Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Valve are so focused on their own little bubble that I really wouldn't put it past them to release this game as VR exclusive. Just leave it to the community to hack it into a playable non-VR version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm willing to bet money it'll be VR exclusive

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ErrEff posted:

Valve are so focused on their own little bubble that I really wouldn't put it past them to release this game as VR exclusive. Just leave it to the community to hack it into a playable non-VR version.

Sounds like a Win-Win for Valve. Focus and release on the thing they love working on and let the community handle the rest with the tools they (probably) provide.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

EA Sports posted:

the main reason steam is the size that it is is forcing people to adopt it back in the day. I didn't find out about steam until I tried to join a counterstrike server and WON was down for the whole day.

forcing people to install a program that required fairly hefty downloads back when broadband service was something like 15 percent of internet users was pretty "tonedeaf". I know my 56k took like an overnight to download bigger updates.

steam ran absolutely atrociously on single core processors at the time like I had. like locking your whole system up randomly just for having it loaded and minimized.

This is exactly why (well, it and the billions of years worth of rumors, code leaks and now supposedly a verified leaker giving away the prerecorded reveal interview that explains why Valve might be doing this) Valve doing a VR exclusive Half-Life game makes perfect sense. They've literally never been afraid of pissing off their own customers, or publisher, or general partners. Nobody liked it when Valve delayed Half-Life 2 at the last minute and then decided to make Steam a requirement for playing the game and the game's launch was a total shitshow by all accounts. But it all worked out famously well in the end.

Valve is out of touch enough that they absolutely will try a repeat of that but with VR, despite extremely different (and difficult) market conditions. They don't think that a multiple hundred dollar (if not thousand) investment is going to be an insurmountable obstacle for Half-Life fans. A part of that trust is undoubtedly because the game itself will be a full-fledged, polished, single player Valve FPS like in the good old days, but with a modern touch and deep VR integration, running on a brand new engine. Or that's what Valve thinks it will be, at least.

But here's the thing: even with all the strong rumors and corroborated sources in the world, for all we know, somebody's been building up to one of the biggest gaming related hoaxes in years for the last couple of months. It's all or nothing. If they really announce this next Wednesday, I guarantee you it won't just be a Half-Life themed VR shooting gallery, because that's in direct opposition to what Valve has been saying about their "flagship" VR title. But who the gently caress knows anymore, it's Valve. Maybe next Wednesday is when they announce In the Valley of Gods is now available on Steam. Maybe that's why some of the Campo Santo guys still have the game on their Twitter bios and one of the promo art guys is talking about hunkering down and getting ready to ship.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Even if HLAlyx is real I doubt it would actually be fully featured compared to how massive games are now. CDPR is 550 people and they're basically all working on Cyberpunk, I dont believe that Valve would put more than 50 people on a game for very long these days.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Having looked at all sides of it for a bit I'm gonna go with :george:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

No Wave posted:

Even if HLAlyx is real I doubt it would actually be fully featured compared to how massive games are now. CDPR is 550 people and they're basically all working on Cyberpunk, I dont believe that Valve would put more than 50 people on a game for very long these days.

Valve employs like 350 people. There's a lot of manpower there, even discounting people who'd be on other projects or doing Steam support etc. And even then, remember that Cyberpunk is a fully fledged massive RPG with an open world. HLVR would be a tightly focused narrative-driven FPS like Half-Life 2 was. If you go back and play that game today, you'll notice it's not very long at all by modern standards. I could totally see a VR "flagship" title come in at around that same length.

That said, because lol, here's the original source document. What do I spy with my little eye on top of the page, in bold, added since I last saw it yesterday?

"leak" posted:

Update: Before you read, here's something you should know: PC Gamer decided to run this story, with this document linked inside of it. This was an awful decision on their part, as it has the possibility to delay the actual teaser, or release of the game. You should be ashamed of yourselves for deciding to run a story for clicks alone. I personally ask that you stop supporting them, and support Tyler McVicker, a content creator who runs stories on Nintendo, Valve, and Bethesda instead, as he puts much, much more effort into his content. If you're looking for full information on HLVR, and HL:A, I suggest this video.

Screw you, PC Gamer, and screw your standards.

Sincerely, NCE, and the rest of the VNN community.

