Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Anime Reference posted:

My favorite detail is that the strings don't seem to be going through the body holes. Where are they going? Is it a hybrid top-loader/string-through bridge, or did he figure out some ingenious way of stringing through the saddle screw holes?

I had to look and re-look to see this but dammit you're right. I can't figure out where the hell the end of those strings are going unless the ball end is resting against the back of the saddle pieces? But then you'd be able to see them in the photo I think. And yes I thought it was a factory screw up too because of the plastic on the pickups.

edit for new page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Anime Reference posted:

My favorite detail is that the strings don't seem to be going through the body holes. Where are they going? Is it a hybrid top-loader/string-through bridge, or did he figure out some ingenious way of stringing through the saddle screw holes?

I think it's pretty safe to say there's absolutely nothing 'ingenious' happening there at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How?!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's a cheap fixed bridge, which means the strings are pulled through the perpendicular part of the plate and then are supposed to go through the saddle, but if you're a loving moron, it's easy to gently caress that up.

Also, related to being a loving moron, the plastic film probably hasn't come off either because they think it isn't supposed to come off, or that taking it off reduces the resale value (of a guitar that has an eight dollar bridge on it.)

edit for relevant part: https://www.iknmusic.com/fleor-65mm-fixed-bridge-hardtail-top-load-guitar-bridge-6-saddle-bridge-chrome-for-electric-guitar.html

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Wow she must be a shredder

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chrpno posted:

Wow she must be a shredder

I didn't know Hitachi made whammy bars

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I didn't know Hitachi made whammy bars

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
I have a stupid story for everyone (fair warning, this might get long-winded)

About 10 years ago a customer brought me a cheap kit violin to assemble for them and told me to make it "modern", so I put mechanical tuners on it, installed a mic with a small pre-amp and put a wireless transmitter in it. Customer was very pleased and left happy.

A few years later I get an email from the new owner asking what the providence of the instrument. I told them it was a no-name kit that I slapped together for a customer who she brought it from, she then forwarded me an email from a local "expert" who she took to for some finish repairs. This "expert" claimed I'd defaced a vintage 1800's instrument by putting guitar tuners on it and vowed that he was going to make sure everyone knew what a hack I was!

I thought I'd better clarify things so I added the "expert" on facebook and told him that it was just a cheap kit which I'd put together for a customer and that I didn't deface anything. About 20 minutes later he replied calling me a filthy liar and that he could tell it's age by the quality of the wood (It was beech with a dyed non-ebony hardwood for the fingerboard, chin rest and tailpiece) and the finish (wiped on Danish Oil). I showed him a few pictures of the build which included the kit in it's box. He replied that I was a "cultural vandal" and even vowed that he was going to offer to restore the violin for free, then he blocked me.

I emailed the new owner to get some more details and she said that it wasn't sold to her as anything vintage and she had taken it to him to repair a ding in the neck and he suddenly started going off about how someone had butchered it. He had already messaged her offering to restore it, she declined and was just going to live with the ding because it didn't affect her playing, so I thought that was the last of it.....

I was wrong.

Two years later Mr "expert" unblocked me to have a rant about how I'd defaced ANOTHER vintage instrument and vowed that he was going to ruin my reputation so that no one would ever sell me a vintage instrument ever again (oh no!). I told him that I mostly did electric guitars and that the only violin I'd repaired since was a kid's violin with a busted bridge. He then sent me a picture he'd found online of a violin with guitar tuners on (I guess no one else had ever thought of doing that?), ranted a bit about cultural vandalism then vowed to trash my reputation and blocked me before I could reply.

I fancied being an rear end in a top hat so I actually went to his shop (which was pretty well respected), as soon as he saw me he ran in the back, so I just laughed and walked out.

Right after this he posted to a local Facebook group that I tried to use my "Chinese Mafia Connections" (?????????) to ruin his business online by posting fake reviews that give people computer viruses so I can steal their bank information. From the screenshots I was shown everyone was taking the piss out of him so no harm done and I forgot about it. About a year later his shop closed so I assumed that was the last of it.

I was wrong, again!

I saw my old landlord earlier and apparently he's been sending typewritten (not printed) fake legal letters to my old address saying that I owe him for lost income because I made him go mad by placing 5G emitters and magnets outside his house. They were all sent via recorded mail and the return address is a cancer hospice on the other side of the country. This has been going on for 3 years and the last letter arrived late October. I've asked the landlord to send any letters they still have to me, so fingers crossed I'll have something fun to read on the toilet soon.

