Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you detect towering early enough, you can break the siege and just level your rear end off on their towers and workers. But if the opponent knows what the gently caress they're doing, they won't start to tower until they can defend the towers/their other units can contribute to the siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mata posted:

There are a lot of good reasons to quit at every stage when you're playing against towers.
But here's my tip if you meet us: experience and items are more important than gold, and if you fall behind in hero strength with no creep camps left, there's no amount of gold in the world that will get you back into the game. Most of our opponents stay in the game until we roll up to their armies with our tri-heroes and convert their entire army to an exp tome without losing anything.
Siege units, cloud, frost wyrms, chims, etc all have cost-effective counter-play if you use the right spells, but if the enemy team uses their army to creep all the red camps and now they have a level 5 tc with a blink dagger and 1500 health while we've got trashy 3/1/1 heroes that die and increase the enemy exp lead as soon as they step outside the towers, the game is lost.

Yup... and the right move is probably still to quit, because if you get into that late game it can a couple hours, and towa is really good at the late game value play so you likely will lose a 2 hour match.

The WoW smack down is pretty harsh in the game so far. going from no rts to 1v1 play is rough.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

uniball posted:

we got the rest of clan towa to "preorder" and now we're playing full on 4s AT games. but it allows AT vs RT, or i guess more complicated than that since you can queue 4s together as a group of 2 or 3. anyway it's wonderful

so this afternoon we had this sick close game on the dogshit map "Feralas". i mean look at this chat:

we were playing 3s-in-4s, and our pubbie (purple) wasn't happy with us. they got us right down to the edge but some late interventions changed up the landscape. here's the vid

after that we have a less strenuous but totally silly game on market square, with a full 4 stack. check out all these numbers:

there are some fully ridiculous teamfights where our heroes clean out entire 4s armies without losses. they were bad players and that's part of the fun. here's the vid

:eyepop: how well do Undead heroes handle the towers and heroes only strat?

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
A few thoughts on reforged unit appearances and portraits. First, team colors are clearly not visible enough on some units. Second, some clearly aren't quality enough yet.

But overall, I'd be curious the post-release opinions of people completely new to both reforged and warcraft 3, because I remember how damned confusing and hard to see the unit appearances and portraits were back in 2003. I remember a bunch of creeps I felt like didn't match their portraits at all. What made everything easily identifiable more than anything was familiarity and the passage of time. So I feel like getting a totally objective comparison whether or not or how much this has been made worse requires the perspective of completely fresh people, because us veterans can't see the game the same way we did way back when.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

quote:

[36:20.271] <all> Simian#1618: I can see this 15 year old game still needs some balance changes lol
[36:25.186] <all> BEARAND#1604: what do you suggest?
[36:38.534] <all> BEARAND#1604: buff headhunters, nerf heroes?
[36:42.740] <all> Simian#1618: nerfing the paladins immune for one, eliminating immune on teleport scrolls for 2
[36:54.232] <all> BEARAND#1604: lol
[36:57.970] <all> TIMG4STRok#1212: it's hard to click in this game
[37:00.191] <all> Asmoline#1576: the teleport is pretty dumb :P
[37:05.200] <all> Simian#1618: actually having to take a risk with your units vs "oh im in trouble, warp out"

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

a solid 12 hour day of grinding out the wigs. the only way we can see that the game keeps track of your record is "Achievements.json", and by our estimation we're something like 25-0. the players are so bad that with our rusty towering we have not lost an actual game yet (desyncs don't count)

if it weren't for the manabars, hero levels, and nonstretched widescreen, this could easily be a screenshot we took in 2009:

this was the game of the day - on monsoon, a choketower map, we lose iggy's base to an early rush. can we make it work? don't read the first line of this post if you don't want spoiler

nothing too wild but here's a solid 4s on feralas showcasing Iceberg Slim's triumphant return to war3, playing...undead

in another blatant backstab, here's a pretty easy monsoon where Mata goes undead, but regrets his decision and manages to get a peasant and build a blood mage. lol

iggy posted the chatlog above - this gnoll wood 3s game was easy, but the players got super pissed off when we asked them whether they arrived at war3 via WoW:

at least one of those players also joined my twitch stream to indicate their displeasure:

quote:

happychipmunk: Do you ever get bored of running the same strat every game? same build order?
happychipmunk: I noticed you guys were saying "man there's so many poo poo noobs posting on the forums" you realize there's a tonne of players who haven't touched this game in 10+ years right?
happychipmunk: Like the vast majority of people checking this out aren't try hards running the same strat game after game?
happychipmunk: Just about as boring as spamming towers and playing the same game since 2003
joodat95: are you guys americans or Irish?
happychipmunk: sometimes I build 5 towers in a row and sometimes 6, the amount of variation in this strat is insane!
happychipmunk: I dont know a single build, im 5 games in

also it's super sick to tower the mana fountain in the middle of gnoll wood. infinite juice

to close out our night, here's a 4s on market square that was unfortunately cut short before its prime. this is the bug in question. maybe we'll start learning the reforged graphics now? it's sooo much harder after 15 years of playing classic...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I absolutely love the fact that Clan TOWA will never die. :allears: I can't wait for the rage that will happen when the proper Highperch map gets added to the game.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The opponents are really truly poo poo, half the games I played was just letting them build units and kill a couple creeps before a mercy kill.

