Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Power enhancing drugs? Gigantified villain battles? Fatgum's past busting of drug dealers? For all this and more, read My Hero Academia: Vigilantes!

It’s been said before but Vigilantes really needs an anime adaptation at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
red riot looks so hosed up in color, i love it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That flashback doesn't make any sense to me. It was right after the All For One fight, right? So that was five or six years ago. So why was Nezu there talking about Mirio who wouldn't have even been at UA yet?

I interpret it as being five or six years ago because Nighteye makes his prediction and then we go to the present where All Might says it's been five years now.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

NikkolasKing posted:

That flashback doesn't make any sense to me. It was right after the All For One fight, right? So that was five or six years ago. So why was Nezu there talking about Mirio who wouldn't have even been at UA yet?

He wasn't talking about Mirio at all during the flashback to All Mights and Nighteyes argument. He was just suggesting at that time that looking for a successor amongst student is an option.
He talked about Mirio during a completely different flashback shown in an earlier episode, when All Might actually became a teacher, which would've been some time during or slightly before season 1.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Red Riot Rules

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

He wasn't talking about Mirio at all during the flashback to All Mights and Nighteyes argument. He was just suggesting at that time that looking for a successor amongst student is an option.
He talked about Mirio during a completely different flashback shown in an earlier episode, when All Might actually became a teacher, which would've been some time during or slightly before season 1.

Huh, you're right. My bad then.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fatgum is also very good.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
To be precise about the timeline in regards to All Might, Nighteye, Deku, and Mirio, using the current time in the series as the point of reference:

- 6 years ago: All Might fights and pops the top of the head off of All for One, receiving a severe injury in the process. Nighteye predicts All Might's death in six or seven years.
- Around April last year: All Might is invited to teach at UA and is told about Mirio
- Soon after: He meets Deku and decides to train him. We know this is in April because UA Entry Exams are in February and Deku trained for 10 months, receiving One for All on the day of the Entry Exams
- September of last year: Togata Mirio receives his provisional license.
- In roughly September or early October of last year: All Might informs Nighteye of his decision. Nighteye disagrees and takes Mirio under his wing to train a worthy successor. (It would have to be September or October because Mirio would need his provisional license to work for Nighteye. In addition, the Japanese school year starts in April and runs for three months before Summer break at the end of July and beginning of August. Meaning it is currently September or October, as they have already had Summer break, and Mirio says he's been working with Nighteye for about a year.)

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 17, 2019

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Larryb posted:

It’s been said before but Vigilantes really needs an anime adaptation at some point.

Well if the anime starts catching up with the manga, they might take a season off to adapt a season of vigilantes instead. Kind of like how they did a season of railgun between two seasons of index.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Soft boi: Goes hard
Red Riot: Unbreakable
Fat Gum: Chubby and lovable
Amajiki: Anxiety personified
Trigger: Read Vigilantes
Shigaraki: Foot on table
This episode: Amazing

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What was Kirishima's flashback referencing? The "I should have gone" thing?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

What was Kirishima's flashback referencing? The "I should have gone" thing?

Nothing that the anime has covered so far.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Nakamura cuts in MHA are so weirdly picked half the time. After the one solid gold one (Deku vs Todoroki), his first cut this season is that fight between the two giant guys right at the start of the episode.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Nothing that the anime has covered so far.

Ah cool, I was worried I missed a post-end scene or something. I missed so many of those in the first two seasons.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Ah cool, I was worried I missed a post-end scene or something. I missed so many of those in the first two seasons.
OP/ED skipper spotted. :byodood: DOGPILE!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't like this idea that the two of them should've simultaneously wordlessly gambled both of their lives against an enemy they know nothing about is like, a total no brainer or really simple or whatever. like whether or not you agree with mirio's (and eventually deku's) choice the reasons why it's a difficult and complex one are obvious

I mean, putting your rear end on the line is lierally in the job description.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, putting your rear end on the line is lierally in the job description.

there's obviously a difference between that basic concept and the situation they were in

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Objectively, sure, but the show makes the point time and again that the mark of a true hero is putting your life/safety on the line without even thinking (i.e. the thing Deku did while Quirkless to try and save Bakugo that convinced All Might to pick him as successor) - you can obviously debate whether Mirio was in the right strategically or whatever but the show is pretty open about how it idolizes heroism, especially if it's self-endangering heroism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Conot posted:

Objectively, sure, but the show makes the point time and again that the mark of a true hero is putting your life/safety on the line without even thinking (i.e. the thing Deku did while Quirkless to try and save Bakugo that convinced All Might to pick him as successor) - you can obviously debate whether Mirio was in the right strategically or whatever but the show is pretty open about how it idolizes heroism, especially if it's self-endangering heroism.
Deku's exploded arms say "perhaps a synthesis is slowly being reached"

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

Deku's exploded arms say "perhaps a synthesis is slowly being reached"

