Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AccountSupervisor posted:

All of the background on HJ being gay is 2nd hand from "Under the Hood" and Before Watchmen. IIRC its never really said where that came from other than Sally Jupiters manager saying he set them up to cover it up. Someone correct me if Im wrong though.

A relationship between Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis is all but confirmed by Sally Jupiter in an interview she gives in the ancillary material from Chapter Nine, and their fate is the subject of one of the more interesting Watchmen fan theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you look in most of the parking lots there's electric chargers and whatnot. I think it was a project of Veidt's from the graphic novel?

Dr. Manhattan's, actually.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harlock posted:

Veidt: Rorsach the only way for this to work is you cant tell anyone

Also Veidt: *on video* Anyways Mr. President I made a giant fake squid

Lol.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Not sure how I feel about the squid getting revealed like that, especially having it shown to someone as low on the totem pole as a Junior Senator. Dan's in prison for life presumably taking the secret to his grave, Laurie's still in guilt ridden silence, Rorschach was disintegrated for not going along with the lie, his journal had the iconic status of being the single loose thread of Veidt's peace, and it's all undone by him literally recording every single detail and flashing it to everyone with a pulse in DC. Just seems a little too blatant compared to the gravity of the secret beforehand, maybe that's the point?

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 18, 2019

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The bad editing was leaving in the parts of the interview that regurgitated what we had just seen, just in can anyone wouldn't pick up that that character was looking-glass.

Also, props to casting and makeup for making young lg look so much like a Dave Gibbons drawing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Xenomrph posted:

Is everyone in the show driving electric cars? Am I only just now noticing this?

Yeah, that electric car whirring sound has been for everything since the opening. It really stood out to me on the lettuce truck since you’d expect it to have a clunky sounding exhaust.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

an expert posted:

The flash backs aren't bad editing, they're because the episode is focused on a character with PTSD who is experiencing flashbacks.

He had a traumatic flashback to the 7th Kavalry’s Skype message from a few days ago?

That aside, the flashbacks can have diegetic meaning and still be clunky and unnecessary.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Wade's gonna be okay, right...?

Poor dude has lived nothing but awful trauma. Being a young Jehovah's Witness in and of itself is awful, but then giant squid. Really good episode, I think he's boned though :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Nobody who’s been imperiled at the end of an episode has ever been killed at the beginning of the next, except for Hank in Breaking Bad. That’s just how tv works

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
gently caress yeah, an episode of tv that is carried by Tim Blake Nelson is a beautiful thing. The teaser for next week looks bonkers as poo poo, can’t wait.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It would be hilarious if they made a whole episode about this extremely fascinating character and the next episode starts off like "oh yeah right so he died after that, but anyway..."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Dog posted:

Nobody who’s been imperiled at the end of an episode has ever been killed at the beginning of the next, except for Hank in Breaking Bad. That’s just how tv works

Yeah but it’s not TV, it’s HBO.

........I’ll see myself out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

I'd guess the Senator is smart enough to realize they should not stir the nest by killing another police officer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Felt like the show didn't respect the audience enough. We get the flashback and then the stuff going on with Glass, and I'm like ohhhhh, he's the guy from the flashback, duh!

Then we get a literal cut between him and the flashback him, and then they do it like 4 more times just to make sure, HEY, AUDIENCE, THIS IS THE GUY FROM THE INTRO.

And then they even end up having a dialogue about how he was there on 11-whatever so did we really need it to be so spelled out?

Anyways good episode.

an expert posted:

The flash backs aren't bad editing, they're because the episode is focused on a character with PTSD who is experiencing flashbacks.

hmmm, I dunno, feels unnecessary.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

As mentioned earlier in the thread, all that stuff was to show that it’s constantly on the characters mind, not for the audience’s benefit

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

Sure but my opinion of the show as a whole hinges on getting more looking glass now. They can kill him off in the finale* but theres still four more episodes till it's over and he better be in 'em.

*They better not kill him in the finale either.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

The Wire, season 2, second to last episode.

It does happen, normally it's revealed at the beginning of the next episode on HBO shows.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's been a while since I've read the original comic so I'm not sure if this was mentioned at all or not, but apparently in Before Watchmen, Nite Owl I was a NYC cop about the same time William Reeves was. I wonder if it'll come up next episode.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
The Inter-dimensional Support Group's alias being "Friends of Nemo" is so good. Nemo like Captian Nemo, from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, with the squid. Not clownfish kids movie Nemo. Also "friend of Bill" is a support group alias for someone in AA, but I thought that was more obvious.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 18, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Peteypedia has some good poo poo this week. Petey ranting about AHS, a flier for Nostalgia, and the pamphlets from the support group.