I think a certain Valve news reporter may be slightly regretting putting his whole reputation on the line for this Wednesday's supposed announcement

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

mods change my name to content creator tyler mcvicker

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Triarii posted:

I feel like we need to come up with a new term for the "walking simulator" genre now that Death Stranding has come out and shown us what an actual walking simulator is like.
Narrative exploration game has always been the unsung one because it actually tells you what the games are.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Getting mad at the idea of creating exclusives to sell platforms is the hottest of takes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'd be kind of annoyed if the first Half Life game in over a decade was exclusive to a 1000 dollar VR platform...but not really that annoyed because the last time I tried to play HL2 it lost me pretty quick. I loved it the first time I played it but the pace is pretty glacial in the beginning.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Making a VR game is downright normal next to Valve trying to make their own line of PCs or their very own OS.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty sure HL:Alyx will be a VR spinoff, linking HL2 to the soon-to-be-released HL3. I, for one, can not wait for HL3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Getting mad at the idea of creating exclusives to sell platforms is the hottest of takes.

I don't think anyone is particularly mad at it. If anything it's practically inevitable so everyone's just like "Yep, that's gonna be it."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
VR is real and my friend so I love this rumor.
You do have to be out of your mind to think that a made for virtual reality game can be modded to play flatscreen though, they are completely different experiences in just the controls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Chad Jihad posted:

There's only one mid 2000s console game with good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Cgug8RbbA&t=18s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhycudlBc0&t=37s

Maybe Tokyo Ghoul is good actually :thunk:

You know, I kind of miss Mechassault. I would go around in the Uziel variant with gauss rifles and kneecap Atlas players since they inevitably were too concerned with the other assault mechs to realize I was murdering them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/18/planet-zoo-is-temporarily-a-game-about-mass-producing-knackered-warthogs/

quote:

those who had got in early on endangered, prestige or hard-to-breed animals are now hoarding them, only selling them for wild sums. Prices have soared, making gorillas, tigers and the rest completely inaccessible to new players, while Pandas have become virtually mythical: beasts that might as well be made from pure diamond.

quote:

Oh, and to make matters even more splendid, the animals people are selling on are the ones with genetic mutations that make them undesirable for further breeding – they might be highly susceptible to disease, tiny, incredibly short-lived, or even completely infertile. These sell for the lowest prices as well, naturally. Starting off as a new player, then, with your tiny pool of CC, you’re going to be spending a lot of time scrolling through pages and pages of dying mutants, desperately seeking something that won’t horrify your guests, and might have a chance of breeding.

quote:

any attempt to simulate an economy risks also simulating economics, which is what we call it when millions of individual, rational decisions act together to create utter madness on a grand scale. Now, unfortunately, economics has happened to Planet Zoo.

Video games once again helping prove that Capitalism is horrible.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You don't understand, they just didn't implement the free market the right way. Capitalism is fine.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, it's okay to disagree with me! And you're right, Hitman is a really flexible game. I just like instinct a lot for how it helps with stealth and with how it highlights interactable items.

Also speaking of disagreeing with people I respect, Audish! I got Dead Secret finally thanks to your review and it being bundled and it has a chase sequence in it! If I had known about that, I could've saved myself the money. :( Exploring a spooky house slowly is really cool, but running frantically from a killer is not my jam. (I had a similar problem with the Painscreek Killings, too...)

Sorry about that! Being chased in games is super uncomfortable for me too but not a deal-breaker, so I'll be more explicit about those sequences in the future.

Triarii posted:

I feel like we need to come up with a new term for the "walking simulator" genre now that Death Stranding has come out and shown us what an actual walking simulator is like.

Excuse me, Miasmata came out seven years ago and is the hardest of hardcore walking sims, featuring momentum as you descend slopes, stumbling over rocky terrain, and tumbling head over heels from first person if you fail to walk your rear end in a reasonable, upright manner.

Broken Cog posted:

I can't envision Valve releasing a new Half Life game as a VR exclusive.

