Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TTerrible posted:

It's not quite that clean.

I'd wager even less so now that its been out/established for a while and there's a timeframe of inaction on GW's part as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DandyLion posted:

I'd wager even less so now that its been out/established for a while and there's a timeframe of inaction on GW's part as well.

I feel like I'm imagining the weird little boxes they sold in store with codes for an army builder app because I now can't find anything about it on the internet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Corvus Belli has had an Infinity Army Generator with full rules for years. GW hasn't done it yet because I assume they are terrible at supporting their own games.

I mean, part of this is also GW's continued insistence on charging for rules in every format.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TTerrible posted:

I feel like I'm imagining the weird little boxes they sold in store with codes for an army builder app because I now can't find anything about it on the internet.

You're thinking of Combat Roster I believe. drat Shame.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah the continued absence of an official GW army building app is really confusing. I see the point that they can then make money on selling books, but it doesn't seem like it could be as profitable as selling little toy soldiers. Also, I think you could still make money selling the books if they were the only way to get the lore bits, and continued making collector's editions. Lot's of people prefer to have a physical set of rules to page through too. The Azyr app for AoS is pretty serviceable, so clearly they can make something like that, and also they must not mind Battlescribe that much if they haven't acted against them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The complexity of army building between Sigmar as 40K is practically incomparable. There are units in 40K where up to fifteen different models in the unit can take up to two different (and differently costed) weapons independently of any other model in the unit.

Sigmar list building is "How many increments of X identical models do you want in this unit?" with maybe two whole options and a banner.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DandyLion posted:

You're thinking of Combat Roster I believe. drat Shame.

Nah that is the new thing. This was a few years back. I know a friend bought into it at one point, i'll see if he still has anything related to it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
For future reference anyone who tells me they really love the 40K setting and wants to play a game based in it but has no interest in buying models or painting them and isn't really even that bothered on what form the game takes, I just tell them to play a 40K RPG instead.

Get hold of a PDF and own some dice and you're ready to go.

If their reply is "but I wanted to move my soldier men around" I just tell them to figure it out themselves.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, part of this is also GW's continued insistence on charging for rules in every format.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The rules and data should be entirely free and publicly available anyway. The amount of money we spend on their drat plastic really ought to be enough. Sure, sell fancy leather-bound collectors editions full of cool fluff and art at a premium and poo poo, but the god drat rules and data sheets should just be out there for anyone to use.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

And if it is broke, develop an 8th edition.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The rules and data should be entirely free and publicly available anyway. The amount of money we spend on their drat plastic really ought to be enough. Sure, sell fancy leather-bound collectors editions full of cool fluff and art at a premium and poo poo, but the god drat rules and data sheets should just be out there for anyone to use.

I don't see a single reason for GW to change how they're doing things in this post that isn't literally "this for-profit company should be happy with a fraction of the money they make right now" which fuckin' :lol: on that one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, I have to say Age of Sigmar is pretty great.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I have to say Age of Sigmar is pretty great.

Age of Sigmar isn't perfect. The app alone doesn't tell you what your army abilities, command traits, artifacts etc. DO unless you buy the book but at least the books in the app are a substantial discount so I guess there's that.

And letting you view warscrolls for free is a good way of getting a hint at what an army can do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just lol if you bring six books to play a game of anything though. I am excited happy with my tiny little AoS book and the army book.

The fact that 40k does not get the same treatment as AoS is pretty telling about the customers.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just lol if you bring six books to play a game of anything though. I am excited happy with my tiny little AoS book and the army book.

The fact that 40k does not get the same treatment as AoS is pretty telling about the customers.

It's pretty telling about where the games themselves are.

Age of Sigmar is a new game with new mechanics whose very existence pissed off people who'd been playing Warhammer Fantasy Battles for decades. They started in a hole, and needed to get as much good will as they could as quickly as they could. So tossing the fans a bone in the form of a moderately usable app is just one more step towards trying to win an audience.