Sure I mean, the show isn't scared of saying "hey deku maybe don't literally implode your limbs" in the same way All Might probably shouldn't have kept heroing after basically having the lower half of his torso obliterated but those are two different morals technically.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, the conflict between doing the right thing and doing the smart thing and how much a hero needs to lean to either side and what the drawbacks of each are is a consistent theme. That's sort of my point, it seems dumb and lame to casually dismiss either side of it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes, the conflict between doing the right thing and doing the smart thing and how much a hero needs to lean to either side and what the drawbacks of each are is a consistent theme. That's sort of my point, it seems dumb and lame to casually dismiss either side of it

Yeah, it's two different, but valid ways of approaching hero work. That being said, Deku's immediate reaction being "we have to save this girl" while Mirio's immediate reaction was "we have to stick to the plan" really illustrates why Deku, rather than Mirio, is the right choice to inherit One For All.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
It's a bit of a case of idealism vs pragmatism, I think.

Even when Deku charged in to rescue Bakugo, he didn't really have any means of actually doing so. If All Might hadn't been there he would either be dead or got someone else hurt. My Lady couldn't fit, Kamui Woods couldn't go in without burning up, and the firefight guy who I can't remember was keeping the fire from spreading and doing crowd control.

With Mirio and Deku, they both obviously know something is up. I don't think Mirio is letting her go because bagging Overhaul is more important than a child; just at the time he feels there isn't enough info to act on yet.

As others have said, it's not really a matter of one being right and one being wrong. It's a lovely situation all the way around, and I feel they did a good job of conveying that.

E: Fatgum is fantastic, Tamaki was animated very well, and the splash screens of Kirishima were rad. I hope we get to see more of Uraraka and Froppy with Dragon Lady.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 18, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how characters like nighteye and mirio aren't being presented negatively for taking the smart attitude towards hero work. Nighteye comes across as a tragic guy who really wanted to stop his hero from self destructing but his only power is knowing ahead of time that it'll definitely happen. Him pleading for all might to retire comes across as pretty sympathetic, when it'd be so easy and obvious to present him as a guy coldly and emotionlessly laying out the logical facts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Did not appreciate Ashida's gesture when talking about having fans.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
There's a difference between "putting your life on the line" and "being loving stupid and reckless". Heroes need to put their lives on the line but they also need to have some common sense and know when to pick their battles.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Heroes don't need plans - Snow Villiers, certified hero. Checks out to me :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, what if Tsu’s quirk is actually the same as Suneater’s? :byodood:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, what if Tsu’s quirk is actually the same as Suneater’s? :byodood:

Are frog legs a delicacy in Japan?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't imagine Froppy doing that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There's a difference between "putting your life on the line" and "being loving stupid and reckless". Heroes need to put their lives on the line but they also need to have some common sense and know when to pick their battles.

Honestly, that seems to be what really made All Might what he was - he never needed to pick his battles, and never needed to compromise on doing the right thing, because he could never lose. That's what made him the symbol of peace, and that's what Izuku aspires to be.

Of course, while Izuku has all of the raw power All Might had, he needs the skill and experience to actually attain that level of untouchability. But he's shown he has the right mindset for when he does.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, that seems to be what really made All Might what he was - he never needed to pick his battles, and never needed to compromise on doing the right thing, because he could never lose. That's what made him the symbol of peace, and that's what Izuku aspires to be.

Of course, while Izuku has all of the raw power All Might had, he needs the skill and experience to actually attain that level of untouchability. But he's shown he has the right mindset for when he does.

Being willing to charge in without hesitation when someone is in trouble in the face of overwhelming opposition is literally the thing he did to earn One for All, yeah.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I really like Centipeder's voice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I really hope this doesn't turn into a "the girls are used as bait" plot, given what their boss lady said.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Starsnostars posted:

I really like Centipeder's voice.

I really dislike Centipeder's voice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh hey, look at that, the text explicitly validated Deku's instincts to save Eri and explicitly categorized Mirio's play to wait for a better moment as a mistake - albeit a reasonable one brought on by lack of intel. Who could have predicted

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not sure what I expected Centipeder's voice to be like, but it wasn't... that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's nice to hear L's va getting work again.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh hey, look at that, the text explicitly validated Deku's instincts to save Eri and explicitly categorized Mirio's play to wait for a better moment as a mistake - albeit a reasonable one brought on by lack of intel. Who could have predicted

Did you miss the part where Gran Torino pointed out rushing into a situation and not getting Eri would make things worse? Or Aizawa pointing out that it wasn't necessarily despair that Eri felt when Deku missed her hand in that moment.

The best outcome would have been Deku and Mirio successfully grabbing Eri and getting away. The worst outcome would have been Deku and Mirio unsuccessfully grabbing Eri. They don't know what the outcome would have been, but even if they knew failure rate at that time was 100% they'd be real lovely heroes if they didn't feel awful about not trying once they found out what was happening to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Aizawa is such a drat cool guy. I really like his little moment with Deku here.