Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should call Uber black if you’re landing at a normal, congested time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

sellouts posted:

You should call Uber black if you’re landing at a normal, congested time.

I land around 9PM. I could theoretically expense it but I am going to be living in LA so I might as well figure out how terrible this until we get the monorail. I’ll report back on later Saturday on how things went.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

keevo posted:

Lmao at this LAX Uber situation. All they’ve done is move the congestion from LAX to one mile outside of the airport, and then they’ve lowered prices to make up for the wait.

The existing situation was untenable and getting worse. The people mover can’t come soon enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I land around 9PM. I could theoretically expense it but I am going to be living in LA so I might as well figure out how terrible this until we get the monorail. I’ll report back on later Saturday on how things went.

Is “until we get the monorail” a joke about getting a system that never actually happens kinda like teleportation?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sellouts posted:

Is “until we get the monorail” a joke about getting a system that never actually happens kinda like teleportation?

They are building a weird people mover thing that’ll connect LAX to the rest of LA transit system in the next few years. Or will this not work?

I don’t get why it isn’t just called a monorail.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Probably because it’ll ride on more than one rail.
https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/lax-automated-people-mover-california/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

They are building a weird people mover thing that’ll connect LAX to the rest of LA transit system in the next few years. Or will this not work?

I don’t get why it isn’t just called a monorail.

LA is enormous. LAX serves a gigantic area especially internationally.

I have no idea how this works in any meaningful capacity, especially for inbound tourists. How do they get to the majority of the hotels they are not close to this line.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

sellouts posted:

You mean... the world? :D

IME the new system at LAX is a thousand times better. It doesn’t take half an hour to get from the entrance of the airport to terminal 4, and if your being picked up by a not-ridehailing ride it’s also a fucklot quicker.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

You mean... the world? :D

IME the new system at LAX is a thousand times better. It doesn’t take half an hour to get from the entrance of the airport to terminal 4, and if your being picked up by a not-ridehailing ride it’s also a fucklot quicker.

No I mean all the dipshits who talk about Burbank and Long Beach airports as the answer when they only work for people going domestically or to Mexico.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sellouts posted:

I have no idea how this works in any meaningful capacity, especially for inbound tourists. How do they get to the majority of the hotels they are not close to this line.

Connecting it to the exiting LA metro would help so drat much. It’s only a few miles away and how they didn’t do this originally is crazy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Connecting it to the exiting LA metro would help so drat much. It’s only a few miles away and how they didn’t do this originally is crazy.

There are so many cities with really good trains that don't have all their airline airports hooked up to it, just completely confounding. Berlin and New York come to mind. We only got trains to MIA in 2012, but it's great if you're in a transit catchment area and have a mid-morning flight. The connection from Manhattan to JFK isn't great but it's better than the Berlin Tegel bus.

Is the plan for LAX to eventually have a people mover between the terminal landsides, the ride sharing lot, and the nearby transit station?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is the plan for LAX to eventually have a people mover between the terminal landsides, the ride sharing lot, and the nearby transit station?
Those plus a not-yet-built rental car center.

Which is a blessing and a curse.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

No one takes metro here and the flyaway busses are not fast and have like 5 locations.

Santa Monica to LAX: 35 min by car. 1hr 12 min by public transport
Downtown to LAX: 30 min by car. 50 min by public transport.
Manhattan Beach: 15 min by car, 30 by public transport
Malibu: 1hr by car, 2hr 20 by public transport.
Universal Studios: 50 min in car, 1hr 20min by public transport

It’s so spread out here, it’s really tough but I don’t see the mindset changing on public transport. Especially with no real north / south lines in current construction. So subway from Santa Monica to Universal Studios requires changing trains all the way downtown. Silly.

So if you’re traveling for business spring for car service or Uber black if your company values your time.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

sellouts posted:

No I mean all the dipshits who talk about Burbank and Long Beach airports as the answer when they only work for people going domestically or to Mexico.

Yes, but if you ARE flying domestically then you absolutely should fly into Burbank or Ontario :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nikosoft posted:

Yes, but if you ARE flying domestically then you absolutely should fly into Burbank or Ontario :colbert:

Even Santa Ana if you can.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cocoa Crispies posted:

There are so many cities with really good trains that don't have all their airline airports hooked up to it, just completely confounding. Berlin and New York come to mind. We only got trains to MIA in 2012, but it's great if you're in a transit catchment area and have a mid-morning flight. The connection from Manhattan to JFK isn't great but it's better than the Berlin Tegel bus.

This post inspired me to do my periodical reading up on Brandenburg Airport and goddamn, it might be delayed to 2021.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

No one takes metro here and the flyaway busses are not fast and have like 5 locations.

It’s so spread out here, it’s really tough but I don’t see the mindset changing on public transport. Especially with no real north / south lines in current construction. So subway from Santa Monica to Universal Studios requires changing trains all the way downtown. Silly.

So if you’re traveling for business spring for car service or Uber black if your company values your time.

I mean part of the problem is that driving is too convenient. The metropolitan area is a product of car culture. Fine at a certain population but doesn't scale all that well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What NYC airport doesn't have train service to Manhattan? LGA? I know both JFK and EWR do.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Even Santa Ana if you can.

Yep, I bet it's quicker to rent a car at John Wayne and drive to downtown LA than to do the same thing from LAX.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What ever happened to Elon’s dumb tunnels?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nikosoft posted:

nikosoft posted:

Yep, I bet it's quicker to rent a car at John Wayne and drive to downtown LA than to do the same thing from LAX.

Is this a real take?

Also Burbank serves 16 cities. Ontario 19. LAX 167.

Y’all wild if you’ll take a connection and all of the risk of that vs just doing lax.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

What combination of luggage is everyone going with?