E:I would absolutely buy a box set with the blu-ray of this show, the graphic novel, and various peteypedia inserts.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 18, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

soundtrack continues to whip rear end, next week's episode looks absolutely insane, this show is real good, can't believe we're already past the halfway mark.

this is gonna be a fun next 4 weeks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For the first half of the episode it was like non stop songs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Despera posted:

I just spent 10$ to tell you the Jupiter facing side of Europa would experience enough radiation to kill you easily in a day.

Also great show!

I mean, not "just"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Re: electric cars - during the Lube Man chase last week they ran through an auto shop advertising "electric conversion"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Darko posted:

The Wire, season 2, second to last episode.

It does happen, normally it's revealed at the beginning of the next episode on HBO shows.

this was my first thought too. extremely shameful that anybody would forget about frank like that

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So not knowing much about the comics, is it conclusive that there is no such thing as any weird psychic energy that happens during the squid rains?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Midgetskydiver posted:

So not knowing much about the comics, is it conclusive that there is no such thing as any weird psychic energy that happens during the squid rains?

Squid rain wasn't in the comics, so its anybody's guess.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So my current crack theory is the not-KKK is building the teleporter to get Veidt back. My first theory was that they wanted Veidt to reveal to the world that Redford's utopia is built on a lie that killed 3 million people, which would lead to a massive backlash and allow Joe Keene to conveniently run for president to undo all Redford's poo poo, but then I realized if that was the plan they could just leak the video.

The main defense of this plan is that the amount of people who saw the video is a short list known to the authorities, while "finding" Veidt and making him talk can conceivably be not a leak.

Where Lady Trieu and Will factor into all of this, I have no idea. My guess is that the teleporter is the only thing capable of reaching Europa, but we don't actually know if owlships can fly in space, do we?

Also are we to believe Looking Glass is a psyker and he has a supernatural power to detect spoken lies, or is he just an experienced cop?

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 18, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I did not like the sounds the dog went into the disintergator. That was just cruel.

God drat Looking Glass better be okay, and even if he is, I cannot wait to see every single 7k and Keene die horribly. Laurie, once she knows whats happening will certainly not be on Keenes side, but I think that most people aren't aware of her identity.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m a bit concerned that they’re going to have the 7K white supremacy be a false flag or cover for some other plan. That would have some really troubling implications for the politics of the show, considering the world we actually live in. That’s not a criticism of anything we’ve seen so far, just a pitfall I hope they can avoid.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The rich and powerful manipulate racists for their own corrupt ends? What's wrong with that message?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The facts are real, but I don't for a second believe that tape is.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Memnaelar posted:

The facts are real, but I don't for a second believe that tape is.

Senators story is probably true though - otherwise LG woulda thought it was fishy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The tape is real, however it was recorded by the Watchmen universe's version of the actor Jeremy Irons.

Jeremy Irons was brainwashed into believing he was the real Ozymandias and trapped on Jupiter as a distraction from the real Ozymandias, who is hiding in the shadows somewhere, enacting his evil plot...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

lurker2006 posted:

The rich and powerful manipulate racists for their own corrupt ends? What's wrong with that message?

Because the real world version is that the rich and powerful use racists for their own ends, which are also racist. The racism is the point, not some kind of cover for an ulterior motive

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also are we to believe Looking Glass is a psyker and he has a supernatural power to detect spoken lies, or is he just an experienced cop?
Maybe he's not good at detecting lies at all, and his whole lie detector machine is bullshit just like his former belief in the squids?
After all, this episode shows him getting duped repeatedly. I guess he was right that she's a radiologist...

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 18, 2019

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
god drat what a show.

I imagine 7K's plan involves somehow messing with Trieu's big clock unveiling in a very similar false-flag way as the squid attack, though what the 7K are really after still isn't immediately obvious? They were testing and calibrating sending something from their secret location to another, so you could do all sorts of bait-and-switch stuff to make it look like the clock did something that Trieu didn't intend.

Again we see in this episode the effects of generational trauma (the guy in the meeting talking about genetic memory), and with the pills in play, it looks like this is all leading to some reckoning with US racial history + Vietnam.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 18, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because the real world version is that the rich and powerful use racists for their own ends, which are also racist. The racism is the point, not some kind of cover for an ulterior motive

Username makes post but also sometimes the brutal racial hierarchy is used to mask brutal economic hierarchy but the two are intertwined in the US.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Username makes post but also sometimes the brutal racial hierarchy is used to mask brutal economic hierarchy but the two are intertwined in the US.

Lol sometimes I forget what my username is. I’ve thought about changing it but this is SA so whatever. To your point they are so intertwined that the economic brutality is largely based on race, making racism a main feature of said economic violence. I don’t think the show will go that way but it is the way a lot of clumsy narratives might handle a topic like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I was amused when the panda guy tried to convince Red Scare that Hooded Justice was actually Dr. Manhattan. It almost feels like a tongue-in-cheek reference to the people ITT and presumably elsewhere that claimed Jeremy Irons Veidt was actually Dr. Manhattan. Especially given that the scene was right after we found out where Veidt is.