40k was GW's most popular product, even back in 7th edition when nearly everyone was pissed about some aspect of the game, be it the main rules, the game balance, or the way certain armies were treated. Now in 8th with some of those issues either resolved or mitigated, 40k is about as popular as it's ever been, the incentive is to put out as much as they can while the popularity is high. Why make an app that won't actually make much more money for you when you can invest in more books or models that will sell at much higher margins? GW may never be in this good shape ever again, and while it might be smart of them to invest in the future to a degree, the temptation to milk that cash cow while she's still in the barn has got to be mighty strong, especially for a public company with stockholders to appease.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For all the poo-pooing about "needing" eight books to play Marines, literally no one at a game store has ever demanded I have every applicable book on me at all times when playing. I feel like that's significantly a 'big tournament' kind of thing and not actually something that the average person playing a random-rear end game on a weeknight gives a single poo poo about.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah, there seems to be an unspoken acknowledgement that you don’t really need the codices so long as you have a valid list and understand how your rules work. Often times the written requirement is you have all your books, but no one checks. I’m sure there’s plenty of people who could be ejected from games if someone wanted to be a jerk and question it to TOs, but I haven’t seen that particular kind of jerkiness happen.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Revelation 2-13 posted:

The core rules to play a game of 40k are, in fact, already free. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Rules
The datasheets for units can also be found in the assembly instructions for the models of said units. If you don't want to buy the models, then I'm sorry but this hobby may not be for you.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Two Beans posted:

The core rules to play a game of 40k are, in fact, already free. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Rules
The datasheets for units can also be found in the assembly instructions for the models of said units. If you don't want to buy the models, then I'm sorry but this hobby may not be for you.

Well that is not really accurate, the instructions for a decent number of units predate sometimes drastic changes in the codex. You could dick around with buddies with the instructions, but it is a bit of a stretch to imply that all you need to buy is the models.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I only need one, maybe two books when I play 30k. The main rulebook for missions and the usual stuff or simply to resolve basic rules disputes. Then the generic legion list in case I need to reference something or write a new list on the spot, but I can mostly skip it as long as I come with a prepared list. I memorize everything else.
:smug:

My legion doesn't have real rules or its unique units yet. Memorizing my current rules and wargear is very easy.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Psychic Awakening II: Faith and Fury Review, Part 2: Space Marines

Psychic Awakening II: Faith and Fury Review, Part 3: Black Templars

Part II and III are up of your F+F coverage. We are also doing a Part IV based on the lore of the book so keep your eyes peeled folks! 

Hammer of Math: T’au C’alc’ulations

Beer looks at the insidious Tau (drone) mence. 

Necromunday: The Book of Ruin Review

Dan and Merton review the latest Necromunda book.

Content We Liked, 11/17/2019

Chur rounds up our fave content for the week.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not opposed to buying rulebooks, especially considering how much I drop on models themselves.

But I can't defend how it currently is. The data and rules are so spread out between the core codex, expansions like Vigilus, chapter approved, supplements in the case of space Marines, then all the relevant errata and FAQ.

Then GW does things like reprint a condensed rulebook with none of the errata.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
back in my day if I wanted to play Ulthwe I needed a copy of the Rulebook, Codex: Eldar, Codex: Craftworld Eldar, Codex: Eye of Terror, Chapter Approved 200X, and probably an issue or two of white dwarf.

other than the rulebook I only actually owned one of these

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finished the Red Gobbo. I have two, this is the Christmas one for the local store event thing- the other one I hope to have done... eventually.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Finished the Red Gobbo. I have two, this is the Christmas one for the local store event thing- the other one I hope to have done... eventually.

He’s the most beautiful boy ever posted in this or any other thread on SA.

He brings a tear to my eye and a spring to my step.

11/10. Fantastic.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can you legally take those Chaos Ogryn from Blackstone in a Chaos Space Marines detachment? If not, how can you use them in a game of 40k and still keep a detachment's faction abilities and traits and whatever?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So what's the deal with the Necromunda chaos cultists? Are they out yet? Trying to get some cultists for the black legion.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Sisters box is gone.

Will Goonhammer be doing an Adepta Sororitas codex review soon?

Gaussian fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 19, 2019

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gaussian posted:

Will Goonhammer be doing an Adepta Sororitas codex review soon?

Does the Emperor poo poo on the golden throne?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

He’s the most beautiful boy ever posted in this or any other thread on SA.

He brings a tear to my eye and a spring to my step.

11/10. Fantastic.

I don’t know what to say- thanks :)

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Strobe posted:

For all the poo-pooing about "needing" eight books to play Marines, literally no one at a game store has ever demanded I have every applicable book on me at all times when playing. I feel like that's significantly a 'big tournament' kind of thing and not actually something that the average person playing a random-rear end game on a weeknight gives a single poo poo about.