The one exception was a map hacker, which was impressive how quickly someone is cheating, and real weird given how not needed it is. He was at best mediocre.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

He was at best mediocre.
Yep, that's a maphacker all right!

My favorite games are ones where I'm accused of maphacking because I correctly anticipate the enemy's trajectory or catch a glimpse of their army when they're not paying attention, or get accused of unit hacking? because I move my injured units out of and back into combat, or resource hacking because my intensely-micro'd army has taken down a starving opponent who's depleted two mines. :allears:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

clip: having some fun on market square. we did this at least 5 more times until pink quit

clip: mata doubted me. but i showed him

we had more classic graphics only desyncs so we're all on reforged graphics now. takes some getting used to but we're still mining the depths of bnet for noobs

(iggy made no heroes in that game)

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The reforged towers look like literal garbage. Much like your play, especially in the opening. :getin:

All the other reforged stuff in that screenshot looks legit, although I'm confused about how you have two dwarfs and a human hero apparently. Is one the archmage somehow? The paladin also looks ultra dorky & old and doesn't have his luscious brown beard-locks or leather helmet.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 19, 2019

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

The reforged towers look like literal garbage. Much like your play, especially in the opening. :getin:

All the other reforged stuff in that screenshot looks legit, although I'm confused about how you have two dwarfs and a human hero apparently. Is one the archmage somehow? The paladin also looks ultra dorky & old and doesn't have his luscious brown beard-locks or leather helmet.

The left one is archmage. The graphics are fun but you can't really recognize most units. Abominations are still pretty easy. The game feels like some sort of playable alpha though, there's a lot lacking outside in-game graphics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The portraits being literal pictures of the units really doesn’t help differentiate between them. Archmage is white man with beard, paladin is a white man with a beard, mountain king is a white man with a beard. At least original hero icons had a little oddity/uniqueness to them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jokes posted:

The portraits being literal pictures of the units really doesn’t help differentiate between them. Archmage is white man with beard, paladin is a white man with a beard, mountain king is a white man with a beard. At least original hero icons had a little oddity/uniqueness to them.

Yeah the aesthetic here is hosed up bad. This weird poo poo they are doing doesn't look like WoW or War3 and it's at best mediocre.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah the aesthetic here is hosed up bad. This weird poo poo they are doing doesn't look like WoW or War3 and it's at best mediocre.

I was just thinking about this, the heroes don't look like their War3 equivilents OR like any sort of WoW character. What's the style supposed to be here? (It's mobile game)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Half of Dracula posted:

I was just thinking about this, the heroes don't look like their War3 equivilents OR like any sort of WoW character. What's the style supposed to be here? (It's mobile game)

They're trying to be different from the actual important lore heroes. Mountain King no longer looks identical to Muradin. Paladin no longer looks like Uther. Hell, even all the generic one-off Paladins now have their own models.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Paladin portrait no longer looks like Uther, or anything that should exist in a just universe

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Pretty much all of the art for Reforged is outsourced from what I understand. So between a weak art director and outsourcers who take direction literally, this is what you get.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Fiskiggy posted:

Paladin portrait no longer looks like Uther, or anything that should exist in a just universe

I haven't had much of a problem with any of the models or assets for Reforged but here I am looking at Uther with a Vanilla Ice cut and good God is that bad

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
:argh: this game is so loving hard. Should noobs start with 1v1s or team games?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Doc Walrus posted:

If you've never played before, boot up the original and play through a campaign or two first.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tubgoat posted:

If you've never played before, boot up the original and play through a campaign or two first.

Didn't they bork the original last patch?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

Didn't they bork the original last patch?

If you already had it installed I think it should be fine. I've played through the campaigns recently and some vs. AI which I guess I'll go back to. I was hoping players in Reforged would be different from the superveterans in original wc3.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Doc Walrus posted:

If you already had it installed I think it should be fine. I've played through the campaigns recently and some vs. AI which I guess I'll go back to. I was hoping players in Reforged would be different from the superveterans in original wc3.

I'll give it a spin. I've been aching for another playthrough, but I heard that they made it unplayable at some point.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
it's not unplayable, but there are a few bugs along the way. A couple of levels where your hero loses their inventory, for example. But it's absolutely playable. Youtuber Jayborino just recently did a playthrough of the original campaigns (reign of Chaos right through to the end of the Frozen Throne undead campaign) on Hard Mode.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

I haven't had much of a problem with any of the models or assets for Reforged but here I am looking at Uther with a Vanilla Ice cut and good God is that bad

There's also a laughably bad volcano attack effect.

