Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do you want to play a GW game or just any game? You can play other games with prepainted minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Or just do like I do and buy somebody else’s painted minis off eBay for the same as a retail box cost.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

40k is a setting literally all of the group likes, so it's the logical starting point.

None of us want to spend what GW wants to charge in order to play with their stuff, and we have tons of miscellaneous supplies that allow us to dummy lots of stuff. Buying a few books is not so bad, buying hundreds of bucks of models is a non-starter - we'd just play one of the games we already have.

Prepainted models are also usually more expensive than we want to deal with, especially when we can just use what we already have for free.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Remora posted:

Hey, so, this might be a weird question. If you're just interested in a good wargame, is there one edition of 40k that's better than the others? I know I've heard a lot that certain models get buffed edition to edition to drive model sales as opposed to game balance reasons, but I don't know how true that is.

Booley posted:

30k is probably the most balanced edition, though the rules are somewhat more painful than 8th edition. There's no reason to consider any of the other editions as you're not going to be able to find anyone playing them.

Remora posted:

I already know all of the people with whom I would be playing.

None of us like painting minis so everything is getting dummied no matter what we play, so if there's an edition that's a better game, that's the one it would be preferable for us.

Thanks for the 30k recommendation, though - didn't realize that era had its own rules line.

So if I am understanding the subtext here, this question is something like "Me and a half-dozen or so other friends have decided it might be fun to start playing Warhammer 40k. We're not planning on buying into the miniature lines, we're gonna use army men or something; and we're not planning on trying to play in GW stores or other game stores. We've got private play spaces already, we're all going to be at roughly a similar level of skill, and we're not concerned with learning a version that will let us play with other people. Which edition do y'all remember having the most fun with? Is the current one the best, or is like 2nd or 3rd widely considered one of the better ones, or what?"

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have been watching a lot of battle reports lately to get caught up with 8th ed and I have to say that rolling bunches of dice that hit on 2+ with rerolls for 1's is just dumb, and it happens all the time.

I asked in this thread awhile ago if anyone still did written batreps and people said they're not too common these days. I found a place called SN Battlereports that does just that, with pictures. They look well made. I apologize in advance if it turns out that the site is run by Nazis or something.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 18, 2019

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Stephenls posted:

So if I am understanding the subtext here, this question is something like "Me and a half-dozen or so other friends have decided it might be fun to start playing Warhammer 40k. We're not planning on buying into the miniature lines, we're gonna use army men or something; and we're not planning on trying to play in GW stores or other game stores. We've got private play spaces already, we're all going to be at roughly a similar level of skill, and we're not concerned with learning a version that will let us play with other people. Which edition do y'all remember having the most fun with? Is the current one the best, or is like 2nd or 3rd widely considered one of the better ones, or what?"

Basically, yeah, that's about it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Remora posted:

Forgive me for being puzzled but why are you married to the need to play with 40k rules then? Use ASL and substitute the Allies with Space Marines and the Germans with Chaos Marines. Or any other game really. There are loads of setting/miniature agnostic game systems out there that could be reskinned into 40k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just play 8th.

You're probably thinking of Warhammer Fantasy Battle, which had better (and worse) editions that people still play and have very strong preferences about.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Remora posted:

If you want to go really silly, Games Workshop did a reprint of the original Rogue Trader first edition of 40k. Safety Factor and I have been talking about playing it for about, uh, two years now.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Forgive me for being puzzled but why are you married to the need to play with 40k rules then? Use ASL and substitute the Allies with Space Marines and the Germans with Chaos Marines. Or any other game really. There are loads of setting/miniature agnostic game systems out there that could be reskinned into 40k.

I'm not "married" to it, I'm just asking a question?

If you have recommendations for any of those systems, I'd love to hear them.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Apocalypse 40k is a decent and simplified ruleset that has free data sheets available. Things are going to be confusing as gently caress if you are subbing in models but good luck! Tabletop Boys' Cocktail stick Marneus Calgar and smiley-face taco Land Raider proves it can be done.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Remora posted:

I'm not "married" to it, I'm just asking a question?

If you have recommendations for any of those systems, I'd love to hear them.

A question with exceedingly vague parameters.

What scale?
Kill-team/skirmish? 40k? Epic? Division-level combat?
How abstract do you like your system?
40k is fairly granular with lots of stats. Other systems may abstract your entire unit into 4-3-2. While others may have FATAL levels of detail and you roll to see if the sixth magazine in your guy's belt fell off when he rolled into cover.
If you have any examples of systems which you like then it would be a good start?

