Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with cliffhangers unless your brain literally can't handle the delayed gratification

Sort of a false dichotomy

Cliffhangers are just the narrative equivalent of a Jump Scare. Effective yes, but they're a low effort form of story telling. Far more insulting than the "flashbacks for the audience" imho. It shows a lack of confidence in the work that they think they need to rely on them.

Again, show is great, solid 7 out of 10, this is my one nitpick

I'm sure everyone has something about the show they don't like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with cliffhangers unless your brain literally can't handle the delayed gratification

I usually enjoy a good cliffhanger because I enjoy the mid season speculation and discussion that comes from them. But I get why some people wouldn’t like it 🤷🏻‍♂️

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if they had tried to cram an explanation of what's in the hatch into the Season 1 finale instead of saving it for the Season 2 premiere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mean to be insulting with this but I honestly find it utterly baffling that anyone could complain about episodic cliffhangers in a TV show.

I mean, yeah, they're frustrating. That's the point.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Imagine if they had tried to cram an explanation of what's in the hatch into the Season 1 finale instead of saving it for the Season 2 premiere.

It would ruin what is easily one of the best season openers ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7GkdaLSxeQ

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Really the only bad cliffhanger is one that's just a cheap misdirect and doesn't end up moving the plot forward in any way. If LG is kidnapped and taken somewhere else, then that's fine. If he's killed, that's kind of a weird way to off him, but it's not cheap. If they show up and he's already left the house and the next time we see him he just says "boy, I just had a close call", then that is kind of cheap.

The ending of the loot train GoT episode where it ends with a shot of Jamie sinking to the bottom of a lake is a pretty textbook example of a cheap cliffhanger. No one leaves that episode convinced he's really in danger, and indeed he's immediately rescued at the beginning of the next episode, by the same companions he'd been with in the previous. It didn't give any hint of the shape of things to come, and didn't move the story forward in any way, or have lasting impact on the character in any way.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Arist posted:

I don't mean to be insulting with this but I honestly find it utterly baffling that anyone could complain about episodic cliffhangers in a TV show.

Yeah like holy poo poo don’t ever watch 24 it’ll give you a heart attack

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

General Dog posted:

Really the only bad cliffhanger is one that's just a cheap misdirect and doesn't end up moving the plot forward in any way. If LG is kidnapped and taken somewhere else, then that's fine. If he's killed, that's kind of a weird way to off him, but it's not cheap. If they show up and he's already left the house and the next time we see him he just says "boy, I just had a close call", then that is kind of cheap.

The ending of the loot train GoT episode where it ends with a shot of Jamie sinking to the bottom of a lake is a pretty textbook example of a cheap cliffhanger. No one leaves that episode convinced he's really in danger, and he's immediately rescued at the beginning of the next episode, by the same companions he'd been with in the previous. It didn't give any hint to the shape of things to come, and didn't move the story forward in any way.

AMC’s The Killing was pretty bad with this. Every episode ended with some new information that made Simone a suspect, and then that info would immediately be put into a different context at the opening of the next episode.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MaoistBanker posted:

West Wing S1 is the loving worst. Someone on the radio yelling "WHO'S BEEN HIT?! WHO'S BEEN HIT?!" after gunman fire into the Presidential motorcade as it fades to black. The DVD has the same music playing over the credits on each episode so this really loving happy and jaunty tune playing over the credits after every sad episode is the funniest loving thing I've ever heard

Nearly every season of the West Wing had a lovely season ending cliffhanger.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Darko posted:

On rewatch, I don't mind the flashbacks as much; I saw them as trying to ape Nolan stuff like The Prestige or the Dark Knight movies where the main character flashes back quickly at critical moments to give you their mindset

The original Watchmen comic does it, like, all the drat time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Arist posted:

I certainly am not complaining that they're frustrating. They're exceptionally lazy to the point that they break immersion. No different from that infamous lingering shot of Alice Eve in her undies in Star Trek into Darkness

The storytellers are either worried their product needs to be propped up by cheesecake shots, jump scares, or ending a story mid beat, or that their audience is slack jawed enough that they need the most base forms of stimulation

IMHO watchmen is good enough and the audience smart enough that it doesn't need to rely on them. But you know what? Shakespeare had political intrigue on the same page as dick jokes so maybe the best storytellers are the ones that cater to everyone all at once

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Cliffhangers and jump scares aren't "objectively" bad. There are countless examples of effective uses of them. They're one of many tools in the writer's toolbox, and just like all the other ones, it's all about the execution.

In any case, nobody watching this latest episode should expect LG to be dead, or even in danger of dying. The suspense is obviously in how he survives and what happens after that. And because we spent the entire episode getting to know the guy, we now care what happens to him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Groke posted:

The original Watchmen comic does it, like, all the drat time.
Yeah for real. I started rereading the comic for the first time in over a hundred years the other day and it happens way more than I remembered. The pages with the Paglicacci joke are a good example.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I certainly am not complaining that they're frustrating. They're exceptionally lazy to the point that they break immersion. No different from that infamous lingering shot of Alice Eve in her undies in Star Trek into Darkness

Whoa there buddy, that’s probably the only think I liked from that movie

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hansen85 posted:

Cliffhangers and jump scares aren't "objectively" bad. There are countless examples of effective uses of them. They're one of many tools in the writer's toolbox, and just like all the other ones, it's all about the execution.