(tl;dr, I put guitar tuners on a kit violin, local violin expert goes nuts thinking I'd defaced an antique instrument and starts an ineffectual 10 year campaign to ruin me, then accuses me of making him go mad with magnets).

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 17, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like that all sounds extremely weird and awkward to navigate, but I was pretty much :hmbol: when that "cultural vandal" part first came off. Goddamn.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that guy sounds seriously unwell and i hope he's getting treatment

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

whoa that is like 10 pages worth of stupid music poo poo in 1 post :frogsiren:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You can't be the only person he's gone bonkers on. I have far more questions than anything else now.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

rickiep00h posted:

You can't be the only person he's gone bonkers on. I have far more questions than anything else now.

I've never bothered to look into it, but I did a quick search using his real name and found all kinds of fun stuff about "the International Jew" and assorted old-school anti-Semitic stuff. He was also a big tonewood guy and got into lots of weird arguments that make Billy Corgan seem reasonable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've never bothered to look into it, but I did a quick search using his real name and found all kinds of fun stuff about "the International Jew" and assorted old-school anti-Semitic stuff. He was also a big tonewood guy and got into lots of weird arguments that make Billy Corgan seem reasonable.
OK, you can't drop a statement of this ilk and not tell us a bit more.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wark Say posted:

OK, you can't drop a statement of this ilk and not tell us a bit more.
Since the guy is obviously ill and I don't want to doxx him I shall paraphrase;

Mr Expert posted:

All modern maple on the market is full of micro-crystals that create an anti-resonance effect because of heavy metal contamination from secret nuclear experiments, you can re-align them using my oil-based treatment but it will not discuss it because it could prove deadly in the wrong hands

Mr Expert posted:

Ebony is a lie, there is no real ebony [weird rant about Egypt controlling the fake-ebony logging trade that loops into full turner-diaries territory]

Mr Expert posted:

If you breathe in egg whites it will get into your brain and give you Parkinsons, painters and luthiers used egg whites historically and many of them were killed by their apprentices when they couldn't work anymore, this is why Hitler killed himself

Mr Expert posted:

I can tell when the wood is transported by diesel trucks because it destroys the tone because of radiation

Mr Expert posted:

Wood harvested just after a full moon sounds better because the earths magnetic pull aligns the water correctly and creates micro-resonating chambers

The well runs deep!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno sounds like your average tonewood defender tbqh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, aside from the third one, they're all fairly expected from your tonewood defenders. :shrug:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I can tell when the wood is transported by diesel trucks because it destroys the tone because of radiation

Oh that's too good

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, aside from the third one, they're all fairly expected from your tonewood defenders. :shrug:

I'm doing it a disservice when I paraphrase (he's got a manic world-salad writing style that is really easy to google), his rant about ebony mentions 'true' ebony trees emitting microwaves and Israel manipulating Egypt to control the logging of it so their missile systems will work better, it's loopy as gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hahaha what a moron I’ll never be like that in 15-20 years hahaha!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is excellent, more please.

Has anyone ever tried getting these jokers to double-blind test their tonewoods? I'm assuming they clam up like hardcore audiophiles, if so.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mister Speaker posted:

Has anyone ever tried getting these jokers to double-blind test their tonewoods? I'm assuming they clam up like hardcore audiophiles, if so.

"Well of course I can't tell the difference right now you moron, the government has turned on its Anti-Tone Discernment Field which dampens the effects of material resonance across all organic matter to control honey bee fertility because without honey bees they'll be able to..." etc.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Of course I already knew all that I was just testing you and you failed etc...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

somebody doesn't spend enough time on tgp or talkbass or the wampler facebook group

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

somebody doesn't spend enough time on tgp or talkbass or the wampler facebook group
I haven't spend any time in November on Facebook and lemme tell you: It has been a refreshing experience!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i havent been on talkbass in over a decade is its still a bunch of dudes buying super overpriced custom basses with fancy wood grains?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ASenileAnimal posted:

i havent been on talkbass in over a decade is its still a bunch of dudes buying super overpriced custom basses with fancy wood grains?

Probably.

I love tonewoods chat because two of the three guitars I've been using on all my recent recordings are dirt cheap squiers and you would never know unless I told you. (Right guitar is that active jazzmaster I won't shut up about and the bass is a vintage modified 5 string j bass). Suck my rear end tone chasers, you can't play as fast as I can.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Tone isn't real.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Nothing wrong with liking fancy wood grains. Lots of room in this world for flame maple, burled tops, whatever. But the moment anyone starts talking the effect of the timber on the timbre, :getout:

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The last time I was on TalkBass they cycled from extended range crazy wood tops to anything other than a pre-CBS Fender is a joke. It would be fascinating to see trends as they correlate to the recession.

