Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Hop, I’m still early in the game but he’s not going to keep commenting on how I know about type advantages every time I fight him is he?

You'd think he would take his own advice with how often he'll use his starter as the second pokemon, even if he has others, against your starter. Which he picks the one he is weak too.

He can't even do the rival thing right where they pick your starter's weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I found a Sigilyph flying around the Wild Area and it immediately used Whirlwind and told me to gently caress off :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Leal posted:

You'd think he would take his own advice with how often he'll use his starter as the second pokemon, even if he has others, against your starter. Which he picks the one he is weak too.

Ah. In that case, does he ever get stronger or will you just be able to one shot the majority of his team each time (then again, I just hit the first gym and my Drizzle is already at level 28)?

Also, how late in the game do you have to get before you can start buying evolution stones?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 17, 2019

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Has anyone figured out how Linoone actually evolves into Obstagoon? The guides I can find out there just seem to shrug and go "iunno get into a bunch of fights or level up at night", and I'm not sure which is correct.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dad Jokes posted:

Has anyone figured out how Linoone actually evolves into Obstagoon? The guides I can find out there just seems to shrug and go "iunno get into a bunch of fights or level up at night", and I'm not sure which is correct.

Level up at night (Must be at least level 35)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I think it's time to start building a dedicated capture mon. Looking through the dex the first one that jumps out at me is Gallade. He was my goto capture mon back in BW. Obviously wont work on ghosts, but False swipe, thunderwave, double team, and life dew should give you pretty much endless catching opportunities once he is high enough level.

Any better options anyone has come up with yet?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I think it's time to start building a dedicated capture mon. Looking through the dex the first one that jumps out at me is Gallade. He was my goto capture mon back in BW. Obviously wont work on ghosts, but False swipe, thunderwave, double team, and life dew should give you pretty much endless catching opportunities once he is high enough level.

Any better options anyone has come up with yet?
I was looking to see if there was a mon who could work against ghosts: good news! both odor sleuth and foresight were killed in the transition to gen 8, presumably out of spite

that being said, my catch mon right now is ninjask, because I got one early on and screech makes false swipe much easier to use on super defensive pokemon like steelix. doesn't seem to learn any status moves though, sadly

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Eiba posted:

Hop spoilers:
I legit teared up a bit in the first fight he brings out his dubwool.

Then I one shot it. But still, emotional moment.
I just wish (endgame spoilers) he'd stop sending it out in the raid battles. Just send out your Inteleon! It might actually do things!

Leal posted:

The starter's weakness shows up in the Leon fight. I kinda feel like the game should have given Leon a couple different options for his Gigantamax Pokemon and not revealed it until after you'd chosen the starter so that you don't accidentally give him a worse team comp just by picking Grookey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The attacks that do have animations are pretty loving cool and only make the bad attack animations even more jarring. It’ll never happen in a million years but I’d like to see GF slowly update/build their animation and attack library for however many games they’ll do on the Switch.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I was looking to see if there was a mon who could work against ghosts: good news! both odor sleuth and foresight were killed in the transition to gen 8, presumably out of spite

that being said, my catch mon right now is ninjask, because I got one early on and screech makes false swipe much easier to use on super defensive pokemon like steelix. doesn't seem to learn any status moves though, sadly

Looking around, they kind of hide it, but hidden ability Sirfetched has scrappy and can learn false swipe before it evolves (but not after!). Doesn't seem to have any good status moves, but well beggars cant be choosers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So is there an easy way to trade with someone on your friends list or nah? Me and a friend just tried for half an hour to get matched up and I kept getting put into trades with randos rather than him despite me and him putting the same code in (I guess enough people are playing that a 4 digit code isn't the best way) and if we tried to search for "only friends" in the stamp list it said there were no stamps found. Seems pretty loving shonky even by Nintendo's usual standards for online functionality.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God dam Bede is insufferable. I’m making it my missions to one shot him every single time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

By pop up you mean right after pressing x to refresh stamps?

It only lets me refresh seemingly at random, like every 20mins, otherwise I'm stuck relying on them popping up in my feed naturally.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It only lets me refresh seemingly at random, like every 20mins, otherwise I'm stuck relying on them popping up in my feed naturally.