I definitely ask to see rules when people say they can reroll everything all the time and get plus ones all over the place. Granted it’s usually TRUE but it just SOUNDS made up.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If you carry around at least print outs for your mouse trap engineered army I shouldn't think most people would have an issue since its all there in black and white.

If they do then they're dicks an in a tournament a dick trying to get a technicality win so gently caress them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Warhammer Community | Sisters of Battle Army Set - Unboxing (11/11/2019) posted:

The first thing you’ll notice is that there’s a bucket load* of frames, ready to be lovingly assembled into the PLASTIC SISTERS OF BATTLE MINIATURES you’ve been patiently waiting for! These models are the vanguard of the new plastic Adepta Sororitas range and these particular miniatures are only available in this box.

Warhammer Community | Sisters of Battle: Situation Report (11/18/2019) posted:

Even if you don’t, or there isn’t a Warhammer store near you, don’t lose faith – the Army Box was only the tip of the blade, the vanguard of a massive Sisters of Battle release that will be here before you know it. While, for now, the contents of the Army Set are specific to that particular box, units from the set will be getting their own multipart release in early 2020.

Groetgaffel posted:

Apothecary White CONTAST works pretty well on Sisters for that. This is over wraithbone:

Oh drat, that looks really good. Makes me wish I had ordered some Apothecary White or Black Templar contrast.

goose willis posted:

Are there examples of chaos Sisters in the fluff canon or am I just thinking back to fan fluff threads from /tg/ way back in the day

Apart from Miriael Sabathiel, there's also mention/appearances of Chaos Sisters in the Warhammer Monthly comic Daemonifuge.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Not a lie, just a little misleading. When GW puts the large box sets together, the units included inside are comprised of monopose models. When GW releases the same units a few months later, the models included are multipose. Same units, different model parts.

This seems bonkers from what's known about the cost of creating the molds GW uses for its plastic models. And GW seems to have agreed. The most recent Chaos and Space Marine monopose versions are going into new "Start Collecting" boxes. Hard to imagine that won't become standard practice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Maneck posted:

Not a lie, just a little misleading. When GW puts the large box sets together, the units included inside are comprised of monopose models. When GW releases the same units a few months later, the models included are multipose. Same units, different model parts.

This seems bonkers from what's known about the cost of creating the molds GW uses for its plastic models. And GW seems to have agreed. The most recent Chaos and Space Marine monopose versions are going into new "Start Collecting" boxes. Hard to imagine that won't become standard practice.

That's fair, but they made it sound like you'd never be able to get the models again once the boxes sold out. There was some talk a couple pages back about the same thing happening with Shadowspear and the Start Collecting Space Marines, but there was no confirmation that would be the case with SOB.

I didn't order the boxset (though I imagine that if I had tried, it would have been sold out before I could finish putting in my payment info), so I thought maybe I had missed out. Then I see the new post on Warhammer Community, and it's like, "Oh, okay, I was right to wait."

-

Moving to another topic, is there a way to tell what edition of a rulebook you have? I went to a used book store a while back, and I got a copy of the 40K core rulebook, but I can't find anything inside of it that denotes what edition it is. I think it's 4e, (because of the skull on the front that has 'IV' carved into it), but I'm not sure.

Similarly, I lucked into finding a copy of Apocalypse and one of the Gathering Storm books for super-cheap at a Goodwill, but with the Apocalypse book, I don't know what edition it is. I'm not super concerned about (I mostly just bought them to browse through for painting ideas and such), but I find it odd it doesn't outright state the edition number anywhere apparent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The sisters boxed set seems inordinately expensive for what you get in it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A decent chunk of the box value is going into things other than models.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JBP posted:

The sisters boxed set seems inordinately expensive for what you get in it.

Well most of these box sets are intended to sell models at a discount, to help move stuff otherwise not selling. This is more of an early access venture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

I don't see a single reason for GW to change how they're doing things in this post that isn't literally "this for-profit company should be happy with a fraction of the money they make right now" which fuckin' :lol: on that one.

It’s bad customer service and whatever tiny amount of money the might lose on printed codexes etc. they’d probably make back on the extra plastic people would buy for that money, not to mention that many people would still like the books, even if there was a decent open sourced app.

As for the :qq: ‘bb...bbbut... they have to make money’ that’s doesn’t mean they can’t be reasonable about it.

Two Beans posted:

Oh yes, the vaunted ‘three updated datasheets ago’ stats, or the 7th edition stats that are also often in there - without any points costs.