Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Boz0r posted:

Do you PC guys have your dodge rebound? Double tapping Z is really awkward.
YES. I rebound dodge to R. Droid interact to T. It's not perfect. You tend to favour dodging to the left because of where your fingers are on WASD. last boss has a thrust attack you need to dodge right for that that specifically hosed me. but otherwise no big problems. If I had a five button mouse at the moment i would rebind dodge to one of those.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

It was honestly the only fight in the game that I hated. I finally just turned the difficulty down to beat it. She cheats A LOT, like just passes through or ignores your hits, has crazy homing on all of her attacks, etc.

I mean the half hour or so afterward was really great so I’m glad I touched it out, but I thought about just hanging it up for a second there.

Ha! I just did the exact same thing after a half dozen frustrated attempts. And the post-fight cutscenes were pretty lovely, yeah. I like how earnest and vulnerable everybody was throughout the game. It wasn't especially well written, but I'll take poorly-written growth and healing through openness in favour of poorly-written cynical nihilism.

Could have used at least a few more hours of Cal introducing his new girlfriend to his unimpressed parents that poo poo was gold.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Finished the game today. It was alright, I guess. Like I previously said the story is good while everything else is anywhere from mediocre to just dumb. It's not as good as people say it is while also not being as bad as others are saying it is. It is the best Star Wars game in years but that is more of a testament to EA totally loving up the license than on how good this game is. Overall I liked it because of the story but it frustrated me more than it should have because of game mechanics and design decisions. I would still like to see Respawn have another go at Star Wars.

End game stuff.

Cera is talking to Trilla and then all of a sudden you see the fear in Triila's eyes. Then you hear the breathing. As soon as I heard it I said out loud, "We're hosed". I am so glad they made it a chase scene than fighting Vader. It would have ruined Vader if you had Cal fight him and live. Vader is a bad rear end who annihilated everything whose only weakness is a teenage moisture farmer. .

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Pretty far from finishing I think but yeah think I'd have been way happier if I paid in the $30-40 range instead of $60. I'll definitely replay it again but all the boxes and items and poo poo are just pointless. Funny for an EA game that promised to have no lootboxes or microtransactions that last $20 seems to have covered that base.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The items are really weird. I think they'd intended to have a more expansive God of War style loot system but abandoned it for time (along with all the other undercooked elements of the game), but they already had a backtracking game world that could be sold as a Metroidvania set up. If they'd just gone the whole hog on copying Sekiro it would have been a better game. The lack of NG+ to allegedly preserve the flow of this tightly wrought game is laughable too.

I tried to backtrack through Zeffo since I missed lots in that zone, but I only did about five map areas before quitting. I wish I could say nice things about this game but every element of it falls just short of being good, outside of the story which I thought was very standard, but it's a well told star wars story and credit for that.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Why is it that sometimes I can instakill an enemy after a successful parry/guard break but sometimes it only lets me hit them once? I just beat a boss fight with a lightsaber user and it seemed that spamming slow to get a few cheap hits in was the only reasonable strategy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spermando posted:

Why is it that sometimes I can instakill an enemy after a successful parry/guard break but sometimes it only lets me hit them once? I just beat a boss fight with a lightsaber user and it seemed that spamming slow to get a few cheap hits in was the only reasonable strategy.

You can learn the timing to parry them out of stamina but I've noticed a lot of bosses don't regen stamina, they just suddenly return to max after a particular move, so it's basically pointless trying to go for a guard break and using slow is the universal answer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any way to drop down to a climbable surface from a ledge above it? Like, climb down? The drop button doesn’t seem to do it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kibayasu posted:

Is there any way to drop down to a climbable surface from a ledge above it? Like, climb down? The drop button doesn’t seem to do it.

Can't you just press the "grab surface" button after you let go? I thought I'd done that a couple times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't you just press the "grab surface" button after you let go? I thought I'd done that a couple times.

I mean drop to a climbable surface while standing on the ground above it. It seems like you’re not supposed to do it because it feels like I’m playing an FPS in 2001 and trying to climb down a ladder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

I mean drop to a climbable surface while standing on the ground above it. It seems like you’re not supposed to do it because it feels like I’m playing an FPS in 2001 and trying to climb down a ladder.

Fall off and spin around is the only way

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Finished the game earlier. It's pretty good and I look forward to a sequel. I was surprised to see Darth Vader. They reference the character but I figured they'd save it for the sequel. I thought Saw would be their one movie character they could include. I thought spoiler character was done well.

I got all the cosmetics but didn't get all the plants or scans. My only complaint for the cosmetics is that there's not really different outfits. Jacket or poncho and that's it. And it takes way too drat long before you get different color crystals.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kibayasu posted:

Gotcha, misread what you meant. Yeah, the above answer I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone mentioned that BD-1 is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTech_Socrates

edit: Just realized the wiki link doesn't show the actual robot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb5Im7lwc6g

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ugh, just got my first actual crash. Just trying to do a save/meditate point right before the fight pit and it instantly went to the PS4 error screen. Looks like it went fine after restarting, fingers crossed that it was just something sporadic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Pretty far from finishing I think but yeah think I'd have been way happier if I paid in the $30-40 range instead of $60. I'll definitely replay it again but all the boxes and items and poo poo are just pointless. Funny for an EA game that promised to have no lootboxes or microtransactions that last $20 seems to have covered that base.

