Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
They're all just database UIs that depends on how well someone is building and maintaining your database.

Therefore they are all poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We used Toast at two different places I’ve worked and it never gave us problems. At my current place, we have square for some loving reason and it absolute hogshit.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

It's been a long time, but honestly, Aloha, if who ever sets it up knows what they're doing. I was complaining about it once to a friend at a bar and someone who worked for them was sitting next to us and every major problem I had was because of lovely button layouts that are completely in control of the customer.

Oh and the one time it broke completely, but that was because it was being run through an ancient computer in an unventilated room and it overheated.

Agreed, Aloha is actually not bad when it's set up by someone that understands how it's used in a live environment and knows how to disable/hide the features your concept doesn't need. My biggest complaint with Aloha is that on the rare occasion it does decide to poo poo the bed, it takes for-loving-ever to reboot the drat system.

I recently started working at a concept that uses PDQ, and I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty idiot proof and seems to work pretty well. It lacks a lot of the back office functionality of Aloha though, like FTP integration with vendors.

gently caress homebrew POS systems though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Focus was my favorite POS to use. Fast, reliable, full back office functions and relatively easy to manage once you got used to it. Digital Dining was hands down my least favorite, ancient and difficult to use, but it also wasn't configured very well for the concept.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

my first restaurant job used aloha and it crashed all the drat time and took forever to get back up rolling again. about three months after quitting i stopped by to bother a bartender friend and made a joke about aloha crashing, when he informed me that they installed some extra memory and it hadn't crashed since.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Going to chime in again to say Toast is a gift from the gods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We're currently in the process of switching POS systems, but it is going to be a company wide switch so it's taking a long time. We use Brink currently.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I think it's time to just give up and move back to the US. God knows where the hell I'll move but I cannot take three more months of this poo poo. There's a reason I've avoided service industry work almost my entire life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I think it's time to just give up and move back to the US. God knows where the hell I'll move but I cannot take three more months of this poo poo. There's a reason I've avoided service industry work almost my entire life.

What would you do for a living in the US that you can't do where you are now?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

What would you do for a living in the US that you can't do where you are now?

Brewing. I could probably continue to do it here but job openings don't come up a lot. I may try to get an English teaching gig until another job opening comes up. A lot of those jobs also have poo poo pay and hours though so we'll see. Putting out feelers.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Micros is my favorite, but I also built the database/screens so I know they work and nothing else would have worked with our 1000 liquor slesctions/9000 bottle wine list and daily changing food menus.

Have managers that can actually program/use it and Micros is amazing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fuckin' Sunday brunch, amirite?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We did a Veterans Day special because we are closed Mondays so that’s a big mood right now.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

At will employment is super cool because I can be a good employee and give my two weeks and then just be taken off the loving schedule. So uhhh...I guess I'm unemployed for the next two weeks. Rent will be real fun to pay when I only have $30 in the bank. Thanks for really just getting that last punch in, lovely job.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Science WHORE posted:

At will employment is super cool because I can be a good employee and give my two weeks and then just be taken off the loving schedule. So uhhh...I guess I'm unemployed for the next two weeks. Rent will be real fun to pay when I only have $30 in the bank. Thanks for really just getting that last punch in, lovely job.

What state do you live in? In most non-deep-South states you're eligible for unemployment comp if they do this, and should file for it.

(You won't actually get the money until long after your rent is due, and it'll only be probably half of what you would have made working, but it's better than nothing for the hour or so filling out the forms will take.)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This is why you don't give notice to places that suck.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I’m in Michigan. Also, it was definitely against my better judgment because I was prepared to just walk out once my new job started but my parents and my partner convinced me not to « burn bridges »

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Science WHORE posted:

I’m in Michigan. Also, it was definitely against my better judgment because I was prepared to just walk out once my new job started but my parents and my partner convinced me not to « burn bridges »

Your parents are from a different time. If you're leaving a job because it loving sucks, burn the bridge before they do.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah those bridges were in disrepair due to neglect to begin with.