In any case, nobody watching this latest episode should expect LG to be dead, or even in danger of dying. The suspense is obviously in how he survives and what happens after that. And because we spent the entire episode getting to know the guy, we now care what happens to him.

Oh man, how funny was it when Mercutio held the sword up to his groin and said it was his swizzle stick?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

lol I want whatever galaxy brain poo poo you're on

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Confirmed that it's Europa in case anyone was still not certain.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

The first thing Veidt did when Rorschach and Nite Owl showed up was to confess and give all the details how he did it.

They didn’t even know! Veidt’s ego is so monstrous he had to make sure they knew every detail so as to be impressed with the ruthlessness and brilliance of the Smartest Man In The World.

Well they would have found out pretty quickly anyways.

Veidt's a megalomaniac but I don't believe circa 1985 Ozy would be so cavalier as the video to Redford.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Watch it be that Veidt’s video is forged to pin the massacre on him while not realizing that Veidt IS the mastermind behind it all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I figured it was probably Trieu who built Veidt's prison because it seems out of character for Manhattan, but after the reveal it's some sort of dimensional pocket on Europa it's almost certainly a creation of Manhattan's.

Angela is going to have one hell of a bad trip next episode.

Re: psychics, couldn't the 11/2 squid deaths just be due to the pressure wave of a giant squid teleporting into NYC? All the people who died were bleeding from their ears.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think veidts SAVE ME D has to be SAVE ME DR (Manhattan). Because unless starship technology is 1000x better in Watchman timeline than on earth who the gently caress else could mount a mission to Europa to save one guy?

That still leaves the question of how he got there in the first place though.

When he says that the place is a prison, is it literally built as a prison intended for him or did he perhaps stumble upon it and find himself marooned there? "When I first came to this place I thought it was a paradise but now I know its a prison". Since Veidts not a complete moron if someone was explicitly imprisioning him it would have taken less than a year to figure that out.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 18, 2019

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Like almost every episode of Breaking Bad ended with a cliffhanger and it was fantastic.

Saying it doesn’t work in “modern storytelling” is just an admission one has had their mind broken and enfeebled by stupid “binge watching” Netflix culture.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

massive spider posted:

I think veidts SAVE ME D has to be SAVE ME DR (Manhattan). Because unless starship technology is 1000x better in Watchman timeline than on earth who the gently caress else could mount a mission to Europa to save one guy?

When he says that the place is a prison, is it literally built as a prison intended for him or did he perhaps stumble upon it and find himself marooned there?

This episode showed/introduced teleportation tech being used by terrorist so the better refined/stronger applications of the technology most likely already exists. I don’t think starships come into the equation at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Darko posted:

I love Irons' goofy take on the more comic-like version, though.

Honestly I just assume they had a camera crew follow Irons around as he does his normal day to day life and just edit out the weird homophobic tirades.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why bring up Lost? Why claim it's a Big Deal? Calm down

Just saying cliffhangers are bad in modern storytelling. There's a reason the term specifically refers to 19th century media when it was important to leave the audience unfulfilled

This isn't a cliffhanger, if you can't handle an episode ending without everything being resolved maybe serialized television just isn't for you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sleeveless posted:

This isn't a cliffhanger, if you can't handle an episode ending without everything being resolved maybe serialized television just isn't for you.

I gave it a 7/10 :-)

Weapons down, bud

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I got a lot of Vince McMahon vibes from Veidt's speech this episode.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Forceholy posted:

I got a lot of Vince McMahon vibes from Veidt's speech this episode.

Yeah I thought Old Veidt was supposed to be a bit deranged from his isolation and age, but the 1985 recording makes it clear that he's always been a Nut in this telling

Which TOTALLY works for a guy who's obsessed with Legacy and uses Ozymandias as a brand

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Re: psychics, couldn't the 11/2 squid deaths just be due to the pressure wave of a giant squid teleporting into NYC? All the people who died were bleeding from their ears.

A large part of Veidt's plan was having artists create horrifying alien imagery and encoding it into the squid brain so people would be overwhelmed by the sensory overload.

Really not too crazy that psychics exist in a world where Dr. Manhattan does. poo poo, maybe Jon was a sensitive and that's how his consciousness survived his disintegration.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I don't believe that all of the flashbacks in the Glass episode are due to poor editing; dude has severe PTSD and that involves regular flashbacks. it was a good way to personalize the episode to him, in my opinion.

side note, did anyone else notice the painting of the squid's eye in the 7K headquarters?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Mantis42 posted:

Well they would have found out pretty quickly anyways.

Veidt's a megalomaniac but I don't believe circa 1985 Ozy would be so cavalier as the video to Redford.

How? All the plotters were murdered by Veidt. He even killed his butlers to cover absolutely everything.

Rorschach could figure Veidt had SOMETHING to do with Blake’s death, but not exactly what. And the connection to the Squiddening is not direct- Blake saw something on an island, he may or may not have understood all the implications, but it looked bad.