I’m just glad everyone is putting brand new short-ish single player games on their live services. This and outer worlds for $16 is a steal. The two games for $120 is a robbery.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, just got my first actual crash. Just trying to do a save/meditate point right before the fight pit and it instantly went to the PS4 error screen. Looks like it went fine after restarting, fingers crossed that it was just something sporadic.

My first (and so far only) crash was at the same general point, after the fight.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

My first (and so far only) crash was at the same general point, after the fight.

mine too. i’ve since had a second full crash to home screen when entering the tomb on dathomir. plenty of full 10-15 second freezes as well. near constant framerate fluctuation and light stuttering in large open areas. lot of pop in too.

the jank is a little surprising, one thing I couldn’t say about BF2 was that it wasn’t incredibly polished. Titanfall 2 ran like a dream too. Its not like theres a lot of stuff going on in this game either, like it looks good but not moreso than any average AAA title these days and the environments are pretty standard 3D action adventure without many moving parts. It’s not like there’s a lot of systems at play here. and they to hogwild with the narrow crevice disguised loading screens, so it’s not like it’s ever really trying to track and render all that much at once

also what’s with all the loving slides. the climbing and big crate and ball puzzles, sure whatever, video games. a little lazy but i can appreciate it from a classic kind of view. but there are SO MANY slides. they’re like major integral parts of almost every world’s level design, it’s so silly. kind of hard to get immersed in the ambience when every other room on Zeffo is connected by that penguin slide challenge from Mario 64

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Mandrel posted:

also what’s with all the loving slides. the climbing and big crate and ball puzzles, sure whatever, video games. a little lazy but i can appreciate it from a classic kind of view. but there are SO MANY slides. they’re like major integral parts of almost every world’s level design, it’s so silly. kind of hard to get immersed in the ambience when every other room on Zeffo is connected by that penguin slide challenge from Mario 64
a lot of area design reminded me of the cell shaded prince of persia game from 2008. maybe that was just the last serious 3d platformer i've completed..

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Game's been fine since then, that and the one oddball WHOOPS GOTTA RELOAD I mentioned earlier have been the only big technical issues.

Mandrel posted:

These feel like the most direct (and mindless, and unfun) rip from Tomb Raider, with the unintentional ice slide silliness I assume coming from someone's bright idea to have a reason for sliding without actively having rivers everywhere. You'd think a Jedi would excel at this kind of thing, but they feel like the most slapdash, clumsily out-of-control sections of the game, and I don't like them. Those sequences and the lack of fast travel are my two main enjoyment-affecting issues so far.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, it seems like a weird choice to focus on so much cosmetic stuff, especially for a single player game. It's not *wrecking* it for me, I'd still be having fun without any collectibles, but it'd be nice to have something more interesting.

I bet when they started developing this game the cosmetics and such were fully intended to be microtransaction based, but at some point in the last 6 years with all the poo poo EA has taken for that kind of thing they decided to take microtransactions out and just had some intern scatter the chests about the levels.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I guess the health, force and droid upgrades are supposed to be enough. When you only have a lightsaber it’s tough to throw more stuff out there. I just got what I imagine is the last upgrade on Kashyyk (security droid hacking). It’s nice to have extra tanks but yeah the variety is definitely lacking. Also once you have the free kashyyk poncho other clothes are meaningless.

I feel like I’ve finally completely internalized the combat. Whenever a bounty hunter spawn drops instead of being like “ah gently caress I’ll probably die” it’s more of a “ooh extra skill point xp” situation.

To whoever was asking about boss fights earlier, one thing that helps in any fight with a tougher enemy, but especially bosses is a single tap evade out of an attack and then attack while the enemy is still attacking, it just straight up damages them. It’s the only reasonable way to kill those loving annoying duel wielding purge troopers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After finishing the second trip to Zeffo I was heading back to the Mantis but got sidetracked into the ice caves. Fought a bounty hunter droid there, died to it, got taken the arena, got out. But the dialogue before the ice cave suggested something might have been happening at the Mantis. Did I miss something?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not really you’ll see when you get back.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't believe this game doesn't have NG+ so you can just fight the bosses and watch the story again with all your poo poo. The games not interesting enough to warrant collecting all the stupid garbage a second time. Good grief. I just want to listen to lightsaber make whirring noise and see the dumb as gently caress choreography in the flashback bit again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dogen posted:

Yeah I was shook for a minute when I lost there but it turns out to be plot related. The next one that shows up, though, caught me at a low point and disappeared after I died and reloaded, so I guess those are just temporary challenges :arghfist::confused:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah I was shook for a minute when I lost there but it turns out to be plot related. The next one that shows up, though, caught me at a low point and disappeared after I died and reloaded, so I guess those are just temporary challenges :arghfist::confused:

There’s some chance they show up whenever you go through particular rooms. If you do some backtracking to collect crap you’ll fight a fair few.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dogen posted:

Was it the droid and friend in the hanger?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Spermando posted:

I think I can count on one hand the number of times in the game so far that I've remembered that you can use Slow in combat. I mostly just hit people with lightsaber skills and never use my force powers.

