Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In Pennsylvania, land law like hoas can be murky black magic and a last person really has no chance beyond the most surface issues. It’s confusing for lawyers and courts too

A lot of times it’s not even remotely as simple as looking at the hoa instrument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

evilweasel posted:

that being a "may" instead of a "shall" is not good for you. one natural reading is that ARC is allowed to veto unreasonable impairments of views, but is not required to - i.e. you can't sue for them not vetoing, but perhaps your neighbor could sue for vetoing arguing the impairment was "reasonable"

personally if i were drafting something like an HOA (which i don't do) i would intentionally draft it to minimize the obligations of the HOA to any one resident. because the HOA doesn't want to get sued every time they do something. so i would draft it to be long on powers of the HOA, but very short on any actual obligations of the HOA. and at the end of the day i might get pushback not from the potential busybodies (who would want to sue to get the HOA to do things) but from the people afraid of the HOA being busybodies (who might want some recourse to stop the HOA from doing things).

so i would 100% have drafted this to give you absolutely no recourse in this situation, provided the HOA actually approved the stuff. i would have form approval papers for approving landscaping that state the HOA considered unreasonable obstruction and found that any potential obstruction of views was reasonable. i would have tried to ensure that any requirements to consider view, etc, gave you precisely no rights. if you want to be a busybody about what the HOA does, your remedy is to control it by getting elected, not lawsuits (because lawsuits are expensive to fight). a well-written contract minimizes lawsuits: lawsuits are expensive and your clients don't like it when they get sued. they prefer not to get sued, and if you're drafting this HOA agreement the HOA is basically your client.

if he did not get the HOA approval, then the HOA may be able to tell him to go gently caress himself and pull down the trees and submit an application, where they could decide to veto it for obstructing your views. again, them having the power to veto his trees is different from you having the power to make the HOA veto his trees.

again, none of this is advice on your hoa, which isn't my specialty and which i haven't read, but all of that is my gut reaction to why i would guess you do not have a claim against the hoa

That all makes sense, thank you.

It's really maddening to me that they could pay so much lip service to view protection and in reality it may not mean a single thing legally and on top of that it may all come down to whether or not some boob on the Architectural Committee even bothered to look at the landscaping plans for more than 3 seconds before approving them. That isn't right, whether or not it's how it works legally.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the HOA decides not to act on its own, you might consider a coup of the HOA board. You can lobby your neighbors on the basis of "look at how the HOA let my neighbor destroy my view, they'll let it happen to you too unless we fix this" and eventually you might be able to either encourage the HOA board to take action to protect your views in order to avoid getting tossed out in favor of candidates who promise to everyone to actually act to protect their views, or, actually toss them out and put in place a board that will act to protect your views.

I mentioned it's a petty government-like entity for a reason, and this is why. If you want to force governments to do things, the expensive way is to sue them: the... also expensive way is to lobby them, and the third also very expensive way is to vote for someone who promises to do the things you wanted, possibly that person being you yourself.

If it seems like a huge loving hassle to get involved in essentially a political campaign in your tiny enclave, well, that's ultimately what an HOA is, sorry.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Cali:

Rustbucket car got jacked. Police recovered it and caught the dudes but its totaled. Because the car is so old I didn't bother to get comprehensive since the deductible would likely reach the car's value. I'm in a pretty tight spot financially, is there any way to get money out of these folks so I can get another rustbucket? They're also college aged millennials like myself so i'm not expecting anything here. Also im not sure if this is how laws work. Guide me goonawyers.

yeah, call your lead investigator (whichever cop gave you his card) and tell them your situation. The DA may make some form a restitution a condition of the defendant's probation.

However, know that process could take months and months (much like a civil suit) so assume that on the off-chance you ever do get cash out of that deadbeat, it still wouldn't be anywhere in the near future.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Consider [this] an effort post about why HOAs are generally good things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

buglord posted:

Cali:

Rustbucket car got jacked. Police recovered it and caught the dudes but its totaled. Because the car is so old I didn't bother to get comprehensive since the deductible would likely reach the car's value. I'm in a pretty tight spot financially, is there any way to get money out of these folks so I can get another rustbucket? They're also college aged millennials like myself so i'm not expecting anything here. Also im not sure if this is how laws work. Guide me goonawyers.
California has a pretty awesome restitution statute.
It makes paying you back a term and condition of probation (though limited by ability to pay). Even if they can't pay, it is non-discharable by bankruptcy so you can come back and haunt them when you have money. Call the DA's office. DA's here love getting restitution because generally if they get you a few grand you'll probably vote to re-elect them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

yeah, call your lead investigator (whichever cop gave you his card) and tell them your situation. The DA may make some form a restitution a condition of the defendant's probation.