I mean, it would be absolutely loving hilarious, but I cannot imagine that they'd be that tonedeaf. At the very least it would be cross platform

Edit: Actually I can't wait for this to be some sort of Lab 2.0 thing. Gotta relive that Artifact reveal reaction

Valve releasing a killer VR exclusive was exactly what they needed to do when they first launched the Vive, to push more early adopters. Now that that ship has sailed and VR has settled into a niche gaming experience for like 0.1% of the market to play fancy tech demos for 15 minutes at a time, I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Excuse me, Miasmata came out seven years ago and is the hardest of hardcore walking sims, featuring momentum as you descend slopes, stumbling over rocky terrain, and tumbling head over heels from first person if you fail to walk your rear end in a reasonable, upright manner.
Miasmata is the game that taught me how to manually triangulate my own position with nothing but a map, a ruler and a compass. This has actually been useful to me in real life.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

Valve releasing a killer VR exclusive was exactly what they needed to do when they first launched the Vive, to push more early adopters. Now that that ship has sailed and VR has settled into a niche gaming experience for like 0.1% of the market to play fancy tech demos for 15 minutes at a time, I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do.
pretty much. it's amusing calling all the VR hype 5 years ago as just another failed dump of VC and other money for people to get once and then sit in a cupboard collecting dust for years until it all ends up at a garage sale or Goodwill. maybe they could have done something with actually building up good games for it first, but they didn't, and now there's 50 different sets and everyone has been burned and forgotten about it.

~BuT ThIs TiMe It's DifFeRenT~

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
VR is cool (it's me, I'm the dipshit with two headsets*) but yeah, there's definitely not enough actual games for it compared to experiences and it limits how much use I get out of it. There's a lot of cool stuff it can do with seated-type things but everyone seems to make their games a room-scale thing and that's a pain in the rear end. AC7's VR mode makes me really want a full game like that instead of three missions. No man's sky was cool in VR but I wish it would just let me use a controller instead of all the motion control grip stuff.

*I got a PSVR last year and it was cool enough I wanted more, but it was kind of underpowered, so when I got an actual gaming PC I got a rift S.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

fappenmeister posted:

I saw that Kingdom Under Fire 2 is launching on Steam shortly. Anyone already playing via the publisher's website and have any thoughts about it?

I enjoy it. Story is laughably bad and that korean pacing of story is there (Super slow, super generic characters yacking at you), but once you get into the RTS battles, its great.

First 10 levels are tutorial, blast through them because they suck. Lvl 13 options open up for troops and selection, so it gets better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I spend hours playing Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades in VR weekly and man if Valve had their hands on it oh BOY would it be a good time.

Those of you mocking VR now with the Oculus and Index sets out now are either being contrarian or haven't actually tried it, it is truly real this time. Not a replacement, but it's actually here now. It's cool as hell.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

Xaris posted:

pretty much. it's amusing calling all the VR hype 5 years ago as just another failed dump of VC and other money for people to get once and then sit in a cupboard collecting dust for years until it all ends up at a garage sale or Goodwill. maybe they could have done something with actually building up good games for it first, but they didn't, and now there's 50 different sets and everyonely has been burned and forgotten about it.

~BuT ThIs TiMe It's DifFeRenT~

The Index sold out immediately and initial orders only finished shipping the 24th of August (ahead of schedule by a month, mind you).

Now the headset has been out long enough to prove there are no catastrophic flaws with it and they've had a couple months to build up stock ready to ship worldwide. If they are putting anything out, it's the perfect time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Det_no posted:

The Index sold out immediately and initial orders only finished shipping the 24th of August (ahead of schedule by a month, mind you).

Now the headset has been out long enough to prove there are no catastrophic flaws with it and they've had a couple months to build up stock ready to ship worldwide. If they are putting anything out, it's the perfect time.
Yeesh, 800€ just for the headset and controllers, 1000€+ if you also want base stations, whatever those are for. I've been interested in VR lately, but I think that's a bit more than a fancy wearable monitor is worth to me at this time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Rage shotgun is better after a few upgrades, but if anything, they hosed up by making you so weak and pitiful in the beginning of the game. In Doom '16, for example, you're a fragile baby doom marine, but you can still melt faces with the pistol charge shot, still gently caress poo poo up with the first weapon upgrades. You're powerful, but not as powerful as you will be. In Rage, you're just not powerful at all.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cardiovorax posted:

a fancy wearable monitor is worth to me at this time.

