla from the alternate ending of Path of Neo.

This but only if it includes the scene where Wachowskis break the fourth wall to tell the viewer that they really hosed up the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hodgepodge posted:

What is only clear in retrospect is that Trinity is more Neo's true, feminine self than a character who Neo shares a convincing love story with. Like, their first lines about how Neo "thought she was a man" reads completely differently when you look at it that way.

Which is why I maintain they should switch roles in 4th movie.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The ending turns out to be similar to The End of Evangelion.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

This but only if it includes the scene where Wachowskis break the fourth wall to tell the viewer that they really hosed up the series

As far as I know, they appeared in the game to explain what works in movies does not work in games.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

The ending turns out to be similar to The End of Evangelion.

i actually watched this today. It sure...ummm...did...

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
They could make this work if it turns out there actually is a matrix within a matrix.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Preston Waters posted:

They could make this work if it turns out there actually is a matrix within a matrix.

Have you watched The Thirteenth Floor, which came out around the same time as the first Matrix?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LloydDobler posted:

The only reason I will always believe they stole the script for the Matrix is because it's just so much better than everything else they've written, especially its own sequels. It's really all the evidence we need.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Sir Kodiak posted:

The UHD of The Matrix is gorgeous.

From the original Blu-ray:

From the Blu-ray included with the new UHD version:

There's still a greenish tint as compared to the "real world" / post-apocalyptic stuff, but it's way less suffocating.

I kind of don’t like the lighting in the UHD. It looks like there’s a spotlight (which there probably was) on the people, especially Smith’s ultra white cuffs and they don’t match the lighting of the rest of the subway. The UHD makes me think there’s some LED ultra bright lighting going on, which may be great for viewing (as opposed to GoT’s night battle debacle) but feels out of place for the environment.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Preston Waters posted:

This is basically the reveal in the second film though? It's not a simulated reality, but it's still the same system of control that the matrix represents.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

I kind of don’t like the lighting in the UHD. It looks like there’s a spotlight (which there probably was) on the people, especially Smith’s ultra white cuffs and they don’t match the lighting of the rest of the subway. The UHD makes me think there’s some LED ultra bright lighting going on, which may be great for viewing (as opposed to GoT’s night battle debacle) but feels out of place for the environment.

That particular screenshot doesn't look tonemapped correctly, it looks considerably better than that on my OLED. Even playing my rip of it back using VLC results in a better representative SDR tonemap, keeping the highlights and saturation more sane.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Party Boat posted:

This is basically the reveal in the second film though? It's not a simulated reality, but it's still the same system of control that the matrix represents.

It would be pretty lovely writing if it turns out the last movie was also an illusion and they're all still stuck in the matrix, but it would be the easiest way to bring neo and trinity back from the dead.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Good god I hope they came up with a better story than "jk it was a second matrix the whole time". How could we believe anything in the movie after that?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

With all this matrix talk I was reminiscing about watching The matrix for the first time when I was living in Europe, but I had an English vhs (pal UK version). When I watched it for the first time in the states I noticed a whole bunch of scenes that were cut in the UK version, mainly people headbutting the poo poo out of each other. I thought I was going crazy so I looked it up and apparently that's just another one of those weird things they censor in the UK, like teenage mutant hero turtles and stuff.

I actually like the fight scenes without the headbutts, they're kinda goofy.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Inspired by Halloween (2018) and Dark Fate: A Terminated Story (2019), The Matrix 4: Awakening will ignore all previous sequels and will instead be a direct follow-up to the 1999 classic.

Then it fails spectacularly, critically and commercially.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halloween II was a success so it's at least a 50/50 shot, even more if you consider H20 to be the original example of this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zenguitarman posted:

With all this matrix talk I was reminiscing about watching The matrix for the first time when I was living in Europe, but I had an English vhs (pal UK version). When I watched it for the first time in the states I noticed a whole bunch of scenes that were cut in the UK version, mainly people headbutting the poo poo out of each other. I thought I was going crazy so I looked it up and apparently that's just another one of those weird things they censor in the UK, like teenage mutant hero turtles and stuff.

I actually like the fight scenes without the headbutts, they're kinda goofy.

Another weird example of this was in Terminator 2 where like in earlier UK releases they had to heavily edit parts where John is picking a lock/hacking because otherwise it would teach kids to burglarize.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I did try to hack into an ATM but I didn't even own a computer much less a 90's hacker laptop. I figure UK would be safe also.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Human Tornada posted:

Good god I hope they came up with a better story than "jk it was a second matrix the whole time". How could we believe anything in the movie after that?