However, know that process could take months and months (much like a civil suit) so assume that on the off-chance you ever do get cash out of that deadbeat, it still wouldn't be anywhere in the near future.

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, suing them for the value of the car is a way to make them give you money. If they don't have money, you can't get much out of them. You might be able to garnish their wages. You might be able to get legal authority to take some of their stuff and sell it at auction. You're probably screwed.

Also ask the police if they are pressing charges/prosecuting, and if there's any criminal procedure for victims to obtain restitution. Unlikely, but a chance.

Check with your insurance to be sure, but without comprehensive coverage you're probably screwed.
Thanks for the info. Considering the details about them that the investigator told me, I don't see myself getting much/anything out of them.

nm posted:

California has a pretty awesome restitution statute.
It makes paying you back a term and condition of probation (though limited by ability to pay). Even if they can't pay, it is non-discharable by bankruptcy so you can come back and haunt them when you have money. Call the DA's office. DA's here love getting restitution because generally if they get you a few grand you'll probably vote to re-elect them.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Thanks for the info. Considering the details about them that the investigator told me, I don't see myself getting much/anything out of them.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

Good luck. My brother's store got hit by "The Scooter Bandittm" (a dude riding around on his scooter smashing storefronts and stealing from cash registers) once many years ago, and when he was talking to the DA about restitution, he asked if he could have the scooter instead of the cash but they told him "no." lol.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Good luck. My brother's store got hit by "The Scooter Bandittm" (a dude riding around on his scooter smashing storefronts and stealing from cash registers) once many years ago, and when he was talking to the DA about restitution, he asked if he could have the scooter instead of the cash but they told him "no." lol.

Someone else probably got to it first. Like the DA.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What happens if an execution gets botched and the condemned somehow survives? Do they just try and redo the execution or are they considered "executed" but survived?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on wikipedia and some recent articles I saw on Imgur or facebook or whatever, historically they just keep trying until it finally works, like one dude was hanged three times before it finally took? But it was all in relation to a current case where a guy is arguing that because he survived his execution attempt, he has served his sentence and shouldn't be executed again. Which at first glance might seem like he's just weaseling, but in that case, there were actually a couple details that made it potentially a really sensible take. But I forget what the details are.

Google suggests it can go both ways in recent years. So the real answer is, I guess, "it depends", probably mostly on how hosed up the state in question wants to be.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 19, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'd say making a second attempt at executing someone is cruel and very unusual.

In a sane world I would think a judge would just make it life in prison and let the guy go off to that.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thread has talked about this before, I'm certain. P sure it has to do with how the sentence is worded. Like if it says we're going to hang you and you don't die, whoops. If it says "hang from the neck until dead" or whatever, then that's clearer.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Yeah, I would assume it all hinges around the legal definition of the punishment. I would have a hard time believing that any judge would interpret "sentenced to death by lethal injection" to mean "we're going to try and kill you but if we fail on that first try, no do-overs". I could see the resultant court case being really sticky, though, with lots of Clintonesque "it depends on what 'is' is" sort of wrangling. IANAL, of course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When do you file the appeal tho. In between the attempts ?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I mean, I can't imagine that most prisons have a brace of lethal injection chemicals waiting on the sidelines in case the first one fails, so, yeah, when they stick you back into your cell, you might have time to file while they figure out what the gently caress just happened.

Let's not forget the important question, though: would you get a second Last Meal?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If a lethal injection gets botched, the convict is going to be in no condition to go back to their cell. He's going to die, it just takes longer than expected and it's more painful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I believe the actual answer is that there were some British common law cases where people survived execution but it's not a modern thing any more.

A quick Google finds the cases of Anne Green, "half hangit Maggie", Inetta de Balsham.

A modern example is Romell Broom, who survived a lethal injection in 2009 and is scheduled to be re-executed on June 17, 2020. He maintains his innocence.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A modern example is Romell Broom, who survived a lethal injection in 2009 and is scheduled to be re-executed on June 17, 2020. He maintains his innocence.

Huh, that one is weird. They never got the drugs in his system because they couldn't get an IV going.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iirc death warrants have a specific day on them, so if you manage to survive the day they have to stop trying to execute you while they get a new death warrant because the old one expired

this more commonly comes up with last minute stays, not botched executions

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

evilweasel posted:

iirc death warrants have a specific day on them, so if you manage to survive the day they have to stop trying to execute you while they get a new death warrant because the old one expired

this more commonly comes up with last minute stays, not botched executions

Yeah, that's why it's usually done in the middle of the night, or in other words right after midnight so they don't run out of time.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

If a lethal injection gets botched, the convict is going to be in no condition to go back to their cell. He's going to die, it just takes longer than expected and it's more painful.