From what I noticed, if you immediately check after a raid the option will be there. I've been able to chain raids like 6 or 7 in a row this way. Unfortunately if you get a communication failure then the option doesn't come back. I was going to try later to see if surprise trade causes it to pop up unless someone wants to check now.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Looking around, they kind of hide it, but hidden ability Sirfetched has scrappy and can learn false swipe before it evolves (but not after!). Doesn't seem to have any good status moves, but well beggars cant be choosers.
can you even get its hidden ability though? I've never seen farfetched in a raid.

also I can't believe they've never released false swipe in a different type or changed it to ??? type or anything. why are ghosts just arbitrarily more annoying to catch

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

can you even get its hidden ability though? I've never seen farfetched in a raid.

also I can't believe they've never released false swipe in a different type or changed it to ??? type or anything. why are ghosts just arbitrarily more annoying to catch

I don't have sword so I don't know. If farfectched is just a normal wild mon then they should occasionally show up with the yellow glow aura which I'm pretty sure can get you hidden abilities?

edit: I could be wrong though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I don't have sword so I don't know. If farfectched is just a normal wild mon then they should occasionally show up with the yellow glow aura which I'm pretty sure can get you hidden abilities?

edit: I could be wrong though.
IIRC the glow is just some perfect IVs and an egg move or two. HAs are raid exclusive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The attacks that do have animations are pretty loving cool and only make the bad attack animations even more jarring. It’ll never happen in a million years but I’d like to see GF slowly update/build their animation and attack library for however many games they’ll do on the Switch.

i'd like them to build up their pokemon library

landorus can stay gone though

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blaziken386 posted:

IIRC the glow is just some perfect IVs and an egg move or two. HAs are raid exclusive.

Nope, got a Drought Vulpix from a glowy yellow one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ungulateman posted:

i'd like them to build up their pokemon library

landorus can stay gone though

I mean I know they never will but this game is like a really solid foundation and while going against their very existence, I'd like to see Pokemon move up to 2019 and update and add content to their game and make the standalone/annual release a tailored story and mini games so people keep buying them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Advice: Completing the curry dex gets you more toys for camp

https://twitter.com/Boke_/status/1196198092728483840

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

From what I noticed, if you immediately check after a raid the option will be there. I've been able to chain raids like 6 or 7 in a row this way. Unfortunately if you get a communication failure then the option doesn't come back. I was going to try later to see if surprise trade causes it to pop up unless someone wants to check now.

I've had luck manually disconnecting to local and reconnecting to internet to refresh cards. Kind of weird that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the refresh option to appear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Advice: Completing the curry dex gets you more toys for camp

https://twitter.com/Boke_/status/1196198092728483840

So Scorbunny can kick me in the nuts some more? No thanks.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it sounds like the gigantamax poo poo will be that. wouldn't be surprised if they release new old Pokémon as max raid battles

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

it sounds like the gigantamax poo poo will be that. wouldn't be surprised if they release new old Pokémon as max raid battles

but will they release good old pokemon or just the starters and legendaries that've been datamined

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When Sonia asks if you already know about Pokémon and you can say “you bet!” or “not really…” what is the impact of that dialogue choice? I know it’s less tutorials but how much less? And when do they happen or not happen?

e: never mind. Figured out the right words to google to get the answer. It’s just impacts what she says to you.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 18, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
My favorite thing about endgame Hop is after you thrash him in the semifinals, his brother, the person who he admires most in the world and whose validation he seeks, comes out and delivers a speech about you, the player character, and how hard you worked. loving brutal.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Okay so I know I was kinda down on SnS before it came out, but after having gone through it now I actually really like it a lot. Too recent to say for sure if it beats original sun and moon, but it's up there for sure.

Went into the final battle underleveled and determined to not use items, was worth it imo.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

that's what he gets for not being born the player character :colbert:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So I haven’t been following the thread closely, has anyone brought up the fact that Toby Fox put a Homestuck reference in the Battle Tower theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSUdTV5x0X0

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

whats homestuck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

whats homestuck

My living situation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

whats homestuck

a hell we will never escape

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scrap Dragon posted:

Max Raid Battles. Otherwise you’re stuck waiting until after the 8th gym to catch a Mr. Mime

I bred a mr mime and the egg hatched another goddamn mr mime where the gently caress is my mime jr

Edit: ohhh the incense. gently caress.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 18, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

apparently, there's a rainbow form of alcremie too :eyepop:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

History Comes Inside! posted:

I bred a mr mime and the egg hatched another goddamn mr mime where the gently caress is my mime jr

Edit: ohhh the incense. gently caress.

You can buy Odd Incense in Nessa's town.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i can't believe they nuked the pokedex and kept loving mr. mime

e: and then also gave it an evolution

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh my gods. I just realized what the theme of the 7th gym is.

IT'S A TRIBUTE TO loving BEAT-EM-UPS. Also my Hatterene evolved just in time for it :getin:

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 18, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blaziken386 posted:

apparently, there's a rainbow form of alcremie too :eyepop:

You apparently get it at random upon evolving. So uh, have fun hunting for that.

EDIT: This is wrong.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh and Pier's theme loving rips royal rear end.