You should actually try it if you have the opportunity, and with a PC headset. Yeah it's expensive and there is no way around that, especially because the nature of VR (running dual high resolution displays each with their own rendering pipeline since each eyeball gets it's own visual feed) means that it pushes graphics card harder than any 4K monitor could requiring beefy GPU power.
You need the stations because that's how the system tracks your movement. Seeing that you describe it this way means you haven't actually tried it.
Virtual Reality as it is these days is a fundamentally different experience than typical games, if it weren't then you'd have no need for the hyper specialized contr schemes that the headsets have.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even if VR is very cool, which it is, $1,000 on top of a computer to run it is a crazy ask for most people.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
hell yeah can't wait for the same brain geniuses who made Artifact and cant make a decent UI to save their lives release a VR only title

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

You should actually try it if you have the opportunity, and with a PC headset. Yeah it's expensive and there is no way around that, especially because the nature of VR (running dual high resolution displays each with their own rendering pipeline since each eyeball gets it's own visual feed) means that it pushes graphics card harder than any 4K monitor could requiring beefy GPU power.
You need the stations because that's how the system tracks your movement. Seeing that you describe it this way means you haven't actually tried it.
Virtual Reality as it is these days is a fundamentally different experience than typical games, if it weren't then you'd have no need for the hyper specialized contr schemes that the headsets have.
You're right, I haven't, although I've been spending a lot of time lately looking up interesting videos of all the stuff you can do with it that you otherwise couldn't. Sorry if being flippant about it annoyed you, but, well, I'm a student, so a thousand Euros for something that I can really only use to play a limited number of video games is just a lot more than what I think I'd get out of it.

Orv posted:

Even if VR is very cool, which it is, $1,000 on top of a computer to run it is a crazy ask for most people.
Long story short: yeah, this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesnt really matter how good the one thousand dollar peripheral that only runs on a powerful desktop is. you're an early adopter if you buy it and being an early adopter makes you a sucker.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Orv posted:

No Wave posted:

It doesnt really matter how good the one thousand dollar peripheral that only runs on a powerful desktop is. you're an early adopter if you buy it and being an early adopter makes you a sucker.

That's where I'm at on VR. Let me know when it's under $300 and there are lots of games. Until then, it's going to be 3D TV to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

That's where I'm at on VR. Let me know when it's under $300 and there are lots of games. Until then, it's going to be 3D TV to me.

You can get a secondhand Rift S for 3 hundo if you look around, and there’s enough games to make it worth it. Elite Dangerous and House of the Dying Sun are great if you like space stuff, Beat Saber is good for a seated type deal, Superhot VR and Borderlands 2 VR are good shooters... most of the games I’ve had the best time with are conversions of existing games to VR but it’s really hard to describe the difference VR makes. Especially to anything where you’re driving or flying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are sub-300 VR sets already, so if you want, I can tell you. I hear they're mostly kinda trash, though.

You know what, just look here: https://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's still loving hilarious that VR is in the early adoption phase after existing for more than 30 years.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cardiovorax posted:

There are sub-300 VR sets already, so if you want, I can tell you. I hear they're mostly kinda trash, though.

You know what, just look here: https://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets

I'm also just not very interested in general and wouldn't want one that is kinda trash. Or a used one that has been sitting on some gamer's sweaty head. I'd spend that money upgrading or building a new PC way before I'd bother with VR.

I think we're past the point of it being a fad or something, but it's still just a nice to have, like seat warmers in a car.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

It's still loving hilarious that VR is in the early adoption phase after existing for more than 30 years.

3D movies have been around a lot longer than that, and people who bought 3D tvs still ended up with abandoned hardware.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm also just not very interested in general and wouldn't want one that is kinda trash. Or a used one that has been sitting on some gamer's sweaty head. I'd spend that money upgrading or building a new PC way before I'd bother with VR.

I think we're past the point of it being a fad or something, but it's still just a nice to have, like seat warmers in a car.
Can't blame you for any of that, it's why I've been unwilling to make the investment as well so far. It's really not something you need, so like a lot of Man Toys, it's silly expensive for what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Sinteres posted:

3D movies have been around a lot longer than that, and people who bought 3D tvs still ended up with abandoned hardware.

3D TVs still work as a TV though at least. This is a peripheral. Like if the PS4 flopped at least I'd have a nice media/blu-ray player.

Hey though I found a thrift store that was overjoyed to take my HD-DVD player + collection!

edit: Issue with VR is that there are billions of other amazing games that don't need VR. Even when there's a catalogue that's worth playing I can just not play some games and still be overwhelmed by the amount of content for my computer - which a billion companies are dying to make more accessible via streaming crap already. It's not like it's getting harder to PC game. poo poo, Intel's latest integrated GPU is worth a drat and we'll probably be seeing entry level gaming open up to even more people with even less hardware than ever.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 18, 2019