I was only half kidding when I said the ending would be like End of Evangelion. Death is arguably the only certainty that you have left the matrix, plus it fucks over the machines if everyone dies since they won't have a source of electricity left.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Best' example of hysterical UK censorship was when a tabloid panic over "ninja weapons" resulted in one of the Ninja Turtles movies being cut because it featured nunchucks being whirled. Except they weren't actually nunchucks, they were a string of sausages.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Payndz posted:

'Best' example of hysterical UK censorship was when a tabloid panic over "ninja weapons" resulted in one of the Ninja Turtles movies being cut because it featured nunchucks being whirled. Except they weren't actually nunchucks, they were a string of sausages.

Weren't they also forced to rename them to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because of mass ninja hysteria?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tylersayten posted:

Inspired by Halloween (2018) and Dark Fate: A Terminated Story (2019), The Matrix 4: Awakening will ignore all previous sequels and will instead be a direct follow-up to the 1999 classic.

My buddy and I were talking about all the ways you could make time traveling robots good (hint: there's a billion) and how Terminator movies refuse to do any of those things. Like, what about a Terminator sent back in time to the old West on accident, and a sheriff trying to hunt him down with old west weapons and traps?

Anyway I think small stakes stories with big franchises are really paying off right now and I hope they take that into consideration with this new matrix movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cacator posted:

Weren't they also forced to rename them to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because of mass ninja hysteria?

Yes, and that's why in later seasons of the cartoon Mikey started using a grappling hook, it was friendlier to the UK censors. Even though they fought robots, aliens and mutants 99% of the time. :britain:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was only half kidding when I said the ending would be like End of Evangelion. Death is arguably the only certainty that you have left the matrix, plus it fucks over the machines if everyone dies since they won't have a source of electricity left.

Now I'm imagining a mexican standoff where the Machines are about to invade Zion and kill everyone but the resistance is about to inject a code into the Matrix that will flush every connected human from their pods to die and it's so much better than watching the Architect run through the thesaurus for five minutes.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 19, 2019

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

tylersayten posted:

I'm not going to lie: if they took that route than I would at the very least give it a watch because I believe in second chances.

But, it will likely just be another confusing and confounding mess and fail critically and cement the 1999 film as a fluke.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Donovan Trip posted:

My buddy and I were talking about all the ways you could make time traveling robots good (hint: there's a billion) and how Terminator movies refuse to do any of those things. Like, what about a Terminator sent back in time to the old West on accident, and a sheriff trying to hunt him down with old west weapons and traps?

I'd rather not see a third remake of westworld personally. But I'll agree, yule was the best of all the terminators

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

Didn't one of the movies address this where the "You need us for power" argument was met by the machines saying that there were levels of survival that they were willing to accept without having humans as a power source? I just remember the "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" line. I think it's when Neo confronts the core about Smith being out of control?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It would've been better if they needed the human brains for some kind of complex computations that machines couldn't get with circuits only. Something that makes them more dependent.

Humans used as batteries kinda.... suck

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SUNKOS posted:

Didn't one of the movies address this where the "You need us for power" argument was met by the machines saying that there were levels of survival that they were willing to accept without having humans as a power source? I just remember the "There are levels of survival we are willing to accept" line. I think it's when Neo confronts the core about Smith being out of control?

It was during the meeting with the architect, but chances are it was a bluff. The architect knew neo was not going to choose to save humanity the way he wanted, but he had to try something. Yeah it's possible the machines might technically survive as a species but they don't want to die any more than humans would, which is irony level a billion considering how all this got started.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember the "human computer" things was the original plan but the studio thought people wouldn't get that so they changed it to the battery explanation.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

It would've been better if they needed the human brains for some kind of complex computations that machines couldn't get with circuits only. Something that makes them more dependent.

Humans used as batteries kinda.... suck

I always had the theory after watching the Animatrix that the machines didn't actually need to farm humans for energy but rather used that as an excuse so they could allow humanity to survive while also keeping them from being a threat again. They tried to peacefully co-exist with humanity but humanity attacked them and even killed the Earth in the attempt to end machine life, then they tried to give humanity paradise but humanity rejected it. Finally they give humanity the only two fates it will accept: living in a simulated version of 1999 and Zion for the ones who who wouldn't or couldn't accept that.