I realize that I have a very strange collection of instruments. I do admit that its more of a collection at this point, but it makes me happy. Some of my highlights include:
Any one else have a wacky collection?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rifter17 posted:

Let's see here,

A dinged up left handed Strat.

A made in China "Lucinda" classical guitar that won't stay in tune. Perhaps the gauge strings I put on are too light?

An old made in Japan electric that's kinda a Jazzmaster clone? I wound up slapping the cheapest Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge on it since the original was missing all the saddle pieces. It hasn't really helped as the action is way too high and lol at intonation.

So to answer the question, no. Thank you for coming to my talk on extremely poor guitar purchases.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Rifter17 posted:

The last time I was on TalkBass they cycled from extended range crazy wood tops to anything other than a pre-CBS Fender is a joke. It would be fascinating to see trends as they correlate to the recession.
If there is a correlation, the current interest in Glarry basses may be some sort of economic indicator.

quote:

Yes. My Wishbass, my Flipout guitar. And the ones I've modified in questionable ways.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
1956 Guild archtop
1967 Standel hollowbody
~2000 Epiphone Les Paul with a blue and yellow crackle finish
Some washburn electric that I use for learning how to replace/repair things
One of those Rock Band 3 strats with midi out and contacts at every fret
Recording King 5-string banjo
An unbranded strat clone electric mandolin
1970s Stage 5-string bass
Jackson 4-string bass
A bunch of acoustics
A bunch of 1/2 size instruments

Also, two pianos, an accordion, some drums, and probably some other stuff.

Edit: i guess only a couple of those are wacky or stupid

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 18, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rifter17 posted:

I realize that I have a very strange collection of instruments. I do admit that its more of a collection at this point, but it makes me happy. Some of my highlights include:

Mines pretty benign compared to most people

Standard Tuning:
Fender Highway One USA strat with hot rails and other stuff
BC Rich Mockingbird SE (the one with a varitone) with black winter bridge and jazz neck
Squier contemporary Jazzmaster with active pickups
B standard:
Goth black Gibson SG with Emg 81/85
LTD EC-401FM with emgs as well
Bass:
Squier vintage modified jazz v with quarter pounder a

It's only wacky in that I sincerely love the mockingbird and jazzmaster combo.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Man, I really don't have any weird instruments and need to change that.

I have a set of tablas and a toy piano my roommate added a pickup to, but everything else is closer to standard. Used to have a snakecharmer flute thing which was awesome, but it got lost in a move. The sound of that was weird and piercing, used to play it all the time when I was a kid.

E: actually i still use a Variax lol, so I'm gonna say that fully counts. Mainly for custom tunings (CGDGGD, open D), since I don't write enough in them to make doing a setup for it worth it.

E2: just looked it up, and my weird tuning is apparently open Csus2. Sort of surprised to see a handful of artists use it, but it allows for cool sounds so makes sense.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 18, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Weirdest thing I have is an Otamatone I still haven't bothered to practice.

Other than that it's six guitars that are all the bargain version of their respective brands.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
We're opening it up to wierd instruments in general? Because I have a cajon I was totally going to find time to practice. Was great for getting around college dorm room "no outside furniture" rules. Doubled as an extra seat in addition to table space and still holds my camera bag today.

I should dig out the book and DVD I got and give it another shot.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
My living room is a shrine to stupid music poo poo weird instruments now, courtesy of local shop that's not so much a "music store" as it was a "hoarder specializing in musical instruments". Like last time I went by you could no longer enter the store the stuff piled so high. Tragic given there were a lot of guitars in there, literally in a pile, so I stuck to things that were better stored or less resistant to warping.

But among my weird collection at home:

- A few Otamatones
- Toy piano
- taishogoto
- Koto
- Erhu
- Xiao Flute
- Dizi Flute
- Appalachian dulcimer
- crappy toy Kalimba
- cheap shakuhachi
- Melodica

The acoustic ones kinda lost favor after a while once someone else was living in the house, because some of them are a lot louder than you think so practicing becomes a but of a pain for all. The dulcimer gets the most use because it's just fun to pick up and play, it's not very loud and being mostly diatonic (i.e. diatonic plus one note) it's hard to play that badly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

stillvisions posted:

- A few Otamatones

I had no idea what these were, and am now educated. It's might be the best possible thing for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I got an Otamatone Pro for myself for my birthday this year. :toot:

I also just bought a Turkish saz that I am 99% sure isn't set up properly, but it makes me sad to play it because my cat died the same day I got it. :(

Also have my Ashbory which is such a bizarre thing and I need to swap the battery out.