But from a few pages back, does anyone have a video of the cutscene when you get the double blade the right way. I thought it was super weird that it just showed up with no fanfare when I randomly tried to customize my lightsaber sheath in the first 2 hours of the game once. But whenever I try to look for the cutscene I just find articles like 'How to get the Double-blade early' and such.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of bounty droids how the gently caress do you dodge their charge attack? Is it just really right timing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of bounty droids how the gently caress do you dodge their charge attack? Is it just really right timing?

I couldn't figure out a way to do it that wasn't be a very long distance from them to begin with. You might be able to double jump over them?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just finished. knew it was coming at the end at it was still awesome and terrifying

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I find some more of those +estus chests? I'm on kashyyk and I've still only found the one on the vault planet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Where can I find some more of those +estus chests? I'm on kashyyk and I've still only found the one on the vault planet.

Look for areas with secrets and find the secrets. I think I found two on vault world and one on Kashyyk for a total of six, then I didn't bother getting more. Maybe I got them on Zeffo? I got six really quickly is all I recall.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

If you look at the map you’ll see a “secrets” collectibles category. These are life essences, Force essences, or stims.

Assuming you’re on your first visit to Wookiee planet then one I remember is easy to get but also easy to miss. On Zeffo just past the hanger where a couple of the rats are fighting over a stormtrooper there’s a small arena where a bunch of them come out of holes. Instead of moving toward the abandoned village look around and you’ll see a cave.

I think you should have Force push right? There’s another directly below the landing pad on Bogano. You have to do a little pushing with a ball through a fence but eventually you can get it into the hole.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: I'm stuck with a puzzle on kashyyk. There's a climbing wall directly next to a running wall at 90-degrees. When I try to jump off the climbing-wall cal resolutely continues to face it, meaning I can't face the running wall and can't run on it. What button presses do I need to do to make him transition from a climbing-wall to a running-wall?

Edit: I was locked onto Kashyyk once I visited, but hopefully I'll be able to return to the Mantis soon.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 18, 2019

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

What's the last ability you get that allows you to find everything on every planet, so I know when it's worth bothering to backtrack?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Seedge posted:

What's the last ability you get that allows you to find everything on every planet, so I know when it's worth bothering to backtrack?

So far have managed to 100% Bogano and Kashyyyk after getting double jump/"force flip".

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I am undecided....this game fells okay, but also absolutely overrated after 3 days of playing.

Pros:
- Game is hard on the highest level, so the trolls who called it too easy, were wrong, like always.
- Combat is good, love the dual wield
- big areas for Exploration
- If you did not explore everything, it definitley might have Replayability
- You can construct and mod your light sabre
- you visit iconic planets of the universe, the game fits in the Star Wars timeline

Cons:

Well, thats a strange one. The story is meh, but that's a POV thing. Next, there is no Impearial route and/or "Force Power" alternate route or story, so that's quite linear, okay, that was the story around Cal to begin with.
I also get this is not a next Jedi Academy or Dark Forces and you don't play a high end Jedi master but a Padawan.
I still hoped for some more RPG and/op SW:KOTOR options or more options to develop.

It was a slug later on for me keeping ony playing. The Parcours elements got old fast for me: Run, jump, slide, swing, climb across the same areas over and over and over and here and there reflecting blaster bolts back. Oh and there is a closed door again, so backtrack and jump and swing and wallrun and jump and platform up and down.... yawn.
There is so much repitition and boring stretched moments.

And that is it, despite many good elements, it all felt like a worse mix of a Star Wars lore game and Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia Plattform and Traveresal experience for me.
Some comment was that Jedi Fallen Order looks and plays like an exaggerated toy commercial, and I gotta agree in some way

I guess it is still a solid 7 of 10 for me, but I don't get the 9/10 and 10/10 reviews, that is deluded Star Wars fanboy/girl bullshit.
Or most reviewers maybe are spamming 10 of 10s because compared to other EA games, this is a masterpiece and pro consumer gem without mtx.
But realistically, this is just an above average game.

The way Cal and the story develop, it is obvious there will follow a Fallen Order 2

Funnily, that game made me wanna play Star Wars Battlefront 2 again, as this serves my Star Wars Battle and Infantry Combat laser gun pew pew itch.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The more I think about it the more this game would be improved by replacing all the hostile natural aliens with either more imperial alien troopers and droids OR make the animals neutral who won’t attack you because of The Force but also make it so you can use to force to make animals attack imperials. Jedi should be attuned with the force and nature such that all the rats and bats and bugs shouldn’t give a poo poo about you.