J/k they were actively pulling out the rivets themselves.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 18, 2019

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I guess young people ain't no picnic either to be fair.

Motherfucker, if you're good with the French onion soup, you don't need the gluten free bread for your sandwich. "Cutting back" isn't a thing. Please die in a fire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Probably bad form to post during a shift, but I just had to walk away from a four top instead of selling them another drink because half the table is explaining to the other half what "furries" are. And while typing this from my corner hiding spot 9just heard the word "zoophilia."

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Probably bad form to post during a shift, but I just had to walk away from a four top instead of selling them another drink because half the table is explaining to the other half what "furries" are. And while typing this from my corner hiding spot 9just heard the word "zoophilia."

You did nothing wrong.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Science WHORE posted:

Your parents are clearly stuck last century. In the era of at-will employment, you sit on your cards and don't give any hint or notice unless you can afford to walk out that minute.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I totally get it, which is why that’s what I wanted to do, but it’s also a small town, and most business owners know each other in some way, so you could easily shoot yourself in the foot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing it came from the half being explained to? Ugh, I've had to deal with this before and it's dumb as hell.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
god drat it

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Science WHORE posted:

I totally get it, which is why that’s what I wanted to do, but it’s also a small town, and most business owners know each other in some way, so you could easily shoot yourself in the foot.

Great, make sure the fact that they screw their people over gets around then

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But you love me. ;-* 🦊

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Great, make sure the fact that they screw their people over gets around then

:hmmyes:

Good luck with the job hunt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kittenmittons posted:

You did nothing wrong.

Another table (not mine, thank god) last night spent the entire evening discussing how hard it is to be a land lord. Made me wish all the tables talked about nothing but furries.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
furry landlord would be an interesting component for a sitcom setup.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Science WHORE posted:

How did you give your two weeks? I know (at least in HI, which is also an ‘at Will’ state) that if you formally state your intention to work until the end of your 2 weeks notice, you are legally entitled to the pay that would have been normative for that position/hours if you are taken off schedule but not formally fired.

I know this doesn’t make things feel better, but I immediately thought of it. Good luck, friendgoon.

Also, to reiterate a previous poster: if nothing else you should throw shame their way since you are in a small community

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

State of Michigan posted:

In other words, under both circumstances (a voluntary or involuntary termination) an employer is not required to pay an employee any wages that are not earned or due.

This is important where an employee provides two weeks notice before ending his or her employment relationship, but the employer elects (usually for business reasons) to terminate the individual prior to the running of the two week notice period. Under those circumstances, there is no requirement to pay an individual for the entire notice period (e.g., two weeks) for any wages that are not earned or due to be paid, assuming there is no employment or collective bargaining agreement to the contary.

:shrug:

Sucks for those of us living paycheck to paycheck, especially because I’m kind of freaking out right now about rent and food for the rest of the month, but you know, capitalism.
On a positive note I’ve been brushing up old pastry skills since flour and eggs are dirt cheap. We’re just carbo loading in this household.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 19, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The lesson to take away from this is: don't give notice to your lovely retail/restaurant boss.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Discendo Vox posted:

furry landlord would be an interesting component for a sitcom setup.

Landlord of furries? Or landlord who is a furry?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why not both

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Furry Landlord is a good username

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Landlord of furries? Or landlord who is a furry?

Landlord who is a furry. Character actor role, only appears in various fursuits. Useful for providing third act neighborly advice, or framing plot devices for individual episodes ("hello, I'm just showing your new neighbor around the building"). Can have a running gag of not seeing their face.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 21, 2019

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Landlord who is a furry. Character actor role, only appears in various fursuits. Useful for providing third act neighborly advice, or framing plot devices for individual episodes ("hello, I'm just showing your new neighbor around the building"). Can have a running gag of not seeing their face.

Fully sexual Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Fully sexual Wilson.