God loving drat just give me a standby like seppuku

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Similar issue: https://www.sciencealert.com/an-inmate-claims-that-his-sentence-ended-because-he-died-and-was-revived

quote:

"Schreiber is either alive, in which case he must remain in prison, or he is dead, in which case this appeal is moot," Judge Amanda Potterfield wrote.

No claiming you 'died' and came back to life either.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

"...this appeal is moot,"

Your Honor, I do not think this word means what you think it means

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

quote:

"Schreiber is either alive, in which case he must remain in prison, or he is dead, in which case this appeal is moot," Judge Amanda Potterfield wrote.

It’s like Schrodinger’s Motion

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

euphronius posted:

When do you file the appeal tho. In between the attempts ?

Better have your secretary call the court and let them know the motion is coming

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I feel silly asking this question, but is a university even capable of violating the 1st amendment? Possible wrinkle - school is a state school.

https://provost.indiana.edu/statements/index.html

tldr; Professor is openly racist, sexist, homophobic on social media, VP/provost states that these views do not give IU standing upon which to violate the constitution by firing him, with a nod to the 1st amendment. Any lawyerly folk out there care to opine on whether there's actually a constitutional issue here, or just misdirection/misinterpretation of freedom of speech/religion?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

There are cases discussing the first amendment right of a state employee to say things outside of work. I forget the rules, but there are rules and they often get complicated in university contexts.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Ratatozsk posted:

I feel silly asking this question, but is a university even capable of violating the 1st amendment? Possible wrinkle - school is a state school.

https://provost.indiana.edu/statements/index.html

tldr; Professor is openly racist, sexist, homophobic on social media, VP/provost states that these views do not give IU standing upon which to violate the constitution by firing him, with a nod to the 1st amendment. Any lawyerly folk out there care to opine on whether there's actually a constitutional issue here, or just misdirection/misinterpretation of freedom of speech/religion?

Not a lawyer, but there have been some pretty big blowups over whether professors can be fired for their social media posts. My guess would be that the VP/provost doesn't actually know what they're talking about but is buying time for the school legal team to take a look.

Also, that they're probably talking about the school's constitution, not the national one.

If I were to guess further, this dude is probably tenured so firing him wouldn't be an easy matter anyway.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

tinytort posted:

Not a lawyer, but there have been some pretty big blowups over whether professors can be fired for their social media posts. My guess would be that the VP/provost doesn't actually know what they're talking about but is buying time for the school legal team to take a look.

She’s a law professor.

IU is a state university in a state run by chuds. Firing a dude for being a chud off-duty would just rain poo poo down on them from the governor and state legislature, who pay the bills.

She is being smart imo as a not-lawyer but onetime academic administrator.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

Huh, that one is weird. They never got the drugs in his system because they couldn't get an IV going.

That’s because competent medical professionals won’t have anything to do with the grotesque circus that is American capital punishment.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Firing a tenured state university professor for anything short of killing a person on campus is drat near impossible.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So if you have a Doogie Howser, MD situation going on with your kid, and they graduate high school at like 10 years old, would the current collective bargaining agreement allow them to be drafted by the NFL at age 14?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mercenarynuker posted:

So if you have a Doogie Howser, MD situation going on with your kid, and they graduate high school at like 10 years old, would the current collective bargaining agreement allow them to be drafted by the NFL at age 14?

You have to use up all your college eligibility first, unless you get approval from the NFL (which is how juniors etc. get drafted). In your hypothetical, this 14 year old played all four years in college, or has graduated already, in which case he is technically draft eligible.

I mean, your real question is, "is there a specific age requirement" and the answer is "no."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think the real question might be is there an age limit for college football players, from either the NCAA or the college itself.

If they’re ineligible to play in college then they can’t use up any requisite college eligibility.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BonerGhost posted:

"...this appeal is moot,"

Your Honor, I do not think this word means what you think it means

In law, it can mean "theoretically debatable, but of no practical significance."

That's where "moot court" comes from: the whole point is academic debate without a real-world outcome.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think the real question might be is there an age limit for college football players, from either the NCAA or the college itself.

If they’re ineligible to play in college then they can’t use up any requisite college eligibility.

Yeah, but if they graduate without ever having played (or never went to college at all, which does happen) then they are still eligible.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

NFL from 14-18, then you gotta go to NCAA

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The other thing to note in the college professor thing is that I've seen just as many attempts, if not more, to drum university professors out of their jobs for mentioning LGBTQ people positively in class or saying that the Palestinians might not universally be terrorists etc. The same laws that prevent them getting kicked out by right wing outrage mobs is also keeping people with racists views in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Munin posted:

The same laws that prevent them getting kicked out by right wing outrage mobs is also keeping people with racists views in place.

Lest we never forget.