Blake is dead and can’t talk. Moloch, his confessor, is dead and can’t talk.

Dreiberg didn’t get it and didn’t really believe it, but he trusted Rorschach.

Veidt learned in 1985 that the best way to conceal 11/2 was to make threats into co-conspirators.

Manhattan basically said “do what you want, this is better than the alternative, I’m not here to judge your morality” and hosed off.

Rorschach is a red mist. His journal is believed only by extremists, and it leaves a lot of poo poo out.

Dreiberg kept his mouth shut until at least 2019 as per Peteypedia.

Laurie only talks as ‘insurance’ as per Peteypedia.

Keene tells Looking Glass that he can talk, but no one will believe this conspiracy theory bullshit since 7K dead-Enders are considered loons.

Imagine you are Barack Obama. In 2009 you are given a videotape recorded in 1999 where Stephen Hawking confesses to planning and doing 9/11 in order to save the world, and addresses you by name years before you even thought of running. You can expose him or you can work with him to get all your policy goals accomplished. Hawking is one of your heroes.

If you expose him you risk human extinction and mass chaos. What do you do? You obviously can’t outsmart this guy, he is so many steps ahead of you it’s absurd.

(In the comic Doomsday Clock, Redford does expose Veidt, which leads to the Nuclear War happening in 1992, and Ozymandias moving to the DC Universe)

Veidt thinks he’s Alexander the Great, but better. How can you stop him? In the video, he did it 7 years ago! You risk everything by exposing him. He believes he has the entire world in check.

If you expose him you are now complicit because you knew and did nothing.

If you don’t expose him you are complicit because you knew and did nothing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

massive spider posted:

When he says that the place is a prison, is it literally built as a prison intended for him or did he perhaps stumble upon it and find himself marooned there? "When I first came to this place I thought it was a paradise but now I know its a prison". Since Veidts not a complete moron if someone was explicitly imprisioning him it would have taken less than a year to figure that out.

But why would Dr. Manhattan save him if it was Manhattan that put him there in the first place? Also that satellite orbiting means that someone else is watching too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
SAVE ME DAN,

USING ARCHIE,

AS IT IS HERMETICALLY SEALED

AND YOU HAVE A HISTORY

OF RESCUING MASKS

FROM CAPTIVITY

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

18 years and several rereads after first reading the book and I finally notice the drat smiley face.
(don't ever assume something is 'obvious' in a story)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pellisworth posted:

I seem to remember in the supplemental material that Veidt had been working on teleportation tech, but if what was teleported came into contact with something already occupying the space it went into, it results in an explosion.

The concussive force of something as big as the squid was likely enough to wipe out most of the carnival goers in Jersey. And those that weren't killed outright were affected by the psychic pulse(?) that the creature's brain put out upon its death.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

As has been pointed out, Veidt calls Dr. Manhattan "Jon" throughout the comic. And yeah, for sure he's trying to be saved with interdimensional tech rather than space tech.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just realised Looking Glass cannot be a psychic because the entire point of his mask is to block psychic influence. his purported ability to see lies came about because he's just that paranoid from the time someone lied to him and the world ended.

ymgve posted:

But why would Dr. Manhattan save him if it was Manhattan that put him there in the first place? Also that satellite orbiting means that someone else is watching too.

My current thoughts are that the place on europa is a discarded Dr Manhattan science experiment that Adrian teleported himself to for whatever reason.

There may be clones of varying intelligence- dumb version 1.0 ones programmed to imprint on the first person they see and smarter 2.0 ones like the warden, the smart ones hate him but will tolerate him so long as he doesn't try to escape and reveal their existence.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 18, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SAVE ME DAN,

USING ARCHIE,

AS IT IS HERMETICALLY SEALED

AND YOU HAVE A HISTORY

OF RESCUING MASKS

FROM CAPTIVITY

I have to believe the secret leader of the US would know that Dan Dreiberg has been locked up since 1995.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I gave it a 7/10 :-)

Weapons down, bud

You better have a strong argument and the guts to carry it through some challenges if youre gunna call something objectively bad because thats a hell of a criticism to level at anything involving art and entertainment, bud.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Nail Rat posted:

I have to believe the secret leader of the US would know that Dan Dreiberg has been locked up since 1995.

I'm near certain they've got a clone in jail and Dan never left Oklahoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's a pocket dimension that Manhattan created. He went to Europa to create his own life and made a little bubble where human beings could survive (to not make the same mistake he made when he took Laurie to Mars!). Veidt knew that Manhattan went to Europa (hence the satellite) and followed him there using the teleporation and interdimensional tech that had already been in the works in '85. So now he's stuck in a little pocket dimension with a bunch of half-formed quasi-humans that Manhattan created and got bored with until he hosed off somewhere else. The warden is only imprisoning Veidt because they're a bunch of backwards yokels with brainworms. They put Veidt up in a mansion because he's clearly the smartest man on Europa.

That doesn't sit right to me. It feels like an imposed exile. Presumably either Manhattan or the Government knows the truth and is punishing him for doing what he did, and/or containing him because he's so extremely dangerous.