Guerilla Miniature Games on YouTube reviews and does battle reports for loads of different systems. Have a look and see if there's one that fits your bill.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I mean if you want to play a battle game in the 40k universe without paying hundreds, you could play Kill Team. I don’t know how proxying army men for dozens of differing models with different equipment would work out for you and the modeling/hobby portion of GW games is half the fun...

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

A question with exceedingly vague parameters.

What scale?
Kill-team/skirmish? 40k? Epic? Division-level combat?
How abstract do you like your system?
40k is fairly granular with lots of stats. Other systems may abstract your entire unit into 4-3-2. While others may have FATAL levels of detail and you roll to see if the sixth magazine in your guy's belt fell off when he rolled into cover.
If you have any examples of systems which you like then it would be a good start?

Guerilla Miniature Games on YouTube reviews and does battle reports for loads of different systems. Have a look and see if there's one that fits your bill.

I was just asking for games you personally think are good games. It wasn't supposed to be a trick question.

Don't care about scale as long as it's an interesting game, if you can fit a unit (at whatever scale the game uses) onto a 3x5 card (with rules lookups out of a book) that's fine.

PierreTheMime posted:

I mean if you want to play a battle game in the 40k universe without paying hundreds, you could play Kill Team. I don’t know how proxying army men for dozens of differing models with different equipment would work out for you and the modeling/hobby portion of GW games is half the fun...

Is Kill Team a good game?

The proxy thing is a solved problem - and the modelling/hobby portion isn't fun for us. We've tried it.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

The Dregs posted:

I have been watching a lot of battle reports lately to get caught up with 8th ed and I have to say that rolling bunches of dice that hit on 2+ with rerolls for 1's is just dumb, and it happens all the time.

I asked in this thread awhile ago if anyone still did written batreps and people said they're not too common these days. I found a place called SN Battlereports that does just that, with pictures. They like well made. I apologize in advanced if it turns out that the site is run by Nazis or something.

yeah batreps have become hard to watch, not just from the rerolling but the declaration of rerolling. i get why they gotta do it, but if i hear winters say "rerolling that one because im lucky" or chef say "artisan/salamander reroll" one more time im gonna put my fuckin ears out.

sn batreps are good stuff. afaik theyre not run by nazis and are well regarded by ppl like winters.

ss82 is the only big name batrep fascist that im aware of. frontline gaming also have a history of defending nazi poo poo but everyone turns a blind eye to it because of the itc i guess.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
temple guard blue is good poo poo

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If you're just looking to break into wargaming/minis games in general, it's probably best to start with a smaller game first—not as many models to buy/proxy, and it can offer a good intro into basic wargaming concepts. For that, Kill Team and Necromunda are definitely good introductions to the hobby. I haven't played much of either, but from what I have they're both fun skirmish games that are worth checking out before diving into the overly complex and insane world of mainline 40K.

As to other games... Star Wars: Legion is good, Bolt Action is similar to 40K in some ways but is World War II themed and has fewer models, and if you want lots of tanks rolling across the board, the World War II game Flames of War and its Cold War spinoff Team Yankee are pretty fun. Really depends what your friends are interested in.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

yeah batreps have become hard to watch, not just from the rerolling but the declaration of rerolling. i get why they gotta do it, but if i hear winters say "rerolling that one because im lucky" or chef say "artisan/salamander reroll" one more time im gonna put my fuckin ears out.

sn batreps are good stuff. afaik theyre not run by nazis and are well regarded by ppl like winters.

ss82 is the only big name batrep fascist that im aware of. frontline gaming also have a history of defending nazi poo poo but everyone turns a blind eye to it because of the itc i guess.

I like watching Bone dance whenever Beard or Chef roll a 1

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Filthy Hans posted:

I like watching Bone

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Remora posted:

Hey, so, this might be a weird question. If you're just interested in a good wargame, is there one edition of 40k that's better than the others? I know I've heard a lot that certain models get buffed edition to edition to drive model sales as opposed to game balance reasons, but I don't know how true that is.

40k is beloved. It's got the best lore and the best models around. And its models are easily acquired because of how big GW is. If you are set on 40k for rules, then go with 8th.

If all you're looking for is a ruleset though, and you're specifically not wanting to get into the models, do check out other options before settling on 40k. The rule set isn't 40k's selling point.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Maneck posted:

40k is beloved. It's got the best lore and the best models around. And its models are easily acquired because of how big GW is. If you are set on 40k for rules, then go with 8th.