I have a Tumi Carry-on and backpack. I’ve got general junk in my backpack including my iPad, a few laptops - I’m a crazy tech worker :smith: and a book. Am I being unreasonable that I should be able to fit two weeks worth of clothes including a suit in my carry-on?

I never check bags even on two week trips. Space Gopher laid it out spot on; my usual go-to is look up reviews of local laundry places ahead of time and build a little time in my schedule for wash day. I've also gone high class (expense hotel cleaning, which is pricey as poo poo the world over) and low class (sink laundry, incl. portable clothesline and scrubber) but generally speaking if I'm on a 10-15 day trip I take an hour or two and hit a laundromat assuming I'm not in some rear end-up part of the world where that's difficult.

I'll do this any day over checking bags. Even if checking bags goes well most of the time it is an extra hassle I can do without, and you only need for it to go wrong once or twice before you swear off it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sellouts posted:

Is it even like that during prime time rush hour?

I landed around 5PM PST Today. Walking to the bus pickup area from Terminal 7 or 6 was easy even if the sidewalks are a little narrow. The signage is pretty damned good. I cheated and went with a cab since I’m exhausted but I kind of prefer the new layout. It is a little daunting be so close to all the airport terminal traffic but it gets the job done.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 17, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ixian posted:

I never check bags even on two week trips. Space Gopher laid it out spot on; my usual go-to is look up reviews of local laundry places ahead of time and build a little time in my schedule for wash day. I've also gone high class (expense hotel cleaning, which is pricey as poo poo the world over) and low class (sink laundry, incl. portable clothesline and scrubber) but generally speaking if I'm on a 10-15 day trip I take an hour or two and hit a laundromat assuming I'm not in some rear end-up part of the world where that's difficult.

I'll do this any day over checking bags. Even if checking bags goes well most of the time it is an extra hassle I can do without, and you only need for it to go wrong once or twice before you swear off it.

I’ve got a few airline pilot family friends. I’m continuously reminded that I better be willing to lose anything in my checked baggage. How airlines do this is beyond me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ixian posted:

II've also gone high class (expense hotel cleaning, which is pricey as poo poo the world over)

I don’t know what some places do that but that high end dry cleaning is awesome? It makes my clothes feel like brand new? It’s incredibly weird granted expensive. Sometimes I want to smuggle myself to the dry cleaner so they can proper teach my dumb rear end how to iron a shirt like an adult.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Is this a real take?

Y’all wild if you’ll take a connection and all of the risk of that vs just doing lax.

I switched a lot of my nonstop LAX flying to one stops out of SNA this year. I also live closer to SNA.

The QOL is better this way I think.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I’ve got a few airline pilot family friends. I’m continuously reminded that I better be willing to lose anything in my checked baggage. How airlines do this is beyond me.

I check bags often and while I’m familiar with the TSA love letter, I’ve had bags delayed a day (that Delta fire in August 2016), and occasionally my luggage has been damaged, I’ve never had anything go missing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

I switched a lot of my nonstop LAX flying to one stops out of SNA this year. I also live closer to SNA.

The QOL is better this way I think.

Fair enough I guess, sna and lax really aren’t that close with traffic depending on when you fly.

Adding 2+ hours to land, Deplane, wait, board another aircraft and getting to takeoff doesn’t match the ease of lax for a direct to me, but different strokes for different folks. If you haven’t been bitten by the delay via connection that costs you business I guess I understand.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Please tell me where to watch monday night football in vegas and also any generic happy hour/cocktail/beer spots or after work dinner for 1

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I thought Bar Code was pretty solid for a chill place off the strip.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Waroduce posted:

Please tell me where to watch monday night football in vegas and also any generic happy hour/cocktail/beer spots or after work dinner for 1

Strip, downtown or elsewhere? Where you staying?

There’s always sports books, Lagasse Stadium, etc.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

A220 for my SJC-SEA hop, it’s very nice. Delta makes good plane decisions.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ive literally never been. Im down for whatever except clubbing onv I land 10am monday and am working remotely, im onnsite 9-5 tues, wed and thurs and the only flight i could find that wasnt an 8am departure time was 11.50pm thursday night down at 6.30AM just in time for Miami rush hour. Im tempted to check the two spots you just mentioned. Im staying at the holiday inn resort thing just off the strip since the venitian was 300$ and furrher from my client. No justification:(

I like breweries as well.

LaGasse looks super cool. Which sports book is good seems like alot

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2019

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Is this a real take?

I did it for years! And I'm talking about time when you land - if you have a choice between a direct flight into LAX and having to take several hops, then yeah, of course you take the direct flight. If you CAN get a direct elsewhere, then I will absolutely contend that unless you are traveling somewhere immediately adjacent to LAX, then the airports to the north, east, and south are usually quicker depending on time of day and whether you need to get a rental. Drop-off time has to be factored in this too, unless this new set up has relieved the congestion in that last half mile of getting to the goddamned airport in the first place.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The new Turkish airlines lounge in MIA Terminal E is pretty nice guys

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I saw some pics, depending on where in MIA my flight is today I might check it out instead of the centurion club.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

They closed the old premium lounge/admirals club in terminal E - did they make it into a Turkish lounge?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

I've also gone high class (expense hotel cleaning, which is pricey as poo poo the world over)
Not in India it's not. The hotel I stay at will do a week's worth of laundry for like $7.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

They closed the old premium lounge/admirals club in terminal E - did they make it into a Turkish lounge?

Im not sure but i believe so. Be warned theres a short stair case you have to drag your carryon up ><

E: im checking out the Lagasse thing and sports book at the ventian tonight, going to so the bit bar deal or lotus of siam tomorrow or wed as well. I think both were reccomended by goons here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Do you guys use a VPN while you're in China? Going to be there for three days for work and need to be able to answer emails and access the internet.