I wish Blizzard would move off of cannibalizing its designs from 10 and 20 years ago, but that's gone from being an aesthetic choice based on the best possible user experience for the techology and at-the-time trends to becoming a lurching Brand Frankenstein that won't die. Other companies stopped making games that look like WoW 10 years ago.

Like someone posted a menu screenshot from upthread and it's just woofwoofbarf, no thought is being put into this.

Very little of it is Paladin Portrait levels of bad but it all sucks.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's strange because WoW still has amazing art direction (to the point where people regularly say the art team is carrying the game) even if the graphical fidelity still isn't great, but Reforged's art seems like the exact opposite. Yeah, I'm sure it's got plenty of pixels and polygons and whatever but it just looks so... dull. It's like they wanted to do a more "realistic" style but only went halfway so now it's just a big mess. I would honestly rather they just remade the game using similar models to modern WoW - I think it would still look significantly better.

Yeah, it doesn't always look that bad, and some of the designs are actually pretty good (the non-humans, at least), but when the game's main selling point is a graphical upgrade what we have now is pretty disappointing.

Edit: I have not actually played the game so it may all look better in motion and during actual gameplay - that's a factor a lot of people tend to forget to consider. For example: me, just now.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 20, 2019

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Doc Walrus posted:

Try FFA

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Doc Walrus posted:

Whatever gets you playing the game and having fun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 20, 2019

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Restarted WC3 campaigns and I'm doing some vs. AI to get the hang of efficient creeping/ base mgmt. I'll try FFA soon.

Why couldn't they just use HOTS assets/ art style for Reforged? They had a ton of modernized Warcraft units and heroes already.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
lmao the 3D portrait for the wisp is literally just a floating head

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I like the look of most of the Night Elf stuff. The buildings all look awesome. Unfortunately those Hyppogryphs look terrible and any humanoid portraits still looks dumb. It mostly just looks like a lighting issue though. Try to find a clip of the female DH in metamorphosis.

I wish they had gone the StarCraft route and just went for a remaster. They really look like they got stuck in a tricky situation where they wanted to re imagine everything but then they wanted to keep everything backwards compatible with the classic client. That then opens the door to every change getting nitpicked for being too different and suddenly the whole package seems incoherent or half baked.

If they want to reforge something they should do Warcraft 2. Give it a true gameplay revamp and some really well done new 2d art.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The 3D portraits all look unfinished.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrBox posted:

If they want to reforge something they should do Warcraft 2. Give it a true gameplay revamp and some really well done new 2d art.

Yeah I'd love to see them remake the first and second wars in a modern engine, although they'd probably just ruin them.

At least War1 is unplayable now so there's not much to ruin. War2 was so loving good so I'm a little hesitant there.

I posted a few pages back, somebody remade War1 and War2 inside War3, and presumably the same custom campaigns should work in reforged (maybe) so you could potentially play those.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'd love to see them remake the first and second wars in a modern engine, although they'd probably just ruin them.

At least War1 is unplayable now so there's not much to ruin. War2 was so loving good so I'm a little hesitant there.

I posted a few pages back, somebody remade War1 and War2 inside War3, and presumably the same custom campaigns should work in reforged (maybe) so you could potentially play those.

War2, while better than War1, still gets old after a short while. You can only rush to ogre mages or wish you didn't need to set up control groups for every nine guys so many times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

War2, while better than War1, still gets old after a short while. You can only rush to ogre mages or wish you didn't need to set up control groups for every nine guys so many times.

Yeah, the tech trees are too simple and mirrored, and the control groups makes things needlessly busy work.

But war1 has loving roads and a max select of what. 4 dudes? And no control groups at all? Its excruciating.

War2 looks so good still to this day, the sprites are so charming.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'm having fun with the multiplayer beta, but I do wish they'd taken a more hands-on apporach to balance. I can see some are having fun with their old cheese strategies, but Reforged seems like a great opportunity to refresh the gameplay too.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Not a huge fan of the new icons. Maybe it's nostalgia but I feel like all they did was remove that polished feeling that Samwise was known for. Then again maybe he's gone now, I can't figure out if he retired like Metzen did.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Muscular Typist posted:

Not a huge fan of the new icons. Maybe it's nostalgia but I feel like all they did was remove that polished feeling that Samwise was known for. Then again maybe he's gone now, I can't figure out if he retired like Metzen did.

half of these are changed for no reason. lightning shield, mana burn, death coil, blizzard, brilliance aura, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This seems like a ridiculously open ended and impossible to objectively answer question but what is the most difficult feat of micromanagement in ladder play? I mean sometimes you'll be watching a replay and see something ridiculous and you'll be like wow I could never do that in 100 years but what is the epitome of that