If all you're looking for is a ruleset though, and you're specifically not wanting to get into the models, do check out other options before settling on 40k. The rule set isn't 40k's selling point.

Agreed, if you're just lookin for a war-game without any of the modeling components, I'd suggest Infinity, as the rules are free and you just need some scatter terrain and d20s. They even encourage proxies to boot, so you're golden.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'm just gonna peace out. Have fun ya'll.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Remora posted:

4th edition was pretty good. Honestly though if you play 8th edition and just stuck to the Index books for simplicity its pretty streamlined and relatively balanced, as long as everyone is agreeing to stick to the initial rules before they got filled with bloat. Its easy to learn, you can play on a dining room table, and its pretty fast compared to past editions. Lower points or power level will make the games fast (small skirmishes tend to be 500-750 points, 1500-2000 is a big battle).

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Remora posted:

lol

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

What's the best edition of 40k and why is it 3rd edition?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Team_q posted:

Mostly because it was the edition that let me fill the board with Chimeras with infantry squads inside who could fire out of the top hatch with their heavy weapons backed up by Russes and Basilisks and just wreck anyone who didn't fill the board with anti-tank weapons. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I miss playing IG in 5E with Armored Battlegroup, and by that I mean I miss being able to take nothing but tanks with hilariously undercosted special powers. 20 points to literally double my firepower? Don't mind if I do.

e: Also gonna pour one out for the 6E version. Oh Beast Hunter shells, how I miss you.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 18, 2019

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My poor Blood Angels Rhinos really miss 3rd edition.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Remora posted:

Look what you people do

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Look what you people do

I regret responding to.what in hindsight was a terrible troll.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Team_q posted:

It was the last time chaos marines were on par with loyalists :ssh:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
2nd was the best edition. Because it was the first one I played and nostalgia is a harsh mistress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

I regret responding to.what in hindsight was a terrible troll.

I don't think it's a troll but the simple/only answer is play the current edition so you can buy the books you need and have it supported instead of rooting through the eBay trash for enough old edition material.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

It was the last time chaos marines were on par with loyalists :ssh:

The last time Chaos Marines were on par with loyalist Marines was literally less than three months ago.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Strobe posted:

The last time Chaos Marines were on par with loyalist Marines was literally less than three months ago.

:captainpop:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
When I first started playing my group of 5 looters were played by 5 Halls cough drops (still in wrapping) and my brothers dreadnoughts was played by a salt and pepper shaker set. I totally get wanting to play 40k and not worry about models to begin with. 40k is cool as hell.

Anyway, the current edition is the best the game has ever been, except it’s starting to become mighty bloaty. The number of rules and subrules, and FAQs and design diaries, white dwarves, vigilus (no, not vigilus 1, vigilus 2!), codexes, updated codexes, chapter approved, etc. you have to look through just to build and army and know what it does is staggering. It is getting really loving ridiculous, but the game is very good.

I think starting with kill-team is reasonable, it’s a pretty good game, and the rules are very similar to normal 40k, but it’s a much smaller scale.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 18, 2019

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
When I was asking about using Sisters in a Chaos army, I didn’t mean putting their heads on a CSM body, I was wondering if it would be possible to straight up paint a Sister with Khorne red or Nurgling green armour and use it as a stand in, mainly in terms of having the right or at least similar kinds of weapon models available. Maybe use Arco flagellents or Repentias as Khorne berserkers?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anime_Otaku posted:

When I was asking about using Sisters in a Chaos army, I didn’t mean putting their heads on a CSM body, I was wondering if it would be possible to straight up paint a Sister with Khorne red or Nurgling green armour and use it as a stand in, mainly in terms of having the right or at least similar kinds of weapon models available. Maybe use Arco flagellents or Repentias as Khorne berserkers?

Yeah I guess, but why? You could just run them with sisters rules as evil sisters.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah I guess, but why? You could just run them with sisters rules as evil sisters.

I’m a noob, I didn’t know that “These are Sisters that got a bit too enthusiastic about killing stuff and ended up worshipping Khorne” was a thing that could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anime_Otaku posted:

I’m a noob, I didn’t know that “These are Sisters that got a bit too enthusiastic about killing stuff and ended up worshipping Khorne” was a thing that could be done.

Ah yeah you can totally do that. It'll also make it easier than opponents trying to keep tabs on what counts as what. Instead of holy prayers they can be evil prayers and stuff so functionally it all works in a way that's easily understandable, but you've got the theme you like.