I mean even if the need to farm humans for energy wasn't stupid, why would the machines even need to provide a computer simulation for them at all instead of just lobotomizing them and farming the energy from mindless bodies?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

Have you watched The Thirteenth Floor, which came out around the same time as the first Matrix?

I did. I think I actually saw it before I saw The Matrix and thinking it was pretty damned cool. It didn't have all the cool effect of Matrix but it told an interesting story. drat. Now I'm need to find that thing and watch it again.

One possible take on Matrix 4 is that they do what Alex Proyas planned to do with a sequel to Dark City (which was never greenlit) - make Neo the threat/villain. Let Keanu channel a bit of John Wick with the idea that Neo wants Trinity back now matter how horrible the cost and a new group of humans and programs (including an early "rejected" version of Trinity) have to team up to stop him.

While he's usually the lead/hero, Reeves can be a damned effective villain as witness The Watcher.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's weird they seem to have got everyone back except Morpheus. Does anyone know what's happened there? Laurence Fishburne has been working with Keanu in the John Wick movies and I can't fathom why they'd bring back characters like Niobe but not him? I know there's rumors of a younger Morpheus instead but if they're using younger versions of the characters why have Carrie-Anne Moss and Keanu Reeves return along with the others? I'm guessing maybe the story revolves around Morpheus this time or something? Seems off though if Trinity is coming back but she'll be the same age yet Morpheus is just younger than everyone else.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Too fat

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

It's weird they seem to have got everyone back except Morpheus. Does anyone know what's happened there? Laurence Fishburne has been working with Keanu in the John Wick movies and I can't fathom why they'd bring back characters like Niobe but not him? I know there's rumors of a younger Morpheus instead but if they're using younger versions of the characters why have Carrie-Anne Moss and Keanu Reeves return along with the others?

Keanu Reeves doesn't age.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Alhazred posted:

Keanu Reeves doesn't age.

carrie ann looks really good in the bye bye man. botoxed/work but still looks good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

carrie ann looks really good in the bye bye man. botoxed/work but still looks good.

Is it wrong that I kind of want Moss to come back as Trinity but suffering some kind of delusion that she's Jeri Hogarth, terrifying, semi-ethical lawyer?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Everyone posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of want Moss to come back as Trinity but suffering some kind of delusion that she's Jeri Hogarth, terrifying, semi-ethical lawyer?

Only she enters the courtroom doing a three-point landing and then fights off three bailiffs using the Bible

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Horrible Taste posted:

I always had the theory after watching the Animatrix that the machines didn't actually need to farm humans for energy but rather used that as an excuse so they could allow humanity to survive while also keeping them from being a threat again. They tried to peacefully co-exist with humanity but humanity attacked them and even killed the Earth in the attempt to end machine life, then they tried to give humanity paradise but humanity rejected it. Finally they give humanity the only two fates it will accept: living in a simulated version of 1999 and Zion for the ones who who wouldn't or couldn't accept that.

I mean even if the need to farm humans for energy wasn't stupid, why would the machines even need to provide a computer simulation for them at all instead of just lobotomizing them and farming the energy from mindless bodies?

I bet they'll retcon the animatrix and have it so the humans created the simulation and the machines to run it because humans hosed the world with climate change. The only way for the humans to not despair and kill everything is to let them believe the lie that they fought against a race of sentient machines. In the end it turns out the machines aren't sentient at all, they are just all programmed to do what they do forever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Horrible Taste posted:

Fried Watermelon posted:

I bet they'll retcon the animatrix and have it so the humans created the simulation and the machines to run it because humans hosed the world with climate change. The only way for the humans to not despair and kill everything is to let them believe the lie that they fought against a race of sentient machines. In the end it turns out the machines aren't sentient at all, they are just all programmed to do what they do forever.

I haven't seen the first in a long time but I thought they mention that the brain needs to be actively perceiving stuff and generally at work for the system to function and generate power. Would have made more sense if they stuck with using the brains for computational power instead of just electricity. Or with better writing in the sequels (and the amount of mysticism they parallel in the movies anyway) they could have made the connection between building blocks of a world and creative "fire" and "electricity" like Twin Peaks does and it would fit fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Matrix 1 is so loving good, I was really happy that I saw in in theaters completely blind except for that one ad of a baby hooked up the machinery and that it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves.